Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Fans!!!! The most complete and comprehensive array of tests and benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fans!!!! The most complete and comprehensive array of tests and benchmarks - Page 196

post #1951 of 2758
The swiftech helix 120 pwm 1800 rpm fans have one annoying quality to them even at low rpm ( 1000 ) you dont get much air noise but the motors have this sort of brrrrrrrrrrr to them, anyone else notice that ? I dont remember the GT AP-15s having this issue, or maybe it`s just because they are pwm controlled no? and it`s just not the one fan, every one of the 3 I have have the same issue thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
post #1952 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroCat View Post

Welcome to GT week on OCN. biggrin.gif

At 120mm, suggest the 1850rpm PWM GTs. At least 6dB quieter than the SP120 with slightly better performance at lower rpm. GTs have a far more pleasant noise profile and much better build quality. In case you missed the link in my previous posts, Darkside PWM GT or the 2150rpm PWM version from Coolerguys . The 120 EK F4ER is another high performance option.

For performance at 140mm, the Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM delivers. It also spins down to 350rpm on PWM, so it can run quietly too. The EK F3ER or F4 are solid high performance options too.


Thermalbench IPPC-3000 test

Check the tests on the first page of this thread too. The IPPC-3000 performs the best of the 140mm fans tested - at the expense of noise. Any 140mm fan above 2000rpm is going to be on the loud side. Not my cup of cooling. I've stopped chasing the lowest temps and prefer to get the lowest temps with the least amount of noise.

Which...looking at your rad area and only cooling the cpu, you should be able to have both low temps and low to moderate noise. What are the load temps currently with the 5960?


Thanks for the info. At 4.5ghz + 4.2ghz cache @ 1.3v or so my temps are decent. In the mid 30's idle, and on full load with like Cinebench or such i get up in the mid 70's. But once i go to 4.6ghz i need to push 1.4v to get stable, and that ends up with me hitting mid 40's idle and mid 80's under Cinebench load. And i ordered a 4.4ghz binned I7 6800K from siliconlottery; gonna test it and see how it does and sell my 5960X if i can get the 6800K to perform as well in multi-core as a stock 3.5ghz 5960X since i'll theoretically get better single core perf on broadwell-e while keeping "Most" of the multi-core perf for a lower cost than i can sell the 5960X for. The thing is, Broadwell-E is even MORE hot! The dense 14nm process means higher voltages rack up heat even worse than on the 5960X. And i'm only guaranteed the 4.4ghz bin at "1.34v or lower. The "or lower" means its just a placeholder, so it'll likely be more like ~1.3v - 1.34v range to hit 4.4ghz, but i'm wanting to hit 4.5ghz on it at a safe for 24/7 voltage and temperature, and its looking like i might have to climb to the max safe voltage of about ~1.4v to get a 4.5ghz overclock, so i'm wanting to keep my temps as low as possible to really maximize my overclocking potential and curb the heat output.



I really do like the Gentle Typhoons, especially the new black ones from darkside. Although i am doing a white oriented build so i love the look of the white ring on the SP120's etc.. Right now i have four SP120, so i suppose i could just swap all four of those onto my top 480 rad, ditch the cheapo fans, and then run three GT 120's on my front 360 rad. I did have four of the 140mm Noctua NF-A14 ippc's a while ago, but iirc they weren't PWM so they couldn't spin down and ended up returning them to amazon.

I got a FANTASTIC deal on the four SP120 i have already though, got them on NCIX's amazon site for....brace yourself....$5 for a pack of 2...bought two packs...should've bought TWENTY pack lol.



