Originally Posted by yuppicide
Awhile ago I got a bundle online.. I really needed a computer upgrade because I was tired of my dual core system, the parts were a decent price to jump into quad core, so I bought it even if the parts weren't the best out there. I scrapped the case and power supply since the case was very cramped inside and the power supply got horrible reviews. I see the motherboard has a few overclocking options, but I'm unsure what to do. Here's what I have:
Stuff that matters:
- ECS A740 GM-M - I have the 5/7/2010 BIOS, not the latest one, but the latest one doesn't seem to have much in the updates anyway.
- AMD Phenom 9750 2.4Ghz quad-core
- Radeon HD 6850
- 750 Watt power supply - Nothing fancy. Kingwin black was on sale. At least it's a name I've heard before.
- 6 or 7 whisper quiet 120mm fans in my case - I think only once or twice I've seen the temp go up a few degrees in the summer after playing games
- 4GB memory - not sure I think I just have Crucial Value. I don't feel like opening the case, but I used software to look what I have and it says 400Mhz ( 400 x 2 = 800). Dual channel mode.
- CPU cooler I have the Thermaltake Contac-30 with a 120mm fan on it:
Stuff I just feel like mentioning:
27" ViewSonic monitor
In the motherboard manual I see the following:
HT Frequency (Auto)
This item enables users to manually set up the HyperTransport frequency, ranging
from Auto, 1x, to 5x.
I also see:
CPU Over-clocking Function (Disabled)
This item decides the CPU over-clocking function/frequency installed in your system.
Not sure what I should be trying for either of those or if I should look at something else. Here's the manual: