Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › [Official] Fractal Design Node 304 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Fractal Design Node 304 Owners Club - Page 313

post #3121 of 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by pe4nut666 View Post

ya i was more think clearance between it and the side of the case when its in the pci socket

That's actually less of an issue. It's not even as wide as my Windforce 780Ti.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #3122 of 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey22 View Post

Got to finish my custom window today. I was hoping the blue LED's from my cpu cooler would be bright enough but they're on the dimmer side.
Any suggestion on other ways to illuminate my case? Or recommended Blue LED fans that are silent to replace the 92mm's in the front? Thanks!



Looks great. Was it difficult to do the window on top? Do you have any instructions for it or what parts you used?

I am looking to put a fan on top of the case. Has anyone done this? I thought I remember seeing someone do it but can't find it now.
post #3123 of 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac13 View Post

Looks great. Was it difficult to do the window on top? Do you have any instructions for it or what parts you used?

I am looking to put a fan on top of the case. Has anyone done this? I thought I remember seeing someone do it but can't find it now.

The process took me a few hours to completely finish it but it wasn't that hard. It was actually a fun project and very rewarding.
There are a lot of tutorials out there on how to make a window but I used a dremel to cut the window and 3m clear double-sided tape to stick the window to the case.
The hardest part is measuring. Since the case is so small, you have little room to work with. Since I was going with the double-sided tape method, you have to leave enough room on the sides of the window for the tape. I measured 1 1/8" inch on the sides and 1 1/2" for the front and back. The reason the front and back are longer is to ensure the case closes (the process of putting the top of the case on and sliding it forward to 'snap' it in place) once you add the window. Depending on the width of the window, you have to make sure it clears the back fan and doesn't hit anything else in the case when it's fully closed. I used 1/8" clear cast acrylic for my window that I bought off ebay for $8 for a 12" x 12" piece and it conveniently has no problem clearing the back 120mm fan. Keep in mind using U-channel also adds to the overall thickness if you are going the double-sided tape method. If i were to do the window again, I would probably add 1/8-1/4" more to all sides so I could have a little more room for the tape, but overall I am very happy with the outcome. Just remember to measure and measure again before cutting and to consider the thickness of the U-channel and window when measuring and to make sure everything fits when you close the case. Cheers! smile.gif

post #3124 of 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughneckGeek View Post

That's actually less of an issue. It's not even as wide as my Windforce 780Ti.


didnt know that thanks
Media Black Box
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4570 Asus h87 MSi GTX 970 Gaming G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
crucial WD RED cm hyper 212 Windows 8,1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46 inch vizo logitech k400 rosewill capstone 550 Node 304 black 
AudioOther
5.1 surround receiver xbox 360 controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Media Black Box
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4570 Asus h87 MSi GTX 970 Gaming G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
crucial WD RED cm hyper 212 Windows 8,1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46 inch vizo logitech k400 rosewill capstone 550 Node 304 black 
AudioOther
5.1 surround receiver xbox 360 controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3125 of 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey22 View Post

The process took me a few hours to completely finish it but it wasn't that hard. It was actually a fun project and very rewarding.
There are a lot of tutorials out there on how to make a window but I used a dremel to cut the window and 3m clear double-sided tape to stick the window to the case.
The hardest part is measuring. Since the case is so small, you have little room to work with. Since I was going with the double-sided tape method, you have to leave enough room on the sides of the window for the tape. I measured 1 1/8" inch on the sides and 1 1/2" for the front and back. The reason the front and back are longer is to ensure the case closes (the process of putting the top of the case on and sliding it forward to 'snap' it in place) once you add the window. Depending on the width of the window, you have to make sure it clears the back fan and doesn't hit anything else in the case when it's fully closed. I used 1/8" clear cast acrylic for my window that I bought off ebay for $8 for a 12" x 12" piece and it conveniently has no problem clearing the back 120mm fan. Keep in mind using U-channel also adds to the overall thickness if you are going the double-sided tape method. If i were to do the window again, I would probably add 1/8-1/4" more to all sides so I could have a little more room for the tape, but overall I am very happy with the outcome. Just remember to measure and measure again before cutting and to consider the thickness of the U-channel and window when measuring and to make sure everything fits when you close the case. Cheers! smile.gif


Thanks! I really wanted to add a fan on top but I just realized I won't be able to because I am using 2 hard drive bays. These almost touch the top of the case and would interfere with the proposed fan. I am looking for some way to provide extra ventilation for the case because I took the top off and there was a 3-4 degree difference which made me think that maybe the airflow in the case needs some improvement. Maybe this is typical with this small of a case though. I am running a 4770k and GTX 780 Ti haha. The 780 Ti does put out a lot of heat and gets loud during heavy load. I have an aftermarket cooler version which blows the hot air back in the case. Maybe it would have been better to get a reference version so it would blow the hot air out of the case instead but I heard those don't cool as well and are louder.
post #3126 of 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac13 View Post

Thanks! I really wanted to add a fan on top but I just realized I won't be able to because I am using 2 hard drive bays. These almost touch the top of the case and would interfere with the proposed fan. I am looking for some way to provide extra ventilation for the case because I took the top off and there was a 3-4 degree difference which made me think that maybe the airflow in the case needs some improvement. Maybe this is typical with this small of a case though. I am running a 4770k and GTX 780 Ti haha. The 780 Ti does put out a lot of heat and gets loud during heavy load. I have an aftermarket cooler version which blows the hot air back in the case. Maybe it would have been better to get a reference version so it would blow the hot air out of the case instead but I heard those don't cool as well and are louder.

