Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Fans!!!! The most complete and comprehensive array of tests and benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fans!!!! The most complete and comprehensive array of tests and benchmarks - Page 207

post #2061 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroCat View Post

The definitive answer, as ever is: YES!

biggrin.gif

The less definitive answer is...best 140mm for what use? On a cooler? Rad? Case fan? Best max airflow regardless of noise? Lowest noise to airflow ratio? Sadly, there is no single best 140mm fan. (Not even the TY-147a is the best in all scenarios - just the important ones. tongue.gif)

I'm looking for case fan what do you think about noctua 1500 & fractal gp 14 1000rpm?
post #2062 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasterjj View Post

I'm looking for case fan what do you think about noctua 1500 & fractal gp 14 1000rpm?

What case and what sort of system is in the case? What cpu cooler?

I like the GP-14 for a very quiet case fan - it's one of the few case fans that moves more air when used with a filter than in free air. See ehume's review of it here. At a max rpm of 1000, it doesn't move as much air as faster 140mm fans. But, even at max rpm, it's very quiet. Near inaudible a foot away from the case.

The Noctua will move more air, with more noise, but assuming the PWM model (either the A14 or Redux), you can dial it down to be as quiet as the GP-14. I like to run most of my case fans split from the CPU header and/or GPU header so that when the system works harder, the case breathes harder too.
post #2063 of 2778
i kinda hate my local stores, they pulled out all of the low RPM GTs and left only 4250 RPM and 5400 RPM versions, annoying.

though theres an interesting lineup in their inventory at the moment, the ID Cooling fans.
paper spec seems good, but i've yet to see a proper review done, and their designs are mostly a bunch of copies it seems.
post #2064 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasterjj View Post

best 140 fan?
Tell me what the 'best 15 tire' is and I'll tell you what the 'best 140 fan' is. biggrin.gif
post #2065 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasterjj View Post

I'm looking for case fan what do you think about noctua 1500 & fractal gp 14 1000rpm?
Like MicroCat said, which 1500?
This older fan review is also good.

Thermalbench does good fan testing. Enter the fan you wnat to see in forum search.

Cooling Technique do good fan testing. Enter the fan you want to see in their search. Often the fan testing is done with fan in a case or cooler review.

To me the key to a cool quiet case is case fans that change speed based on heat and airflow demand .. same as CPU and GPU fans do. This way we can use 1300-1500rpm fans that operate at 300-600rpm 850% of the time, 800-1000rpm 12% and above 1000rpm 3% of the time .. like when it's 30c ambient and we hare worikng our systems at 100% CPU and GPU load.

More info available on request.

Edited by doyll - 7/7/16 at 1:34am
post #2066 of 2778
wait, we're talking about fans for case right? not fans for heatsinks?

i was wondering about one thing, if an exhaust fan were to be placed on a slot without the grills, which fans would be good?
in theory, since theres no obstructive grill then a fan with the highest CFM within a certain noise threshold would be best.

but cyclops doesn't test for CFM sadly, so we can only rely on other reviews for a rough estimate.
post #2067 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

wait, we're talking about fans for case right? not fans for heatsinks?

i was wondering about one thing, if an exhaust fan were to be placed on a slot without the grills, which fans would be good?
in theory, since theres no obstructive grill then a fan with the highest CFM within a certain noise threshold would be best.

but cyclops doesn't test for CFM sadly, so we can only rely on other reviews for a rough estimate.
Honerstly the difference between a 'case' fan, a 'cooler' fan and a 'radiator' fan is what they are mounted on. tongue.gif Sure each has different resistance to airflow but which has the most depends on what case, cooler or radiator they are on. Some cases with fancy grills and good filters are more restrictive than a good radiator is.

CFM is a name that is more often then not miss-used and really means nothing without knowing the resistance pressure differential and rpm .. something rarely shown.

What it all boils down to is having a fan that is able to overcome more resistance (build more pressure) than we need is not a problem, but having a fan that cannot means we have little or no airflow, and that is a big problem.

It's like having a sports car that will go 120mpy in 8 seconds and can do 120mph for hours at at time on a race course compared to an old clunker car that goes 30mph in town, can barely reach 60mph on flat ground on the highway and can't make it over a mountain pass without overheating. We can drive the sports car at 60mph all day long, over high moutntain passes or drive it 30mph in town. The old clunker will get us around town, but just barely .. but is no good on the highway and definitely not going to make it on a race course. The sports car can still drive around town, but can do so much more. wink.gif
post #2068 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroCat View Post

What case and what sort of system is in the case? What cpu cooler?

I like the GP-14 for a very quiet case fan - it's one of the few case fans that moves more air when used with a filter than in free air. See ehume's review of it here. At a max rpm of 1000, it doesn't move as much air as faster 140mm fans. But, even at max rpm, it's very quiet. Near inaudible a foot away from the case.

The Noctua will move more air, with more noise, but assuming the PWM model (either the A14 or Redux), you can dial it down to be as quiet as the GP-14. I like to run most of my case fans split from the CPU header and/or GPU header so that when the system works harder, the case breathes harder too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Tell me what the 'best 15 tire' is and I'll tell you what the 'best 140 fan' is. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Like MicroCat said, which 1500?
This older fan review is also good.

Thermalbench does good fan testing. Enter the fan you wnat to see in forum search.

Cooling Technique do good fan testing. Enter the fan you want to see in their search. Often the fan testing is done with fan in a case or cooler review.

To me the key to a cool quiet case is case fans that change speed based on heat and airflow demand .. same as CPU and GPU fans do. This way we can use 1300-1500rpm fans that operate at 300-600rpm 850% of the time, 800-1000rpm 12% and above 1000rpm 3% of the time .. like when it's 30c ambient and we hare worikng our systems at 100% CPU and GPU load.

More info available on request.

thanks for the link anyway:)

I currently have D15 wtih stock 140 plus 120mm fan. As far as case fan I have 120 intake and exhaust. Temperature is excellent but I feel my case is too small.

I was thinking of buying fractal define S with three GP14 intake & two GP14 exhaust or three GP14 intake & one slightly faster 140. overkill?
Edited by Damasterjj - 7/7/16 at 8:35am
post #2069 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasterjj View Post



thanks for the link anyway:)

I currently have D15 wtih stock 140 plus 120mm fan. As far as case fan I have 120 intake and exhaust. Temperature is excellent but I feel my case is too small.

I was thinking of buying fractal define S with three GP14 intake & two GP14 exhaust or three GP14 intake & one slightly faster 140. overkill?
D15 stock fans are very good, no reason to change.
With good temps there is no reason to change cases.
Why do you 'feel' case is too small? Obviously it is big enough for for a big cooler like D15 to fit. And as long as GPU fits it's big enough. tongue.gif
post #2070 of 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

D15 stock fans are very good, no reason to change.
With good temps there is no reason to change cases.
Why do you 'feel' case is too small? Obviously it is big enough for for a big cooler like D15 to fit. And as long as GPU fits it's big enough. tongue.gif

yeah I plan on keeping d15 stock fans. the only thing i want to change is case. In to to additional airflow I want a case that a little more roomy I really don't how I manage to fit the D15:)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Fans!!!! The most complete and comprehensive array of tests and benchmarks