Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] MSI GTX 680 Lightning Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] MSI GTX 680 Lightning Owners Club - Page 754

post #7531 of 7827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retchy82 View Post

hey fella's first time owner and poster for 680 lightning im having heat issues im idling awesome at 29-32c now im not overclocked i ran a benchmark on kombustor/3dmark/3dmark11 and my temps jumps straight up to 70c and rises to mad.gif 80-85 and has even hit 88c this seems really high for not even having a overclock on it?

That is odd.  Are the fans working?  Do you have a fan profile set?  I would try setting the fan at maybe 60-70% then run the benchmark again, see how it does.  With my 680 Lightning and the fan at 60%, my temps stay right around 57-59C folding on it 24/7.

post #7532 of 7827
yeh thats at 100% fan curve o_O it wasnt doing this at the start it was under 60c and i havent even overclocked it yet mad.gif
post #7533 of 7827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retchy82 View Post

hey fella's first time owner and poster for 680 lightning im having heat issues im idling awesome at 29-32c now im not overclocked i ran a benchmark on kombustor/3dmark/3dmark11 and my temps jumps straight up to 70c and rises to mad.gif 80-85 and has even hit 88c this seems really high for not even having a overclock on it?
Try to re-apply thermal paste on your GPU and re-install the cooler with carefully, my 680LT cooler did not attach well and cause heat up to 80c when testing Vantage but after re-apply thermal paste with MX-4 + re-install HSF carefully now temp has gone down, like 63-64c.
Btw I use stock auto fan while tested Vantage with stock clock, idle is 33-35c.
SkynetX
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2623 V3 @3GHz running 3.3GHz MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition Inno3D GTX980Ti Ichill Black Hybrid  Gskill Ripjaws V 4x4G DDR4 2400MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB SATA3 SAMSUNG Bluray Combo SH-B123L Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
DELL U2713HMT Thermaltake Poseidon Z CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 1000W Silver Acrylic Benchtable 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Death Adder Blue 3.5G Razer Goliathus Extended [Control] Creative Inspire T3030 
  hide details  
Reply
SkynetX
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2623 V3 @3GHz running 3.3GHz MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition Inno3D GTX980Ti Ichill Black Hybrid  Gskill Ripjaws V 4x4G DDR4 2400MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB SATA3 SAMSUNG Bluray Combo SH-B123L Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo Windows 10 Pro 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
DELL U2713HMT Thermaltake Poseidon Z CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 1000W Silver Acrylic Benchtable 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Death Adder Blue 3.5G Razer Goliathus Extended [Control] Creative Inspire T3030 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7534 of 7827
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoroy View Post

Try to re-apply thermal paste on your GPU and re-install the cooler with carefully, my 680LT cooler did not attach well and cause heat up to 80c when testing Vantage but after re-apply thermal paste with MX-4 + re-install HSF carefully now temp has gone down, like 63-64c.
Btw I use stock auto fan while tested Vantage with stock clock, idle is 33-35c.

Any video on how to properly do this on the lightning?
post #7535 of 7827
Quote:
Originally Posted by r360r View Post

Any video on how to properly do this on the lightning?

nice ...
post #7536 of 7827
Anyone experience with flashing the 680 bios to 770 and going in sli with 770 lightning ?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k z77 mpower msi n680 lightning G.Skill TridentX 16GB DDR3-2133 CL9 kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB Samsung 830 Series 128GB (basic kit) eisberg 240 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
WT-030 SC600B Type Cooling Single Water Pump (12V) windows 8 pro 64 NL Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD Philips 220E1SB 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM storm trigger cooler master hybrid 850 cm storm scout 2 cm storm sentinel 2 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sony MDR-1R Creative Sound Blaster Zx Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch razer swtor naga 
OtherOther
cooler master jetflo blue cooler master jetflo red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k z77 mpower msi n680 lightning G.Skill TridentX 16GB DDR3-2133 CL9 kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB Samsung 830 Series 128GB (basic kit) eisberg 240 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
WT-030 SC600B Type Cooling Single Water Pump (12V) windows 8 pro 64 NL Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD Philips 220E1SB 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM storm trigger cooler master hybrid 850 cm storm scout 2 cm storm sentinel 2 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Sony MDR-1R Creative Sound Blaster Zx Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch razer swtor naga 
OtherOther
cooler master jetflo blue cooler master jetflo red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7537 of 7827
Hey I'm having some issues overclocking my 680 lightning. The card has been run stock for around a year now, I'm just looking juice it up a bit for gaming (gw2 wvw, and maybe some bf4). I have a ax1200i psu, h100 cooled i7 3770K (stock), 16gbs mem,p8z77vpro mb.

