Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Building a NAS need advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building a NAS need advice - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolid View Post

There's also NAS4Free (continuation of the FreeNAS 7 line). It has newer ZFS support (FreeBSD 9 based). That's what I've been using. If you want to do anything like deduplication or high compression, that really eats CPU and memory.

This will be my first NAS unit, is there any reason you decided to stay with the continuation of 7 over moving to 8?

I think have also decided to use my old P180 case instead of buying one, saves me a chunk of change ehhe.
Edited by grendelrt - 7/26/12 at 6:05am
Grendelrt System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASRock Extreme 7+ GeForce 670 SLI GSkill TridentZ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
480GB M500 SSD Windows 10 64-Bit 1080P Projector Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D G600 
  hide details  
Reply
Grendelrt System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASRock Extreme 7+ GeForce 670 SLI GSkill TridentZ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
480GB M500 SSD Windows 10 64-Bit 1080P Projector Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D G600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post

This will be my first NAS unit, is there any reason you decided to stay with the continuation of 7 over moving to 8?
I just wanted to play with the newer ZFS features (deduplication mainly). You probably wouldn't need any of those, but I thought I'd just let you know about NAS4Free. Most people aren't aware that the developers moved off to that when iXsystems took over the FreeNAS name at version 8. Both are good, NAS4Free was just ahead of the curve when I installed. ZFSv28 is coming to FreeNAS in 8.3 I believe.

What exactly do you want to do with your NAS?
2017 Build
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac PowerColor R9 280 3GB 2x Corsair Venceance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 (4x16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD Mushkin Reactor 960GB MLC SSD Corsair H110i 34" LG 34UC88-B 3440x1440 
PowerCase
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG 
CPUCPUCPUCPU
AMD Opteron 8431 AMD Opteron 8431 AMD Opteron 8431 AMD Opteron 8431 
MotherboardRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Supermicro H8QME-2+ 32GB DDR2-667 ECC Registered (16x2GB) 2x Samsung F3 1TB 2x Toshiba 5TB 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
4x Hyper TX-3 Debian Wheezy Headless Corsair CX750M 
  hide details  
Reply
2017 Build
(10 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700X ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac PowerColor R9 280 3GB 2x Corsair Venceance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 (4x16GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD Mushkin Reactor 960GB MLC SSD Corsair H110i 34" LG 34UC88-B 3440x1440 
PowerCase
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG 
CPUCPUCPUCPU
AMD Opteron 8431 AMD Opteron 8431 AMD Opteron 8431 AMD Opteron 8431 
MotherboardRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Supermicro H8QME-2+ 32GB DDR2-667 ECC Registered (16x2GB) 2x Samsung F3 1TB 2x Toshiba 5TB 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
4x Hyper TX-3 Debian Wheezy Headless Corsair CX750M 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolid View Post

I just wanted to play with the newer ZFS features (deduplication mainly). You probably wouldn't need any of those, but I thought I'd just let you know about NAS4Free. Most people aren't aware that the developers moved off to that when iXsystems took over the FreeNAS name at version 8. Both are good, NAS4Free was just ahead of the curve when I installed. ZFSv28 is coming to FreeNAS in 8.3 I believe.
What exactly do you want to do with your NAS?

Not much really, just serve content to the house. Currently i use an external drive on my HTPC, but I want something the whole house can pull from. I might do a little BT, but after I get into it I bet ill find other things I want to do =)
Grendelrt System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASRock Extreme 7+ GeForce 670 SLI GSkill TridentZ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
480GB M500 SSD Windows 10 64-Bit 1080P Projector Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D G600 
  hide details  
Reply
Grendelrt System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASRock Extreme 7+ GeForce 670 SLI GSkill TridentZ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
480GB M500 SSD Windows 10 64-Bit 1080P Projector Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D G600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 18
How is your NAS build coming? Building a NAS is something I'm looking to do, along with building a HTPC for my Living Room.
My Gaming Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K Z97X-SOC Force MSI GTX 1070 FE G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2 Crucial M4 256GB XSPC RX360 + RX240 + RX120 XSPC Raystorm EK 1070FE WB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64 Qnix QX2710 96Hz CM Storm Rapid Coolermaster V Series 850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Mionix Onboard Sound / HD449s 
  hide details  
Reply
My Gaming Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K Z97X-SOC Force MSI GTX 1070 FE G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2 Crucial M4 256GB XSPC RX360 + RX240 + RX120 XSPC Raystorm EK 1070FE WB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64 Qnix QX2710 96Hz CM Storm Rapid Coolermaster V Series 850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Mionix Onboard Sound / HD449s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolid View Post

I just wanted to play with the newer ZFS features (deduplication mainly). You probably wouldn't need any of those, but I thought I'd just let you know about NAS4Free. Most people aren't aware that the developers moved off to that when iXsystems took over the FreeNAS name at version 8. Both are good, NAS4Free was just ahead of the curve when I installed. ZFSv28 is coming to FreeNAS in 8.3 I believe.
What exactly do you want to do with your NAS?

