Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Two water-loop designs for my first build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Two water-loop designs for my first build - Page 3

post #21 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_TDI_02 View Post

No definitely don't go with EK coolant... All you need is distilled water and a silver kill coil.

I saw someone stated that a silver kill coil causes galvanic corrosion? Is that possible?

On a different note, here's the T-line connector I'm going to use:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10382/ex-tub-622/Bitspower_G14_Matte_Black_T_Adapter_BP-MBTMB.html?tl=g30c499s745

245
Edited by aln688 - 7/12/12 at 8:37pm
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aln688 View Post

I saw someone stated that a silver kill coil causes galvanic corrosion? Is that possible?
On a different note, here's the T-line connector I'm going to use:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10382/ex-tub-622/Bitspower_G14_Matte_Black_T_Adapter_BP-MBTMB.html?tl=g30c499s745
245

source? I would say 75% of our water cooling community is on the kill coil bandwagon with ZERO galvanizing occurring.
[GENERIC]
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 EVGA CLASSIFIED EVGA 670 4GB SLI 6 GB Corsair 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD 640GB Caviar Black 2x Intel X25M 160gb Feser 360 + Aquacomputer Airplex Revolution Windows 7 Professional 64bit 3x U2311h 2D Surround 
PowerCaseAudio
Enermax EVO Galaxy Dimastech EasyBench Xonar 
  hide details  
Reply
[GENERIC]
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 EVGA CLASSIFIED EVGA 670 4GB SLI 6 GB Corsair 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
WD 640GB Caviar Black 2x Intel X25M 160gb Feser 360 + Aquacomputer Airplex Revolution Windows 7 Professional 64bit 3x U2311h 2D Surround 
PowerCaseAudio
Enermax EVO Galaxy Dimastech EasyBench Xonar 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aln688 View Post

I saw someone stated that a silver kill coil causes galvanic corrosion? Is that possible?

That was due to EK. A few years ago EK started having problems with their nickel plated blocks. The nickel plating was flaking off at an incredible rate and there was a huge backlash against EK. This issue with nickel plating only extended to EK blocks and other XSPC blocks and such worked perfectly fine without any flaking. As a result it's pretty obvious that EK's manufacturing was not working correctly. After that EK put out a new policy that gave all EK block owners the ability to ship their blocks back to EK and replace them with copper ones. The only issue was that you had to pay to send your deffective blocks to in at your own cost. They then put a new line of blocks with "electroless" nickel plating and jacked the price up an extra $10. After all of that they started doing a study to figure out what was causing the problem. Most people run distilled water with either a silver kill coil or PT-Nuke (copper sulphate based biocide) EK tested set ups with these as well as some of their coolants. Supposedly the silver kill coils and PT-nuke was causing the flaking in the EK blocks. This is strange because it wasn't happening with any other blocks from other companies that were also nickel plated. SO in conclusion this is a very brief overview of what happened.
Blue Steel
(18 items)
 
HTPC
(12 items)
 
Macbook
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 MSI P55-GD80 Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 1600 CAS 7 4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung F3 1tb Samsung 830 64Gb Lite-On Blu-Ray Player Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Acer S231HLBID 23" Asus VW193DR 19"  Razer BlackWidow 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rocketfish 900W HAF 912 Logitech M500 Asus Xonar DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 Asus P7P55D-E Pro XFX 5570 Corsair XMS3 2x1gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 640Gb HP DVD1260 Cooler Master GeminII S524 Windows 7 Enterprise x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Vizio 32" 1080 Corsair 650TX Silverstone LC13B-E Droid X2 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo GMA X3100 4GB DDR2 667 MHz 120 GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorCase
MATSHITADVD-R UJ-867 Mac OS X 13 Macbook 
Mouse
Microsoft Arc 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Steel
(18 items)
 
HTPC
(12 items)
 
Macbook
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 MSI P55-GD80 Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 1600 CAS 7 4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung F3 1tb Samsung 830 64Gb Lite-On Blu-Ray Player Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Acer S231HLBID 23" Asus VW193DR 19"  Razer BlackWidow 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rocketfish 900W HAF 912 Logitech M500 Asus Xonar DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 Asus P7P55D-E Pro XFX 5570 Corsair XMS3 2x1gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 640Gb HP DVD1260 Cooler Master GeminII S524 Windows 7 Enterprise x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Vizio 32" 1080 Corsair 650TX Silverstone LC13B-E Droid X2 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo GMA X3100 4GB DDR2 667 MHz 120 GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorCase
MATSHITADVD-R UJ-867 Mac OS X 13 Macbook 
Mouse
Microsoft Arc 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrardo View Post

source? I would say 75% of our water cooling community is on the kill coil bandwagon with ZERO galvanizing occurring.

