Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › TN vs S-IPS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TN vs S-IPS

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I am going to just ask the plain outright question for a pretty plain answer, I play games that have alot of vivid details and vibrant colours and not all support eyefinity, so i am trading in my eyefinity setup of 1920x1080 monitors (think they are TN) For a 2560x1440 Catleap 27Q, Will i notice a differance in colours at all, Just curious is all, the reason why i ask OCN, is because OCN deals with these korean monitors alot, and i trust it more then i trust google.
Pandora
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2920XM @ 4.0ghz Alienware M17x R3 7970M 1050Mhz 16GB 1600mhz 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Blu-ray combo reader Windows 7 64Bit 17Inch Alienware M17x R3 Keyboard 
Power
240W Brick 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HIS HD 7970 Asus HD 7970 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 16GB black XSPC Raystorm XSPC RX 360 XSPC EX 360 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Koolance VID AR 797 Waterblocks. Cyborg V3 keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 1000 Modular HAF X 
MouseAudio
Cyborg RAT 9 xonar xense 
  hide details  
Reply
Pandora
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2920XM @ 4.0ghz Alienware M17x R3 7970M 1050Mhz 16GB 1600mhz 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Blu-ray combo reader Windows 7 64Bit 17Inch Alienware M17x R3 Keyboard 
Power
240W Brick 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HIS HD 7970 Asus HD 7970 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 16GB black XSPC Raystorm XSPC RX 360 XSPC EX 360 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Koolance VID AR 797 Waterblocks. Cyborg V3 keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 1000 Modular HAF X 
MouseAudio
Cyborg RAT 9 xonar xense 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

I am going to just ask the plain outright question for a pretty plain answer, I play games that have alot of vivid details and vibrant colours and not all support eyefinity, so i am trading in my eyefinity setup of 1920x1080 monitors (think they are TN) For a 2560x1440 Catleap 27Q, Will i notice a differance in colours at all, Just curious is all, the reason why i ask OCN, is because OCN deals with these korean monitors alot, and i trust it more then i trust google.
I had a shimian monitor which was equivalent of the catleaps and although the real estate is a huge plus it does not come close to my asus PA246Q pro art series in colour. I can't say too much for the catleap since my shimian does not have OSD so I was unable to calibrate it w/ my calibrator.
Ark II
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 970 Asus Rampage III EVGA GTX 580 12gb GT + Super Talent Hypers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 3 240gb + 4x raid 0 1tb F3's Samsung Blu-ray Windows 7 Ultimate 3x Asus ProArt 24' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steel Series 6v2 Enermax Revolution 1050w Corsair Obisidian 800D Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Glass Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Ark II
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 970 Asus Rampage III EVGA GTX 580 12gb GT + Super Talent Hypers 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Vertex 3 240gb + 4x raid 0 1tb F3's Samsung Blu-ray Windows 7 Ultimate 3x Asus ProArt 24' 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steel Series 6v2 Enermax Revolution 1050w Corsair Obisidian 800D Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Steel Series Glass Mouse Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkuatic View Post

I had a shimian monitor which was equivalent of the catleaps and although the real estate is a huge plus it does not come close to my asus PA246Q pro art series. I can't say too much for the catleap since my shimian does not have OSD so I was unable to calibrate it w/ my calibrator.

