Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Picture Quality Question: Analogue-to-Digital vs Digital
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Picture Quality Question: Analogue-to-Digital vs Digital

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I've always been lead to believe analogue pictures are superior to digital, so I was wondering what would be better:

 

  1. A picture taken with a Nikon F6 (I'm assuming it'd be the best SLR camera due to being the only one I can find to still be manufactured) then scanning the 35mm photo slides with a scanner such as the HP Scanjet G4050

  2. Taking the picture with a dSLR

 

Please correct me wherever I may be wrong, it's why I'm asking the question tongue.gif

    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 18
What is the intended way for the photos to be presented? Such as sharing online or prints
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 18
depends on a ton of other things. pure IQ wise, i'd say the film slr because you can scan them at ridiculous DPI and the color tones will be a lot smoother vs digital.

then digital has the brute force advantage of speed in capture, feedback, workflow and acceptable iso sensitivity (film pushing aside).
Green Lantern
(18 items)
 
 
The Router 3.0
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 3.8GHz 1.25v HT Asus P6T XFX 5870 XFX 5780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX Intel X25-M 80GB G2 10Tb iSCSI Lite-On 1635S 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Asus PA246 Logitech G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 1000HX Lian Li v1000+ Logitech G5 v1 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
Other
Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5335 Intel Xeon L5335 Intel 5000P ATI ES1000 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
Elpida ECC WD20NPVT SmartOS HP 350W + Hot Spare 
Case
HP Proliant 380 G5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ nForce 3 250 2 GB 512MB CF To IDE 
OSCaseOtherOther
pfSense 2.0.1 x64 Shuttle XPC Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server A... Verizon FiOS 75/35Mbit 
  hide details  
Reply
Green Lantern
(18 items)
 
 
The Router 3.0
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 3.8GHz 1.25v HT Asus P6T XFX 5870 XFX 5780 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Kingston HyperX Intel X25-M 80GB G2 10Tb iSCSI Lite-On 1635S 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H50 Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Asus PA246 Logitech G15 v1 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair 1000HX Lian Li v1000+ Logitech G5 v1 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
Other
Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel Xeon L5335 Intel Xeon L5335 Intel 5000P ATI ES1000 
RAMHard DriveOSPower
Elpida ECC WD20NPVT SmartOS HP 350W + Hot Spare 
Case
HP Proliant 380 G5 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ nForce 3 250 2 GB 512MB CF To IDE 
OSCaseOtherOther
pfSense 2.0.1 x64 Shuttle XPC Intel PWLA8492MT PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server A... Verizon FiOS 75/35Mbit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post

What is the intended way for the photos to be presented? Such as sharing online or prints

 

Well they'd be stored on a computer and then in the future printed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Killer View Post

depends on a ton of other things. pure IQ wise, i'd say the film slr because you can scan them at ridiculous DPI and the color tones will be a lot smoother vs digital.

then digital has the brute force advantage of speed in capture, feedback, workflow and acceptable iso sensitivity (film pushing aside).

 

So just speaking from a quality POV, film is better?

    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-4650U Intel HD Graphics 5000 Samsung 8GB DDR3 Samsung 512GB SSD 
OS
Macintosh OS X "Yosemite" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlex View Post

Well they'd be stored on a computer and then in the future printed.


So just speaking from a quality POV, film is better?

film is better if u have a film scanner, have the shots exposed properly and develop properly.
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
Dell XPS15
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2630QM XPS L502 Geforce GT525M 1GB 6gb 
Hard DriveOS
640GB 7200RPM Windows 7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 18
Resolution? Obviously digital. Look of files? Obviously analog.
post #7 of 18
Given the same lens and film, the F6 would produce the same quality output as an N50. Film bodies are just holders for glass and film, unlike digital bodies which have a fixed sensor.

That being said, I don't normally compare quality between analog and digital, but I do appreciate the film aesthetic, physical archives, accurate colors and larger formats. If you want to shoot film, do it -- the entry cost, especially in 35mm, is nominal compared to any digital offering.
post #8 of 18
Body doesn't matter for IQ with film unless it's completely rubbish. Anyways, digital will be superior IQ wise since 35mm on a flatbed is nowhere near sharp. You're pairing a tiny format with a scanner that has fixed focus. Going higher end with the flatbed scanner slightly improves it but will never cause it to match digital.

