Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~ - Page 113

post #1121 of 3357
@frankietown
That's pretty much the same for me. I'm sitting at +70 and +200 because although it would go higher, doing so got no extra benefit in my scores. Temperature and power-wise I feel the card has a lot of room left, but why push it up if it's not going to make a difference? I've been too busy lately to spend time OCing my CPU. At some point I'll do that then see if pushing my GPU makes any difference.

BTW...I'm using an EVGA 670 4GB SC model. Maybe the factory OC limits what I can do...dunno. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the card as I can run Skyrim on Ultra with several hi-res texture packs, a full ENB SSAO mod installed and get 45-60 FPS.
Edited by TheMalazan - 12/14/12 at 7:48pm
post #1122 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisMaySting View Post

Here is a screenshot of, well, everything after running Heaven. This is my sweet spot. Actually, a little bit of a lie, it's probably within 4-5 GPU ticks and 10-15 memory ticks of of my sweet spot. I didn't fine tune all that much. I know that at 155 GPU Heaven crashed, at 150 it was fine. At 800 memory oc it crashed, at 750 it was fine. I combined the two and ran it twice, both came out flawlessly and with the first score was only one point higher than the second, I am posting the second.

NICE CLOCKS! My FTW only got too +100 on the core and +400 on the mem
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
SKYnet
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I7 4930K @ 4.6ghz ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX 970 EVGA GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4x4gb 1.5tb WD Caviar Green SATA Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD HP USB DVD 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Antec Kuhler 650 ThermalRight True Spirit 140 Power Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit Samsung 240 HD TOC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razor Lycosa PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910 NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black It clicks.............. 
Mouse Pad
IKEA $1 pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1123 of 3357
currently fine tuning my MSI PE 670 at 51 on the base clock and 510 on the memory. Kinda sad to see so many people getting much higher base clocks but at least my memory is doing decently?
post #1124 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalazan View Post

@frankietown
That's pretty much the same for me. I'm sitting at +70 and +200 because although it would go higher, doing so got no extra benefit in my scores. Temperature and power-wise I feel the card has a lot of room left, but why push it up if it's not going to make a difference? I've been too busy lately to spend time OCing my CPU. At some point I'll do that then see if pushing my GPU makes any difference.
BTW...I'm using an EVGA 670 4GB SC model. Maybe the factory OC limits what I can do...dunno. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the card as I can run Skyrim on Ultra with several hi-res texture packs, a full ENB SSAO mod installed and get 45-60 FPS.

Are the numbers posted by frankietown benchmark scores or actual max core clocks of the GPU after OC'ing?
post #1125 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Are the numbers posted by frankietown benchmark scores or actual max core clocks of the GPU after OC'ing?

They appear to be max core clocks to me. From his post I inferred that his card had hit the wall in performance. It's a bit of an apple and an orange comparing my situation with his, but it appears we both aren't getting the results others in this thread are achieving.
post #1126 of 3357
Well, that settles it....

I ran numerous benchmarks on my card today and finally had the empirical evidence to prove what has been discussed on the EVGA forums. Their 670 4GB SC won't OC. I mean it can, but it won't make any difference at all in performance. I get good temps and no crashes running at a base of 80+ with a memory boost of 300, but the Heaven scores are no better (actually a bit worse) than running the card straight stock (ie, power target 100%, no increase in voltage, 0, 0). So, if you're into tinkering with a card, this isn't the one for you. However, as I said previously, I like the card. It runs cool and gets the job done, but you're not going to be able to stand up and brag about how much boost you've given it.



Heaven stats for stock (average of 3 runs with everything in Heaven maxed): 1213, 48.1



Heaven stats for max, max, 80, 300: 1182, 46.9

The Heaven BM is all I ran. Maybe another option would show different results? Maybe the 4GB of memory limits what I can do? Those are questions for someone with more experience at this than I have. If I'm missing something obvious in my analysis, please let me know...you won't hurt my feelings.
Edited by TheMalazan - 12/15/12 at 9:20pm
post #1127 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalazan View Post

They appear to be max core clocks to me. From his post I inferred that his card had hit the wall in performance. It's a bit of an apple and an orange comparing my situation with his, but it appears we both aren't getting the results others in this thread are achieving.