I know the realestate is going to be a bit of a drop horizontally for me, 6040x1080 Vs 2560x1440 but i'll get alot more vertical room and some desk space, Granted i did buy cheap 1080p monitors, I wonder if its worth going for the korean monitors with DP, instead of the DVI version, i hear it has better colour representation of DP vs DVI, so many choices.
Pandora
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2920XM @ 4.0ghz Alienware M17x R3 7970M 1050Mhz 16GB 1600mhz 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Blu-ray combo reader Windows 7 64Bit 17Inch Alienware M17x R3 Keyboard 
Power
240W Brick 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HIS HD 7970 Asus HD 7970 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 16GB black XSPC Raystorm XSPC RX 360 XSPC EX 360 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Koolance VID AR 797 Waterblocks. Cyborg V3 keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 1000 Modular HAF X 
MouseAudio
Cyborg RAT 9 xonar xense 
  hide details  
Reply
Pandora
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2920XM @ 4.0ghz Alienware M17x R3 7970M 1050Mhz 16GB 1600mhz 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Blu-ray combo reader Windows 7 64Bit 17Inch Alienware M17x R3 Keyboard 
Power
240W Brick 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HIS HD 7970 Asus HD 7970 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 16GB black XSPC Raystorm XSPC RX 360 XSPC EX 360 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Koolance VID AR 797 Waterblocks. Cyborg V3 keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 1000 Modular HAF X 
MouseAudio
Cyborg RAT 9 xonar xense 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

I know the realestate is going to be a bit of a drop horizontally for me, 6040x1080 Vs 2560x1440 but i'll get alot more vertical room and some desk space, Granted i did buy cheap 1080p monitors, I wonder if its worth going for the korean monitors with DP, instead of the DVI version, i hear it has better colour representation of DP vs DVI, so many choices.

Just a random question, which multiple of 6040x1080 do you have? I can't think of any common resolution that added up to 6040 :3
post #5 of 8
Simple answers? Sure.

TN vs IPS
- Your TN display has less panel latency meaning when data is presented to the panel itself it will update the screen faster. This translates to less ghosting.
- Your IPS display will have less logic latency meeaning when data is presented to the display as a whole it will make its way to the panel faster due to the lack of a scaler/converter board in the input chain. This translates to less delay between when your computer outputs an image and when it will show up on your display. There is the potential for less image delay but more ghosting since it's an IPS panel. Which is more distracting depends mostly on your subjective tastes.
- Your IPS display will have a better color gamut available for viewing from a wider angle. You should notice a difference if you look, but if you're a dichromat you probably will not.
SuperLOL
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2 x Pentium Pro 200 (1MB) ALR Evolution Dual6 ST Trident 8900C 1MB / ISA 768 MB FP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
80GB Seagate 7200.2 SATA Stock Intel Socket 8 Heatsink/Fan Combos BSD Sparkle 400W 
  hide details  
Reply
SuperLOL
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2 x Pentium Pro 200 (1MB) ALR Evolution Dual6 ST Trident 8900C 1MB / ISA 768 MB FP 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
80GB Seagate 7200.2 SATA Stock Intel Socket 8 Heatsink/Fan Combos BSD Sparkle 400W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle View Post

Simple answers? Sure.
TN vs IPS
- Your TN display has less panel latency meaning when data is presented to the panel itself it will update the screen faster. This translates to less ghosting.
- Your IPS display will have less logic latency meeaning when data is presented to the display as a whole it will make its way to the panel faster due to the lack of a scaler/converter board in the input chain. This translates to less delay between when your computer outputs an image and when it will show up on your display. There is the potential for less image delay but more ghosting since it's an IPS panel. Which is more distracting depends mostly on your subjective tastes.
- Your IPS display will have a better color gamut available for viewing from a wider angle. You should notice a difference if you look, but if you're a dichromat you probably will not.


@ previous poster 6040x1080 is a bezel corrected eyefinity Resolution, it's actualy 5760x1080, or 1920*3x1080