Now if you go the route with higher end scan methods like drum scanning or Hasselblads Flextights then film will be better in some ways, especially when you go with any of the larger formats since digital is barely touching upon it (largest sensor available for consumers is 645 which is pretty meh).
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Body doesn't matter for IQ with film unless it's completely rubbish. Anyways, digital will be superior IQ wise since 35mm on a flatbed is nowhere near sharp. You're pairing a tiny format with a scanner that has fixed focus. Going higher end with the flatbed scanner slightly improves it but will never cause it to match digital.
Now if you go the route with higher end scan methods like drum scanning or Hasselblads Flextights then film will be better in some ways, especially when you go with any of the larger formats since digital is barely touching upon it (largest sensor available for consumers is 645 which is pretty meh).

I am a strong proponent of digital as well but I have to disagree as far as IQ goes, certainly 35mm on a bad flatbed will produce bad results, but then so would a digital barbie camera. Going to a higher end flatbed (such as an Epson V700) does not slightly improve the quality, it makes it on par with professional DSLRs, this is with all things considered such as exposure/developing correctly/etc. I had 35mm film blown up to fifty inches that blew a lot of fellow students digital work away. The issue is that there are a lot more variables going from image taken to finished print if you go analog-digital including scanning technique, damaged negatives, even just non-flat negatives can cause headaches.

Digital certainly has a far easier (and often times less expensive) workflow, but I'd say the IQ is about equal or better with film.

and I second getting whatever body you want, doesn't matter too much unless you're shooting sports and need a motor. If not, spend the good money on great manual focus lenses nikon has to offer biggrin.gif as well as film dev costs


EDIT: can't spell, need soda
m1
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac nVidia 1080 GTX Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB Noctua NH-U9S Windows 10 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky One Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 
  hide details  
Reply
m1
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac nVidia 1080 GTX Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB Noctua NH-U9S Windows 10 Dell S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCase
Ducky One Corsair SF600 NCASE M1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainchair View Post

I am a strong proponent of digital as well but I have to disagree as far as IQ goes, certainly 35mm on a bad flatbed will produce bad results, but then so would a digital barbie camera. Going to a higher end flatbed (such as an Epson V700) does not slightly improve the quality, it makes it on par with professional DSLRs, this is with all things considered such as exposure/developing correctly/etc. I had 35mm film blown up to fifty inches that blew a lot of fellow students digital work away. The issue is that there are a lot more variables going from image taken to finished print if you go analog-digital including scanning technique, damaged negatives, even just non-flat negatives can cause headaches.
Digital certainly has a far easier (and often times less expensive) workflow, but I'd say the IQ is about equal or better with film.
and I second getting whatever body you want, doesn't matter too much unless you're shooting sports and need a motor. If not, spend the good money on great manual focus lenses nikon has to offer biggrin.gif as well as film dev costs
EDIT: can't spell, need soda

And I disagree with that. I have an Epson V700 and 35mm on it is a joke. Sure it's completely fine to use online but when it comes down to actual prints it can't compare to digital in IQ. While MF and LF do improve on it that doesn't change the fact that's it's a flatbed and you're losing a vast amount of IQ in comparison to wet printing. The Flextights are way better due to the fact that they can actually focus on the film and drum scanning is still top tier since you're wet mounting it.
Edited by Marin - 7/14/12 at 5:59pm
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K MSI X99A SLI PLUS EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Noctua NH-D15 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Happy Hacking Keyboard 2  EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Corsair 600Q 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G403 Steelseries QcK Mass M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 3.7 HT Gigabyte X58A-UD3R VisionTek 4870x2 3x4GB's G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB AAKS, 2x 640GB AAKS, 2x 1TB Samsung SH-S203B Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung 245BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Happy Hacking Keyboard 2 Silverstone OP850 Antec 1200 [Three Nanoxia FX12] [Two San Ace 1011] Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Razer eXactMat 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3615QM GT 650M 16GB DDR3 256GB SSD 
OS
OS X Mountain Lion 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Picture Quality Question: Analogue-to-Digital vs Digital