So you mean having difference + values for the core clock on his/your card overclocks the card but doesn't produce better Heaven benchmark scores?
post #1128 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

So you mean having difference + values for the core clock on his/your card overclocks the card but doesn't produce better Heaven benchmark scores?

Yeah, it's there in black and white, or that's that way it appears to me, anyway. If you look at the two screens I posted you can see the memory clock went up as it should (+300), but the Heaven score went down. One of the odd things to me is how the base clock behaved. It's a much flatter line at stock, with a lot more variance when the voltage and power target is maxed. Regardless, the best score I received in Heaven was running the card at the stock-out-of-the-box settings. Again, my findings mirror what I've seen on the EVGA forums. If anyone has any insight as to what's going on, I'd be glad to hear it.
post #1129 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Are the numbers posted by frankietown benchmark scores or actual max core clocks of the GPU after OC'ing?

sorry i didn't see that anyone answered, yes this is just a max core clocks i achieved after OC'ing. so basically increasing it in the precision X never really made the core clocks go higher than 1202 for the first card and 1267 on the second card. if i try to add more it just crashes...

does that mean i have hit the wall as high as it will go?

also.. my first card it sticks to 1189 for the longest time before it clocks to 1202... its as if its being really forced to go up. does it mean thats not stable? the 2nd card just jumps to 1267 all the time.. but the first one takes its time.

btw to explain more:

- the max i have upped my clocks are +75/+400. this finishes the unigine and gives me a great score.

- i reduce the clock to +70 or +65 or +60, it WILL reduce the scores on unigine, BUT the clocks doesn't change. meaning, between +65 to +75 OC my first card will sit at 1202mhz max.

- at +65 my 2nd card finally drops in max clock acheived (to 1256). when i drop it to +60, my first card drops to 1189mhz, and i think my 2nd card drops more as well.

- so basically it allows me to OC higher than +60, and it WILL increase my unigine score, but it doesnt increase my MAX CLOCK at all... its sooo weird. for the first card it stops going up after +60, and for my 2nd card it will stop going up after +65.

my question is why am i increasing clocks, when it doesnt actually increase my clocks but does improve my unigine scores? its weird. why would it "allow" me to keep increasing the core clock, but then not really increase the max clock? and why would it let me improve the unigine score?
Edited by frankietown - 12/15/12 at 9:37pm
Death Tyrant
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k p8z77-v evga gtx 780 classified SLI corsair vengeance 16gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ocz vertex 4 256 asus 24x corsair h100 windows 7 pro 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Overlord Tempest X270SE corsair ax850 corsair vengeance c70 
  hide details  
Reply
Death Tyrant
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k p8z77-v evga gtx 780 classified SLI corsair vengeance 16gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ocz vertex 4 256 asus 24x corsair h100 windows 7 pro 64 
MonitorPowerCase
Overlord Tempest X270SE corsair ax850 corsair vengeance c70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1130 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalazan View Post

Yeah, it's there in black and white, or that's that way it appears to me, anyway. If you look at the two screens I posted you can see the memory clock went up as it should (+300), but the Heaven score went down. One of the odd things to me is how the base clock behaved. It's a much flatter line at stock, with a lot more variance when the voltage and power target is maxed. Regardless, the best score I received in Heaven was running the card at the stock-out-of-the-box settings. Again, my findings mirror what I've seen on the EVGA forums. If anyone has any insight as to what's going on, I'd be glad to hear it.

Interesting. I have a Gigabyte GTX 670 that I haven't tried ovdrclock yet though. It's weird that higher clocks produce lower bench scores.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~