Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GameStatistics] Crysis 2 Back on Steam
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GameStatistics] Crysis 2 Back on Steam - Page 8

post #71 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Also, what games can you purchase in steam which doesn't also require steam to play? That's not a rhetorical question, I just thought that all games purchased (or activated) on Steam require it to be played.
.

There isn't very many. Skyrim was able to run without steam for quite a while, but they have since patched it. I just went through the top 10 or so games I play right now and all of them opened steam automatically once I ran the .exe. If I tried to exit out of steam after the game was open it would say please close the game before exiting steam.

I have over 70 games on Steam, but I agree with Fuell about not liking all DRM. I prefer Steam for one reason and only one reason, I started out using it. Given the choice, I would gladly do away with it if I could launch my games without steam . I use Origin as well. I feel the same way about it. I don't hate it any more or less than steam. They are all bad in my opinion. I'd wager a vast majority love steam so much because it was the first one they had more than a few games on and didn't want to fragment their library, with a little sprinkling of bandwagon steam loving.
post #72 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrAverageJoe View Post

Seriously dude... most of you anti-steam people are so focused on making a stand you don't make any sense at all. People who complain about Origin complain about their issues and how widespread they are. People who hate GFWL complain about the log-ins, region restrictions, performance hit, match-making issues, etc... Most people on OCN who hate steam usually just say "steam sucks too" or "all DRM is bad" without actually citing specific problems that are as wide-spread as the issues that plague GFWL and Origin.
What makes it even more pathetic is most steam critics on OCN don't even understand the difference between the steam digital store and steamworks DRM. How can someone take you seriously when you don't even fully understand what you're protesting against? Listen to your own argument: You went from blaming steam for forcing you to use the launcher, to admitting that all games don't require you to do so. Wouldn't logic demand that you blame the publisher, since steam doesn't make it mandatory?

Steamworks on Retail games. Perfect reason to dislike Steam.




I use Steam for one reason and one reason only: SALES. If a game isn't on sale/under £30 I don't buy it.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 105
If its there ill buy it, good work EA you heartless dogs thumb.gif

UPDATE: Its there in the Australian Store in the featured items, Crysis 2 maximum edition, purchased!!

I tell you guys what, ill be sooo annoyed if they dont release Crysis 3 in steam!!!mad.gif
post #74 of 105
They will, it will just be called Crysis 3 Maximum Edition after it has all DLC released a year later.
post #75 of 105
Little late lol.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k @ Stock ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer 2x XFX 6950 Unlocked HyperX Savage 2x8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
250GB Crucial MX200 Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 64-bit Crossover 2795 QHD 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
CM Quickfire TK EVGA P2 1000w Corsair Carbide 240 JDS Labs cMoy BB/Fiio E10 + HD 598/Q701 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4790k @ Stock ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer 2x XFX 6950 Unlocked HyperX Savage 2x8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
250GB Crucial MX200 Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 64-bit Crossover 2795 QHD 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
CM Quickfire TK EVGA P2 1000w Corsair Carbide 240 JDS Labs cMoy BB/Fiio E10 + HD 598/Q701 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 105
I almost cried from happiness. BF3 YOUR NEXT! devil.gif I have it on Origin, But she deserves to be on Steam next to the rest of my trophies biggrin.gif
post #77 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post

Here's my reason why steam sucks:
375

It sucks cause it couldn't connect to the steam servers? or are you trying to launch in offline mode? [edit] looking at the picture closer, your network icon has a Yellow ! on it, perhaps theres nothing wrong with steam and its a computer problem? (mine does that too sometimes, computer puts a limited/no connectivity error on my network connection even though i am connected to the LAN, have an IP and can browse the web, things like steam/origin/teamspeak/etc all throw up connectivity errors until i disable and reenable the connection)

......I've already got Crysis 2 on Origin (oh Origin is ok, i just launch it along side of Steam when my PC starts, i've never seen it trauling any directory outside of my games directory, it does what i need it to do, gives me access to some games i want to play, but steam is still my no.1 for games especially sales!), i just wish you could use your Origin key and put it into Steam to get it to show up in steam (much like how you can take some EA games from steam and put their keys in origin and it'll recognise it and add the game to your account (BF:BC2, C&C4, DAO, DAII, Mass Effect 2 to name a few)

oh well, hopefully more EA games that i don't have show up on steam
Edited by ShadoX - 5/30/12 at 5:55am
Liquid Dreams
(28 items)
 
NAS
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X4 640 Gigabyte GA880GA-UG3H ATI HD4250 Corsair 2x2Gb DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1T Samsung Spinpoint F4 2T Liteon DVD-+RW Zalman CNPS9500 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu Server 42" LCD Full HD-TV via 1080P HDMI None Silverstone Strider 450w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
TT Armor (w/ Custom 240mm Sidefan/Black Respary) None None 5.1 via HDMI to TV 
Other
Acer Infrared Remote control 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid Dreams
(28 items)
 