That's what I went with when I was deciding between the ACX and reference 780 Ti. Went with the non-SC reference version to keep the heat to a minimum and fan speeds low. Performance/Watt goes out the window with just a few more MHz. As long as you keep the side mesh clean and blow out the card itself once a month, it stays remarkably quiet (for a 250W card) under full 24/7 load.

In a normal mid/full tower with lots of airflow and only one video card, the aftermarket "open-air" card would cool better and run quieter. In tight confines with little airflow, the reference blower design would cool better and run quieter. The Node 304 is rather tight.

In a case like the Node, with no modifications, a well designed blower (Nvidia's "Titan" Blower) can actually run quieter than an "open-air" card when subjected to sustained near-100% load. The blower will evacuate heat as it is produced, ramping up fan speeds quickly, but since it is a closed system, so to speak, the fan speed will stabilize in short order. An "open-air" card will typically idle at a much lower noise threshold in the Node, but under load it will build heat inside the case until it is evacuated by the rear fan or radiator/fan. Depending on how aggressive your fans are in the rear/front of the case, an "open-air" type card could be struggling to stay cool, having to continually increase fan speeds until it forces the air moving across it to creep around the card to the rear fan's slipstream. I noticed that the case itself stays noticeably cooler to the touch with a blower 780 Ti than it did with an "open-air" HD 7950.

I would try a higher CFM fan on the rear or notching up your current fan's speed to see if the increase in rear fan noise is offset by a decrease in GPU temperature and noise. Either that, or move your 3.5" drives to a NAS of some sort, throw your SSDs behind the front panel, remove all your drive cages/top bar, and install all the fans/radiators/windows you want.

I wish I could hear what your ACX sounds like with something like an hour's worth of Furmark and compare that to a reference-cooled model in the same case/setup. Would be an interesting comparison.
Edited by M125 - 4/16/14 at 5:35am
ALPHA
(16 items)
 
ORION
(19 items)
 
HYDRA
(18 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-1660 v3 @ 4.0 GHz, 1.1V ASUS X99-E WS PNY Quadro K4000 EVGA GTX TITAN X Hybrid w/NF-F12 Push/Pull 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB (8x8) ECC REG M393A1G40DB0-CPB 2133MHz DDR4 Intel 750 NVMe 400GB, PCI-e Corsair H110 w/Noctua NF-A14 FLX Push/Pull Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
LG 31MU97-B 4K IPS, Landscape Achieva QH2700-IPSMS DP Thunderbolt Edge 1440 I... Dell U2212HM, Landscape, Above LG Das Model S Professional 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Seasonic Seasonic X-1050 1050W Gold Fractal Define R4 Blackout Logitech G500 Intel E10G42BT X540-T2 10 GbE 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5-2630 V3 - 8C/16T - SR206 Xeon E5-2630 V3 - 8C/16T - SR206 SUPERMICRO MBD-X10DRL-I  Aspeed AST2400 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Sapphire HD 7750 LP - Passthrough 128GB (8x16) ECC RDIMM M393A2G40DB0-CPB0 2133MH... x4 240GB Intel DC3500 x2 512GB Samsung 850 Pro 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
x2 4TB HGST NAS SUPERMICRO SNK-P0048P ESXI 6.0 Server 2012 R2 
OSOSOSPower
Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Mint Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate pfSense Supermicro PWS-563-1H Gold 560W 
CaseOtherOther
Supermicro SC825TQ-563LPB Intel I350-T4 Quad Port - Passthrough Buffalo IFC-PCIE2U3S2 - Passthrough 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-1650 v3 SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Asus GTX 980 Strix - Passthrough EVGA GTX 960 4GB - Passthrough 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64GB (4x16) ECC REG M393A2G40DB0-CPB 2133MHz DDR4 850 Pro 512GB, 850 Pro 256GB Intel 730 480GB RAID 10 x8 WD RE FYYZ 4TB Hotswap/Backplane 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Proxmox KVM/QEMU w/OpenZFS  Windows 10 Pro (x2) - Passthrough LG 1080P TV, 50 FT/One floor up. 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite, 100 FT/Two floors up. Dual Redundant 920W 80 Plus Platinum SUPERMICRO CSE-745TQ-R800B 4U Intel E10G42BT X540-T2 10 GbE 
OtherOther
Buffalo IFC-PCIE2U3S2 - Passthrough (x2) Dell PERC H710 
  hide details  
Reply
ALPHA
(16 items)
 
