Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Frequently Asked Sleeving Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frequently Asked Sleeving Questions - Page 91

post #901 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praz View Post

I have not found the cost difference to be great enough not to use the 13A terminals for 16 AWG wire.

Indeed, I see for example Farnell sells 39-00-0039 for €115,90 per 1000, and your suggestion, say 45750-3112 would be only €131 per 1000.

thumb.gif
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #902 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

Indeed, I see for example Farnell sells 39-00-0039 for €115,90 per 1000, and your suggestion, say 45750-3112 would be only €131 per 1000.

thumb.gif

Hello

I have found the same. The exception, at least from my sources, is the 13A 18 - 24 AWG terminals. They are 3 times the cost of the 9A rated terminals because they are offered in gold only..
post #903 of 1090
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post

Hey folks, what is an effective and easy way to measure the lengths of cable needed for each component? Are there are any nifty methods to use that curtail the need to remove any current cable management that you have installed so the machine can continue to function until the new cables are ready to be installed?

If you are talking about the IO panel to turn on your computer then yes - you can turn on your computer by using the built on on button or if you dont have one you can make a connection between the two terminals that would be for your power on button, it just needs to be connected with a flathead screwdriver for a second and the system will boot. Please be careful to not short anything else out - but this is how I start up my test benches all the time. If you need clarification please just ask.
post #904 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutro0 View Post

If you are talking about the IO panel to turn on your computer then yes - you can turn on your computer by using the built on on button or if you dont have one you can make a connection between the two terminals that would be for your power on button, it just needs to be connected with a flathead screwdriver for a second and the system will boot. Please be careful to not short anything else out - but this is how I start up my test benches all the time. If you need clarification please just ask.

Sorry if you're answering my question, but are you sure you've quoted the right comment?
Disquiet
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670K 4.5Ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 ASUS Fury Strix Kingston HyperX Fury 1866Mhz 16GB White 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 500GB Samsung EVO 840 120GB WD Caviar Green 3TB WD Caviar Blue 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Nepton 240M Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BenQ XL2730Z Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Fractal Define R4 Black Mionix Naos 7000 Steelseries QcK Mini 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audio-GD NFB-15 EVE Audio SC205 Philips Fidelio X2 AKG K7XX 
AudioOther
AKG K550 Pexon PC's Custom Cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Disquiet
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670K 4.5Ghz MSI Z97 Gaming 7 ASUS Fury Strix Kingston HyperX Fury 1866Mhz 16GB White 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 500GB Samsung EVO 840 120GB WD Caviar Green 3TB WD Caviar Blue 1TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Nepton 240M Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BenQ XL2730Z Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX760 Fractal Define R4 Black Mionix Naos 7000 Steelseries QcK Mini 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audio-GD NFB-15 EVE Audio SC205 Philips Fidelio X2 AKG K7XX 
AudioOther
AKG K550 Pexon PC's Custom Cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #905 of 1090
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post

Sorry if you're answering my question, but are you sure you've quoted the right comment?

Yup I was quoting this part
Quote:
Are there are any nifty methods to use that curtail the need to remove any current cable management that you have installed so the machine can continue to function until the new cables are ready to be installed?

at least I assume that was what you were asking. If not just ignore it lol
post #906 of 1090
I asked this question in a different thread... and got a kind of meh answer.. I am wondering.. for those of us who don't have the time or money to sleeve every single individual cable.. they sell pre sleeved extensions.. do those extensions add any kind of resistance or anything to the current flowing through them? would they impede the voltage?

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&cat=&query_string=sleeved+cable+extension for example
Gamer/Daily use
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 ASrock AB350 Pro 4 Asus Strix Rx480 8gb corsair lpx 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green Western Digital Green Samsung SSD Sony DVDR/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech H220x2 Windows 10 Pro dell se2417hgr Razer Deathstalker 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750M CM Storm Trooper Razer Orobourus 8500 dpi Corsair Vengeance MM200 430mm X 280mm 
Audio
Sennheiser HD280pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Gamer/Daily use
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 ASrock AB350 Pro 4 Asus Strix Rx480 8gb corsair lpx 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green Western Digital Green Samsung SSD Sony DVDR/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech H220x2 Windows 10 Pro dell se2417hgr Razer Deathstalker 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750M CM Storm Trooper Razer Orobourus 8500 dpi Corsair Vengeance MM200 430mm X 280mm 
Audio
Sennheiser HD280pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #907 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinValk View Post

I asked this question in a different thread... and got a kind of meh answer.. I am wondering.. for those of us who don't have the time or money to sleeve every single individual cable.. they sell pre sleeved extensions.. do those extensions add any kind of resistance or anything to the current flowing through them? would they impede the voltage?

