Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › My results on my SSD, problem, or normal for this drive?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My results on my SSD, problem, or normal for this drive? - Page 2

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Looks normal to me. I have one as well.
No point in getting a SATA 3 mobo unless you are going to a new chipset and CPU.
How much free space is on the drive?

Hey sean thanks for your answer.
I followed your setup guide step by step once I saw this going on.
So it's nice to hear that this is the normal of this SSD and not some other problem.
ATM I have 44-46gb of free space on the SSD.

I was thinking of getting the Sapphire Pure Black X58 MB with sata 3 and usb 3.
(as listed in my other thread in regards to updates.)
The reason being that when I eventually upgrade my main parts of the PC, MB and CPU I pass my parts down to my wife.
I don't want her to be restricted by some out of date technology that could be avoided.

Will a vertex 4 or M4 perform better on my current system?
or will i not achieve more peformance without the sataIII functionality?
Edited by Xoriam - 6/20/12 at 7:25pm
My Current System
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 950 @4.2ghz Sapphire Pure Black X58 Sapphire AMD 7870 xt Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 24GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston v100 64gb SSD Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 40" 1920X1080 Toshiba FullHDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Coolermaster supersilent 1000watt 80%+ gold Aerocool Strike-X one advance Razer Naga 
Audio
M-audio profire 610 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 Asus P5Q-E AMD 7850 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Kingston v100 64gb Zalman cnps7500-cu LED windows 7 64bit logitech g105 
PowerCaseMouse
Fatality 550 GMC red edition Logitech G600 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E2200 Asus P5kpl-cm Nvidia 8600gt 2gb XMS2 800mhz 
OSCase
Windows 7 32bit Coolermaster Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
My Current System
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 950 @4.2ghz Sapphire Pure Black X58 Sapphire AMD 7870 xt Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 24GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston v100 64gb SSD Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 40" 1920X1080 Toshiba FullHDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Coolermaster supersilent 1000watt 80%+ gold Aerocool Strike-X one advance Razer Naga 
Audio
M-audio profire 610 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 Asus P5Q-E AMD 7850 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Kingston v100 64gb Zalman cnps7500-cu LED windows 7 64bit logitech g105 
PowerCaseMouse
Fatality 550 GMC red edition Logitech G600 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E2200 Asus P5kpl-cm Nvidia 8600gt 2gb XMS2 800mhz 
OSCase
Windows 7 32bit Coolermaster Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoriam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Looks normal to me. I have one as well.
No point in getting a SATA 3 mobo unless you are going to a new chipset and CPU.
How much free space is on the drive?

Hey sean thanks for your answer.
I followed your setup guide step by step once I saw this going on.
So it's nice to hear that this is the normal of this SSD and not some other problem.
ATM I have 44-46gb of free space on the SSD.

I was thinking of getting the Sapphire Pure Black X58 MB with sata 3 and usb 3.
(as listed in my other thread in regards to updates.)
The reason being that when I eventually upgrade my main parts of the PC, MB and CPU I pass my parts down to my wife.
I don't want her to be restricted by some out of date technology that could be avoided.
ehhh, it really isn't restriced as you think. USB 2 vs 3 yes, but for SATA 2 vs 3 there is not much of a difference. Plusif you get a X58 mobo with SATA 3 then you are going to be using crappy Marvell SATA 6Gb/s ports. I advise to avoid them.
Quote:
Will a vertex 4 or M4 perform better on my current system?
Probably so. I have not used my v100 as a boot drive so I can not say lol.
Quote:
or will i not achieve more peformance without the sataIII functionality?
SATA 3 basically allows you more sequential speeds for read and write. Now, the main things with SSDs is latency and 4k speeds (not limited by SATA 2 or even 1). Even though they have higher seq. speeds the system doesn't really need them. As a matter of fact you will be hard pressed to tell the difference b/w a system with a SSD plugged in a SATA 2 vs SATA 3 port.
ROG Bench
(16 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
Le Papa's
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k Asus Maximus VI Extreme  MSI GTX 660 Ti PE OC 16GB G.Skill Ares 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 EVO  SanDisk Ultra II Micron M600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 WD Blue WD10EZEX Toshiba DT01ACA300 Plextor M6e 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 850W Thermaltake Urban T81 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 Dell  ASPEED 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Nanya 72GB 1066MHz ECC Registered Kingston V300 SanDisk Extreme II WD Red 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samung Spinpoint F4 Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 Samsung Spinpoint F3  Seagate 7200.12 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 Datacenter Dell C1100 PSU and Corsair 650TX  Dell C1100 Chassis and Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A8 5600K BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W G.Skill Ripjaws X  Crucial M4 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Asus DVD Burner Microsoft Windows 7 Professional  ASUS VE276Q HPw1907 
PowerCase
Antec Neo Eco 520 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
ROG Bench
(16 items)
 
