Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › [TUTORIAL] How to remove G. Skill Ripjaws heatspreader
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TUTORIAL] How to remove G. Skill Ripjaws heatspreader

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd make this guide because I couldn't really find another for this specific memory. But before we go any further, I'd like to say
WARNING: THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY! DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

450

If anyone was wondering, this is the specific model I will be using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231497.

I am not sure if this method works on Ripjaws X (confirmed), Ares, or Trident (confirmed); if someone can confirm or deny if this works that'd be very helpful.

So anyways, let's get started!

This is what you'll need:

  • The memory module itself

    450
  • Something to pry the heatspreader with (I will be using a nail file on a pocket knife. A flat head screwdriver also works.

    450
  • Aftermarket heatspreader*

    450
  • Heat gun*

    625

* These are optional. For an alternative to the heat gun, you could use a blow dryer or run Prime95 for a few minutes beforehand thumb.gif

The Process Itself:
  1. If you are using a heat gun or miscellaneous heating method, do this now.
  2. Take your prying tool and pry downward on the side of the heatspreader so that it lifts up.

    450
  3. Do this again, except on the other side.

    450
  4. Now pry in middle near the notch. Do this again in both directions.

    450
  5. Now take your hands and slowly pry that one side off. The thermal adhesive is fairly weak, so if you did this right, all of your memory chips should be in tact.

    450

    450
  6. On the top, there are two interlocking clips. Take the side you pulled off and slide it through.

    450
  7. Here is the one side completed.

    450
  8. Repeat these steps on the other side. This is what your module should look like when you are done:

    450
  9. Congradulations! You may or may not be done. Keep reading if you'd like to see how to install an aftermarker heatspreader.
  10. Take the clips off of your heatspreader and place the module in between it. Be sure to remove any protective covers on the adhesive strip inside, if they are present. Mine did not come with any, so that was not an issue.

    450
  11. Put the clips back on.

    450
  12. Yay we're finally done!

    450

    450

Here's a picture of all of the modules installed:

400

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any questions, or if I need to edit anything biggrin.gif
Edited by YouGotJaked - 1/10/13 at 9:07pm
post #2 of 30
Nice guide! I actually was going backwards from what you did here, I had the heatsinks you put on last on some of my first ram, but I didnt like the colors I used. They were not ripjaws. I then purchased a cheap set of ripjaws off the egg and really liked the color scheme, so I bought someones set of spare sinks off OCN to match my existing ram and now have all matching modules. biggrin.gif
+r
post #3 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockosmodlife View Post

Nice guide! I actually was going backwards from what you did here, I had the heatsinks you put on last on some of my first ram, but I didnt like the colors I used. They were not ripjaws. I then purchased a cheap set of ripjaws off the egg and really liked the color scheme, so I bought someones set of spare sinks off OCN to match my existing ram and now have all matching modules. biggrin.gif
+r
Thanks! That sounds like an interesting idea. Did it work out ok?
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGotJaked View Post

Thanks! That sounds like an interesting idea. Did it work out ok?

Yup! All the same color now!

Edit: I did this a good while ago, but its nice to see a guide on it!
post #5 of 30
I can confirm that this method of removing the heat spreader works for the Trident X. (I haven't tried the stick in a machine yet, but the memory chips were cool enough to not burn me upon touching them immediately after pulling the spreaders off.)

post #6 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yevoc View Post

I can confirm that this method of removing the heat spreader works for the Trident X. (I haven't tried the stick in a machine yet, but the memory chips were cool enough to not burn me upon touching them immediately after pulling the spreaders off.)
Awesome thanks for the confirmation! Included it as an edit in the original post smile.gif
post #7 of 30
I'm considering anodizing my Ripjaw Z from red to black. I don't wanna buy new RAM, so I might decide to do this.
post #8 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratesh View Post

I'm considering anodizing my Ripjaw Z from red to black. I don't wanna buy new RAM, so I might decide to do this.
If you end up anodizing it, please take pictures! It'd be cool to a build log biggrin.gif
post #9 of 30
lol necro:rolleyes: will be doing this with my ripjaws X, and respray the spreader in Asus blue smile.gif
post #10 of 30
Hi !

Even if i hate to necro, i've found this guide completely randomly while searching for a way to remove heatspreader of g.skill memory sticks in order to install this :
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/ram-blocks/ek-ram-dominator-module-black-2pcs.html
+ this
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/ram-blocks/ek-ram-dominator-x2-acetal-nickel.html

Big Thanks to you YouGotJaked !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › [TUTORIAL] How to remove G. Skill Ripjaws heatspreader