ORION
(19 items)
 
HYDRA
(18 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-1660 v3 @ 4.0 GHz, 1.1V ASUS X99-E WS PNY Quadro K4000 EVGA GTX TITAN X Hybrid w/NF-F12 Push/Pull 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB (8x8) ECC REG M393A1G40DB0-CPB 2133MHz DDR4 Intel 750 NVMe 400GB, PCI-e Corsair H110 w/Noctua NF-A14 FLX Push/Pull Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
LG 31MU97-B 4K IPS, Landscape Achieva QH2700-IPSMS DP Thunderbolt Edge 1440 I... Dell U2212HM, Landscape, Above LG Das Model S Professional 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Seasonic Seasonic X-1050 1050W Gold Fractal Define R4 Blackout Logitech G500 Intel E10G42BT X540-T2 10 GbE 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5-2630 V3 - 8C/16T - SR206 Xeon E5-2630 V3 - 8C/16T - SR206 SUPERMICRO MBD-X10DRL-I  Aspeed AST2400 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Sapphire HD 7750 LP - Passthrough 128GB (8x16) ECC RDIMM M393A2G40DB0-CPB0 2133MH... x4 240GB Intel DC3500 x2 512GB Samsung 850 Pro 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
x2 4TB HGST NAS SUPERMICRO SNK-P0048P ESXI 6.0 Server 2012 R2 
OSOSOSPower
Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Mint Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate pfSense Supermicro PWS-563-1H Gold 560W 
CaseOtherOther
Supermicro SC825TQ-563LPB Intel I350-T4 Quad Port - Passthrough Buffalo IFC-PCIE2U3S2 - Passthrough 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E5-1650 v3 SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Asus GTX 980 Strix - Passthrough EVGA GTX 960 4GB - Passthrough 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64GB (4x16) ECC REG M393A2G40DB0-CPB 2133MHz DDR4 850 Pro 512GB, 850 Pro 256GB Intel 730 480GB RAID 10 x8 WD RE FYYZ 4TB Hotswap/Backplane 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Proxmox KVM/QEMU w/OpenZFS  Windows 10 Pro (x2) - Passthrough LG 1080P TV, 50 FT/One floor up. 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite, 100 FT/Two floors up. Dual Redundant 920W 80 Plus Platinum SUPERMICRO CSE-745TQ-R800B 4U Intel E10G42BT X540-T2 10 GbE 
OtherOther
Buffalo IFC-PCIE2U3S2 - Passthrough (x2) Dell PERC H710 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3127 of 7093
On initial build I was running with a blower style ATI 6850. Swapping that to the Gigabyte Windforce 780Ti increased the noice level of the machine, but temperatures on the CPU and other components only increased by 2-3C. The ATI was a mid-range card that was nearly silent. The 780Ti is a high end card that is still quiet at load. I can hear it, but it's still much quieter than the PS4 sitting on the other side of the room.

I'm not sure if my results would be as good if I had an AIO cooler. The GPU choice is part of why I decided to go for an air cooler on the CPU... since I knew I'd need to be moving hot air out of the case as quickly as possible.
post #3128 of 7093
Does anyone have an idea if one could fit a R9 295x2 with the radiator + a decent CPU cooler in this case?
post #3129 of 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvati View Post

Does anyone have an idea if one could fit a R9 295x2 with the radiator + a decent CPU cooler in this case?

That's the real fit question. I don't see how to do that without modding the case. Any tower cooler would get in the way. You could put an AIO cooler on the CPU so the height of that didn't interfere with mounting the radiator for the 295x2 on the back of the case, but then you'd need somewhere to put the radiator for the AIO cooler on the CPU.
post #3130 of 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughneckGeek View Post

That's the real fit question. I don't see how to do that without modding the case. Any tower cooler would get in the way. You could put an AIO cooler on the CPU so the height of that didn't interfere with mounting the radiator for the 295x2 on the back of the case, but then you'd need somewhere to put the radiator for the AIO cooler on the CPU.


stack the rads maybe both of them put together with a fan at either end?
Media Black Box
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4570 Asus h87 MSi GTX 970 Gaming G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
crucial WD RED cm hyper 212 Windows 8,1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46 inch vizo logitech k400 rosewill capstone 550 Node 304 black 
AudioOther
5.1 surround receiver xbox 360 controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Media Black Box
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 4570 Asus h87 MSi GTX 970 Gaming G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
crucial WD RED cm hyper 212 Windows 8,1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46 inch vizo logitech k400 rosewill capstone 550 Node 304 black 
AudioOther
5.1 surround receiver xbox 360 controller 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › [Official] Fractal Design Node 304 Owners Club