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&cat=&query_string=sleeved+cable+extension for example

Resistance is a function of total length so yes they do add resistance of course.

But no worries, unless your wires are several meters long, there's no problem with a bit of extra length.
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #908 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

Resistance is a function of total length so yes they do add resistance of course.

But no worries, unless your wires are several meters long, there's no problem with a bit of extra length.

this was my thinking.. but as it seems that the pci-e are only about 9" in total length and the 24pin about the same... I didn't think it would make a huge difference.. just wanted to make sure..
guess if nothing else.. I can break out the multimeter lol
Gamer/Daily use
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 ASrock AB350 Pro 4 Asus Strix Rx480 8gb corsair lpx 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green Western Digital Green Samsung SSD Sony DVDR/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech H220x2 Windows 10 Pro dell se2417hgr Razer Deathstalker 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750M CM Storm Trooper Razer Orobourus 8500 dpi Corsair Vengeance MM200 430mm X 280mm 
Audio
Sennheiser HD280pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Gamer/Daily use
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 ASrock AB350 Pro 4 Asus Strix Rx480 8gb corsair lpx 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green Western Digital Green Samsung SSD Sony DVDR/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech H220x2 Windows 10 Pro dell se2417hgr Razer Deathstalker 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750M CM Storm Trooper Razer Orobourus 8500 dpi Corsair Vengeance MM200 430mm X 280mm 
Audio
Sennheiser HD280pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #909 of 1090
However, if resistance is also a function of wire gauge is there not a more fundamental problem?

All the sense wires I have seen on 24 pin ATX connectors in the Seasonic X-series PSUs are 20/22 awg.

It's been surmised that the difference in resistance of these sense wires from the 18 awg wires is what is being measured.

In a non-modular PSU, like the Corsair TX650, where these sense wires go to seperate soldered connections on the PCB, I can see how that might be the case, but in a modular PSU where the current in both the sense wires and the 18 awg measured wires are connected through the same heavier gauge PCB connectors to the PSU this difference in resistance is surely being dissipated?

Say, for example, you wished to develop a PSU manifold with short wires connecting the PSU outlets to a board at a cable access aperture with all the crossed lines sorted out, would a pair of 22awg sense wires, one of them from the PSU to be soldered to a PCB connector at the manifold and the other crimped from the manifold to the motherboard, retain the same functionality as one 22awg wire in a non-modular cable?
post #910 of 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himo5 View Post

However, if resistance is also a function of wire gauge is there not a more fundamental problem?

All the sense wires I have seen on 24 pin ATX connectors in the Seasonic X-series PSUs are 20/22 awg.

It's been surmised that the difference in resistance of these sense wires from the 18 awg wires is what is being measured.

In a non-modular PSU, like the Corsair TX650, where these sense wires go to seperate soldered connections on the PCB, I can see how that might be the case, but in a modular PSU where the current in both the sense wires and the 18 awg measured wires are connected through the same heavier gauge PCB connectors to the PSU this difference in resistance is surely being dissipated?

Say, for example, you wished to develop a PSU manifold with short wires connecting the PSU outlets to a board at a cable access aperture with all the crossed lines sorted out, would a pair of 22awg sense wires, one of them from the PSU to be soldered to a PCB connector at the manifold and the other crimped from the manifold to the motherboard, retain the same functionality as one 22awg wire in a non-modular cable?

the way the wires are connected at the source should not make much a difference.. as long as the wire is the same gauge all the way through.. one that is soldered and one that is crimped (long as they are soldered and crimped correctly) you will receieve the same output coming from the source.. the wire size and metal type used for conductor is what will determine resistance.. larger wire offers less resistance for higher voltages..
Gamer/Daily use
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 ASrock AB350 Pro 4 Asus Strix Rx480 8gb corsair lpx 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green Western Digital Green Samsung SSD Sony DVDR/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech H220x2 Windows 10 Pro dell se2417hgr Razer Deathstalker 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750M CM Storm Trooper Razer Orobourus 8500 dpi Corsair Vengeance MM200 430mm X 280mm 
Audio
Sennheiser HD280pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Gamer/Daily use
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 ASrock AB350 Pro 4 Asus Strix Rx480 8gb corsair lpx 2x4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green Western Digital Green Samsung SSD Sony DVDR/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech H220x2 Windows 10 Pro dell se2417hgr Razer Deathstalker 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750M CM Storm Trooper Razer Orobourus 8500 dpi Corsair Vengeance MM200 430mm X 280mm 
Audio
Sennheiser HD280pro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cables and Sleeving
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Frequently Asked Sleeving Questions