Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Can I change My Laptops GPU? Dell XPS 1530
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I change My Laptops GPU? Dell XPS 1530

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I was wondering if i could change my GPU, specs are below.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2ghz
RAM: 4gb ddr2 667mhz 2x 2gb
GPU: nVidia GeForce 8400m GS (could I possibly change this?)
HDD: 250gb
Opt: Dvd burner
Good battery life.

Please help me figure this out! biggrin.gif
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCxReaper View Post

I was wondering if i could change my GPU, specs are below.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2ghz
RAM: 4gb ddr2 667mhz 2x 2gb
GPU: nVidia GeForce 8400m GS (could I possibly change this?)
HDD: 250gb
Opt: Dvd burner
Good battery life.
Please help me figure this out! biggrin.gif

Unless you have some MAD soldering skills NO... As the GPU is actually soldered/attached to the mainboard.

And even then... still probably no...

It looks like you should have an Expressport on there. So you best option without buying a new laptop would be using a Vidock external GPU. http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock it is however kind of expensive. I have seen DIY version though.

I've seen some youtube vids, but I don't know how well they actually work. The only downside is you lose portability.
Edited by PappaSmurfsHarem - 6/14/12 at 12:50pm
Deus Ex Machina
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Gigabyte Z68X-ED3H-B3 EVGA GTX 680 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
256GB Samsung OEM SSD (SLOW POS) 64GB Samsung 830 64GB Crucial M4 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware OptX AW2310 Saitek Eclipse Seasonic X750 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 650D Logitech G500 Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Deus Ex Machina
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Gigabyte Z68X-ED3H-B3 EVGA GTX 680 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
256GB Samsung OEM SSD (SLOW POS) 64GB Samsung 830 64GB Crucial M4 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware OptX AW2310 Saitek Eclipse Seasonic X750 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 650D Logitech G500 Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurfsHarem View Post

Unless you have some MAD soldering skills NO... As the GPU is actually soldered/attached to the mainboard.
And even then... still probably no...
It looks like you should have an Expressport on there. So you best option without buying a new laptop would be using a Vidock external GPU. http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock it is however kind of expensive. I have seen DIY version though.
I've seen some youtube vids, but I don't know how well they actually work. The only downside is you lose portability.

Dang that sucks, I know that they have a mainboard for the same model, they contain different GPU's, 8400G, 8400GS, and 8600GT Im willing to get the one containing an 8600GT if i'd actually notice a difference.
post #4 of 8
Nope! From what I've seen, only really high end gaming laptops support upgradeable graphics, and even then that is fairly limited since you are constrained by your power adapter and the amount of current it can deliver.

It's either time for a new laptop, or a desktop, or to tune down the graphics settings of the new games you want to play.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCxReaper View Post

Dang that sucks, I know that they have a mainboard for the same model, they contain different GPU's, 8400G, 8400GS, and 8600GT Im willing to get the one containing an 8600GT if i'd actually notice a difference.

You could use the 8600gt board, and it would be better, however at what cost?

What games do you play?
Deus Ex Machina
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Gigabyte Z68X-ED3H-B3 EVGA GTX 680 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
256GB Samsung OEM SSD (SLOW POS) 64GB Samsung 830 64GB Crucial M4 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware OptX AW2310 Saitek Eclipse Seasonic X750 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 650D Logitech G500 Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Deus Ex Machina
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Gigabyte Z68X-ED3H-B3 EVGA GTX 680 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
256GB Samsung OEM SSD (SLOW POS) 64GB Samsung 830 64GB Crucial M4 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware OptX AW2310 Saitek Eclipse Seasonic X750 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 650D Logitech G500 Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurfsHarem View Post

You could use the 8600gt board, and it would be better, however at what cost?
What games do you play?

I have a desktop that I play on, I dont believe crysis 2 will run on the laptop, but i play skyrim, and left 4 dead 2. I'm not sure if the laptop will play them.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCxReaper View Post

I have a desktop that I play on, I dont believe crysis 2 will run on the laptop, but i play skyrim, and left 4 dead 2. I'm not sure if the laptop will play them.

Don't know about skyrim... L4D2 should play on low settings. The 8600GT was the same GPU that the older MBP's used and they could handle the source engine well enough in bootcamp... search youtube for 8600gt TF2 or L4D

However unless you can get the board in guaranteed working condition for a decent price I wouldn't bother. You could probably get a decent llano/trinity based laptop that would perform better, but I'm not entirely sure how well those perform.

If you have a desktop why bother investing any sort of money into this aging dinosaur?
Edited by PappaSmurfsHarem - 6/14/12 at 10:43pm
Deus Ex Machina
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Gigabyte Z68X-ED3H-B3 EVGA GTX 680 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
256GB Samsung OEM SSD (SLOW POS) 64GB Samsung 830 64GB Crucial M4 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware OptX AW2310 Saitek Eclipse Seasonic X750 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 650D Logitech G500 Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
Deus Ex Machina
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k Gigabyte Z68X-ED3H-B3 EVGA GTX 680 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
256GB Samsung OEM SSD (SLOW POS) 64GB Samsung 830 64GB Crucial M4 Corsair H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Alienware OptX AW2310 Saitek Eclipse Seasonic X750 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair 650D Logitech G500 Creative Titanium HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurfsHarem View Post

Don't know about skyrim... L4D2 should play on low settings. The 8600GT was the same GPU that the older MBP's used and they could handle the source engine well enough in bootcamp... search youtube for 8600gt TF2 or L4D
However unless you can get the board in guaranteed working condition for a decent price I wouldn't bother. You could probably get a decent llano/trinity based laptop that would perform better, but I'm not entirely sure how well those perform.
If you have a desktop why bother investing any sort of money into this aging dinosaur?

What about soldering, could I solder a different geforce 8 series gpu on the board?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Can I change My Laptops GPU? Dell XPS 1530