Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Lower memory multiplier with the same effective frequency = better performance?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lower memory multiplier with the same effective frequency = better performance?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
A lot of people at my work say that having the CPU/Memory ratio low can help performance a great deal. So rather than changing the multi to X8 to get the full 1600 speed, change the FSB and keep the multi as low as possible.. Is there any truth to this?
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by timma100 View Post

A lot of people at my work say that having the CPU/Memory ratio low can help performance a great deal. So rather than changing the multi to X8 to get the full 1600 speed, change the FSB and keep the multi as low as possible.. Is there any truth to this?

When you change the FSB you are altering several CPU parameters at once vs. just changing the RAM frequency. Increasing the CPU clockspeed is where the greatest gains are once the DDR3 RAM is at ~1333 MHz. or higher. How you get the RAM frequency isn't particularly important but getting the maximum CPU clockspeed will deliver the best system performance gains. The CPU does not care if you use the multiplier or the FSB to achieve the highest frequency. It's worth noting that you can skew things out of shape by changing the FSB if you are unable to control all frequencies independently however.

So the answer is: You must test to see what works best for your hardware wink.gif
Edited by AMD4ME - 6/27/12 at 3:06pm
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD4ME View Post

When you change the FSB you are altering several CPU parameters at once vs. just changing the RAM frequency. Increasing the CPU clockspeed is where the greatest gains are once the DDR3 RAM is at ~1333 MHz. or higher. How you get the RAM frequency isn't particularly important but getting the maximum CPU clockspeed will deliver the best system performance gains. The CPU does not care if you use the multiplier or the FSB to achieve the highest frequency. It's worth noting that you can skew things out of shape by changing the FSB if you are unable to control all frequencies independently however.
So the answer is: You must test to see what works best for your hardware wink.gif

Guess I should have added that lol, I know it changes everything, I planned to keep ever other frequency in check.
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by timma100 View Post

Guess I should have added that lol, I know it changes everything, I planned to keep ever other frequency in check.

Then the answer is NO it does not matter if you set the RAM frequency via a multi or FSB if the CPU frequency and all other frequencies remain the same.
post #5 of 5
Quote:
A lot of people at my work say that having the CPU/Memory ratio low can help performance a great deal.

Sounds like they're talking about FSB:DRAM ratio.  This applied on Intel platforms up until LGA1156 and AMD up to socket 754/939 on chipsets that had a memory controller integrated (and not on the CPU as with today's platforms).  FSB:DRAM ratio does not change performance on Socket AM3 because of the integrated memory controller.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Lower memory multiplier with the same effective frequency = better performance?