What's your opinion on these for a 140mm fan. Been interested in them for their black/white color scheme which matches my build but can't find a lot of info on them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835129076

Trying to find a not super expensive quiet radiator optimized 140mm especially since getting three GT's will run me ~$75 with shipping already. Kinda thinking of getting like a Mo RA3 nine fan external rad or something and maybe just running it "passive" till i can afford more fans lol.
Edited by DarkIdeals - 6/25/16 at 5:32am
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz DDR4 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY CS2211 MLC SATA III SSD WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm Writemaster DVD/CD +/- RW EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Ice White Coolant Coollaboratory Liquid Copper TIM XSPC EX480mm Radiator Black Ice GTX 360mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK XTC 420mm Radiator Swiftech MCP655-B 12v Pump EK RES X3 250 Reservoir Bitspower/EK 3/8" x 1/2" Compression fitting 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync ASUS VG23AH 23.5" Passive 3d 1080p 60hz  Razer Blackwidow Chroma Tournament Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova G2 1000 Caselabs SMA8 -XXL Window, Ventilated sides/t... Razer Ouroboros Norman Rockwell collection series print Mousepad 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 300ohm Open Back Headphones SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25" Bay AMP/DAC  
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz DDR4 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY CS2211 MLC SATA III SSD WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm Writemaster DVD/CD +/- RW EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Ice White Coolant Coollaboratory Liquid Copper TIM XSPC EX480mm Radiator Black Ice GTX 360mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK XTC 420mm Radiator Swiftech MCP655-B 12v Pump EK RES X3 250 Reservoir Bitspower/EK 3/8" x 1/2" Compression fitting 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync ASUS VG23AH 23.5" Passive 3d 1080p 60hz  Razer Blackwidow Chroma Tournament Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova G2 1000 Caselabs SMA8 -XXL Window, Ventilated sides/t... Razer Ouroboros Norman Rockwell collection series print Mousepad 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 300ohm Open Back Headphones SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25" Bay AMP/DAC  
  hide details  
Reply
post #1953 of 2758
how is it you can afford 5960x and binned 6800k but dont have money to buy fans ? rolleyes.gif
post #1954 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

how is it you can afford 5960x and binned 6800k but dont have money to buy fans ? rolleyes.gif


Its called buying thousands of dollars of PC gear and "running out" of money tongue.gif


Had to sell a bunch of my stuff just to afford the 5960X etc.. I rarely if ever can afford PC builds, so i try to go all out when i do.
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz DDR4 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY CS2211 MLC SATA III SSD WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm Writemaster DVD/CD +/- RW EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Ice White Coolant Coollaboratory Liquid Copper TIM XSPC EX480mm Radiator Black Ice GTX 360mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK XTC 420mm Radiator Swiftech MCP655-B 12v Pump EK RES X3 250 Reservoir Bitspower/EK 3/8" x 1/2" Compression fitting 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync ASUS VG23AH 23.5" Passive 3d 1080p 60hz  Razer Blackwidow Chroma Tournament Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova G2 1000 Caselabs SMA8 -XXL Window, Ventilated sides/t... Razer Ouroboros Norman Rockwell collection series print Mousepad 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 300ohm Open Back Headphones SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25" Bay AMP/DAC  
  hide details  
Reply
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X ASUS Rampage V Extreme MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz DDR4 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY CS2211 MLC SATA III SSD WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm Writemaster DVD/CD +/- RW EK Supremacy EVO 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Mayhem's Pastel Ice White Coolant Coollaboratory Liquid Copper TIM XSPC EX480mm Radiator Black Ice GTX 360mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK XTC 420mm Radiator Swiftech MCP655-B 12v Pump EK RES X3 250 Reservoir Bitspower/EK 3/8" x 1/2" Compression fitting 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync ASUS VG23AH 23.5" Passive 3d 1080p 60hz  Razer Blackwidow Chroma Tournament Edition 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova G2 1000 Caselabs SMA8 -XXL Window, Ventilated sides/t... Razer Ouroboros Norman Rockwell collection series print Mousepad 
AudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 300ohm Open Back Headphones SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25" Bay AMP/DAC  
  hide details  
Reply
post #1955 of 2758
Thread Starter 
Thermalright with 140mm SQUARE fans? Is it April 1st already?
No Bottlenecks
(21 items)
 
