Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Bitfenix Prodigy & Phenom Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Bitfenix Prodigy & Phenom Owner's Club - Page 623

post #6221 of 11741
Just reading up on graphic cards now i have purchased all my other pc parts/components

Looking through this thread most have nvidia i would say, i know the driver support and updates for nvidia graphic cards are pretty good and they are considerably more expensive than the amd range of cards
But reading up on it (a lot of it is going over my head) the 7950 still performs better than say the gtx670 and if overclocked nearly on par with the gtx680 which is like £250 more?
So whats the reason for this and why do the majority of you guys prefer nvidia cards in your prodigy?
This will be my main rig for a couple of years, i would rather spend the extra £150-£200 now and say get the 7970/gtx 670/gtx680 than say next year have to fork out for a new card?

All help/assistance appreciated
post #6222 of 11741
I'm running 6970s right now and have had absolutely zero issues...I have nothing against AMD GPUs...the only reason I am picking up a 670 is for the shorter PCB...thumb.gif

Driver issues for AMD cards is for the most part an old issue that has been addressed, just some people got a bad taste and never forget...
monsterITX
(13 items)
 
mPowered
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k EVGA Z87 Stinger Sapphire 290x EVGA  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 34UM65 EVGA Supernova 750G Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech Performance MX 
Audio
Denon AVR-1913 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k MSI MPower Max AC MSI GTX 780 Lightning MSI GTX 780 Lightning 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
GSkill Trident Samsung 850 Pro EVGA 1300 Watt Case Labs Mercury S8 
  hide details  
Reply
monsterITX
(13 items)
 
mPowered
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k EVGA Z87 Stinger Sapphire 290x EVGA  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 34UM65 EVGA Supernova 750G Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech Performance MX 
Audio
Denon AVR-1913 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k MSI MPower Max AC MSI GTX 780 Lightning MSI GTX 780 Lightning 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
GSkill Trident Samsung 850 Pro EVGA 1300 Watt Case Labs Mercury S8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6223 of 11741
hi guys 1st post coming up, i recently purchased this case in white the other range of specs are as follows:
i7 3770k
ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
8gb kingston hyperx 1600
inno3d gtx 680
750w tesla psu

now my concern is that while gaming i smell what seems to be a hot or even burning smell when i run high graphical games such as far cry 3 or crysis 3 now the smell seems to be coming more from my psu, now the thing is i av my psu fan facing down towards the bottom of my case where the fan filter is i was just wanting to know is this correct or should it be facing the other way thanks and great site btw smile.gif
post #6224 of 11741
Quote:
Originally Posted by longroadtrip View Post

I'm running 6970s right now and have had absolutely zero issues...I have nothing against AMD GPUs...the only reason I am picking up a 670 is for the shorter PCB...thumb.gif

Driver issues for AMD cards is for the most part an old issue that has been addressed, just some people got a bad taste and never forget...
I will be fine though with a silverstone 550w psu with the 7950? Amd say minimum 500w needed

I do prefer the look of the gtx's but when u compare them with radeons..spec wise the radeons come out on top unless u go up to crazy money on the nvidia?
Decisions, decisions..
Didnt think moving away from console gaming would be so frustrating, there is just too much choice on the pc gaming side smile.gif
I never thought i would spend hours researching power supplies lol
post #6225 of 11741
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryld View Post

hi guys 1st post coming up, i recently purchased this case in white the other range of specs are as follows:
i7 3770k
ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
8gb kingston hyperx 1600
inno3d gtx 680
750w tesla psu

now my concern is that while gaming i smell what seems to be a hot or even burning smell when i run high graphical games such as far cry 3 or crysis 3 now the smell seems to be coming more from my psu, now the thing is i av my psu fan facing down towards the bottom of my case where the fan filter is i was just wanting to know is this correct or should it be facing the other way thanks and great site btw smile.gif

Ouch. I would run a PSU tester to see if there are any issues. SOMETIMES there is a burning smell when you first power everything up but if its consistent, then I would think it is safe to assume you may have a faulty PSU. Test it to be sure but something like that I would never chance thumb.gif
post #6226 of 11741
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryld View Post

hi guys 1st post coming up, i recently purchased this case in white the other range of specs are as follows:
i7 3770k
ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
8gb kingston hyperx 1600
inno3d gtx 680
750w tesla psu

now my concern is that while gaming i smell what seems to be a hot or even burning smell when i run high graphical games such as far cry 3 or crysis 3 now the smell seems to be coming more from my psu, now the thing is i av my psu fan facing down towards the bottom of my case where the fan filter is i was just wanting to know is this correct or should it be facing the other way thanks and great site btw smile.gif


