Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD release HD 7970 Ghz bios upgrade for Reference HD 7970 !!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD release HD 7970 Ghz bios upgrade for Reference HD 7970 !!

post #1 of 390
Thread Starter 
You can flash your standard HD 7970 to a GHZ Edition card, this gives you higher stock clocks, turbo mode to 1050Mhz and lower voltages meaning less power use. Thankyou AMD thumb.gif.

I have flashed my reference Powercolor HD 7970 and my non reference HIS Blue PCB HD 7970, both are working fine with the new bios. 1050/1500. Using lower voltages aswell smile.gif.

599

Use this link for more info http://legitreviews.com/news/13622/, flashing is easy, you do it windows and then re boot, might be an idea to back up your old bios first, dual bios switch makes this so easy and safe anyways.

( If you want use this bios, you need use the 12.7beta driver for get PTE and TurboBoost enabled ( as it contain the software algorythm needed )


Update from pioneerisloud:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post


Try mine. Make sure you use the DOS based flash utility. Only use this one if the above method fails for you. It seems to have worked for many many users, and they get unlocked voltage as well.

GHz BIOS.zip 41k .zip file
post #2 of 390
mmm, whats the point, really.
post #3 of 390
Thread Starter 
Higher stock clocks, GTX 680 equal or better performance, lower voltages meaning uses less power than previous bios, pretty damn good for a free upgrade imho.
post #4 of 390
You sure it comes with Turbo? I thought that was hardware specific feature.
Windified
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770K ASUS Maximus V Gene  XFX Radeon HD 7970 Double Dissipation Ghz Edition G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 kit 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB Optiarc AD-7280S Black Eizo Foris FS2333 Black XFX Pro 450W Core Edition  
Case
In Win Griffin 
  hide details  
Reply
Windified
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 3770K ASUS Maximus V Gene  XFX Radeon HD 7970 Double Dissipation Ghz Edition G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 kit 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB Optiarc AD-7280S Black Eizo Foris FS2333 Black XFX Pro 450W Core Edition  
Case
In Win Griffin 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick777 View Post

Higher stock clocks, GTX 680 equal or better performance, lower voltages meaning uses less power than previous bios, pretty damn good for a free upgrade imho.

Of course you can just adjust the clocks yourself and the turbo thing is just bleh.

However, can the new bios actually affect the volts your card needs for stability at certain clocks or will this bios set the volts lower regardless of it being stable or not?
post #6 of 390
Thread Starter 
Why adjust it yourself when you have it @ stock and not need software? This was very useful for me as my memory wouldn't clock past 1475Mhz on my old bios's now I can reach 1600mhz+ !!

Not sure about the turbo, maybe the 1050 is a fixed clock on ref 7970's, im not sure becausce my 7970's are Kuhler modded thus would run at full turbo speed anyway due to low temps, I can't see it move if you get what I mean.

Im well pleased with my cards 1050/1500 is ideal for stock clocks, I don't need to worry about Afterburner or CCC overclocking anymore, lower voltages is awesome aswell.

Getting 15,000 3D Marks @ stock speed http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3870113
post #7 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick777 View Post

Why adjust it yourself when you have it @ stock and not need software? This was very useful for me as my memory wouldn't clock past 1475Mhz on my old bios's now I can reach 1600mhz+ !!
Not sure about the turbo, maybe the 1050 is a fixed clock on ref 7970's, im not sure becausce my 7970's are Kuhler modded thus would run at full turbo speed anyway due to low temps, I can't see it move if you get what I mean.
Im well pleased with my cards 1050/1500 is ideal for stock clocks, I don't need to worry about Afterburner or CCC overclocking anymore, lower voltages is awesome aswell.
Getting 15,000 3D Marks @ stock speed http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3870113


Is it possible a new bios can make your memory run higher? If volts are lower how can you oc higher? I'm confused.

I might flash if the new bios makes the card use lower volts clock for clock. I am pretty sure my cards hit a brick wall of instability not because of the high clocks but the power limiters on the card.

Less juice could potentially increase my max oc.
Edited by Newbie2009 - 7/13/12 at 2:41am
post #8 of 390
Thread Starter 
Im guessing modified timings, AMD have had time to perfect the bios to pull better performance and use lower volts with the 7970's, in the same vein as Nvidia was able to bring more performance from the GTX 660/670 and thus upgrade the bios change the sticker and call it the GTX 680 biggrin.gif.

This bios is a nice upgrade for reference HD 7970's, if you don't wanna use it don't use it. I much prefer having the higher stock clocks and lower volts personally though.
post #9 of 390
Read this on Guru forums:
Quote:
If you want use this bios, you need use the 12.7beta driver for get PTE and TurboBoost enabled ( as it contain the software algorythm needed )
post #10 of 390
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

Read this on Guru forums:
Quote:
If you want use this bios, you need use the 12.7beta driver for get PTE and TurboBoost enabled ( as it contain the software algorythm needed )

Good to know, im already on the 12.7 beta, will add this to the OP, cheers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD release HD 7970 Ghz bios upgrade for Reference HD 7970 !!