Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Refrigeration Unit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Refrigeration Unit - Page 4

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitrevX
just bein the Devils advocate but,
I log my time when when I do my job, so its not too uncomon.
Different stokes for different folks I guess. Whether I'm building motorcycles or gaming PC's, each unit takes as long as it takes to reach maximum performance. Anything I build is built for performance and not by the clock, untill I'm happy with it, it doesn't roll out the door. Strong attention to detail/performance is the disparity between custom and retail.
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryadsoul
Different stokes for different folks I guess. Whether I'm building motorcycles or gaming PC's, each unit takes as long as it takes to reach maximum performance. Anything I build is built for performance and not by the clock, untill I'm happy with it, it doesn't roll out the door. Strong attention to detail/performance is the disparity between custom and retail.
im talking about being a CG artist. I log my time to see my progress in prefecting my skill in less time. In my line of work you have to solve creative problems fast. But it really has nothing to do with how much im paid unless I sucked. I see where your coming from in your situation. It was a light hearted coment, nothin big
post #33 of 45
Hey, no offense taken. Although I do watch the clock while penning tattoo flash. But with my work, if it sucks there is no payday.
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitrevX
Im not saying it cant work. I'm saying for 500 bucks you can get a phase change unit thats more effective. Even if you run those units everyday durring the hottest part of the day you will double your electricity bill. Over time it adds up.
If he wants to cool more than one CPU, a shush box or chiller is the way to go.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z ASUS GTX 770 2x4GB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 840 WD Caviar Green Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD Burner Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 QNIX QX 2710 Filco Majestouch-2 Rosewill Capstone-750-M R 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Logitech MX518 Black Banshee Pad Krator N2-20020 (Garbage) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z ASUS GTX 770 2x4GB Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung EVO 840 WD Caviar Green Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD Burner Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 QNIX QX 2710 Filco Majestouch-2 Rosewill Capstone-750-M R 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Zalman Z-Machine GT1000 Logitech MX518 Black Banshee Pad Krator N2-20020 (Garbage) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 45
Thread Starter 
Wow, okay thanks all. To clarify, I live in Calgary (Canada). So I have a very small A/C, and huge furnace. I'd rather not cool a room in the dead of winter, but thanks for the suggestion.

At school I do a lot of biochemistry and bioinformatics. One of the major labs I have is at the FMC Hospital. In this lab there are 6 students, 8 NMR, and 2 superconducting MRI's, as well as 200 something processor mainframe (or server, not actually sure). Now you can understand the rough set-up.

Anyways, The "water" I have cooling my components is actually an alcohol based coolant (methyl ether) so it feezes at well below 100 C (-138.43 C), surrounded by a larger tubing of ethyl alcohol that freezes at -117.38 C, and the cool room we do a lot of bioinformatics stuff is cooled to a maximum of 100 C (though it almost never drops below -45 C (usually around -25 C)). At any rate.

This class is on designing drugs to combat secondary and tertiary structure in protein domains (ie lots of protein folding), in order to build and examine drug responses, without first having to test them on animals and people (yes, drug studies on living organisms still must be done, but it prevents a lot of suffering). So sometimes we'll have a folding application where calculations can take hours, or days. So even if I can get my computer slightly faster = hotter, it may save me more fun tim e (CS anyone?)

So I was just looking for like a bolt on attachment that could say join proxy to my current radiator, so as (when) i get the perfect overclock, when I go from school to home I need not constantly change the clock settings.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 QX6700 eVGA nForce 680i SLI 2X eVGA 7900 GTX SLI 4 Gigs OCZ PC2-8500 XTC SLI-Ready Edition Dual 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2X750 Seagate SATA II XP Pro Samsung 940 BF Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
800 W Kandalf (Thermaltake) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 QX6700 eVGA nForce 680i SLI 2X eVGA 7900 GTX SLI 4 Gigs OCZ PC2-8500 XTC SLI-Ready Edition Dual 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2X750 Seagate SATA II XP Pro Samsung 940 BF Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
800 W Kandalf (Thermaltake) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira-k
Calvalry: You can make a inexpensive little cooler if you have an external rad. Fix your rad so you can take it and the fans on the rad off easy...You need to put conformal coating around the cpu socket a couple or three inches, on the back of your mobo conformal where the cpu is and 4 or 5 inches more..Put di-electric grease in your cpu socket...Then you can just pop the fans off your rad and stick it in a bucket of ice water...It cools it well for a few hours or more...Do not do it with-out conformal and di-electric grease, you might even want to put Neoprene hose insulation 4 or 5 inches either way on the WB....If your cooling more then the cpu it might be more of a pain than it's worth...Just insulate everything like you would for a pelt and you should be OK. If you dont feel comfortable doing this dont do it..If you dont understand what I'm saying dont do it..If you fry your rig dont blame me....... link....Conformal..Danger Den :: Peltiers/PSU/Insulation :: Insulation Parts :: Conformal Coating

link...Di-Electric Grease, buy several ..Danger Den :: Peltiers/PSU/Insulation :: Insulation Parts :: Dielectric Grease Compound

I dont think you will really need this but oh well.....Danger Den :: Water Additives :: Non-Conductive Formulas :: MCT-5 Non-Conductive Solution

