so im prepping the Maximus V Formula for benching. I actually never planned to bench the UD5h (the board used/mentioned in all previous posts of this thread), but since it took ASUS several months to get the stick out of their butts, my impatience got the better of me. At any rate, the Maximus V Formula has been released and I have been testing it on air for the past week or so, but now it's time for it to serve its intended purpose. The reason I'm posting the prep method of this motherboard is because I am employing one that is entirely different than before. This time I am using the 'ole grease and shop towels method.
My inspiration came from a rudimentary guide that shammy posted over at kingpin forums
remove the two heatsinks using philips screwdriver. tape up the cpu socket with chip already mounted. I then greased up the entire back side of the board. once greased, i placed it on a piece of foam the size of the motherboard and then pushed the rods from the front of the board, through the foam, and screwed them into the backplate.
vaseline all over the board using a small paint brush (1/3'' bristles). smear a good amount in the DIMM and PCIe slots.
use hairdryer or heat gun (hairdryer would work better as it doesnt get so bloody hot and also blows more air) to melt the vaseline. this does two things: 1.) gives a nice, thin layer (too thick can interrupt contact between slot and memory) and 2.) allows the grease to flow into nooks and crannies that otherwise would not get covered.
then i meticulously placed a border of blue shop towels around the socket. i used about 4 layers. if you fold one of the towel a few times, then cut out a rectangle in the size you need it will have 2 or more layers already, thanks to folding it beforehand. I pushed the towel down in the areas where there were no capacitors, and it would stick to the grease and pretty much stay in place. I made the shop towel border the same size as the base of the Gemini pot.
then i made a foam gasket and cut out a square large enough for the base of the pot. (for more details on how i accomplish this, refer to my other posts towards the front of the thread)
Then, as always, i check to make sure the base actually fits far enough through to make good contact with the IHS of the chip.
i then mounted the pot like normal.
Take a second to note the unused holes on the gray hold-down bracket in the picture above. I have learned that these holes can be problematic for condensation/water buildup. When a layer of ice inevitably forms around the entire bracket while your benching, it finds its way into these holes. This becomes problematic when you crash and need to warm up the pot with a heatgun/torch. The ice melts and the liquid water flows down the holes and in between the layers of insulation surrounding the pot. not good. After sliding a sleeve of armaflex foam insulation over the pot, wrap it with paper towels BEFORE you mount it. Fold the excess towel inward and wedge it underneath the bracket. Then when your ice melts from torching the pot. the towel will catch everything for you. this is what it should look like after youve tucked it underneath and compressed it down with the bracket
then remounted the north-bridge heatsink with a fresh application of TIM
finally i placed a single layer of shop-towels on the areas of the board directly surrounding the CPU. just place the towel on the board and lightly press down and it sticks to the grease easily.
ready to go!