Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › [Build Log] - The Big Budget Boomer Box (aka, the "BBBB")
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Build Log] - The Big Budget Boomer Box (aka, the "BBBB") - Page 173

post #1721 of 3982
Just registered in order to subscribe to your build log. Having read through your build initially then looking through some of the other posts on this board I am amazed at the work you guys do. Has definately given me a lot of food for thought for my next build.
post #1722 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirkerBee View Post

Just registered in order to subscribe to your build log. Having read through your build initially then looking through some of the other posts on this board I am amazed at the work you guys do. Has definately given me a lot of food for thought for my next build.

Welcome to OCN, you've jumped into one of the best logs I've seen around here....enjoy your stay wink.gif
post #1723 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirkerBee View Post

Just registered in order to subscribe to your build log. Having read through your build initially then looking through some of the other posts on this board I am amazed at the work you guys do. Has definately given me a lot of food for thought for my next build.

Welcome! band.gif
My Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500k MSI P67 XFX Radeon HD 6850 Patriot 1600L 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Maxtor 7H5 western digital wd10ears seagate st500 Swiftech Apogee 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Black Ice Extreme Swiftech MCP Technofront Challenger Heatkiller GPU-X2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech MCR120 Windows 7 Ultimate Viewsonic  Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 750 Coolermaster HAF932 Gigabyte M8000X Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500k MSI P67 XFX Radeon HD 6850 Patriot 1600L 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Maxtor 7H5 western digital wd10ears seagate st500 Swiftech Apogee 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Black Ice Extreme Swiftech MCP Technofront Challenger Heatkiller GPU-X2 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech MCR120 Windows 7 Ultimate Viewsonic  Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 750 Coolermaster HAF932 Gigabyte M8000X Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1724 of 3982
Quote:
Or....I wonder if I split the temperature sensor wire into a "y" right before both AQ5's.....hmmmm. Might have to try that.
You can definitely try, but I would guess it will end up being like trying to split a mic signal between two amps and require some work. I've never tried it though, so by all means...
post #1725 of 3982
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirkerBee View Post

Just registered in order to subscribe to your build log. Having read through your build initially then looking through some of the other posts on this board I am amazed at the work you guys do. Has definately given me a lot of food for thought for my next build.

ShirkerBee....welcome! What forum had you been spending the most time on previously? OCN will give you some awesome ideas. There are some crazy good build logs and excellent pictures in this forum.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocutor View Post

You can definitely try, but I would guess it will end up being like trying to split a mic signal between two amps and require some work. I've never tried it though, so by all means...

I'll try. I'll rig up two temp sensors in the same place...and then on one of them I'll split the ends and take them to both AQ5's....and see if the results vary from the first sensor. With the AQ5's right next to each other...splitting the ends into Y's right before they plug in would still look pretty clean.
post #1726 of 3982
you what this build needs? an audioengine A5+. also my 1337'th post!
 
Pur Esprit
(24 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-5257U Logic Board Iris Graphics 6100 8GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB My Passport 1TB easyStore 4TB Samsung External 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
OSX Sierra Retina Display 13" Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 Magsafe 2 60W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
MacBook Pro Retina 13" MX Master QCK JBL Flip 3 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Karakao H1 Bluetooth  Status Audio CB-1 TechnoShield Blue Marble Skin Magsafe to Magsafe 2 Adapter 
OtherOtherOther
Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter Apple Mini Displayport to VGA Adapter Griffin Mini Displayport to HDMI/DVI Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G4560 B250i Gaming Pro AC GTX1050Ti 4GB Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Sandisk Ultra II 480GB Sandisk Ultra II 480GB BarraCuda 2TB 3.5" 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Cryorig H7 NZXT Grid Windows 10 Education Insignia 39"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
VelociFire TKL01 EVGA 450BT Phanteks Enthoo Evolve ITX Corsair Harpoon RGB 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
KupX Extended Edition V-Moda Crossfade LP Phantom Chrome InnoGear MU007 Microphone Mudder Desk Stand 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Logitech K400 OfficeJet Pro 6978 TP-Link Archer C50 Excellus RGB Kit 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Pur Esprit
(24 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-5257U Logic Board Iris Graphics 6100 8GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB My Passport 1TB easyStore 4TB Samsung External 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
OSX Sierra Retina Display 13" Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 Magsafe 2 60W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
MacBook Pro Retina 13" MX Master QCK JBL Flip 3 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Karakao H1 Bluetooth  Status Audio CB-1 TechnoShield Blue Marble Skin Magsafe to Magsafe 2 Adapter 
OtherOtherOther
Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter Apple Mini Displayport to VGA Adapter Griffin Mini Displayport to HDMI/DVI Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G4560 B250i Gaming Pro AC GTX1050Ti 4GB Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Sandisk Ultra II 480GB Sandisk Ultra II 480GB BarraCuda 2TB 3.5" 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Cryorig H7 NZXT Grid Windows 10 Education Insignia 39"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
VelociFire TKL01 EVGA 450BT Phanteks Enthoo Evolve ITX Corsair Harpoon RGB 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
KupX Extended Edition V-Moda Crossfade LP Phantom Chrome InnoGear MU007 Microphone Mudder Desk Stand 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Logitech K400 OfficeJet Pro 6978 TP-Link Archer C50 Excellus RGB Kit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1727 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinos98 View Post

you what this build needs? an audioengine A5+. also my 1337'th post!
That will depend on the sound card. With an extremely high-end sound card, these speakers could be properly utilized. The other option would be to use the digital output of the onboard sound and use higher quality DACs in a decoder/amp with non-powered speakers.
post #1728 of 3982
like which card? im planning on a pair, at least the A2 (i think, the cheapest) and do want to hear good audio.
 
