Did my big dye batch tonight for the crimson colored sleeving. I've got a few pictures to share, but if you want to really learn how to do it...check out the other link in my signature.
You need three pots:
In the big pot in back...get some water boiling and add some vinegar. In one of the small pots, you'll mix the dye carrier with some water, as shown below:
Once you have the small pot boiling...add it to the big pot. It will turn the whole big pot of water an opaque milky white.
In your other little pot, you mix the actual dyes with some water (I'm using a combination of scarlet and lilac).
Once you have it boiling....dump the small dye bowl into the big pot.
I'm dyeing a whole big bunch of white MDPC-X sleeving tonight...in hopes this will last me for the duration of this build. This is the first time I've done a dye bath with LOTS of sleeving in it. Everything to date has been small test batches trying to perfect the process. Little bit scary! Don't want to ruin this much sleeve!
So that I can easily lift it out of the pot to check on it...I've got the sleeve sitting on a small collander insert, and I've tied a length of wire through the handle so I can pull it up at any time to check on it.
Now.....lower the thing down into the big dye bath....
And then keep it simmering for as long as you need. Here is what it looked like after an hour and a half.
Here is the finished sleeve...after about 3.5 hours.
It's almost a perfect match for my powder coated OU crimson case!
Here are a couple of shots with some MDPC-X red next to my custom dyed batch. It will show you clearly why I needed to dye this instead of just using red.
The whole dyeing sleeve thing is actually pretty easy to do...after I suffered through lots of trials and tribulations learning how to do it properly. I didn't end up doing any heatshrink....because I've decided to use the shrinkless method.
Will begin sleeving in earnest now...so expect more updates related to sleeving over the next week or so.