Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › [Build Log] - The Big Budget Boomer Box (aka, the "BBBB")
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Build Log] - The Big Budget Boomer Box (aka, the "BBBB") - Page 10

post #91 of 3982
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateful_Ikkou View Post

Not really getting into photography just appreciate high quality photos and the ones you've been taking are prime examples. I am however looking for a really good camera and just didn't know where to start. I love taking close up shots in high detail more than anything else. Thanks for the advice. thumb.gif

Well, if you like the close ups (macro photography), then you have to get a DSLR. Can't do those shots justice with with the lens that come on a Powershot, or Elph. And then you need a macro lens to go with your camera. So if you want to do it cheaply, I would get any of the Canon Rebel lines of DSLR's (as low as $500 bucks when sales run), and then get a macro lens. Here is a good starter macro lens.

Just noticed you are from Olla, LA. I lived in DeRidder, LA for about 4 years or so back in 1999-2003. Know anyone there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffinslaw View Post

This is simply amazing! I love it! Subbed!
Jeffinslaw

Thanks Jeffinslaw! I've got a sister living in Seattle. Visited last summer and really enjoyed. Nice area.


Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinos98 View Post

def subbed. nice build you got there OP tongue.gif and i thought my $5000 rig would be kickass sad-smiley-002.gif (lol it will be)

Thanks barkinos98! And I'm sure it will be! I spent less than $5 grand on the box I've been using for about 3 years now, and I've loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrix View Post

I have that same (FC8) fan controller, but have not used it at this point since the build is in an early stage. I too am puzzled by the instructions to connect all 3 molex. I have a 1000w Seasonic so I don't think the power will be insufficient on a single connector. More likely they don't have much confidence in their molex connectors. I would take the 30w/channel rating with a grain of salt, though.
No heat sinks which is surprising. I have a Sunbeam Rheobus with good sized sinks and it's a workhorse, although I subbed a Scythe Pro for it since I didn't like the super bright knob illumination.
The FC8 is a tight fit in my Switch, but not ridiculously so.
Good luck with your build. Love that you powercoated a rad.

Thanks for the kind words about the radiator, mandrix! Yeah, I kind of scratched my head at the lack of some gigantic heat sinks on the back of the FC8. Although I haven't tried to put it in the case yet, I did use it extensively during my fan evaluation process. So I had all 8 channels connected to single fans, and I only had one of the molex connectors plugged in. Not large amps being pulled down from single fans, but it at least gave me confidence it was going to work. The Hitlights I'll be using have a 72 watt rating for the entire strip, but I'm planning on cutting this down to size and not having large sections on any one channel. Hope it works.
post #92 of 3982
Thread Starter 
Pics of ghetto radiator flushing and looking for leaks.

400

I found that with a 1/2 inch ID tube, it fit nice and snug over my kitchen sink faucet once I took off the sprayer head. Put an extra compression fitting on the rad, connected tube, and started the water.

700

No initial leaks, so I turned water on full blast and all the way to hot.

400

After about 20 minutes with hot water on at full blast, nothing was leaking from radiator, so that's a good sign. The powder coater was worried that the high heat of the powder curing oven (400+ degrees) was going to melt some solder inside. All water coming out of rad was clear, and no leaks anywere else, so I think I can safely say we didn't break the radiator with the whole powder coating process. Yea! I've called the powder coater and given him the green light on the others, and I should have them back tomorrow. Will do a picture update with all of them in the box. I'll flush all the rads like this with hot tap water, and then flush again with distilled water before hooking up the loop.

I've updated the opening post with index links, and parts order status. Hope that helps. My kids started their two weeks with their mother today, so I'm childless the next two weeks. :< Although I'll miss them terribly, it will give me some extra time to spend on this build over the next 14 days. Expect a lot of updates and pictures during this time!
post #93 of 3982
alright man, you might be a Sooner, and I may be a Longhorn thumb.gif , but I can definitely respect your case. That is one awesome design and I love the layout. Awesome!
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.4Ghz NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT  8GB DDR2-667 SDRAM OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA I... 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Hacked and Slashed Quad-Cooler Halcyon-Twin Style! Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Backtrack 5 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.4Ghz NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT  8GB DDR2-667 SDRAM OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA I... 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Hacked and Slashed Quad-Cooler Halcyon-Twin Style! Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Backtrack 5 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #94 of 3982
there are some logs.... beautiful logs.... that make you want to cry, and this is one of them. Amazing job man i hope someday i can affored to put something like this together. But the thought you put into the peices and fans alone is astounding
post #95 of 3982
Words just fail to describe your build, just WOW!! drool.gif
post #96 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpachris View Post

Well, if you like the close ups (macro photography), then you have to get a DSLR. Can't do those shots justice with with the lens that come on a Powershot, or Elph. And then you need a macro lens to go with your camera. So if you want to do it cheaply, I would get any of the Canon Rebel lines of DSLR's (as low as $500 bucks when sales run), and then get a macro lens. Here is a good starter macro lens.
Just noticed you are from Olla, LA. I lived in DeRidder, LA for about 4 years or so back in 1999-2003. Know anyone there?

