Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Quick kit questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quick kit questions - Page 2

post #11 of 28
Thanks, Post up the full order before you pull the trigger.
Andr3w's RiG
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0 (HT off) ASUS P6TD Deluxe EVGA GTX 580 SC 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2x RAID0 OCZ VERTEX2 SSD 60GB EK FC580GTX EK Supreme HF Laing D5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit / Fedora 16 / Mint 13 DELL S2209W Ducky 9008S MX RED with white LED CORSAIR AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Antec 1200 Microsoft X8 Steelseries QcK Pro Creative XFi 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
Andr3w's RiG
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0 (HT off) ASUS P6TD Deluxe EVGA GTX 580 SC 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2x RAID0 OCZ VERTEX2 SSD 60GB EK FC580GTX EK Supreme HF Laing D5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit / Fedora 16 / Mint 13 DELL S2209W Ducky 9008S MX RED with white LED CORSAIR AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Antec 1200 Microsoft X8 Steelseries QcK Pro Creative XFi 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 


Final selection. I think I've got it all down now! biggrin.gif. Instead of a coolant, I'm going to use just regular distilled water.
Pure Elegance
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K [4.5Ghz @ 1.32v] Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Radeon HD 7970 (Direct CUII) Corsair Dominator-GT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black (1TB) + OCZ Vertex 3 (60GB) + O... EK Supremacy XSPC RX360 XSPC Dual Bay Res w/ Swiftech MCP655 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Direct CUII 7970 (Acetal + Copper) Windows 8 Pro 3 x Asus PA238Q (Eyefinity) Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum 860w Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Mamba 2012 Steel Series QCK+ / Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudioOther
ASUS Xonar Phoebus Corsair SP 2500 Astro A40 Phobya FanMax 6 Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
Pure Elegance
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K [4.5Ghz @ 1.32v] Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Radeon HD 7970 (Direct CUII) Corsair Dominator-GT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black (1TB) + OCZ Vertex 3 (60GB) + O... EK Supremacy XSPC RX360 XSPC Dual Bay Res w/ Swiftech MCP655 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Direct CUII 7970 (Acetal + Copper) Windows 8 Pro 3 x Asus PA238Q (Eyefinity) Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum 860w Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Mamba 2012 Steel Series QCK+ / Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudioOther
ASUS Xonar Phoebus Corsair SP 2500 Astro A40 Phobya FanMax 6 Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 28
A word of advice, stay away from EK nickel plated blocks, get copper instead and you'll save yourself a big headache! EK has been having problems with their nickel plating for a year now and their still having problems with the nickel plating falling off!
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Delidded i7 3770K @4.5GHz Asus Maximus V Extreme EVGA GeForce GTX 480 Corsair Dominator GT 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 256GB Asus DVD Burner DRW-1814BLT Custom Water Cooling Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC 19" MultiSync 1970GX Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Seasonic X-1250 Power Supply Case Labs STH10 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9 FUNC ID. 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Delidded i7 3770K @4.5GHz Asus Maximus V Extreme EVGA GeForce GTX 480 Corsair Dominator GT 8GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 256GB Asus DVD Burner DRW-1814BLT Custom Water Cooling Loop Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC 19" MultiSync 1970GX Logitech Illuminated Keyboard Seasonic X-1250 Power Supply Case Labs STH10 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G9 FUNC ID. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemlord View Post

A word of advice, stay away from EK nickel plated blocks, get copper instead and you'll save yourself a big headache! EK has been having problems with their nickel plating for a year now and their still having problems with the nickel plating falling off!

I thought EK had that issue sorted now, although there has been a few isolated incidents. When I got my blocked I went for copper, because almost all nickel blocks were failing.

A couple of things to add to the list.

Danger Den Premium Tube Cutter
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13413/ex-tub-908/Danger_Den_Premium_Tube_Cutter_-_Designed_For_34_OD_Tubing_Max.html#blank

XSPC filler cap converter. - converts port to g1/4 so you can add a temporary fill line. This will make draining much easier.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12693/ex-tub-813/XSPC_Reservoir_Fillcap_to_G14_Adapter_M20_x_15mm_to_G14.html?tl=g30c97s169#blank
Edited by andrewmchugh - 7/20/12 at 1:28am
Andr3w's RiG
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0 (HT off) ASUS P6TD Deluxe EVGA GTX 580 SC 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2x RAID0 OCZ VERTEX2 SSD 60GB EK FC580GTX EK Supreme HF Laing D5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit / Fedora 16 / Mint 13 DELL S2209W Ducky 9008S MX RED with white LED CORSAIR AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Antec 1200 Microsoft X8 Steelseries QcK Pro Creative XFi 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
Andr3w's RiG
(16 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0 (HT off) ASUS P6TD Deluxe EVGA GTX 580 SC 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2x RAID0 OCZ VERTEX2 SSD 60GB EK FC580GTX EK Supreme HF Laing D5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit / Fedora 16 / Mint 13 DELL S2209W Ducky 9008S MX RED with white LED CORSAIR AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Antec 1200 Microsoft X8 Steelseries QcK Pro Creative XFi 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 @ 2.6  GT650 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM 256GB SSD 
OSMonitorKeyboard
Mac OSX Lion Retina Display US layout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemlord View Post

