Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~ - Page 194

post #1931 of 3357
Ok now i flashed my bios and set the voltage to 1.175 V with the kgb tool an nvflash:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284014-KGB-Kepler-BIOS-Editor-Unlocker
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2133/NVFlash_5.118_for_Windows.html

and now i'm able to set the load voltage to 1.175V BUT under full load my card goes up to 1.2V and boosts the gpu further and becomes unstable. suggestions where this comes from? and what is the difference between voltage table 1 and voltage table 2?
Edited by Klindworth - 3/13/13 at 9:16am
post #1932 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klindworth View Post

Ok now i flashed my bios and set the voltage to 1.175 V with the kgb tool an nvflash:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284014-KGB-Kepler-BIOS-Editor-Unlocker
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2133/NVFlash_5.118_for_Windows.html

and now i'm able to set the load voltage to 1.175V BUT under full load my card goes up to 1.2V and boosts the gpu further and becomes unstable. suggestions where this comes from? and what is the difference between voltage table 1 and voltage table 2?

1.21 is OK. dont worry, OC Hard, play games.
The Beast
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL i5 3570K (4.4GHz) GIGABYTE Z77-D3H MSI GAMING X GTX1060 6GB (2152/9400MHz) CRUCIAL BALLISTIX TACTICAL LP 2x8GB (2400MHz | ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD 256GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB LG DVD-RW 22X COOLERMASTER HYPER 212X 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
3x AKASA APACHE 120MM WINDOWS 10 PRO 64-bit SAMSUNG 23" 2333T C-PVA DVI FULL HD + Extra 19"... A4 TECH X7 G800 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ FATAL1TY 550W AEROCOOL VS-3 ADVANCE NPET V30 IR OPTICAL MOUSE NOVA WINNER II 
AudioOtherOther
ASUS XONAR U7 CREATIVE GIGAWORKS G500 AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-A500X Audiophile Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beast
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
INTEL i5 3570K (4.4GHz) GIGABYTE Z77-D3H MSI GAMING X GTX1060 6GB (2152/9400MHz) CRUCIAL BALLISTIX TACTICAL LP 2x8GB (2400MHz | ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD 256GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB LG DVD-RW 22X COOLERMASTER HYPER 212X 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
3x AKASA APACHE 120MM WINDOWS 10 PRO 64-bit SAMSUNG 23" 2333T C-PVA DVI FULL HD + Extra 19"... A4 TECH X7 G800 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ FATAL1TY 550W AEROCOOL VS-3 ADVANCE NPET V30 IR OPTICAL MOUSE NOVA WINNER II 
AudioOtherOther
ASUS XONAR U7 CREATIVE GIGAWORKS G500 AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-A500X Audiophile Monitor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1933 of 3357
I don't worry about the voltage, i want to set the loadvoltage manually to the maximum my card goes to for stable overclocking. with jumping voltages i have to go to lower clocks to get my card stable
post #1934 of 3357
Have two things to comment.

Firstly, the Heaven benchmark is highly instable for me.

Sometimes i can run with +140Mhz core clock, others will crash even with +0 core clock.

Another issue with Heaven, once it crashes, i have to restart computer in order to load again, otherwise it chain crashes.



I backed up on Furmark, with 8MSAA.

Reading your first post it said that it will throttle down for some reason. Well for some reason it doesnt throttle down on me. I get 1257 core clock on +200Mhz core boost along with 32%TDP


I have a question concerning the voltage.

It seems that the video card auto boosts to 1.17v

No matter where i put the volt slider in the Precision-X (it maxes out at 1.15v) the card will auto throttle to 1.17 and remain there. So it strikes me a bit of a useless trick to do. It DOES boost non-throttled core to my specified voltage though, i guess that brings stability in the desktop, when the card throttles down?
post #1935 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klindworth View Post

I don't worry about the voltage, i want to set the loadvoltage manually to the maximum my card goes to for stable overclocking. with jumping voltages i have to go to lower clocks to get my card stable

When the voltage is increased with the modded BIOS the boost is also automatically increased, and it sounds like your card is now boosting to an unstable level. So you probably need to put in a negative offset in Afterburner.

The main point of the BIOS mod is to unlock the extra voltage, so if you aren't going to use that because it makes your card unstable then you may as well just flash back to the stock BIOS. You could put the modded BIOS voltage back to stock instead of 1.21V, but the only advantage of doing that would be to apply your overclock through the BIOS instead of through Afterburner/driver, and I don't know if that's worth the hassle or not.
post #1936 of 3357
Howdy all,

I've started on the journey of overclocking my EVGA GTX 670 FTW 4GBs and am having a ball! I need to do some more testing, but I seem to have the first card running stable with a decent OC: it hits 1280MHz max core and 7600MHz on the memory (am I multiply that right?) while setting at about 61 degrees C.

One of the tests I have run is 3DMark11 and I've noticed that the card hits about 130% TPD in that instance. Although it doesn't throttle, is that a safe power range for the card to hit? For that matter, is there a general power target that its best not to exceed? Precision-X 3.x will let me ratchet it up to 145%. But should I, with regularity...?

Also, do the fan profiles in Precision-X only work so long as the application is running? Or will it program the profile into the cards?