I am currently using driver 327.23, version 2.3.1 msi afterburner, running heaven 4.0 basic as a benchmark and using gpu-z 0.7.3.
LN1(80.04.28.00.39) and LN2(80.04.28.00.3A) bios (never flashed)

Whats happening:
I go into msi afterburner, increase the core clock slightly , just to get 15 or 20 MHZ on the boost clock and then apply the settings . I verify changes on GPU-Z and then click run on heaven.. Before I run the benchmark test the screen will flick black for a few seconds (no artifacts or any warnings,temps are great) and then continue running heaven, with the options to run benchmark etc just like before the black screen....but it resets my clocks during this blackout, so there's no point of running the bench mark lol. Sometimes this happens 5 or so seconds into the cinematic scene , others it can take a 20 or more.

Ive tried this on both bio versions, tried increasing power limit and voltage slightly ..to see if that would stop the black out/ reset lol.. but no luck.
When I run heaven with stock clocks, this does not happen. And i can run the benchmark test without any issues.

Yeaaa lol, this is my first time overclocking so apologies if I'm all over the road, my brains fried from reading all day lol.

Hope its not a big deal, love the card and the idea of OCing it, not to obtain crazy numbers, just to improve performance while keeping stability!

Thanks for any info!thumb.gif
post #7538 of 7827
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper1 View Post

Hey I'm having some issues overclocking my 680 lightning. The card has been run stock for around a year now, I'm just looking juice it up a bit for gaming (gw2 wvw, and maybe some bf4). I have a ax1200i psu, h100 cooled i7 3770K (stock), 16gbs mem,p8z77vpro mb.

I am currently using driver 327.23, version 2.3.1 msi afterburner, running heaven 4.0 basic as a benchmark and using gpu-z 0.7.3.
LN1(80.04.28.00.39) and LN2(80.04.28.00.3A) bios (never flashed)

Whats happening:
I go into msi afterburner, increase the core clock slightly , just to get 15 or 20 MHZ on the boost clock and then apply the settings . I verify changes on GPU-Z and then click run on heaven.. Before I run the benchmark test the screen will flick black for a few seconds (no artifacts or any warnings,temps are great) and then continue running heaven, with the options to run benchmark etc just like before the black screen....but it resets my clocks during this blackout, so there's no point of running the bench mark lol. Sometimes this happens 5 or so seconds into the cinematic scene , others it can take a 20 or more.

Ive tried this on both bio versions, tried increasing power limit and voltage slightly ..to see if that would stop the black out/ reset lol.. but no luck.
When I run heaven with stock clocks, this does not happen. And i can run the benchmark test without any issues.

Yeaaa lol, this is my first time overclocking so apologies if I'm all over the road, my brains fried from reading all day lol.

Hope its not a big deal, love the card and the idea of OCing it, not to obtain crazy numbers, just to improve performance while keeping stability!

Thanks for any info!thumb.gif

This is the exact same problem that I had. My solution was to use valley instead of heaven, but I suppose I should try heaven now too. Try to flash the bios to the 80.04.28.00.3A on the first page. Despite having the same number as your LN2 bios, they are different with the one on the first page allowing more voltage and an increase of the power limit to 300%. I would try using ab 3.0.0 beta 15 (make sure to download the one that says it's for 680/770/780 lightnings on guru3d) some people have had luck with it and it works well for me. I'm also on the 340 beta nvidia drivers.
 