A word of advice, stay away from EK nickel plated blocks, get copper instead and you'll save yourself a big headache! EK has been having problems with their nickel plating for a year now and their still having problems with the nickel plating falling off!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh View Post

I thought EK had that issue sorted now, although there has been a few isolated incidents. When I got my blocked I went for copper, because almost all nickel blocks were failing.

This is what I thought too. I follow an Australian computer builder by the name of Singularity Computers and he uses EK in all of his builds with the EN+ Nickel and hasn't had a problem with them. He uses them a lot. I love the look versus copper.

I think I might just get it anyway, knowing the nickel might fail and I might have to RMA. I can always swap my H100 back in and run integrated graphics for a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh View Post

A couple of things to add to the list.
Danger Den Premium Tube Cutter
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13413/ex-tub-908/Danger_Den_Premium_Tube_Cutter_-_Designed_For_34_OD_Tubing_Max.html#blank
XSPC filler cap converter. - converts port to g1/4 so you can add a temporary fill line. This will make draining much easier.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12693/ex-tub-813/XSPC_Reservoir_Fillcap_to_G14_Adapter_M20_x_15mm_to_G14.html?tl=g30c97s169#blank

With the filler cap, will I have to add an extra set of tubing and where exactly does it go? On the back...? I know it goes in that bay res, I just can't envision where to plug that thing in.
Pure Elegance
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K [4.5Ghz @ 1.32v] Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Radeon HD 7970 (Direct CUII) Corsair Dominator-GT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black (1TB) + OCZ Vertex 3 (60GB) + O... EK Supremacy XSPC RX360 XSPC Dual Bay Res w/ Swiftech MCP655 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Direct CUII 7970 (Acetal + Copper) Windows 8 Pro 3 x Asus PA238Q (Eyefinity) Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum 860w Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Mamba 2012 Steel Series QCK+ / Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudioOther
ASUS Xonar Phoebus Corsair SP 2500 Astro A40 Phobya FanMax 6 Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
Pure Elegance
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K [4.5Ghz @ 1.32v] Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Radeon HD 7970 (Direct CUII) Corsair Dominator-GT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black (1TB) + OCZ Vertex 3 (60GB) + O... EK Supremacy XSPC RX360 XSPC Dual Bay Res w/ Swiftech MCP655 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Direct CUII 7970 (Acetal + Copper) Windows 8 Pro 3 x Asus PA238Q (Eyefinity) Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum 860w Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Mamba 2012 Steel Series QCK+ / Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudioOther
ASUS Xonar Phoebus Corsair SP 2500 Astro A40 Phobya FanMax 6 Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codycjd View Post

This is what I thought too. I follow an Australian computer builder by the name of Singularity Computers and he uses EK in all of his builds with the EN+ Nickel and hasn't had a problem with them. He uses them a lot. I love the look versus copper.
I think I might just get it anyway, knowing the nickel might fail and I might have to RMA. I can always swap my H100 back in and run integrated graphics for a bit.
With the filler cap, will I have to add an extra set of tubing and where exactly does it go? On the back...? I know it goes in that bay res, I just can't envision where to plug that thing in.

If the nickel fails, you can't RMA. They won't accept it, they'll just tell you that you had something in your loop you weren't supposed to use.

Primochill tubing has some hideous plasticizer problems right now, and some signs are pointing towards silver kill coils making it even worse. Try durelene and some mayhem dyes. Durelene is proving to stay clean in a properly set up loop and mayhem is mayhem, awesome all around.

Some things to note:

Not all dyes work with an XSPC dual bay resevoir. The way the pump is situated inside can cause some dyes to separate.

If you stick with the XSPC resevoir with pump, the XSPC kits are pretty cheap, and the raystorm CPU block is one of the best performers out there, while the EK supremacy is highly restrictive.

If you put distilled water in any EK product, your warranty is voided.

Oh, and you've got two pumps in that last shopping list. Why?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

If the nickel fails, you can't RMA. They won't accept it, they'll just tell you that you had something in your loop you weren't supposed to use.
If you put distilled water in any EK product, your warranty is voided.

What are you allowed to put in the EK blocks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Primochill tubing has some hideous plasticizer problems right now, and some signs are pointing towards silver kill coils making it even worse. Try durelene and some mayhem dyes. Durelene is proving to stay clean in a properly set up loop and mayhem is mayhem, awesome all around.