NAS
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD X4 640 Gigabyte GA880GA-UG3H ATI HD4250 Corsair 2x2Gb DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1T Samsung Spinpoint F4 2T Liteon DVD-+RW Zalman CNPS9500 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu Server 42" LCD Full HD-TV via 1080P HDMI None Silverstone Strider 450w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
TT Armor (w/ Custom 240mm Sidefan/Black Respary) None None 5.1 via HDMI to TV 
Other
Acer Infrared Remote control 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 105
-
Edited by Rotsae - 4/1/14 at 11:10pm
post #79 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by azianai View Post

So how do I play any Valve games without Steam open?
What major title released recently doesn't require steamworks DRM?
why do you classify steamworks as a separate entity from steam's digital store?

The steam digital store does one thing - sells games. When a company decides to put their game on steam it's up to the developer to decide whether or not it can run without the steam launcher. Some games require the launcher and some don't care - you can't fault Valve for that. Steamworks is DRM by Valve that's coded into the game and used for achievements and matchmaking etc. Skyrm, MW3, Metro 2033, and of course all of Valve's games use this as their form of DRM. Personally I'm not a fan of any DRM but we live in the DRM ages now and people need to accept that. So I consider steamworks as a better alternative than SecuRom, Tages, GFWL and all that other junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

But in fairness, read what they're saying--it's not just Steam, it's all forms for DRM. It's not anti-steam drivel, it's a valid disagreement with the implementation of all DRM. Despite my appreciation for Steam, I also agree with what his/her message is.
Also, what games can you purchase in steam which doesn't also require steam to play? That's not a rhetorical question, I just thought that all games purchased (or activated) on Steam require it to be played.
Why is it people get so blinded (or rather brainwashed) when it comes to DRM. You're either pro-steam or anti-DRM of any form. That dichotomy boggles my mind. Does everyone who touts steam as the best thing since sliced bread really not see that it's DRM? Albeit DRM that's so much better-implemented than most things so far, but it's still DRM. I like Steam, but I disagree with DRM in principle, and I tolerate DRM when it doesn't disrupt my gaming experience. But don't fool yourself as a steam-user, it's still the "big bad" DRM...

And read what I said... I merely called his statement FUD because it was factually incorrect and misleading. Whether or not the game requires steam launcher is entirely up to the developer. Steamworks DRM is another story - that's tied into the game. Let me reiterate my previous statement: When you try to protest something without fully understanding it you come off as ignorant and misinformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell View Post

How am I anti-Steam? Thats right, because I dislike ALL DRM. So why try to make it sound like I'm just a troll who goes around putting down steam. I don't. You then go on about people who hate GFWL or Origin do so for actual reasons, while I'm just a steam hater. You come across as a very rabid Steam Fan, a fan who is a young male one might say rolleyes.gif
In fact, if you read my posts, I list real reasons as to why I dislike steam. Oh no! I understand the difference between steam and steamworks DRM, didn't know we were arguing over exact details of this. I simply talked about how Steam is DRM, and can be intrusive. All are facts.

If you notice how our convo started, I labeled a statement you made as FUD because it was misleading and I explained why it was misleading. Had you provided an accurate and logical criticism we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It's interesting that you call me rabid when you have a very myopic view of DRM. As much as it sucks it's the age we live in. A lot of games wouldn't have been ported to PC because of the fear of piracy. Many sequels wouldn't have been funded because people pirated the original.** Steam has it's faults, but as I said earlier I see it as a reasonable compromise. You honestly believe outlawing DRM won't have a negative effect on PC Gaming?

**You can never fully stop piracy but if it's too easy to do EVERYONE will do it (remember Napster?)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1090T ASUS M5A97 EVO Sapphire HD 6970 G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch LED Monitor Logitech Wave Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech MX-518 XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1090T ASUS M5A97 EVO Sapphire HD 6970 G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch LED Monitor Logitech Wave Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech MX-518 XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post

Here's my reason why steam sucks:
375

Valid criticism. Their offline mode still has bugs in it. Granted, twice last month when my cable when out and it worked for me, but I've had problems with it in the past and I know others have issues as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Steamworks on Retail games. Perfect reason to dislike Steam.
I use Steam for one reason and one reason only: SALES. If a game isn't on sale/under £30 I don't buy it.

I can understand that logic. Steamworks is still better than the activation limits though...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1090T ASUS M5A97 EVO Sapphire HD 6970 G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch LED Monitor Logitech Wave Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech MX-518 XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom X6 1090T ASUS M5A97 EVO Sapphire HD 6970 G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch LED Monitor Logitech Wave Corsair TX750 V2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech MX-518 XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [GameStatistics] Crysis 2 Back on Steam