Originally Posted by SRPlus
I'm in two minds about upgrading though, driving me crazy, got the savings, itching to burn haha...
I think its better to upgrade at the start of a new platform than at the end of one, and the 2011-3 Z10PE-D8 WS and X99-E WS have had their last CPU refresh as far as Xeons are concerned... Xeon V5's will need a new socket.
Plus with pci-e 4, NV-link server platforms, and the Xeon Purley's on the very near horizon, I'd feel a bit gutted forking out on a new workstation, being stuck on a 2011-3 platform and not being able to upgrade to the latest and greatest in the future.
My current system is ok, it does the job I built it for well, so although I'm itching to upgrade to the current Xeons, and 4x Titan Pascal, to cut my render times down to a third, It looks like I will be playing the waiting game again......
I decided not to upgrade to the 2011-3, decided not to upgrade to 4x GTX Titan X's ( Maxwell ) because the 46% performance increase over my old Titans rendering in Iray was not worth the £4K price-tag, but the newer Titan X would definitely be worth the upgrade, as it would cut my renders to a third, and pay for themselves in a few months, but there is a very high probability that we will be seeing a fully loaded GP102 next year..
Anyone else stuck in the in the upgrade now or wait feedback loop?
If you have the money to buy the newest Xeon motherboard and CPU when they come out, go for it. I just wonder what the prices will be, a basic V3 is very expensive, just imagine a V5.
This is a game you can't always be winning, you can have a year of "being at the top" at most, and only if you get the newest platform as it comes out. Unless you have money to burn, I doubt you can buy 2 of the highest end V5 when they come out. Let's assume you get the cheapest V5s instead. I bet at that moment, a same-priced V3 will be faster because their prices drop. Let's assume you buy the basic V5 anyway. Many months later when you have the money to get the top of the line V5, won't the V6 be soon on the horizon anyway?
Only if the best V3 or V4 you can afford has too little performance for you and/or has very few faster models above it, you can get the mindset that you should wait.
It's my two cents, if you have money to blow and can recuperate the investment in less than a year, go to town