Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus Z9PE-D8 Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus Z9PE-D8 Owner's thread - Page 232

post #2311 of 2477
To SRPlus
Quote:
I rarely use CPU's for rendering anymore, so my next build will probably be a single socket. the X99-e WS maybe, with 4 x Titan X ( Pascal) or maybe I will wait until this time next year and build on the new platform. Hopefully there will be a fully loaded Pascal by then...

If you buy a new PC, I can buy in Future your old PC biggrin.gif.
post #2312 of 2477
I don't need urgently this PC, I can wait - I am hobby filmmaker only. Now I have i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, GTX Titan (Kepler), Win 10. But I have seen the prices of old xeons i.e. 2670 v1 and I have got this Idea. I would like to buy Elements 3D and I found good to have a new PC for this software ...
post #2313 of 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPlus View Post

It has a basic VGA controller built in which is disabled on later bios versions. The VGA connector is on a PCI slot plate in the box and connects to a motherboard header if you want to use it, but I doubt anyone does, mine is still unopened in the box in the loft.

I love Asus support. I have call Asus hotline 2x and the asus people have told me, that this motherboard is without graphic chip - When my external graphic card does not work, I have no chance with this motherboard something to do ...
post #2314 of 2477
2x 110 Eur CPUs
1x 450 Eur motherboard
2x 80 Eur Coolers
1x 100 Eur Case
1x 150 Eur PSU
1080 Eur
+RAM
(+ Graphic Cards etc)
Edited by Jirkas - 8/31/16 at 2:51pm
post #2315 of 2477
If you are like me and have lots of spare components laying around, you could do what I did.

In may 2012 I started off with the Z9PE-D8 WS, one E5-2687w, and 32GB ( 4x8GB ) of DDR4 quad channel ECC ram. All new.

I used an old Xigmatek Elysium case, an old Dark Power Pro 1200W PSU from an old build and an old GTX 580 3GB, old 256GB SSD, and old HDD's, and old Akasa Viper fans from an old build.

Around August 2013 I replaced my GTX 580 with 2x GTX Titans, and January 2014 I purchased the second CPU, and another 32GB ram. 4 months later I purchased the other 2x GTX Titans off ebay for a vewwyy sick price :-) , replaced my power supply and changed my case. Only a few changes since then, new 1TB SSD, better fans, but I built the system up slowly, there was no way at the time I could afford to build it in one go.
post #2316 of 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPlus View Post

If you are like me and have lots of spare components laying around, you could do what I did.

In may 2012 I started off with the Z9PE-D8 WS, one E5-2687w, and 32GB ( 4x8GB ) of DDR4 quad channel ECC ram. All new.

I used an old Xigmatek Elysium case, an old Dark Power Pro 1200W PSU from an old build and an old GTX 580 3GB, old 256GB SSD, and old HDD's, and old Akasa Viper fans from an old build.

Around August 2013 I replaced my GTX 580 with 2x GTX Titans, and January 2014 I purchased the second CPU, and another 32GB ram. 4 months later I purchased the other 2x GTX Titans off ebay for a vewwyy sick price :-) , replaced my power supply and changed my case. Only a few changes since then, new 1TB SSD, better fans, but I built the system up slowly, there was no way at the time I could afford to build it in one go.

Except that it's DDR3 smile.gif
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2317 of 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirkas View Post

I love Asus support. I have call Asus hotline 2x and the asus people have told me, that this motherboard is without graphic chip - When my external graphic card does not work, I have no chance with this motherboard something to do ...

It has onboard video,wth
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2318 of 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by geort45 View Post

Except that it's DDR3 smile.gif

Haha yep, my system wouldn't have worked very well the last 4 years if I got that wrong :-)

I've been looking at X99 and C612 motherboards the last few days, deciding whether or not to upgrade now or wait, had DDR4 stuck in my head :- /
post #2319 of 2477
I'm in two minds about upgrading though, driving me crazy, got the savings, itching to burn haha...

I think its better to upgrade at the start of a new platform than at the end of one, and the 2011-3 Z10PE-D8 WS and X99-E WS have had their last CPU refresh as far as Xeons are concerned... Xeon V5's will need a new socket.

Plus with pci-e 4, NV-link server platforms, and the Xeon Purley's on the very near horizon, I'd feel a bit gutted forking out on a new workstation, being stuck on a 2011-3 platform and not being able to upgrade to the latest and greatest in the future.

My current system is ok, it does the job I built it for well, so although I'm itching to upgrade to the current Xeons, and 4x Titan Pascal, to cut my render times down to a third, It looks like I will be playing the waiting game again......

I decided not to upgrade to the 2011-3, decided not to upgrade to 4x GTX Titan X's ( Maxwell ) because the 46% performance increase over my old Titans rendering in Iray was not worth the £4K price-tag, but the newer Titan X would definitely be worth the upgrade, as it would cut my renders to a third, and pay for themselves in a few months, but there is a very high probability that we will be seeing a fully loaded GP102 next year..

Anyone else stuck in the in the upgrade now or wait feedback loop?
post #2320 of 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPlus View Post

I'm in two minds about upgrading though, driving me crazy, got the savings, itching to burn haha...

I think its better to upgrade at the start of a new platform than at the end of one, and the 2011-3 Z10PE-D8 WS and X99-E WS have had their last CPU refresh as far as Xeons are concerned... Xeon V5's will need a new socket.

Plus with pci-e 4, NV-link server platforms, and the Xeon Purley's on the very near horizon, I'd feel a bit gutted forking out on a new workstation, being stuck on a 2011-3 platform and not being able to upgrade to the latest and greatest in the future.

My current system is ok, it does the job I built it for well, so although I'm itching to upgrade to the current Xeons, and 4x Titan Pascal, to cut my render times down to a third, It looks like I will be playing the waiting game again......

I decided not to upgrade to the 2011-3, decided not to upgrade to 4x GTX Titan X's ( Maxwell ) because the 46% performance increase over my old Titans rendering in Iray was not worth the £4K price-tag, but the newer Titan X would definitely be worth the upgrade, as it would cut my renders to a third, and pay for themselves in a few months, but there is a very high probability that we will be seeing a fully loaded GP102 next year..

Anyone else stuck in the in the upgrade now or wait feedback loop?

If you have the money to buy the newest Xeon motherboard and CPU when they come out, go for it. I just wonder what the prices will be, a basic V3 is very expensive, just imagine a V5.

This is a game you can't always be winning, you can have a year of "being at the top" at most, and only if you get the newest platform as it comes out. Unless you have money to burn, I doubt you can buy 2 of the highest end V5 when they come out. Let's assume you get the cheapest V5s instead. I bet at that moment, a same-priced V3 will be faster because their prices drop. Let's assume you buy the basic V5 anyway. Many months later when you have the money to get the top of the line V5, won't the V6 be soon on the horizon anyway?

Only if the best V3 or V4 you can afford has too little performance for you and/or has very few faster models above it, you can get the mindset that you should wait.

It's my two cents, if you have money to blow and can recuperate the investment in less than a year, go to town
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
amzServer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2x Xeon X5680 EVGA SR-2 GTX 780 Ti 48GB ECC 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x120GB SSD RAID0, 120GB SSD, 2x2TB RAID1 Pioneer BDR-205 Custom WC Loop W10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Monoprice 28" 4K Logitech Dinovo Edge Corsair RM1000 Cosmos II 
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus Z9PE-D8 Owner's thread