and @ quoted person, That was an answer i was looking for, The doctors say i might have mild colour blindness, but that was after they shoved a torch in my face and expected me to be able to distinquish between differant colours in a near pitch black room straight after.
Pandora
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2920XM @ 4.0ghz Alienware M17x R3 7970M 1050Mhz 16GB 1600mhz 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Blu-ray combo reader Windows 7 64Bit 17Inch Alienware M17x R3 Keyboard 
Power
240W Brick 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HIS HD 7970 Asus HD 7970 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 16GB black XSPC Raystorm XSPC RX 360 XSPC EX 360 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Koolance VID AR 797 Waterblocks. Cyborg V3 keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 1000 Modular HAF X 
MouseAudio
Cyborg RAT 9 xonar xense 
  hide details  
Reply
Pandora
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2920XM @ 4.0ghz Alienware M17x R3 7970M 1050Mhz 16GB 1600mhz 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Blu-ray combo reader Windows 7 64Bit 17Inch Alienware M17x R3 Keyboard 
Power
240W Brick 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HIS HD 7970 Asus HD 7970 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 16GB black XSPC Raystorm XSPC RX 360 XSPC EX 360 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Koolance VID AR 797 Waterblocks. Cyborg V3 keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 1000 Modular HAF X 
MouseAudio
Cyborg RAT 9 xonar xense 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

@ previous poster 6040x1080 is a bezel corrected eyefinity Resolution, it's actualy 5760x1080, or 1920*3x1080
and @ quoted person, That was an answer i was looking for, The doctors say i might have mild colour blindness, but that was after they shoved a torch in my face and expected me to be able to distinquish between differant colours in a near pitch black room straight after.

Oh, cool. 6040x1080 is a lot more sexy than 5760x1080 numbers wise.

A lot more sexy.
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st. View Post

Oh, cool. 6040x1080 is a lot more sexy than 5760x1080 numbers wise.
A lot more sexy.

In the end i might get three of these korean IPS panels and go back to eyefinity, but first i want to play with just the one, And i'm sure my 7970's will be bored to death given the resolution has gone down, That said, I can notice the differance between 60 fps, 120 fps, and 240, Tends to get a bit iffy after that as Screen tearing is very much an issue, though overall the higher framerate, the "Smoother" the game feels, Granted i am not one of those 800 FPs CSS Rapidshot strained eyeball people, i prefer MMORPG's, RTS and the occasional co op FPS, Colour vibrancy and detail are more important to me then OH MY GOD I CAN STILL SEE TWO FRAMES AGO AT 400 FRAMES PER SECOND, WE all know how those people are >_>


And as for the previous subject, I think my eyes are fine personaly despite the glasses, CRT TV's/Monitors have always looked and felt 'Warmer' To me colour wise in comparison to LCD's, I'm not sure if that makes any sense,

and as for the games i play, It'll be WoW, Rift, Sc2, RA3, MAYBE secret world, and random steam games.

Edit: oh and D3, i forgot d3, Though Despite D3 not supporting eyefinity, i did sort of cheat and get it to work (TOTALY gives an unfair advantage agaisnt single monitor players *Cough* internet fights are fair cough*)
Edited by Rayleyne - 6/21/12 at 6:07am
Pandora
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2920XM @ 4.0ghz Alienware M17x R3 7970M 1050Mhz 16GB 1600mhz 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Blu-ray combo reader Windows 7 64Bit 17Inch Alienware M17x R3 Keyboard 
Power
240W Brick 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HIS HD 7970 Asus HD 7970 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 16GB black XSPC Raystorm XSPC RX 360 XSPC EX 360 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Koolance VID AR 797 Waterblocks. Cyborg V3 keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 1000 Modular HAF X 
MouseAudio
Cyborg RAT 9 xonar xense 
  hide details  
Reply
Pandora
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2920XM @ 4.0ghz Alienware M17x R3 7970M 1050Mhz 16GB 1600mhz 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Blu-ray combo reader Windows 7 64Bit 17Inch Alienware M17x R3 Keyboard 
Power
240W Brick 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus Sabertooth Z77 HIS HD 7970 Asus HD 7970 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 16GB black XSPC Raystorm XSPC RX 360 XSPC EX 360 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Koolance VID AR 797 Waterblocks. Cyborg V3 keyboard Thermaltake Toughpower 1000 Modular HAF X 
MouseAudio
Cyborg RAT 9 xonar xense 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › TN vs S-IPS