Hmm, I think I saw an Eos Rebel over at Bestbuy for $365 the other day but I'll have to check again. As per the location query I'm not originally from this area, we moved down here from Arkansas to be closer to my grandmother when her husband passed away. Besides that I just chill in my room cause there's nothing to do around here. tongue.gif

Glad to hear your Rad passed the leak test, and that sink Idea was neat. thumb.gif
post #97 of 3982
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon-twin View Post

alright man, you might be a Sooner, and I may be a Longhorn thumb.gif , but I can definitely respect your case. That is one awesome design and I love the layout. Awesome!

That's big praise, coming from a Longhorn! Much appreciated halcyon. And there's nothing wrong with Texas. There NEEDS to be a school for the football players that can't make it at OU. tongue.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by Onions View Post

there are some logs.... beautiful logs.... that make you want to cry, and this is one of them. Amazing job man i hope someday i can affored to put something like this together. But the thought you put into the peices and fans alone is astounding

Thanks a ton Onions! Love the positive comments.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemlord View Post

Words just fail to describe your build, just WOW!! drool.gif

Thanks again, SystemLord!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateful_Ikkou View Post

Hmm, I think I saw an Eos Rebel over at Bestbuy for $365 the other day but I'll have to check again. As per the location query I'm not originally from this area, we moved down here from Arkansas to be closer to my grandmother when her husband passed away. Besides that I just chill in my room cause there's nothing to do around here. tongue.gif
Glad to hear your Rad passed the leak test, and that sink Idea was neat. thumb.gif

That's either a great price, or it doesn't include a lens with the kid (body only). And I'll second that.....there wasn't much to do in DeRidder either. Although I did learn the art of eating crawfish while there!
post #98 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumaddict View Post

Holy crap! This is a $20,000 computer! I get about $20,000 when I add up your parts list, making some reasonable assumptions That's on the verge of just plain silly. But I'm jealous as all get out. Will definitely follow this one. Good luck! thumb.gif

Nah, it's pretty easy to drop a lot of coin on a serious build. Especially when you have friends that corrupt you and give you crazy ideas!

584

I take partial responsibility for his actions.....thumb.gif
Keep it up Sooner!
DUALBRAIN
(15 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon X5680 Xeon X5680 eVGA SR-2 eVGA GTX 780 Ti 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
eVGA GTX 780 Ti 24 GB Corsair Dominator Samsung 840 Pro Aqua Kryos x 2 CPU, Aqua Nickel Ti x 2, MIPS MB... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate Dell U3415W Func KB 460 & Happy Hacker Pro 2 Corsair 1200 AXi 
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH 10 Func Audio Engine A5+ 
  hide details  
Reply
DUALBRAIN
(15 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon X5680 Xeon X5680 eVGA SR-2 eVGA GTX 780 Ti 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
eVGA GTX 780 Ti 24 GB Corsair Dominator Samsung 840 Pro Aqua Kryos x 2 CPU, Aqua Nickel Ti x 2, MIPS MB... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate Dell U3415W Func KB 460 & Happy Hacker Pro 2 Corsair 1200 AXi 
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH 10 Func Audio Engine A5+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #99 of 3982
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpachris View Post

That's big praise, coming from a Longhorn! Much appreciated halcyon. And there's nothing wrong with Texas. There NEEDS to be a school for the football players that can't make it at OU. tongue.gif

Now, now...
We all know Sooner or later Chokelahoma will win the big game tongue.gif
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.4Ghz NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT  8GB DDR2-667 SDRAM OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA I... 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Hacked and Slashed Quad-Cooler Halcyon-Twin Style! Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Backtrack 5 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.4Ghz NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT  8GB DDR2-667 SDRAM OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA I... 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Hacked and Slashed Quad-Cooler Halcyon-Twin Style! Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Backtrack 5 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #100 of 3982
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseekeroffun View Post

Nah, it's pretty easy to drop a lot of coin on a serious build. Especially when you have friends that corrupt you and give you crazy ideas! I take partial responsibility for his actions.....thumb.gif
Keep it up Sooner!

Corruption. That's really what is was. And for those that haven't checked out the Complete Madness worklog, the link is in his sig. Some insane stuff in there. Thanks Rocky!


Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon-twin View Post

Now, now...
We all know Sooner or later Chokelahoma will win the big game tongue.gif

Touche'. I can laugh at their recent struggles. Why does Oklahoma eat their cereal in a plate? They don't know what to do in a bowl. da-dump. rimshot! tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › [Build Log] - The Big Budget Boomer Box (aka, the "BBBB")