Pur Esprit
(24 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-5257U Logic Board Iris Graphics 6100 8GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB My Passport 1TB easyStore 4TB Samsung External 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
OSX Sierra Retina Display 13" Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 Magsafe 2 60W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
MacBook Pro Retina 13" MX Master QCK JBL Flip 3 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Karakao H1 Bluetooth  Status Audio CB-1 TechnoShield Blue Marble Skin Magsafe to Magsafe 2 Adapter 
OtherOtherOther
Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter Apple Mini Displayport to VGA Adapter Griffin Mini Displayport to HDMI/DVI Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G4560 B250i Gaming Pro AC GTX1050Ti 4GB Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Sandisk Ultra II 480GB Sandisk Ultra II 480GB BarraCuda 2TB 3.5" 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Cryorig H7 NZXT Grid Windows 10 Education Insignia 39"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
VelociFire TKL01 EVGA 450BT Phanteks Enthoo Evolve ITX Corsair Harpoon RGB 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
KupX Extended Edition V-Moda Crossfade LP Phantom Chrome InnoGear MU007 Microphone Mudder Desk Stand 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Logitech K400 OfficeJet Pro 6978 TP-Link Archer C50 Excellus RGB Kit 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Pur Esprit
(24 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-5257U Logic Board Iris Graphics 6100 8GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
128GB My Passport 1TB easyStore 4TB Samsung External 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
OSX Sierra Retina Display 13" Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 Magsafe 2 60W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
MacBook Pro Retina 13" MX Master QCK JBL Flip 3 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Karakao H1 Bluetooth  Status Audio CB-1 TechnoShield Blue Marble Skin Magsafe to Magsafe 2 Adapter 
OtherOtherOther
Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter Apple Mini Displayport to VGA Adapter Griffin Mini Displayport to HDMI/DVI Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G4560 B250i Gaming Pro AC GTX1050Ti 4GB Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Sandisk Ultra II 480GB Sandisk Ultra II 480GB BarraCuda 2TB 3.5" 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Cryorig H7 NZXT Grid Windows 10 Education Insignia 39"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
VelociFire TKL01 EVGA 450BT Phanteks Enthoo Evolve ITX Corsair Harpoon RGB 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
KupX Extended Edition V-Moda Crossfade LP Phantom Chrome InnoGear MU007 Microphone Mudder Desk Stand 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Logitech K400 OfficeJet Pro 6978 TP-Link Archer C50 Excellus RGB Kit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1729 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinos98 View Post

like which card? im planning on a pair, at least the A2 (i think, the cheapest) and do want to hear good audio.
Likely an Asus Xonar at this point... sound cards are really disappointing lately. Pretty much every review you'll find about Creative's new Sound Core3D (branded Recon3D) says it's an all-in-one chip, but is clearly not of audiophile quality and is not even in the same ballpark as the previous Audigy or X-Fi. Ever since Apple took over the MP3 market from them (Nomad was the de facto MP3 player before Apple made an iPod), Creative has been trying to make popular products instead of high quality ones for whatever reason.

I've heard decent things about the Audioengine D1 for a DAC that's almost always better than whatever would be internal, but you can only get the 192KHz from the optical port, and you wouldn't be able to setup two pair of A5+'s for surround like you would with a full blown pre-amp.

The long story short is that you have some options to reach audiophile quality, but you're going to have to put in a lot of research to find exactly what you want.
post #1730 of 3982
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinos98 View Post

you what this build needs? an audioengine A5+. also my 1337'th post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocutor View Post

That will depend on the sound card. With an extremely high-end sound card, these speakers could be properly utilized. The other option would be to use the digital output of the onboard sound and use higher quality DACs in a decoder/amp with non-powered speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinos98 View Post

like which card? im planning on a pair, at least the A2 (i think, the cheapest) and do want to hear good audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocutor View Post

Likely an Asus Xonar at this point... sound cards are really disappointing lately. Pretty much every review you'll find about Creative's new Sound Core3D (branded Recon3D) says it's an all-in-one chip, but is clearly not of audiophile quality and is not even in the same ballpark as the previous Audigy or X-Fi. Ever since Apple took over the MP3 market from them (Nomad was the de facto MP3 player before Apple made an iPod), Creative has been trying to make popular products instead of high quality ones for whatever reason.
I've heard decent things about the Audioengine D1 for a DAC that's almost always better than whatever would be internal, but you can only get the 192KHz from the optical port, and you wouldn't be able to setup two pair of A5+'s for surround like you would with a full blown pre-amp.
The long story short is that you have some options to reach audiophile quality, but you're going to have to put in a lot of research to find exactly what you want.


I agree with Electrocutor that nice speakers would probably require getting a sound card if they are to be fully appreciated. But...I have two other rooms in the house with very nice music listening environments. Not sure I'm trying to create a third with this build. There's no way I could beat or even duplicate my sound environments in the other rooms. 9.2 surround with large speakers and lots of amps.....will trump some computer speakers any day of the week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › [Build Log] - The Big Budget Boomer Box (aka, the "BBBB")