Originally Posted by Kieran
This might be better in the Web Coding sub forum as that is where website related topics are posted.
It's a good site and i could see myself using it in the future but there are a few features that would make it appeal to a larger audience or make it more accurate.
1. Include the option for multiple currency's so users from other countries can use the site too
2. You could link to the site that the prices are from
3.More categories could be included. For example in the processor section have categories for the different sockets, motherboard section could also be split into the socket that each motherboard supports
4. Include some sort of validation that ensures that a user can only select a motherboard that is compatible with their processor e.g 1155 motherboards can only be selected for socket 1155 CPU's
Answered according to your numbering: ( I had written longer answers, but accidentally hit the back button on my mouse
1. Good idea. I'll add an option to chose between USD,Euro and Pound.
2. I am not looking to lean towards a certain online store or be biased towards any online store. I presume somebody using the site can be buying it online or maybe from his local computer shop. The prices are taken from all over the web (Amazon,NewEgg,NCIX,AnandTech), and are generally the same for anywhere you buy the parts.
3. When I thought about how I should split each part into categories, I came to the conclusion that splitting by Company and then by price ascending would be best. That way its easy to find the part you want. Also, splitting all products by the same way allows for easy usage of the site to anyone, without having to understand how each individual part is split into its own categories and making a hassle to find the part he wants to add.
The current way is friendly IMO.
4. Although I assume most people using the site won't make such a rookie mistake - I will add a warning when someone makes this mistake.
Thanks for the feedback, would love to hear of any Products or Company's you think I left out. ( Whether in general or in a specific product )
Actually, you did just burst my bubble. The only reason I made this site was because I couldn't find anything like it on the web, so I thought why not make it myself for all the other people that probably want something like this too. I can't believe I didn't find this site when I searched for something exactly like it.
However, I don't want all my time and effort to go in vein
. I will keep updating and finish this site. The only reason I can think of somebody to find my site useful over this http://pcpartpicker.com/
is that my site is more simple and friendly in my books and also it only has the parts builder, it is not a whole site with other things. The PCPartsBuilder site is a little complex to my liking. Maybe I'm just looking excuses because I feel like I just wasted a lot of time and effort for nothing, eh ?