Thanks,
JML
post #1937 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klindworth View Post

now i'm able to set the load voltage to 1.175V BUT under full load my card goes up to 1.2V and boosts the gpu further and becomes unstable. suggestions where this comes from?

They are "linked" so your problem is not new and many have seen it before. What you should now do is find a stable OC with the increased volts and then re-flash using KGB (I personally would use the stock vBIOS and not already modded vBIOS) and set the boost limit (max. boost frequency in the .cfg file) to whatever stable OC you found with the 1.21v.

That removes your boost problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JML10166 View Post

One of the tests I have run is 3DMark11 and I've noticed that the card hits about 130% TPD in that instance. Although it doesn't throttle, is that a safe power range for the card to hit? For that matter, is there a general power target that its best not to exceed? Precision-X 3.x will let me ratchet it up to 145%. But should I, with regularity...?
JML

All that is how much power it's allowed to draw, taking a guess that 145% is ~205W which is below the max. it can with the 6+6 power connectors. AFAIK there's no reason not to max it out but that said, there is no reason to max it out either unless you have to.
Edited by error-id10t - 3/13/13 at 6:57pm
Just a 'puter
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero iGPU thanks to Nvidia 970 3.5GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB Crucial M4 256GB RX360 V3 Koolance CPU-380I 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 benq XL2411Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G510 Seasonic X-760 Corsair 800D Mionix Castor 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD DT 990 Premium 250Ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
Just a 'puter
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero iGPU thanks to Nvidia 970 3.5GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB Crucial M4 256GB RX360 V3 Koolance CPU-380I 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 benq XL2411Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G510 Seasonic X-760 Corsair 800D Mionix Castor 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD DT 990 Premium 250Ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1938 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JML10166 View Post

Howdy all,

I've started on the journey of overclocking my EVGA GTX 670 FTW 4GBs and am having a ball! I need to do some more testing, but I seem to have the first card running stable with a decent OC: it hits 1280MHz max core and 7600MHz on the memory (am I multiply that right?) while setting at about 61 degrees C.

One of the tests I have run is 3DMark11 and I've noticed that the card hits about 130% TPD in that instance. Although it doesn't throttle, is that a safe power range for the card to hit? For that matter, is there a general power target that its best not to exceed? Precision-X 3.x will let me ratchet it up to 145%. But should I, with regularity...?

Also, do the fan profiles in Precision-X only work so long as the application is running? Or will it program the profile into the cards?

Thanks,
JML

130% power shouldn't hurt anything, and you shouldn't need to bump it to 145% unless the card starts power throttling.

The changes you make in PRecision/Afterburner are applied at the driver level, so they will be effective even if the application isn't running as long as you set it to apply them at startup.
post #1939 of 3357
My card hardly goes over 32% TDP, i wonder how you people manage a 45%?

Ive connected a 6pin and a modded 8pin into 6pin tongue.gif

Although my prior power setup was 6pin + 6pin through dual peripheral molex - the OC results were the same.
post #1940 of 3357
I did a small bench with the buildin feature in TombRaider2013:

Graphical Setting were: 1080p // Everything on Max // Tessalation:OFF // AA:FXAA

stock reference clocks
1 )24-42=35.4
2) 30-42=35.8
3 )28.2-44=36
4 )28-44=35.8

worst: 24-42=35.4
best: 30-44=36


Core+120 and Mem+600// Max Core Freq: 1176

1) 32.9-48=41.3
2) 32-48=40.8
3) 34-48=41.1
4) 34-48=41.3

worst: 32-48=40.8
best: 34-48=41.3

It seems like even taking the worst case numbers, there is an increase of 8 frames (24vs32) comparing the lowest fps and a smaller increase in the max FPS, (44vs48) of 4 fps.

The average difference between both lower output runs and highest output runs is a difference of 5fps.

Conclussion? It worths it.

Gonna try testing core+140 aswell.

Edit:

The results with Core+140 and Mem+600 // Max Core Freq 1189:

1) 31-50=40.9
2) 32-48=41.2
3) 32.9-50=41
4) 32.9-48=41.1

Worst: 31-48=40.9
Best: 32.9-50=41.1

Now this is interesting: Boosting the Core even further, i get a decrease in minimum framerate of up to 2 points but an increase in max framerate of 2pts. The averages are about the same.

Also, while i boosted the clock by an additional 20Mhz, from +120 to +140, the actual gain was 13Mhz

Gonna give it one more round with +150 Core clock

Edit:

Tried with +150 core but the boost would not get higher so i gave it +156 instead:

Core +156 and Mem +600 // Core Freq: 1215

1) 31-48=39.9
2) 31-46=39.7
3) 32-48=40
4) 32-46=40.2

The results buffle me. In every case, there is a decrease in perfomance even comparing with to the +120Core @ 1176

Im not sure what happening but its just strikes me wierd.

So the conclussion is:

On my machine, a 2500k @ 4kGhz , the GTX670 perfoms better with +120 core compared to anything else. There is a neglible gain when boosted to +140 core, but only on the max FPS, with an actual decrease in the min FPS.

Higher frequencies resulted to no gain or even decreased perfomance.
Edited by seithan - 3/14/13 at 1:01am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~