Blasting all your parts with WD-40 is also good. WaterDispersal formula 40 is excellent at repelling water. But, you will have to re-apply on occasion. And you still have to use the grease on the CPU.
TITAN-6
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4GHZ ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 570 8GB G.skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ160 Blu Ray DVD writer Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Sceptre 24" LCD BENQ 3D 24" LCD Logitech G510 Corsair 750W HX professional single rail 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Sniper Razer Naga left-handed version None Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
TITAN-6
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4GHZ ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 570 8GB G.skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ160 Blu Ray DVD writer Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Sceptre 24" LCD BENQ 3D 24" LCD Logitech G510 Corsair 750W HX professional single rail 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Sniper Razer Naga left-handed version None Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 45
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys. just wish there was such a product. Wonder if little computer mini-fridge units will ever be made stock. But thanks for all the help, I may have to try something like that
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 QX6700 eVGA nForce 680i SLI 2X eVGA 7900 GTX SLI 4 Gigs OCZ PC2-8500 XTC SLI-Ready Edition Dual 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2X750 Seagate SATA II XP Pro Samsung 940 BF Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
800 W Kandalf (Thermaltake) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 QX6700 eVGA nForce 680i SLI 2X eVGA 7900 GTX SLI 4 Gigs OCZ PC2-8500 XTC SLI-Ready Edition Dual 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2X750 Seagate SATA II XP Pro Samsung 940 BF Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
800 W Kandalf (Thermaltake) Logitech G7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
Wow, okay thanks all. To clarify, I live in Calgary (Canada). So I have a very small A/C, and huge furnace. I'd rather not cool a room in the dead of winter, but thanks for the suggestion.

At school I do a lot of biochemistry and bioinformatics. One of the major labs I have is at the FMC Hospital. In this lab there are 6 students, 8 NMR, and 2 superconducting MRI's, as well as 200 something processor mainframe (or server, not actually sure). Now you can understand the rough set-up.

Anyways, The "water" I have cooling my components is actually an alcohol based coolant (methyl ether) so it feezes at well below 100 C (-138.43 C), surrounded by a larger tubing of ethyl alcohol that freezes at -117.38 C, and the cool room we do a lot of bioinformatics stuff is cooled to a maximum of 100 C (though it almost never drops below -45 C (usually around -25 C)). At any rate.

This class is on designing drugs to combat secondary and tertiary structure in protein domains (ie lots of protein folding), in order to build and examine drug responses, without first having to test them on animals and people (yes, drug studies on living organisms still must be done, but it prevents a lot of suffering). So sometimes we'll have a folding application where calculations can take hours, or days. So even if I can get my computer slightly faster = hotter, it may save me more fun tim e (CS anyone?)

So I was just looking for like a bolt on attachment that could say join proxy to my current radiator, so as (when) i get the perfect overclock, when I go from school to home I need not constantly change the clock settings.
LOL! Use hosing quick disconnects which cut off the flow when you yank them out. Then hang a radiator out your window and reconnect to the PC. Sounds like your outside ambient is plenty cold
TITAN-6
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4GHZ ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 570 8GB G.skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ160 Blu Ray DVD writer Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Sceptre 24" LCD BENQ 3D 24" LCD Logitech G510 Corsair 750W HX professional single rail 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Sniper Razer Naga left-handed version None Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
TITAN-6
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4GHZ ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 570 8GB G.skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ160 Blu Ray DVD writer Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Sceptre 24" LCD BENQ 3D 24" LCD Logitech G510 Corsair 750W HX professional single rail 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Sniper Razer Naga left-handed version None Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 45
It sounds like he moves his computer. disconnecting and reconnecting water lines would be retartedly painful. I'll say it again, honestly I really don't think a product like this exists other than modify a ac unit or go to phase change. I think its funny everyone jumps on a my nutz and then it turns out exactly as I though. All i can do is google for something your looking for because off hand I don't know a place that sells that kinda thing. But it would be nice if someone did because I'd buy one too. Simply put, your looking for colder than ambient air to run through your radiator. And I'm guessing you want it to be compact so it can be moved.. I'll look but the odds are against us..

just wondering, are you in school for a chemical engineer, chemist or something else?
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitrevX View Post
It sounds like he moves his computer. disconnecting and reconnecting water lines would be retartedly painful. I'll say it again, honestly I really don't think a product like this exists other than modify a ac unit or go to phase change. I think its funny everyone jumps on a my nutz and then it turns out exactly as I though. All i can do is google for something your looking for because off hand I don't know a place that sells that kinda thing. But it would be nice if someone did because I'd buy one too. Simply put, your looking for colder than ambient air to run through your radiator. And I'm guessing you want it to be compact so it can be moved.. I'll look but the odds are against us..

just wondering, are you in school for a chemical engineer, chemist or something else?
There are hose quick-disconnect which shut off the liquid as you dis-connect them:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/23...tl=g30c101s182
TITAN-6
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4GHZ ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 570 8GB G.skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ160 Blu Ray DVD writer Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Sceptre 24" LCD BENQ 3D 24" LCD Logitech G510 Corsair 750W HX professional single rail 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Sniper Razer Naga left-handed version None Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
TITAN-6
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K @ 4GHZ ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 570 8GB G.skill Sniper DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ160 Blu Ray DVD writer Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Sceptre 24" LCD BENQ 3D 24" LCD Logitech G510 Corsair 750W HX professional single rail 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Sniper Razer Naga left-handed version None Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Refrigeration Unit