 
File Server
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.8 GHz 1.35V Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 MSI GTX 1080 TI Sea Hawk EK X @ 2.1 / 12 GHz 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 3350 MHz 15-14-14-34-2T 1.35V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB WD Red 8TB NAS 10 * 6TB HGST Desktar NAS (RAID Z2) Go away 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FB GA Z170X Monoblock EK/MSI Waterblock/Backplate 2 * Dazmode Darkside LP360 MCP355 DDC @ 7V 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
9 * Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition @ 7V 8.1 Pro 12-bit ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q + LG 34UM58-P Corsair Vengeance K60 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic SS-520FL2 - Fanless Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
Audio
Asus Xonar DSX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7 GHz 1.39V Maximus VI Gene MSI GTX 1070 Seahawk EK X @ 2.1/9.0 Ghz 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2600 MHz 11-14-14-14-2T 1.65V 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Seagate Barracuda 8TB I will end you Dazmode Darkside Maple Leaf Special Edition 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK GTX 1070 Seahawk Feser TFC Admiral 240 Black Ice GTX Xtreme M92 6 * Silverstone SST-FN121-P 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
2 * Noctua NF-B9 Redux 8 Pro 64-bit Samsung U28D590D 28" 4K Overlord Tempest X270OC 27" 1440P @ 72 Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K60 EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 NZXT Vulcan (With Attached Handle) Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
E5-2670 Supermicro X9SRA 64GB Samsung ECC 1333 MHz Mushkin Ventura Pro 32GB (Boot) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
10 * 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS (RAID Z2) I will harm you Corsair H60 FreeNAS 9.10 
PowerCase
Corsair RM650 (Passive) Fractal Design Define R5 
  hide details  
Reply
No Bottlenecks
(21 items)
 
 
File Server
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.8 GHz 1.35V Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 MSI GTX 1080 TI Sea Hawk EK X @ 2.1 / 12 GHz 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 3350 MHz 15-14-14-34-2T 1.35V 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB WD Red 8TB NAS 10 * 6TB HGST Desktar NAS (RAID Z2) Go away 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK-FB GA Z170X Monoblock EK/MSI Waterblock/Backplate 2 * Dazmode Darkside LP360 MCP355 DDC @ 7V 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
9 * Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition @ 7V 8.1 Pro 12-bit ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q + LG 34UM58-P Corsair Vengeance K60 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic SS-520FL2 - Fanless Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Proteus Core XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
Audio
Asus Xonar DSX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7 GHz 1.39V Maximus VI Gene MSI GTX 1070 Seahawk EK X @ 2.1/9.0 Ghz 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2600 MHz 11-14-14-14-2T 1.65V 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Seagate Barracuda 8TB I will end you Dazmode Darkside Maple Leaf Special Edition 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK GTX 1070 Seahawk Feser TFC Admiral 240 Black Ice GTX Xtreme M92 6 * Silverstone SST-FN121-P 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
2 * Noctua NF-B9 Redux 8 Pro 64-bit Samsung U28D590D 28" 4K Overlord Tempest X270OC 27" 1440P @ 72 Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K60 EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 NZXT Vulcan (With Attached Handle) Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
E5-2670 Supermicro X9SRA 64GB Samsung ECC 1333 MHz Mushkin Ventura Pro 32GB (Boot) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
10 * 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS (RAID Z2) I will harm you Corsair H60 FreeNAS 9.10 
PowerCase
Corsair RM650 (Passive) Fractal Design Define R5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1956 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Thermalright with 140mm SQUARE fans? Is it April 1st already?
Lets see, if it's not April 1st we should be getting retail sample in the next week or two.

I did notice their cfm numbers are more conservative than round models. 62.5cfm vs 73.6cfm for TY-147Asq vs TY-147A and 123.5cfm vs 130cfm for TY-143sq vs TY-143.
post #1957 of 2758
All there is to do is wait for my 5x darkside gentle typhoon 1850 pwm to get here now smile.gif
post #1958 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Lets see, if it's not April 1st we should be getting retail sample in the next week or two.