A post on here...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1275411/new-to-water-cooling/0_50#post_17582878

"All your parts together won't cause any galvanic corrosion (however using a silver kill coil will)..."
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aln688 View Post

A post on here...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1275411/new-to-water-cooling/0_50#post_17582878
"All your parts together won't cause any galvanic corrosion (however using a silver kill coil will)..."

I would love to see what his source is for that. Silver kill coil causes corrosion while PT-Nuke does not. lol. I'll believe that when I see some proof. Not to mention all of the XSPC Rasa kits come with silver kill coils. If that were true they would have stopped that a while ago.
Blue Steel
(18 items)
 
HTPC
(12 items)
 
Macbook
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 MSI P55-GD80 Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 1600 CAS 7 4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung F3 1tb Samsung 830 64Gb Lite-On Blu-Ray Player Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Acer S231HLBID 23" Asus VW193DR 19"  Razer BlackWidow 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rocketfish 900W HAF 912 Logitech M500 Asus Xonar DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 Asus P7P55D-E Pro XFX 5570 Corsair XMS3 2x1gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 640Gb HP DVD1260 Cooler Master GeminII S524 Windows 7 Enterprise x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Vizio 32" 1080 Corsair 650TX Silverstone LC13B-E Droid X2 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo GMA X3100 4GB DDR2 667 MHz 120 GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorCase
MATSHITADVD-R UJ-867 Mac OS X 13 Macbook 
Mouse
Microsoft Arc 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Steel
(18 items)
 
HTPC
(12 items)
 
Macbook
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 MSI P55-GD80 Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 1600 CAS 7 4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung F3 1tb Samsung 830 64Gb Lite-On Blu-Ray Player Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Acer S231HLBID 23" Asus VW193DR 19"  Razer BlackWidow 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rocketfish 900W HAF 912 Logitech M500 Asus Xonar DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 Asus P7P55D-E Pro XFX 5570 Corsair XMS3 2x1gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 640Gb HP DVD1260 Cooler Master GeminII S524 Windows 7 Enterprise x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Vizio 32" 1080 Corsair 650TX Silverstone LC13B-E Droid X2 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo GMA X3100 4GB DDR2 667 MHz 120 GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorCase
MATSHITADVD-R UJ-867 Mac OS X 13 Macbook 
Mouse
Microsoft Arc 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_TDI_02 View Post

That was due to EK. A few years ago EK started having problems with their nickel plated blocks. The nickel plating was flaking off at an incredible rate and there was a huge backlash against EK. This issue with nickel plating only extended to EK blocks and other XSPC blocks and such worked perfectly fine without any flaking. As a result it's pretty obvious that EK's manufacturing was not working correctly. After that EK put out a new policy that gave all EK block owners the ability to ship their blocks back to EK and replace them with copper ones. The only issue was that you had to pay to send your deffective blocks to in at your own cost. They then put a new line of blocks with "electroless" nickel plating and jacked the price up an extra $10. After all of that they started doing a study to figure out what was causing the problem. Most people run distilled water with either a silver kill coil or PT-Nuke (copper sulphate based biocide) EK tested set ups with these as well as some of their coolants. Supposedly the silver kill coils and PT-nuke was causing the flaking in the EK blocks. This is strange because it wasn't happening with any other blocks from other companies that were also nickel plated. SO in conclusion this is a very brief overview of what happened.

You're right, I never saw the same complaint for XSPC blocks, although were any of those nickel plated like EK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_TDI_02 View Post

I would love to see what his source is for that. Silver kill coil causes corrosion while PT-Nuke does not. lol. I'll believe that when I see some proof. Not to mention all of the XSPC Rasa kits come with silver kill coils. If that were true they would have stopped that a while ago.