How many PCI express connection dose that unit have ?
4690K
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690K Gigerbyte Z97 ITX Zotac GTX 980 Amp Extreme Edition  corsair 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD 240  H60 Windows 8.1 64Bit Asus 4K 
PowerCase
Silverstone 450E Fractal Design 
  hide details  
Reply
4690K
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690K Gigerbyte Z97 ITX Zotac GTX 980 Amp Extreme Edition  corsair 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD 240  H60 Windows 8.1 64Bit Asus 4K 
PowerCase
Silverstone 450E Fractal Design 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6227 of 11741
Quote:
Originally Posted by barebackbadger View Post

I will be fine though with a silverstone 550w psu with the 7950? Amd say minimum 500w needed

I do prefer the look of the gtx's but when u compare them with radeons..spec wise the radeons come out on top unless u go up to crazy money on the nvidia?
Decisions, decisions..
Didnt think moving away from console gaming would be so frustrating, there is just too much choice on the pc gaming side smile.gif
I never thought i would spend hours researching power supplies lol

Yep..you will be fine with the 550w Silverstone...Ignore what the GPU manufacturers recommend, that is mainly for multiple rail and lower end PSUs. The 7950 only draws 11W when idling, 176w maxed out, and an average of 126w...thumb.gif

My 6970s average 157w and max at 287w for comparison...
monsterITX
(13 items)
 
mPowered
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k EVGA Z87 Stinger Sapphire 290x EVGA  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 34UM65 EVGA Supernova 750G Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech Performance MX 
Audio
Denon AVR-1913 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k MSI MPower Max AC MSI GTX 780 Lightning MSI GTX 780 Lightning 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
GSkill Trident Samsung 850 Pro EVGA 1300 Watt Case Labs Mercury S8 
  hide details  
Reply
monsterITX
(13 items)
 
mPowered
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k EVGA Z87 Stinger Sapphire 290x EVGA  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 34UM65 EVGA Supernova 750G Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech Performance MX 
Audio
Denon AVR-1913 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k MSI MPower Max AC MSI GTX 780 Lightning MSI GTX 780 Lightning 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
GSkill Trident Samsung 850 Pro EVGA 1300 Watt Case Labs Mercury S8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6228 of 11741
it was a brand new psu and its only had a few hours use but on running in the desktop playing movies and music there is no smell but when the high graphical games get going the smell tends to appear

the side is also off the side of the case so maybe that makes me notice the smell more

the gpu is connected to the normal pci express slot and is then powered by 2 6 pin adapters
post #6229 of 11741
Test the 6 pin cables with a PSU tester..Looks like the stock Tesla 750 only has 1 6 pin connector..how do you have the second one connected?
monsterITX
(13 items)
 
mPowered
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k EVGA Z87 Stinger Sapphire 290x EVGA  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 34UM65 EVGA Supernova 750G Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech Performance MX 
Audio
Denon AVR-1913 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k MSI MPower Max AC MSI GTX 780 Lightning MSI GTX 780 Lightning 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
GSkill Trident Samsung 850 Pro EVGA 1300 Watt Case Labs Mercury S8 
  hide details  
Reply
monsterITX
(13 items)
 
mPowered
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k EVGA Z87 Stinger Sapphire 290x EVGA  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 34UM65 EVGA Supernova 750G Case Labs Mercury S3 Logitech Performance MX 
Audio
Denon AVR-1913 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
4770k MSI MPower Max AC MSI GTX 780 Lightning MSI GTX 780 Lightning 
RAMHard DrivePowerCase
GSkill Trident Samsung 850 Pro EVGA 1300 Watt Case Labs Mercury S8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6230 of 11741
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryld View Post

it was a brand new psu and its only had a few hours use but on running in the desktop playing movies and music there is no smell but when the high graphical games get going the smell tends to appear

the side is also off the side of the case so maybe that makes me notice the smell more

the gpu is connected to the normal pci express slot and is then powered by 2 6 pin adapters

New doesnt always mean not faulty. Sometimes people are unfortunate in getting a faulty piece of equipment. If its brand new, I would suggest exchanging it for a replacement either with where you bought it from or the manufacturer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Bitfenix Prodigy & Phenom Owner's Club