ThinkPad W520
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP @n MSI GTX 680 Lightning 4GB Corsair XMS3 DHXNV DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB Asus DVD-RW Zalman 9700 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC MultiSync PA271W 2560x1440 Logitech MK320 Silverstone ZM1200M Lian-Li PC-V2110 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 2720QM @ 2.2 GHz Quadro 1000M 8GB DDR3-1333 500GB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 1920x1080 Matte 15.6" 170W Brick 
CPURAMHard DriveHard Drive
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz 48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066 120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD 2 TB Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM Ubuntu Server 16.04 650W Delta PSU 1U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
 
ThinkPad W520
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Asus P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP @n MSI GTX 680 Lightning 4GB Corsair XMS3 DHXNV DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB Asus DVD-RW Zalman 9700 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC MultiSync PA271W 2560x1440 Logitech MK320 Silverstone ZM1200M Lian-Li PC-V2110 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 2720QM @ 2.2 GHz Quadro 1000M 8GB DDR3-1333 500GB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 1920x1080 Matte 15.6" 170W Brick 
CPURAMHard DriveHard Drive
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz 48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066 120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD 2 TB Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM Ubuntu Server 16.04 650W Delta PSU 1U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7539 of 7827
Heaven 4.0 is broken, don't test on that bench, that one always will say that you have an unstable OC, test in games and unigine valley.
PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7 3770K @4.5Ghz (Multiplier OC) 1... MSI Z77A-GD65 [10.10 BIOS] MSi GTX 980 GAMING + MX4 @1544mhz/1.262v; +450M... Geil Black Dragon 4x4Gb 1866Mhz [XMP] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb [AHCI] Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 10586.420 (FPP/retail key) BenQ XL2411T [Dual-Link DVI, 144Hz] AUO M24HW01... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 [green switches] Enermax Revolution 87+ 750W and APC Back-UPS 950VA Phanteks Evolv Atx Tempered Glass Black + ATX 2... Razer Mamba 2015 Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QcK Mini Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core™ i7 3770K @4.5Ghz (Multiplier OC) 1... MSI Z77A-GD65 [10.10 BIOS] MSi GTX 980 GAMING + MX4 @1544mhz/1.262v; +450M... Geil Black Dragon 4x4Gb 1866Mhz [XMP] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb [AHCI] Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 10586.420 (FPP/retail key) BenQ XL2411T [Dual-Link DVI, 144Hz] AUO M24HW01... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 [green switches] Enermax Revolution 87+ 750W and APC Back-UPS 950VA Phanteks Evolv Atx Tempered Glass Black + ATX 2... Razer Mamba 2015 Tournament Edition 
Mouse PadAudio
SteelSeries QcK Mini Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7540 of 7827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroplane View Post

This is the exact same problem that I had. My solution was to use valley instead of heaven, but I suppose I should try heaven now too. Try to flash the bios to the 80.04.28.00.3A on the first page. Despite having the same number as your LN2 bios, they are different with the one on the first page allowing more voltage and an increase of the power limit to 300%. I would try using ab 3.0.0 beta 15 (make sure to download the one that says it's for 680/770/780 lightnings on guru3d) some people have had luck with it and it works well for me. I'm also on the 340 beta nvidia drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalinTM View Post

Heaven 4.0 is broken, don't test on that bench, that one always will say that you have an unstable OC, test in games and unigine valley.

Hey guys thanks for the reply... Yeah sometime late in the am I gave up on Heaven and just bought 3dmark 11. I was able to pass with this score on the full 3dMark11 test:


If I would increase the core clock past 1136MHZ I would have a power % spike of like 200% and the program would temporarily black out and the reset would happen , followed by the program continuation lol. Seems like 1136MHZ is low for a crash, i was hoping i could get a small OC without hitting voltages etc and just adjust core and mem...This was all done on the LN1 bios.

Thanks for the info! Ill try to flash my LN2 bios and get the suggested version of MSI AB. Oh and got rid of heaven and downloaded valley! Ill be back with my findings lol.
Cheers

Edit:
Actually before I go at this again I should find out some info lol..
Do people just crank the power limit up to max (300% ) and leave it, or is that a factor you need to fine tune like the core clock and mem? If your increasing power limit should you add some core voltage too?

For stability I'm just watching for artifacts, power spikes and that my temps stay below 70, currently they are at 60 while the tests are running, do you guys make your own fan curve or just let it auto adjust... Any other tips lol?

I'm a bit OCD so its hard for me to just grab info on OC procedures with other cards and just apply the techniques to this card lol, and the closest to a guide ive found is the http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

Thanks again for any info!
Cheers
Edited by caper1 - 10/20/13 at 7:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] MSI GTX 680 Lightning Owners Club