Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~ - Page 32

post #311 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightCat View Post

Hello, thanks for the great guide. Below are my specs:
MSI GTX 670 OC Edition
Base Clock 965 MHz
Boost Clock 1045 MHz
Memory Clock 6008 MHz
Power Target %122 (max.)
Voltage 1175 mV (max.)
Having adjusted fan curve as per instructions, I've halted at the end of Step 1, because in Unigine benchmark, the fan got noticably loud and although having seen no artifacts or whatsoever during the benchmark, I saw GPU clock hitting 1200 MHz on OSD during the run and also I found out that during the run the temperature had got as high as 82 C. My Unigine bench was under the following settings:
Render: direct3d11
Mode: 1680x1050 fullscreen
Shaders: high
Textures: high
Filter: trilinear
Anisotropy: 4x
Occlusion: enabled
Refraction: enabled
Volumetric: enabled
Tessellation: disabled
Have I missed or overdone anything ? Am I good to go on ? I don't want to end up with a fried VGA yet.

What case and fan set up are running? Sounds like an airflow issue. I've got the same card and with my core running at 1215 I'm not even breaking 65 C.

And for stability testing make sure you run Heaven with maxed out settings.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K at 4.4 (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Extreme EVGA 980ti SC X2 G.Skill Trident 2400 (2 X 8) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, Sandisk Extreme Pro 480... LG Blu-Ray Heatkiller CPU Rev4.0 Ni-BL; Aquacomputer Kyrog... Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713HM Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Corsair AX1200i Case Labs SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zowie ZA12 Artisan Zero Asus Xonar Essence STX APC Smart-UPS SMT1500 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K at 4.4 (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Extreme EVGA 980ti SC X2 G.Skill Trident 2400 (2 X 8) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, Sandisk Extreme Pro 480... LG Blu-Ray Heatkiller CPU Rev4.0 Ni-BL; Aquacomputer Kyrog... Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713HM Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Corsair AX1200i Case Labs SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zowie ZA12 Artisan Zero Asus Xonar Essence STX APC Smart-UPS SMT1500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #312 of 3357
Sorry for the double post, but I worked on my fan profile tonight and everything seemed to go fine. Just checked AB and this is what I found. Power percentage maxed with a yellow line and core clock dropped to zero. Wife logged onto the computer a few minutes before I got on. She has a separate user account with no AB installed. Everything seems to be running fine, but because I've never seen this before I'm a little worried.

375
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K at 4.4 (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Extreme EVGA 980ti SC X2 G.Skill Trident 2400 (2 X 8) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, Sandisk Extreme Pro 480... LG Blu-Ray Heatkiller CPU Rev4.0 Ni-BL; Aquacomputer Kyrog... Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713HM Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Corsair AX1200i Case Labs SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zowie ZA12 Artisan Zero Asus Xonar Essence STX APC Smart-UPS SMT1500 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K at 4.4 (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Extreme EVGA 980ti SC X2 G.Skill Trident 2400 (2 X 8) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, Sandisk Extreme Pro 480... LG Blu-Ray Heatkiller CPU Rev4.0 Ni-BL; Aquacomputer Kyrog... Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713HM Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Corsair AX1200i Case Labs SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zowie ZA12 Artisan Zero Asus Xonar Essence STX APC Smart-UPS SMT1500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #313 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by bern43 View Post

What case and fan set up are running? Sounds like an airflow issue. I've got the same card and with my core running at 1215 I'm not even breaking 65 C.
And for stability testing make sure you run Heaven with maxed out settings.

I have a Cooler Master HAF X 942, sire.
post #314 of 3357
Thread Starter 
Hard to say what caused that, but it was definitely just a software error. It's showing the maximum value was over 31 million and same thing for the GPU usage. I would just say to ignore it and if it happens again then maybe there's an issue somewhere (most likely an unstable CPU overclock or unstable RAM, hard to say for sure).
post #315 of 3357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPoe View Post

Hard to say what caused that, but it was definitely just a software error. It's showing the maximum value was over 31 million and same thing for the GPU usage. I would just say to ignore it and if it happens again then maybe there's an issue somewhere (most likely an unstable CPU overclock or unstable RAM, hard to say for sure).

