Overclock.net banner

$5000 budget

4K views 123 replies 38 participants last post by  Chozart 
#1 ·
I have a small business at my school where i build and repair computers. Recently, someone approached me about building a computer in about 2 months and they offered to pay $5000 USD for parts and $500 for labor. I already have an idea of what im going to do but I just wanted to see what you guys would do with the money. It's time for me to make some MONEY!

See less See more
#3 ·
Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme 6800
Nvidia Geforce 7950 GX2
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 6400
Creative Fatal1ty X-Fi
Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI X16 motherboard
4 x 10 000 RPM X GB Raptor Hard drive in RAID 0
Blue-ray disk reader/burner.

But if I were you I would wait because the Geforce 8800 GTX is supposed to launch this week.

#4 ·
does anyone have any idea when those amd quad cores come out?

#6 ·
Right now im thinking

Kentsfield Quad Core
NForce590 SLI ( are there any that work with intels?)
2 8800gtxs
4gb Corsair Dominators
Lian Li Server case
1000W Pc power and cooling psu
2 Raptors RAID 0
4 500 GB Raid 0
Danger Den watercooling

#8 ·
Your not gonna want the older NVIDIA chipset with the intels.. Wait for the 680i chipset out sometimes this month.

And that rig is insane, and might be over 5,000$. The ram alone there is $1,300. I'd cut down on the ram and get like a 1,000$ monitor.

#9 ·
Yea I could but i don't see use for that seeing as this kid has no idea how to do anything on a computer. The reason im getting payed 500 is because Im going to be showing him how to do a lot of stuff.

#11 ·
will the amd quad cores be compatible with existing am2 motherboards? I honestly believe the kid will be better off with an AMD but I can't delay a sale to wait for quad cores. So I'll use an fx-62 in the meantime and upgrade wehn it comes out. However if the current mobos dont support quads then ill get the x6800 then switch the mobo and CPU when it comes out

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stormlobster View Post
does anyone have any idea when those amd quad cores come out?
unfortunately the quad cores' performance benchmarks have put it just below the E6700's in gaming related tests... depends what he wants this PC for... if he's doing design and editing then he'll be set with a quad core, if he's gaming... the X6800 may be the way to go

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaLoveDocta View Post
unfortunately the quad cores' performance benchmarks have put it just below the E6700's in gaming related tests... depends what he wants this PC for... if he's doing design and editing then he'll be set with a quad core, if he's gaming... the X6800 may be the way to go

The quad cores are overclockable to 3.2ghz just by upping FSB on air cooling according the the reviews. Which would put it above the x6800 even in a single core envirnment.

And in 6 months when the Quad core games come out this will be quite abit faster than the x6800 even at stock.

#14 ·
ok, he wants it for gaming so if the x6800 is better for that, ill go for it. He also wants me to overclock his system but i have no experience overclocking with intels. Is it much different than an AMD?

#15 ·
honestly if a kid is paying you 5500 to build a computer i think somebody is riding the white pony.

and don't get an fx-62, just get an c2d proc because they'll perform better. or else use your head and buy a s939 board w/ an opteron proc, overclock it massively, put watercooling in it and then still charge him the 5500 bucks.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
The quad cores are overclockable to 3.2ghz just by upping FSB on air cooling according the the reviews. Which would put it above the x6800 even in a single core envirnment.
Of this i was not aware. i was going by stock comparisons. quadcore it is then!

#17 ·
Quote:

ok, he wants it for gaming so if the x6800 is better for that, ill go for it. He also wants me to overclock his system but i have no experience overclocking with intels. Is it much different than an AMD?
they're easy as pie. same way, just jack up the FSB a lot. Intel's <3 FSB w/ looser timings.

#18 ·
ok thats it i'll let you guys duke it out. I really appreciate all the comments, im actually learning lots of little things ive been wondering about and its really helpful. Im just going to listen to your arguments and make my mind up from that.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudd View Post
honestly if a kid is paying you 5500 to build a computer i think somebody is riding the white pony.

and don't get an fx-62, just get an c2d proc because they'll perform better. or else use your head and buy a s939 board w/ an opteron proc, overclock it massively, put watercooling in it and then still charge him the 5500 bucks.
I'm not going to screw this kid over with a 939. At the very least least ill get him an am2 or c2d. However much i like your idea, i can't do that in clear conscience.

#21 ·
Quote:

ok thats it i'll let you guys duke it out. I really appreciate all the comments, im actually learning lots of little things ive been wondering about and its really helpful. Im just going to listen to your arguments and make my mind up from that.
i thought we were all just making suggestions =/

imho, if he's actually your customer i would explain to him that he can build 2x really effin (fatherless child) fast computers for 5000 and it'll keep up w/ everything for the next few years w/ minimal updates, and then go from there....

#22 ·
but the thing is i really want to experiment with the 5000.

#25 ·
thats the thing, the premium you pay for THE BEST components at the time is just for bragging in the first 2 months. 2 Months later, prices drop 20% or more, and you are just stuck with a "very fast" but VERY over-paid-for computer.

Instead, I think you should advise him to treat his computer as a long-term investment. Tell him to get the best components he can afford, like an E6600 or E6700, get a really nice watercooling setup that takes minimal maintainance, overclock to X6800+ speeds (so taht he cant complain on performance) and tell him to save the rest for when components need upgrading. I spend about 3300 bucks on my system 2.5 years ago, and while I have enjoyed my rig a LOT, I think taht I should have gone down this road. I could have gotten a BLAZING fast computer for about 2500, saved the rest for GPU and other upgrades down the line, when I really needed it.

I also think this is a scam. Until you get the money in hand, I am hard pressed to believe this is a legit deal. Hey, I coudl be wrong, but it seems like a lot for a custom build (I mean, him paying you 10%, thats steep). I mean, for what? A week of searching online for parts and maybe 3-4 days of build time and burn-in? Id really be surprised if this played out. I mean, he could just take your "advised build" and buy it himself and build it himself, with your advice: leaving you out in the cold. I hope not, but it seems like the most likely avenue.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozza View Post
Buy second best of everything and keep the rest of the cash for yourself.

Get a flash case so he thinks it's good. If he knows little about computers you're in for a winner here.

I'm evil... I know... but business is business.
Don't do that.. Thats mean... And if he thinks he buying 5,000$ for the computer and paying you 500$ , and you go and spend 3,000$ and keep the rest for yourself... Thats something called scamming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.