You're right, the Rasa kits do come with coils. In my setup, where would I put the silver coil, in the bay-res?
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aln688 View Post

You're right, I never saw the same complaint for XSPC blocks, although were any of those nickel plated like EK?
You're right, the Rasa kits do come with coils. In my setup, where would I put the silver coil, in the bay-res?

You can pretty much put it anywhere. The bay res should be just fine.
Blue Steel
(18 items)
 
HTPC
(12 items)
 
Macbook
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 MSI P55-GD80 Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 1600 CAS 7 4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung F3 1tb Samsung 830 64Gb Lite-On Blu-Ray Player Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Acer S231HLBID 23" Asus VW193DR 19"  Razer BlackWidow 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rocketfish 900W HAF 912 Logitech M500 Asus Xonar DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 Asus P7P55D-E Pro XFX 5570 Corsair XMS3 2x1gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 640Gb HP DVD1260 Cooler Master GeminII S524 Windows 7 Enterprise x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Vizio 32" 1080 Corsair 650TX Silverstone LC13B-E Droid X2 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo GMA X3100 4GB DDR2 667 MHz 120 GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorCase
MATSHITADVD-R UJ-867 Mac OS X 13 Macbook 
Mouse
Microsoft Arc 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue Steel
(18 items)
 
HTPC
(12 items)
 
Macbook
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 MSI P55-GD80 Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1gb Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 1600 CAS 7 4gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung F3 1tb Samsung 830 64Gb Lite-On Blu-Ray Player Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Acer S231HLBID 23" Asus VW193DR 19"  Razer BlackWidow 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Rocketfish 900W HAF 912 Logitech M500 Asus Xonar DG 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 760 Asus P7P55D-E Pro XFX 5570 Corsair XMS3 2x1gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 640Gb HP DVD1260 Cooler Master GeminII S524 Windows 7 Enterprise x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Vizio 32" 1080 Corsair 650TX Silverstone LC13B-E Droid X2 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo GMA X3100 4GB DDR2 667 MHz 120 GB 
Optical DriveOSMonitorCase
MATSHITADVD-R UJ-867 Mac OS X 13 Macbook 
Mouse
Microsoft Arc 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 44
Silver can cause galvanic corrosion, but since the manufacturers don't tell you the exact alloys or plating process used for things; you cannot know if it will be an issue or not.

It takes just under 300mv to start and maintain galvanic corrosion in distilled water, so if you happen to know the exact metals you have, then you can figure it out on your own.
post #29 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocutor View Post

Silver can cause galvanic corrosion, but since the manufacturers don't tell you the exact alloys or plating process used for things; you cannot know if it will be an issue or not.
It takes just under 300mv to start and maintain galvanic corrosion in distilled water, so if you happen to know the exact metals you have, then you can figure it out on your own.

Interesting, thanks.

The CPU block is acetal/copper.
The radiator (EX240) is a copper & brass core.
Silver kill coil will be in the bay-res.
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.6 GHz ASUS Rampage IV Gene mATX EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4 x Corsair Platinum 2133 MHz 8GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung USB Bluray burner Corsair H100i Windows 7 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eizo Nanao S2100 21" Steelseries 6GV2 Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX 
MouseAudioOther
Razer Deathadder Creative X-Fi Titanium HD LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i 6Gbp/s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aln688 View Post

Interesting, thanks.
The CPU block is acetal/copper.
The radiator (EX240) is a copper & brass core.
Silver kill coil will be in the bay-res.

I'm pretty sure the kill coils are pure silver because anything less starts messing with how it acts as a biocide, but the rest of those you don't know their exact makeup. What's more, you're forgetting other things like what is your radiator solder makeup; or if you have a D5 or certain reservoirs or water blocks, there is stainless steel there as well. What are your fittings made from? In the end, it is easier to just use trial and error (within reason) and then add a corrosion inhibitor if you need one. Even Nuke PHN slightly inhibits corrosion (maybe to 325 or 350mv? I've not seen any specific tests).

Since these components are designed for water cooling, you can expect that as long as you use your head, you should be ok. You're likely not going to be able to find out what any of the manufacturers actually use for their materials because sometimes doing so might prove that they are using a faulty plating process or a cheap alloy. The moral of the story is that you _might_ have some corrosion issues, but if you try to match your metals well you really shouldn't have a problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Two water-loop designs for my first build