Thanks for the quick response. I'll just keep an eye on it. Supposedly the most recent bios for my motherboard, which I have installed, is bugged and causing a lot of memory problems. So maybe that's it.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K at 4.4 (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Extreme EVGA 980ti SC X2 G.Skill Trident 2400 (2 X 8) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, Sandisk Extreme Pro 480... LG Blu-Ray Heatkiller CPU Rev4.0 Ni-BL; Aquacomputer Kyrog... Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713HM Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Corsair AX1200i Case Labs SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zowie ZA12 Artisan Zero Asus Xonar Essence STX APC Smart-UPS SMT1500 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K at 4.4 (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Extreme EVGA 980ti SC X2 G.Skill Trident 2400 (2 X 8) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, Sandisk Extreme Pro 480... LG Blu-Ray Heatkiller CPU Rev4.0 Ni-BL; Aquacomputer Kyrog... Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2713HM Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Corsair AX1200i Case Labs SM8 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Zowie ZA12 Artisan Zero Asus Xonar Essence STX APC Smart-UPS SMT1500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #316 of 3357
I have been tweaking my GB 670 OC and I got it to around 1.3ghz gpu clock and 3.5 ghz mem clock. I have been running the heaven benchmark with a lot of different settings, including even turning the A/C off in my room and letting the hot air in from my window. My power consumption never passes %80, temp never breaks 69 degrees C, and my gpu clock speed is a solid line. I find that every time I have a problem with heaven, it is because of a display driver fail. Is this normally the case, and have I just reached my max clock or do people normally see comp crashes and other problems as well? I'm wondering if the display driver (which is current) is holding me back or if I'm just hitting the ceiling of what this thing can do. I was sort of expecting to see the temp get too high, jagged gpu clock logs, and/or power consumption hitting the roof before having issues however everything seems to be happy and than the gpu driver just crashes (and recovers in around half a second.) I don't have logs from an instance of when the gpu driver crashed, just a log from a successfully completed run. I will continue to tweak and will post some logs but if anything I have mentioned sounds like an obvious red flag let me know please b/c im an o/c newb!

Tx
Edited by shmoo11 - 7/3/12 at 10:09pm
post #317 of 3357
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoo11 View Post

I have been tweaking my GB 670 OC and I got it to around 1.3ghz gpu clock and 3.5 ghz mem clock. I have been running the heaven benchmark with a lot of different settings, including even turning the A/C off in my room and letting the hot air in from my window. My power consumption never passes %80, temp never breaks 69 degrees C, and my gpu clock speed is a solid line. I find that every time I have a problem with heaven, it is because of a display driver fail. Is this normally the case, and have I just reached my max clock or do people normally see comp crashes and other problems as well? I'm wondering if the display driver (which is current) is holding me back or if I'm just hitting the ceiling of what this thing can do. I was sort of expecting to see the temp get too high, jagged gpu clock logs, and/or power consumption hitting the roof before having issues however everything seems to be happy and than the gpu driver just crashes (and recovers in around half a second.) I don't have logs from an instance of when the gpu driver crashed, just a log from a successfully completed run. I will continue to tweak and will post some logs but if anything I have mentioned sounds like an obvious red flag let me know please b/c im an o/c newb!
Tx

Yes, an unstable overclock will generally manifests itself as a graphics driver crash. Typically this is because your core clock is too high for the voltage, and since we can't increase the voltage, you will need to reduce the overclock until you no longer get driver crashes. Also, be sure you're using the newest beta driver, that's version 304.79, here's a link for the 64-bit version. Some people in the gtx 670 thread claimed they got a higher overclock with this driver, i have no idea if those claims are true as i saw no benefit personally.
post #318 of 3357
thanks, I will install this and do some more tweaking.
post #319 of 3357
SeanPoe,

Just wanted to stop in and share my final result after getting my heat problem under control (mid 70's now).

Cards: EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked+ 4GB x2 in SLI
Base Clock: 1074 MHz (GPU-Z)
Boost Clock: 1153 MHz (GPU-Z)
Actual Clock: 1268 Mhz (Precision during Heaven)
Memory Clock: 1576 (GPU-Z)
Power Target: MAX
Voltage: MAX

Heaven 1920x1080: 86.1fps, 2168score, 31min, 202.4max
Heaven 5760x1080: 18.4fps, 464score.

Going any higher than the above resulted in the benchmark crashing and my screens going nuts. Got gains all the way up to the last %.
Heaven uses over 3 gigs of memory during the triple monitor test... ouch! Glad I got my 4GB cards for surround.
post #320 of 3357
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neovalen View Post

SeanPoe,
Just wanted to stop in and share my final result after getting my heat problem under control (mid 70's now).
Cards: EVGA GTX 670 Superclocked+ 4GB x2 in SLI
Base Clock: 1074 MHz (GPU-Z)
Boost Clock: 1153 MHz (GPU-Z)
Actual Clock: 1268 Mhz (Precision during Heaven)
Memory Clock: 1576 (GPU-Z)
Power Target: MAX
Voltage: MAX
Heaven 1920x1080: 86.1fps, 2168score, 31min, 202.4max
Heaven 5760x1080: 18.4fps, 464score.
Going any higher than the above resulted in the benchmark crashing and my screens going nuts. Got gains all the way up to the last %.
Heaven uses over 3 gigs of memory during the triple monitor test... ouch! Glad I got my 4GB cards for surround.

What did you end up doing to reduce temperatures?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › ~~The GTX 670 Overclocking Master-Guide~~