I did notice their cfm numbers are more conservative than round models. 62.5cfm vs 73.6cfm for TY-147Asq vs TY-147A and 123.5cfm vs 130cfm for TY-143sq vs TY-143.

Slower rated speeds?

Edit: Nope, doesn't seem like it.
post #1959 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

Slower rated speeds?

Edit: Nope, doesn't seem like it.
Indeed. I can understand how the square might change it a little, like the 123.5cfm ot 130cfm on TY-143sq to TY-143, but the TY-147Asq is 11.1cfm different .. just seems to be too much difference .. unless they are just being conservative.
post #1960 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIdeals View Post

Thanks for the info. At 4.5ghz + 4.2ghz cache @ 1.3v or so my temps are decent. In the mid 30's idle, and on full load with like Cinebench or such i get up in the mid 70's. But once i go to 4.6ghz i need to push 1.4v to get stable, and that ends up with me hitting mid 40's idle and mid 80's under Cinebench load. And i ordered a 4.4ghz binned I7 6800K from siliconlottery; gonna test it and see how it does and sell my 5960X if i can get the 6800K to perform as well in multi-core as a stock 3.5ghz 5960X since i'll theoretically get better single core perf on broadwell-e while keeping "Most" of the multi-core perf for a lower cost than i can sell the 5960X for. The thing is, Broadwell-E is even MORE hot! The dense 14nm process means higher voltages rack up heat even worse than on the 5960X. And i'm only guaranteed the 4.4ghz bin at "1.34v or lower. The "or lower" means its just a placeholder, so it'll likely be more like ~1.3v - 1.34v range to hit 4.4ghz, but i'm wanting to hit 4.5ghz on it at a safe for 24/7 voltage and temperature, and its looking like i might have to climb to the max safe voltage of about ~1.4v to get a 4.5ghz overclock, so i'm wanting to keep my temps as low as possible to really maximize my overclocking potential and curb the heat output.



I really do like the Gentle Typhoons, especially the new black ones from darkside. Although i am doing a white oriented build so i love the look of the white ring on the SP120's etc.. Right now i have four SP120, so i suppose i could just swap all four of those onto my top 480 rad, ditch the cheapo fans, and then run three GT 120's on my front 360 rad. I did have four of the 140mm Noctua NF-A14 ippc's a while ago, but iirc they weren't PWM so they couldn't spin down and ended up returning them to amazon.

I got a FANTASTIC deal on the four SP120 i have already though, got them on NCIX's amazon site for....brace yourself....$5 for a pack of 2...bought two packs...should've bought TWENTY pack lol.



What's your opinion on these for a 140mm fan. Been interested in them for their black/white color scheme which matches my build but can't find a lot of info on them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835129076

Trying to find a not super expensive quiet radiator optimized 140mm especially since getting three GT's will run me ~$75 with shipping already. Kinda thinking of getting like a Mo RA3 nine fan external rad or something and maybe just running it "passive" till i can afford more fans lol.

Oh...white...don't look at these custom Darkside models then. biggrin.gif


My guess is that the 6800k from SL will run cooler than the 5960 despite the increase in thermal density. I would have expected with that much rad area your temps would be lower. I'm not going blame the corsair fans, but you can.

If you need to pure white fans, the EK F4ER has that option:


The Aerocools are optimized for low noise, more than static pressure on a rad. They're a decent fan, but offer less than half the performance of the 3k rpm Noc or EK F4ER 140mm which is cheaper than the Aerocool.

Ooooo...another rad. Why not a 180mm one? Alphacool XT45? The Silverstone FM181 is white, pushes a lot of air, thermalbench's fav 1800mm


Give us another day or so and pretty sure we can come up with more ways to spend lots of money you don't have. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Fans!!!! The most complete and comprehensive array of tests and benchmarks