Terrorbyte V2
(17 items)
 
Le Papa's
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-4670k Asus Maximus VI Extreme  MSI GTX 660 Ti PE OC 16GB G.Skill Ares 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 840 EVO  SanDisk Ultra II Micron M600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial MX100 WD Blue WD10EZEX Toshiba DT01ACA300 Plextor M6e 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Thermalright Silver Arrow Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 850W Thermaltake Urban T81 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5520 Intel Xeon L5520 Dell  ASPEED 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Nanya 72GB 1066MHz ECC Registered Kingston V300 SanDisk Extreme II WD Red 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samung Spinpoint F4 Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 Samsung Spinpoint F3  Seagate 7200.12 
OSPowerCaseOther
Windows Server 2012 Datacenter Dell C1100 PSU and Corsair 650TX  Dell C1100 Chassis and Norco RPC 4224 LSI 9261-8i 
Other
Intel RES2CV240 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A8 5600K BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85W G.Skill Ripjaws X  Crucial M4 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Asus DVD Burner Microsoft Windows 7 Professional  ASUS VE276Q HPw1907 
PowerCase
Antec Neo Eco 520 HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

ehhh, it really isn't restriced as you think. USB 2 vs 3 yes, but for SATA 2 vs 3 there is not much of a difference. Plusif you get a X58 mobo with SATA 3 then you are going to be using crappy Marvell SATA 6Gb/s ports. I advise to avoid them.
Quote:
Will a vertex 4 or M4 perform better on my current system?
Probably so. I have not used my v100 as a boot drive so I can not say lol.
Quote:
or will i not achieve more peformance without the sataIII functionality?
SATA 3 basically allows you more sequential speeds for read and write. Now, the main things with SSDs is latency and 4k speeds (not limited by SATA 2 or even 1). Even though they have higher seq. speeds the system doesn't really need them. As a matter of fact you will be hard pressed to tell the difference b/w a system with a SSD plugged in a SATA 2 vs SATA 3 port.

Thanks alot for clearing that up.

I think I will go the route of grabbing a Vertex 4 or M4 see if my file transfer speeds and writes are faster.
(I do alot of large file transfering on a daily basis, and work with music/video/art industry as well. So if I can achieve faster access this will make my life just a bit easier tongue.gif)
If this does work, I will then combine the other 2 drives into raid for the 2nd PC. (IE wife pc)
My Current System
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 950 @4.2ghz Sapphire Pure Black X58 Sapphire AMD 7870 xt Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 24GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston v100 64gb SSD Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 40" 1920X1080 Toshiba FullHDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Coolermaster supersilent 1000watt 80%+ gold Aerocool Strike-X one advance Razer Naga 
Audio
M-audio profire 610 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 Asus P5Q-E AMD 7850 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Kingston v100 64gb Zalman cnps7500-cu LED windows 7 64bit logitech g105 
PowerCaseMouse
Fatality 550 GMC red edition Logitech G600 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E2200 Asus P5kpl-cm Nvidia 8600gt 2gb XMS2 800mhz 
OSCase
Windows 7 32bit Coolermaster Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
My Current System
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 950 @4.2ghz Sapphire Pure Black X58 Sapphire AMD 7870 xt Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 24GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Kingston v100 64gb SSD Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 40" 1920X1080 Toshiba FullHDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Coolermaster supersilent 1000watt 80%+ gold Aerocool Strike-X one advance Razer Naga 
Audio
M-audio profire 610 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8500 Asus P5Q-E AMD 7850 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Kingston v100 64gb Zalman cnps7500-cu LED windows 7 64bit logitech g105 
PowerCaseMouse
Fatality 550 GMC red edition Logitech G600 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel E2200 Asus P5kpl-cm Nvidia 8600gt 2gb XMS2 800mhz 
OSCase
Windows 7 32bit Coolermaster Elite 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › My results on my SSD, problem, or normal for this drive?