Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › The AMD How To Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AMD How To Thread - Page 8

post #71 of 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

It might take sometime to digest since you're new to AMD, but once you learn it it is really simple.

Also, if you use AB you need to enable voltage control, click settings, under compatibility properties, check those two boxes, it will ask to restart AB.

Got it..... I really appreciate you helping me. I'm going to read up on these two methods & post back in a lil bit with my understandings...

Thanks. +REP
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 439
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCrowely View Post

Which method is better official or unofficial?


It depends. There is a lil less flicker with official, but your cards will idle higher clocks in official. I prefer unofficial cuz I don't like my cards running hotter so I will deal with the slight flicker.


Note on the flicker. Flicker happens anytime clocks change on the desktop. Any apps that requires gpu acceleration will induce a clock change. Apps like browsers, flash, media players, etc all can use gpu acceleration can do this. It is just something you have to acknowledge and understand.

Now the crux of the issue is Powerplay which is the AMD process that changes these clocks when it senses load. The problem is we want X clocks to run all the time on the desktop and for it not to start jumping into the various clocks settings which AMD calls powerstates. In official mode, you cannot control these powerstates so whatever Powerplay chooses you under its control. In unofficial mode you can choose to ignore Powerplay and set up your profiles how you see fit. There is a bug where sometimes AB cannot keep up with Powerplays clock switching and you will notice a flicker when watching something like youtube. In this case you can simply hit reset in AB and it will reload your 2D profile, and shortly after will drop your clocks back to idle.

For me, I'm ok with this bug cuz it doesn't bother me because I realize what's happening. It's not frightening or alarming when you know why. Watch the video and you will see AB and Powerplay fighting it out which should give you a better understanding.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

It depends. There is a lil less flicker with official, but your cards will idle higher clocks in official. I prefer unofficial cuz I don't like my cards running hotter so I will deal with the slight flicker.


Note on the flicker. Flicker happens anytime clocks change on the desktop. Any apps that requires gpu acceleration will induce a clock change. Apps like browsers, flash, media players, etc all can use gpu acceleration can do this. It is just something you have to acknowledge and understand.

Now the crux of the issue is Powerplay which is the AMD process that changes these clocks when it senses load. The problem is we want X clocks to run all the time on the desktop and for it not to start jumping into the various clocks settings which AMD calls powerstates. In official mode, you cannot control these powerstates so whatever Powerplay chooses you under its control. In unofficial mode you can choose to ignore Powerplay and set up your profiles how you see fit. There is a bug where sometimes AB cannot keep up with Powerplays clock switching and you will notice a flicker when watching something like youtube. In this case you can simply hit reset in AB and it will reload your 2D profile, and shortly after will drop your clocks back to idle.

For me, I'm ok with this bug cuz it doesn't bother me because I realize what's happening. It's not frightening or alarming when you know why. Watch the video and you will see AB and Powerplay fighting it out which should give you a better understanding.


I didn't know all this came with these cards..... It seems a lil overwhelming to be honest. Coming from a Platform where you set it & forget it. I am hoping all this is worth it, as my GPU blocks come tomorrow & I was planning on grabbing two more of these when IVY-E hits., but I'm not ready for this. i've only been building computers for a lil over a yr. (Dec 2011) Hats are off to you guys that got their RIGS on point
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 439
Thread Starter 
Oh yea, it's a lot more complicated learning it the first time. However, you have true voltage control, can turn it up over 1.3v and the cards are 150-200mhz faster clock for clock than green team which has hard locked voltage. There are tradeoffs.If you don't overclock with voltage, then one can just simply install driver and go.

If you want voltage control you have to jump thru hurdles because there roadblocks AMD setup to prevent you from adding voltage. When put into perspective, I'll take the hurdles to have true voltage control.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Oh yea, it's a lot more complicated learning it the first time. However, you have true voltage control, can turn it up over 1.3v and the cards are 150-200mhz faster clock for clock than green team which has hard locked voltage. There are tradeoffs.If you don't overclock with voltage, then one can just simply install driver and go.

If you want voltage control you have to jump thru hurdles because there roadblocks AMD setup to prevent you from adding voltage. When put into perspective, I'll take the hurdles to have true voltage control.

I kinda wanna get a good knowledge of it soon. I like to learn & have fun also, but I wanna play my games after work... LOL
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 439
I have messed up somewhere. I used Unofficial method & my AB looks like this below....

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01


EDIT: I just looked in AB directory & the config file is gone...WTH
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 439
Have you installed the Clock Control Files??

AMD clock control files

This guide is very well made, if you read it thoroughly. You have all needed informations. tsm106 did a great job. Just don't skip any content.


Quote:
EDIT: I just looked in AB directory & the config file is gone...WTH

The MSIAfterburner.cfg is gone??
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRLiToS View Post

Have you installed the Clock Control Files??

AMD clock control files

This guide is very well made, if you read it thoroughly. You have all needed informations. tsm106 did a great job. Just don't skip any content.

Yes, I'm going to re do it.... I have a question. In Regedit it has three different enable ULPS for each folder. Do I do all three or just the one?

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 439
When you uninstall your drivers first, have you deleted all Registry entries? And then Uninstalling AMD HD 7970 drivers in "Device Manager"

Also, since you have the CrossOver27Q Led-P, don't install HDMI drivers.

Can you open the 0002 Registry Entry and post (screenshot) the information inside. IMO, you only need to Disable ULPS in 0000 and 0001 since 0002 is not related to a third GPU
Edited by KaRLiToS - 2/14/13 at 12:04pm
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
Quad Damage
(24 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4930k @ 4.6Ghz Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Koolance Full WB) 2 x GTX 1080ti FE in SLI (EK WATERBLOCK) Corsair Dominator GT 2133 MHz (16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3 TB Seagate OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Crucial M4 128GB ADATA SX900 128GB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RIVE Koolance Waterblock (VRM and PCH) Feser X-Changer 360 Feser X-Changer 240 Feser X-Changer 480 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
WaterCool MoRA3 Pro with Gentle Typhoon 3 x MCP 655 pumps (With EK top...all serial) 2 x EK FC 1080ti Blocks Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q (3440x1440 @100hz) CrossOver 27Q Led-P Logitech G15 EVGA SuperNova 1600T2 (Titanium) 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian Heavily Modded Logitech G700 RocketFish Speed/Control M-audio AV-40 (Logitech G-35) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRLiToS View Post

When you uninstall your drivers first, have you deleted all Registry entries? And then Uninstalling AMD HD 7970 drivers in "Device Manager"

Also, since you have the CrossOver27Q Led-P, don't install HDM drivers.

Can you open the 0002 Registry Entry and post (screenshot) the information inside. IMO, you only need to Disable ULPS in 0000 and 0001 since 0002 is not related to a third GPU

Deleted them how? These are my first ever AMD cards, i don't know their method.. What is HDM drivers? I will post the screenshot


My AB won't install a config file.. I have to find one...
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
 
"MSI GT70"
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4700MQ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M 32GB 1600MHz 128GB SSD Triple Raid 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB SSD 128GB SSD 1TB  Blueray 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 Professional  17: 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › The AMD How To Thread