Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~ - Page 290

post #2891 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders View Post

I think it's just the power target max limiting it, not sure why Afterburner limits it to 114, seems a bit low. I'm amazed you are getting those clock speeds at only 114. Mine has a max power target of 122, I've seen some that will allow 145. I had to overvolt mine in the bios and set the power target via software just to get 1202MHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

Remember that those are just % and don't reflect W in any form. His 100% might be 200W which would then make 114% = 228W. Much higher than your 122% which on a stock 670 would be ~173W.

So I decided to flash the vga bios on my MSI 670 GTX PE / OC card and after this message I thought everything was going to be ok... Little did I know.. Apparently something went wrong during the flash because now my hardware is not being detected... This was a modified bios made for this card I don't understand what could have gone wrong... I've flashed vga bios before in the past and never had an issue.. I'm afraid I've bricked my card. redface.gif I figured that I could always just re-flash the card back to the stock bios if something went wrong, but I cannot do that now as it can't even be detected now. I've tried pulling the card restarting with integrated graphics, shutting down and re-installing the card and nothing has worked.. I can't believe this of all the luck..
post #2892 of 3357
Can you see it in BIOS or does it effectively show 0 as PCIe link speed (I think that's what it's called). If it's zero / empty there, it's gone.. but if it's there still you may have some possibilities getting the card back.
Just a 'puter
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero iGPU thanks to Nvidia 970 3.5GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB Crucial M4 256GB RX360 V3 Koolance CPU-380I 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 benq XL2411Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G510 Seasonic X-760 Corsair 800D Mionix Castor 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD DT 990 Premium 250Ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
Just a 'puter
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero iGPU thanks to Nvidia 970 3.5GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB Crucial M4 256GB RX360 V3 Koolance CPU-380I 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 benq XL2411Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G510 Seasonic X-760 Corsair 800D Mionix Castor 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD DT 990 Premium 250Ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2893 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

Can you see it in BIOS or does it effectively show 0 as PCIe link speed (I think that's what it's called). If it's zero / empty there, it's gone.. but if it's there still you may have some possibilities getting the card back.

I have the ASUS P8Z68 Pro/Gen 3 motherboard and I looked through all my settings and I double checked to be sure, but there was nothing that I remember seeing for PCIe link speed before in my bios... The PCIe speed is shared with the bus clock of the CPU and it is reading 100.00 MHz.. I don't think that I can say for sure.
post #2894 of 3357
It'll be different from this example but this is what I mean.. if that shows x0 then it's gone.

Also another suggestion though you may have tried it, I revived one of my cards by booting up but without the power connectors on the GPU on (so use iGPU and disconnect power to dGPU). It showed up as problematic of course but allowed me to flash a working vBIOS. Afterwards, putting power back in, all was fine.

Just a 'puter
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero iGPU thanks to Nvidia 970 3.5GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB Crucial M4 256GB RX360 V3 Koolance CPU-380I 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 benq XL2411Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G510 Seasonic X-760 Corsair 800D Mionix Castor 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD DT 990 Premium 250Ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
Just a 'puter
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K ASUS Maximus VIII Hero iGPU thanks to Nvidia 970 3.5GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M2B3200C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB Crucial M4 256GB RX360 V3 Koolance CPU-380I 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Koolance RP-452X2 Reservoir Koolance PMP-450 12V Variable Speed Pump Windows 10 Pro x64 benq XL2411Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
logitech G510 Seasonic X-760 Corsair 800D Mionix Castor 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD DT 990 Premium 250Ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2895 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by error-id10t View Post

It'll be different from this example but this is what I mean.. if that shows x0 then it's gone.

Also another suggestion though you may have tried it, I revived one of my cards by booting up but without the power connectors on the GPU on (so use iGPU and disconnect power to dGPU). It showed up as problematic of course but allowed me to flash a working vBIOS. Afterwards, putting power back in, all was fine.


Well.. That seemed like a good idea... I hadn't tried that until now, but when I load up nvflash it still is not detecting any Nvidia display adapters.. frown.gif Thought about giving MSI Live Update a try and that didn't work either. Normally when you disconnect the power leads to the card an error message comes up, but I guess this card is just bricked.. its a shame too.. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to contact MSI tomorrow and tell them that I had a bad vga bios flash.. I just don't get it tho the modded stock bios seemed to work for the other guy and the modded bios was with stock voltages on an original MSI 670 GTX PE/OC bios everything matched up... *sigh* I thought that as long as it was the same MSI card bios that it should work with my card right? All I wanted to do was get past the voltage fluctuations and throttling by being able to raise the power limit from 114% to 125%.. I have another card that I can use in the mean time, but seriously I don't understand what went wrong when it said that the flash was successful...
Edited by NicolasRush - 10/17/13 at 3:37am
post #2896 of 3357
Sorry to hear
post #2897 of 3357
I'm sorry to see this happen too frown.gif

I haven't done anything with vga bios flashing other than upgrade a factory bios to a newer version once using the integrated flash tool it can packaged in, so i'm not even a noob when it comes to custom bios's. I kinda wonder if the bios you flashed was not what it was advertised to be or if there are multiple hardware revisions of that card with different bios's? When you say "everything matched up", does that mean when you do a binary compare of your original to the custom, it's 99% the same binary with a few different values?

