Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › PC shutting down during gaming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC shutting down during gaming

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I have a rig that keeps shutti9ng down when I play Dota 2, but ONLY when I have my case shut. If I take the side of my cabinet off It will work, so I'm thinking it's a temp issue. I have overclocked nothing, and I'm struggling to find out WHY my PC is shutting down. I'm quite confident it's not the CPU since I've just bought a new CPU cooler, that keeps it at about 40-50C while gaming (it's an 8120FX). I'm not hearing my gfx fan, so I don't think it's that Either. The VX550 Corsair PSu is practically unused, so I can't really believe that it can be causing the problem. How do I debug? Are there any logs I can look through?
BullDoZer
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 Sabertooth 990FX Geforce Gtx 460 Crucial Technology  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveMonitor
Crucial Technology  agility ssd TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550 Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
BullDoZer
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 Sabertooth 990FX Geforce Gtx 460 Crucial Technology  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveMonitor
Crucial Technology  agility ssd TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550 Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdane View Post

I have a rig that keeps shutti9ng down when I play Dota 2, but ONLY when I have my case shut. If I take the side of my cabinet off It will work, so I'm thinking it's a temp issue. I have overclocked nothing, and I'm struggling to find out WHY my PC is shutting down. I'm quite confident it's not the CPU since I've just bought a new CPU cooler, that keeps it at about 40-50C while gaming (it's an 8120FX). I'm not hearing my gfx fan, so I don't think it's that Either. The VX550 Corsair PSu is practically unused, so I can't really believe that it can be causing the problem. How do I debug? Are there any logs I can look through?
If you have to take off the side, your case probably just has terrible airflow. How many case fans do you have?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 GTX 480 SLI Patriot G2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Caviar Black 1TB Alpenfohn K2 Windows 7 professional Asus VG248QE 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M 52G9700 Corsair HX1000 Corsair 650D Logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ Sennheiser HD650 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 GTX 480 SLI Patriot G2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Caviar Black 1TB Alpenfohn K2 Windows 7 professional Asus VG248QE 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
IBM Model M 52G9700 Corsair HX1000 Corsair 650D Logitech G400 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ Sennheiser HD650 Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay View Post

If you have to take off the side, your case probably just has terrible airflow. How many case fans do you have?

let me count... zero tongue.gif I think I'd better get me a new case then. TY.
BullDoZer
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 Sabertooth 990FX Geforce Gtx 460 Crucial Technology  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveMonitor
Crucial Technology  agility ssd TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550 Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
BullDoZer
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 Sabertooth 990FX Geforce Gtx 460 Crucial Technology  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveMonitor
Crucial Technology  agility ssd TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW 
PowerCase
Corsair VX550 Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
shuts down as in:
power gone nothing?
flickers and reboots?
freezes and no functionality?
you seem to have narrowed it down, when gaming can you leave HWMonitor
running to see the voltages and temps. usually windows writes a log in
Event Viewer about such issue. it wont exactly tell you the fault, but it could
be helpful in loacting the issue.

airdeano
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdane View Post

I have a rig that keeps shutti9ng down when I play Dota 2, but ONLY when I have my case shut. If I take the side of my cabinet off It will work, so I'm thinking it's a temp issue. I have overclocked nothing, and I'm struggling to find out WHY my PC is shutting down. I'm quite confident it's not the CPU since I've just bought a new CPU cooler, that keeps it at about 40-50C while gaming (it's an 8120FX). I'm not hearing my gfx fan, so I don't think it's that Either. The VX550 Corsair PSu is practically unused, so I can't really believe that it can be causing the problem. How do I debug? Are there any logs I can look through?

which card you're running?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970@4.8GHz HT/on 218x22x1.5v EVGA X58 Classified(E759) 3xEVGA GTX770 Classified ACX 4GB 1280/8200/1.213v 3x4GB Corsair Dominator GT@1746 9-9-9-21-1T-1.65v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Force GT 120GB/OS-nVidia  WD 3TB/Games Cpu-EK Supremacy MB-EK FB/X58 Classified 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Rad-Swiftech MCR-320 Drive Rev3 w/Pump Resevoir-JP 150x50mm Misc-JP 3/8 fittings,clamps/EK ZMT/Feser One Ram-Corsair 2x60mm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Fans-8x120mm/2x140mm/NZXT Sentry Windows 7 x64 3x21.5 Asus VE228H 6040x1080 Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200 Lian Li PC-A77F Logitech G9x Xtrac Ripper XL 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative SB-z/Logitech 2.1 Logitech G27 Logitech G940 2xX360 controllers 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970@4.8GHz HT/on 218x22x1.5v EVGA X58 Classified(E759) 3xEVGA GTX770 Classified ACX 4GB 1280/8200/1.213v 3x4GB Corsair Dominator GT@1746 9-9-9-21-1T-1.65v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Corsair Force GT 120GB/OS-nVidia  WD 3TB/Games Cpu-EK Supremacy MB-EK FB/X58 Classified 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Rad-Swiftech MCR-320 Drive Rev3 w/Pump Resevoir-JP 150x50mm Misc-JP 3/8 fittings,clamps/EK ZMT/Feser One Ram-Corsair 2x60mm 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Fans-8x120mm/2x140mm/NZXT Sentry Windows 7 x64 3x21.5 Asus VE228H 6040x1080 Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200 Lian Li PC-A77F Logitech G9x Xtrac Ripper XL 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative SB-z/Logitech 2.1 Logitech G27 Logitech G940 2xX360 controllers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdeano View Post

shuts down as in:
power gone nothing?
flickers and reboots?
freezes and no functionality?
you seem to have narrowed it down, when gaming can you leave HWMonitor
running to see the voltages and temps. usually windows writes a log in
Event Viewer about such issue. it wont exactly tell you the fault, but it could
be helpful in loacting the issue.

airdeano


Good advice.

 

I must say, though, that usually when your rig shuts down under load it is either from an overdrawn PSU or a PSU that is overdrawn because it is defective.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › PC shutting down during gaming