Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Difference between realtemp and Asus AI Thermal Radar
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Difference between realtemp and Asus AI Thermal Radar

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hi buddies,

Today I installed my new cooler Cooler Master Hyper EVO and started to Prime95. I was watching the temperatures of All cores via RealTemp and besides, original Asus based program Asus Thermal Radar was also opened. And I realized that; realtemp values and Thermal radar values didnt match with each other and There was a real huge difference in temperatures. So, here is the results, Please comment this situation.. Wo is wrong? realtemp or Asus Thermal Radar? And Why?

277
post #2 of 17
Ai suite thermal reports are crap,
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Then as you see, My cpu overclocked 4.2 Ghz and I use Cooler Master Hyper EVO. So, this means my temperatures are really high for i5 2500 k @ 4.2 with EVO.

Here is the question then, What is wrong? Why are these temps so high?
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vc1 View Post

Then as you see, My cpu overclocked 4.2 Ghz and I use Cooler Master Hyper EVO. So, this means my temperatures are really high for i5 2500 k @ 4.2 with EVO.
Here is the question then, What is wrong? Why are these temps so high?

I have no idea, maybe your cooler, its not installed properly. But for sure the realtemp report is right, aisuite is wrong. Had 5 asus boards already so i am sure of this.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vc1 View Post

And I realized that; realtemp values and Thermal radar values didnt match with each other and There was a real huge difference in temperatures. So, here is the results, Please comment this situation.. Wo is wrong? realtemp or Asus Thermal Radar? And Why?

Both are correct; the numbers differ because each utility is monitoring different sensors. Thermal Radar reports a CPU temperature from a sensor located underneath the CPU on the motherboard PCB. RealTemp reports CPU temperatures from the sensors located inside of the CPU itself.

The CPU temperature reported by Thermal Radar isn't of any real use, as you've already observed.
Kota's Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2Q X3380 @ 4.0 GHz Foxconn BLACKOPS X48 XFX 7870 Double D Black Edition 2 GB 8 GB G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 250GB Corsair Hydro H50 Push/Pull Corsair HX620 Silver AeroCool Masstige (Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
Kota's Rig
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2Q X3380 @ 4.0 GHz Foxconn BLACKOPS X48 XFX 7870 Double D Black Edition 2 GB 8 GB G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Samsung 840 250GB Corsair Hydro H50 Push/Pull Corsair HX620 Silver AeroCool Masstige (Modded) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post

Both are correct; the numbers differ because each utility is monitoring different sensors. Thermal Radar reports a CPU temperature from a sensor located underneath the CPU on the motherboard PCB. RealTemp reports CPU temperatures from the sensors located inside of the CPU itself.
The CPU temperature reported by Thermal Radar isn't of any real use, as you've already observed.
I think so,
Because when realtemp was at first start, it warned me about presence of different sensors but I didnt care about what it really says about. But, why doesnt thermal radar retrieve temp info directly from the cpu and why does it intend to use a useless sensor that actually says nothing important?
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vc1 View Post

But, why doesnt thermal radar retrieve temp info directly from the cpu and why does it intend to use a useless sensor that actually says nothing important?

Maybe Asus didn't want to scare users. The peak core temperature when fully loaded is much higher than any other temperature within your computer. Users that don't understand that these sensors are reading information from the hottest spots on the CPU core end up thinking there is something wrong with their computer and then call Asus tech support to complain. Much safer to just show a meaningless CPU temperature which is not nearly as hot. Heat within the CPU dissipates very rapidly as you move a short distance away from these hot spots.

Here is a thermal image from a fully loaded Core 2.

semim.jpg

You can see the big change in temperature from the peak core temperature to the edge of the CPU.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

Maybe Asus didn't want to scare users. The peak core temperature when fully loaded is much higher than any other temperature within your computer. Users that don't understand that these sensors are reading information from the hottest spots on the CPU core end up thinking there is something wrong with their computer and then call Asus tech support to complain. Much safer to just show a meaningless CPU temperature which is not nearly as hot. Heat within the CPU dissipates very rapidly as you move a short distance away from these hot spots.
Here is a thermal image from a fully loaded Core 2.
You can see the big change in temperature from the peak core temperature to the edge of the CPU.

I see clearly now. And here is another question; Can I make Asus Thermal Radar use the sensors that realtemp uses?
post #9 of 17
I don't think there is an option for Asus Thermal Radar to report peak core temperatures. There should be this option for enthusiasts that understand the difference. Maybe someday.
post #10 of 17
sorry for hijacking your thread but i also noticed strange temp readings when comparing temperatures between real temp and asrock extreme utility, coretemp and
i was wondering if its the same thing?

Cpu I5 3570k @4,4ghz with Corsair H100
MB Asrock z77 Extreme 4

under load (prime95 - blend) real temp shows me about 42 °C and the asrock utility, coretemp show me 60 °C, difference is huge smile.gif.
Edited by MrDandy - 7/1/12 at 4:57am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Difference between realtemp and Asus AI Thermal Radar