I'm thinking about going with either that primochill tubing or tygon with the red mayhem dye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Some things to note:
Not all dyes work with an XSPC dual bay resevoir. The way the pump is situated inside can cause some dyes to separate.
If you stick with the XSPC resevoir with pump, the XSPC kits are pretty cheap, and the raystorm CPU block is one of the best performers out there, while the EK supremacy is highly restrictive.

That's why I decided to go with the MCP655. It has a very high GPH and it really highly rated. It also has that clear plexi piece on the front of the block for that added visual effect with the coolant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Oh, and you've got two pumps in that last shopping list. Why?

I didn't think that the res came with the MCP655 since the pump itself is 100$ and the pump+res shouldn't equal 56$~?
Pure Elegance
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K [4.5Ghz @ 1.32v] Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Radeon HD 7970 (Direct CUII) Corsair Dominator-GT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black (1TB) + OCZ Vertex 3 (60GB) + O... EK Supremacy XSPC RX360 XSPC Dual Bay Res w/ Swiftech MCP655 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Direct CUII 7970 (Acetal + Copper) Windows 8 Pro 3 x Asus PA238Q (Eyefinity) Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum 860w Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Mamba 2012 Steel Series QCK+ / Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudioOther
ASUS Xonar Phoebus Corsair SP 2500 Astro A40 Phobya FanMax 6 Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
Pure Elegance
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K [4.5Ghz @ 1.32v] Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Radeon HD 7970 (Direct CUII) Corsair Dominator-GT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black (1TB) + OCZ Vertex 3 (60GB) + O... EK Supremacy XSPC RX360 XSPC Dual Bay Res w/ Swiftech MCP655 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Direct CUII 7970 (Acetal + Copper) Windows 8 Pro 3 x Asus PA238Q (Eyefinity) Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum 860w Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Mamba 2012 Steel Series QCK+ / Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudioOther
ASUS Xonar Phoebus Corsair SP 2500 Astro A40 Phobya FanMax 6 Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codycjd View Post

What are you allowed to put in the EK blocks?
I'm thinking about going with either that primochill tubing or tygon with the red mayhem dye.
That's why I decided to go with the MCP655. It has a very high GPH and it really highly rated. It also has that clear plexi piece on the front of the block for that added visual effect with the coolant.
I didn't think that the res came with the MCP655 since the pump itself is 100$ and the pump+res shouldn't equal 56$~?

Well, I'd say your best bet is just use their coolants. That way they can't b**** and complain about you using some other brand coolant and if something goes wrong it's your fault and what not. Using theirs the blame is solely on them and that way you are guaranteed to keep your warranty on nickel blocks as you only used their products. They can't refute that.

I've heard bad things about using primochill tubing with dyes and plasticising and what not. I also heard that it only happens once the water starts heating up considerably or something. I'd go with the tygon, personally. I think tygon tubing also flexes pretty well.
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkAngel666 View Post


Well, I'd say your best bet is just use their coolants. That way they can't b**** and complain about you using some other brand coolant and if something goes wrong it's your fault and what not. Using theirs the blame is solely on them and that way you are guaranteed to keep your warranty on nickel blocks as you only used their products. They can't refute that.

I've heard bad things about using primochill tubing with dyes and plasticising and what not. I also heard that it only happens once the water starts heating up considerably or something. I'd go with the tygon, personally. I think tygon tubing also flexes pretty well.

I think might do that then. Tygon with their coolant. All ek blocks shouldn't get corroded by their own coolant :/
Pure Elegance
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K [4.5Ghz @ 1.32v] Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Radeon HD 7970 (Direct CUII) Corsair Dominator-GT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black (1TB) + OCZ Vertex 3 (60GB) + O... EK Supremacy XSPC RX360 XSPC Dual Bay Res w/ Swiftech MCP655 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Direct CUII 7970 (Acetal + Copper) Windows 8 Pro 3 x Asus PA238Q (Eyefinity) Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum 860w Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Mamba 2012 Steel Series QCK+ / Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudioOther
ASUS Xonar Phoebus Corsair SP 2500 Astro A40 Phobya FanMax 6 Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
Pure Elegance
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K [4.5Ghz @ 1.32v] Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Radeon HD 7970 (Direct CUII) Corsair Dominator-GT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Caviar Black (1TB) + OCZ Vertex 3 (60GB) + O... EK Supremacy XSPC RX360 XSPC Dual Bay Res w/ Swiftech MCP655 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EK Direct CUII 7970 (Acetal + Copper) Windows 8 Pro 3 x Asus PA238Q (Eyefinity) Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum 860w Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Mamba 2012 Steel Series QCK+ / Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudioOther
ASUS Xonar Phoebus Corsair SP 2500 Astro A40 Phobya FanMax 6 Controller  
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codycjd View Post

I think might do that then. Tygon with their coolant. All ek blocks shouldn't get corroded by their own coolant :/

biggrin.gif Yeah well you'd certainly hope not. Otherwise that creates a rather weird situation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Quick kit questions