Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Overclocking GPU help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overclocking GPU help

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
How should I be overclocking in terms of balancing between the 2 speeds. What ive been doing is raising the first meter and checking the ati tool for errors for about 10 minutes each 5 mhz raise or so. But so far ive reached 645 mhz completely stable but I haven't TOUCHED the other meter and its sitting at 800 mhz... I don't know how to balance the two or should I continue until I'm at maximum stability with the first meter and move on to the second because it hasn't been artifacting at all... also I'm sure I can find this with a little searching but where do I find gpu temps and what are the preferable levels to be at... I'm using stock cooling in an antec p180 so overall case cooling is good but the card has nothing special on it.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelad1
How should I be overclocking in terms of balancing between the 2 speeds. What ive been doing is raising the first meter and checking the ati tool for errors for about 10 minutes each 5 mhz raise or so. But so far ive reached 645 mhz completely stable but I haven't TOUCHED the other meter and its sitting at 800 mhz... I don't know how to balance the two or should I continue until I'm at maximum stability with the first meter and move on to the second because it hasn't been artifacting at all... also I'm sure I can find this with a little searching but where do I find gpu temps and what are the preferable levels to be at... I'm using stock cooling in an antec p180 so overall case cooling is good but the card has nothing special on it.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
Core clock is the most important part, take it up as high as you can go with no artifacts in ATITool, then play with those settings in a game. If everything is good, go back into ATITool and begin to raise the mem clocks til you get artifacts. Back off a bit and check your settings in a game.

Simplest way to do it!
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
The Nvidia cards, especially that one, need lots of bandwidth, and upping the memory speed will raise your FPS more then upping the core clock.
:|
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium 4 561 ES ASUS P5GPL-X nVidia GeForce 7900GTX 2x 512MB Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB Western Digital Lite-On DVD Burner 1 <3 Beryl+Ubuntu 6.10 17" sick-ass CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse 500W Aspire Green and Glowing Logitech MX 518 
Mouse Pad
Regular Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
:|
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium 4 561 ES ASUS P5GPL-X nVidia GeForce 7900GTX 2x 512MB Corsair XMS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB Western Digital Lite-On DVD Burner 1 <3 Beryl+Ubuntu 6.10 17" sick-ass CRT 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse 500W Aspire Green and Glowing Logitech MX 518 
Mouse Pad
Regular Mat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
I just up them untill i see artifacting

(I increase while ATI tool is running)

then when i see artifacting i drop them both 10mhz and im set
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600/E6600/P4 515/Celery 352 ASUS P5K Premium Black Pearl PNY 8800GTX Gskill HZ 1000s D9GKX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Raptors 36gb Raid 0 Lite On Sata DVD-RW Custom XP Pro Dual 22" Westys WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
A4 Tech Slim Tagan 1100w U95 TurboJet Gigabyte 3D Aurora The Original G5 
Mouse Pad
Giant Rubber / Felt Pad (awesome) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600/E6600/P4 515/Celery 352 ASUS P5K Premium Black Pearl PNY 8800GTX Gskill HZ 1000s D9GKX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Raptors 36gb Raid 0 Lite On Sata DVD-RW Custom XP Pro Dual 22" Westys WS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
A4 Tech Slim Tagan 1100w U95 TurboJet Gigabyte 3D Aurora The Original G5 
Mouse Pad
Giant Rubber / Felt Pad (awesome) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by selectodude
The Nvidia cards, especially that one, need lots of bandwidth, and upping the memory speed will raise your FPS more then upping the core clock.
Can anyone else confirm this? ^

Also what temps should I be looking for I'm getting about 73 C with ati tool running at 650/800
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelad1
Can anyone else confirm this? ^

Also what temps should I be looking for I'm getting about 73 C with ati tool running at 650/800
TRY to stay under 75*C if you can... GPU's can handle more, but it'll decrease the longevity of your card. And don't worry, from here on out with just memory increases, the core temp won't go up very much, maybe a degree or two.

And yes, the G71 does like higher memory bandwidth like selecto stated.
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909
TRY to stay under 75*C if you can... GPU's can handle more, but it'll decrease the longevity of your card. And don't worry, from here on out with just memory increases, the core temp won't go up very much, maybe a degree or two.

And yes, the G71 does like higher memory bandwidth like selecto stated.
So my memory bandwidth won't go up more from 819 with the core clock at 655 (I seem to be able to raise that clock speed more though).... should I lower the core clock speed and up the memory more then or what? Right now temps are staying around 71*.. they lowered after I raised the mem clock speed.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelad1
So my memory bandwidth won't go up more from 819 with the core clock at 655 (I seem to be able to raise that clock speed more though).... should I lower the core clock speed and up the memory more then or what? Right now temps are staying around 71*.. they lowered after I raised the mem clock speed.
To be honest, you're probably maxed out on the mem frequency :-\\

To go further, I would suggest the 7600GT pencil mod or a BIOS mod if one exists. Check with born2killU for the pencil mod though.

You might get an extra 200mhz from the memory
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Sandy Beach
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704] MSI GTX780 TFIV G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB XSPC Rasa w/ RS240 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell SX2210 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Ninja w/ Browns SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved] Custom Stacker 832 Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909
To be honest, you're probably maxed out on the mem frequency :-\\

To go further, I would suggest the 7600GT pencil mod or a BIOS mod if one exists. Check with born2killU for the pencil mod though.

You might get an extra 200mhz from the memory
oh wow that would be badass
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Ok I'm still having some balancing issues here... I tried everything from scratch just out of curiosity... the max I could reach while ramping up core speed was 655/819 but now I ramped up mem clock to 854 and I'm trying to push the core until I see artifacting... the question is which one is a better idea since everyone says I get more out of the mem clock?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E6600 Asus P5B Deluxe XFX Geforce 7600 GT G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 mhz) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 250 GB NTSC Windows XP Pro Cooler Master iGreen 600w Antec P180 
Mouse
Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Overclocking GPU help