Unless any electronics on the card got borked, it does seem like there should be a way to reach across the PCIe bus and poke new values into the flashable memory chips on board so long as it's powered on. But I know about the flashing tools or how to drive them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasRush View Post

Well.. That seemed like a good idea... I hadn't tried that until now, but when I load up nvflash it still is not detecting any Nvidia display adapters.. frown.gif Thought about giving MSI Live Update a try and that didn't work either. Normally when you disconnect the power leads to the card an error message comes up, but I guess this card is just bricked.. its a shame too.. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to contact MSI tomorrow and tell them that I had a bad vga bios flash.. I just don't get it tho the modded stock bios seemed to work for the other guy and the modded bios was with stock voltages on an original MSI 670 GTX PE/OC bios everything matched up... *sigh* I thought that as long as it was the same MSI card bios that it should work with my card right? All I wanted to do was get past the voltage fluctuations and throttling by being able to raise the power limit from 114% to 125%.. I have another card that I can use in the mean time, but seriously I don't understand what went wrong when it said that the flash was successful...
Falcon2010
(18 items)
 
Kickass-X99
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-875K ASUS P7P55D-E-PRO EVGA GTX 670 FTW Crucial Ballistix Tactical 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M500 SSD  LG Blu-ray Combo Drive Asetek 550LC 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-P Silverstone Case Fans Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Samsung 2443 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR Silverstone Strider Plus 750 Silverstone Kublai SteelSeries Sensei [RAW] 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser PX100 headphones AntLion ModMic v4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820k | core@4.4 1.23v | cache@4.1 1.1v ASUS X99-PRO / USB 3.1 EVGA GTX 980ti FTW Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400 CL12 (4 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX200 (1 TB) Crucial M500 (960 GB) Western Digital Green (2 TB) Pioneer BDR-XU03 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech H240-X Win 10 Pro (64 bit) Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR Silverstone Strider Gold 850 Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX (gray) SteelSeries Sensei [RAW] 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Gamedias NYX Mousepad 350x280 Grado SR80e Lexar Professional Workflow SR2 SDHC/SDXC UHS-I... 
  hide details  
Reply
Falcon2010
(18 items)
 
Kickass-X99
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-875K ASUS P7P55D-E-PRO EVGA GTX 670 FTW Crucial Ballistix Tactical 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black Crucial M500 SSD  LG Blu-ray Combo Drive Asetek 550LC 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-P Silverstone Case Fans Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Samsung 2443 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR Silverstone Strider Plus 750 Silverstone Kublai SteelSeries Sensei [RAW] 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser PX100 headphones AntLion ModMic v4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5820k | core@4.4 1.23v | cache@4.1 1.1v ASUS X99-PRO / USB 3.1 EVGA GTX 980ti FTW Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400 CL12 (4 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial MX200 (1 TB) Crucial M500 (960 GB) Western Digital Green (2 TB) Pioneer BDR-XU03 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech H240-X Win 10 Pro (64 bit) Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Rosewill RK-9000BR Silverstone Strider Gold 850 Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX (gray) SteelSeries Sensei [RAW] 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Gamedias NYX Mousepad 350x280 Grado SR80e Lexar Professional Workflow SR2 SDHC/SDXC UHS-I... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2898 of 3357
My 670 resets its clock back to default during gameplay or benchmarking, does that mean it's unstable? I'm guessing I need to decrease the core clock a bit?
Edited by rwarr - 10/17/13 at 1:15pm
post #2899 of 3357
Any other methods to reach 100% TDp in stress test?
post #2900 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael-ocn View Post

I'm sorry to see this happen too frown.gif

I haven't done anything with vga bios flashing other than upgrade a factory bios to a newer version once using the integrated flash tool it can packaged in, so i'm not even a noob when it comes to custom bios's. I kinda wonder if the bios you flashed was not what it was advertised to be or if there are multiple hardware revisions of that card with different bios's? When you say "everything matched up", does that mean when you do a binary compare of your original to the custom, it's 99% the same binary with a few different values?

Unless any electronics on the card got borked, it does seem like there should be a way to reach across the PCIe bus and poke new values into the flashable memory chips on board so long as it's powered on. But I know about the flashing tools or how to drive them.
I'm pretty sure there are multiple versions of the card all with different VGA bios.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~