Deduping uses up a ton of RAM from what I've read.
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt26LFC View Post

How is your NAS build coming? Building a NAS is something I'm looking to do, along with building a HTPC for my Living Room.

I ended up building one using a Celeron Ivy Bridge G540, 8GB RAM, 430W PSU and used my old P180 case. Runs awesome, maxes out my gigabit network. Runs super cool , I ended up getting 3 2TB WD Red drives, no issues so far with those.
Grendelrt System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASRock Extreme 7+ GeForce 670 SLI GSkill TridentZ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
480GB M500 SSD Windows 10 64-Bit 1080P Projector Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D G600 
  hide details  
Reply
Grendelrt System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASRock Extreme 7+ GeForce 670 SLI GSkill TridentZ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
480GB M500 SSD Windows 10 64-Bit 1080P Projector Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D G600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post

I ended up building one using a Celeron Ivy Bridge G540, 8GB RAM, 430W PSU and used my old P180 case. Runs awesome, maxes out my gigabit network. Runs super cool , I ended up getting 3 2TB WD Red drives, no issues so far with those.

Cheers for getting back to me dude.

Anyway, sounds good. I have an old Antec 1200 case laying around, though I feel its to large for what I want, I was looking at a used P280 actually. I was thinking of going 5 drives, all 2TB, and in RAID5.

Couple questions, how have you set up your 3 drives? I take it you don't run the OS on a separate drive? Also, now this may sound silly, but do you have a keyboard and mouse and monitor for your NAS or can you access it through your desktop? I ask because i'd just prefer the Box itself and no other peripherals to save space. I'll be using my Desktop to convert/rip or whatever it is I have to do to get my DVD/Blu Ray collection into the correct format for use and use the network to transfer the files over to the NAS.

I should probably do more research on how all this works first really lol
My Gaming Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K Z97X-SOC Force MSI GTX 1070 FE G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2 Crucial M4 256GB XSPC RX360 + RX240 + RX120 XSPC Raystorm EK 1070FE WB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64 Qnix QX2710 96Hz CM Storm Rapid Coolermaster V Series 850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Mionix Onboard Sound / HD449s 
  hide details  
Reply
My Gaming Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770K Z97X-SOC Force MSI GTX 1070 FE G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
2 Crucial M4 256GB XSPC RX360 + RX240 + RX120 XSPC Raystorm EK 1070FE WB 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64 Qnix QX2710 96Hz CM Storm Rapid Coolermaster V Series 850w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Mionix Onboard Sound / HD449s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt26LFC View Post

Cheers for getting back to me dude.
Anyway, sounds good. I have an old Antec 1200 case laying around, though I feel its to large for what I want, I was looking at a used P280 actually. I was thinking of going 5 drives, all 2TB, and in RAID5.
Couple questions, how have you set up your 3 drives? I take it you don't run the OS on a separate drive? Also, now this may sound silly, but do you have a keyboard and mouse and monitor for your NAS or can you access it through your desktop? I ask because i'd just prefer the Box itself and no other peripherals to save space. I'll be using my Desktop to convert/rip or whatever it is I have to do to get my DVD/Blu Ray collection into the correct format for use and use the network to transfer the files over to the NAS.
I should probably do more research on how all this works first really lol

If you run FreeNAS you can put it on a CD, HDD, or USB stick. I put it on a USB stick, then have the 3 2TB drives. If you want to run it on a HDD it has to be out of the array you want for space, or you would have to partition it or something. Much easier to spend 10 bucks on a USB stick and run it off of there. If you run freeNAS you could run those 5 drives on ZFS Zraid2 and have 2 redundant drives or ZRaid1 with one redundant drive. Its a software solution, so you dont have to buy a raid card. I turned off everything on my MB that isnt being used to save power.
Grendelrt System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASRock Extreme 7+ GeForce 670 SLI GSkill TridentZ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
480GB M500 SSD Windows 10 64-Bit 1080P Projector Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D G600 
  hide details  
Reply
Grendelrt System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASRock Extreme 7+ GeForce 670 SLI GSkill TridentZ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
480GB M500 SSD Windows 10 64-Bit 1080P Projector Corsair HX1000 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D G600 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Building a NAS need advice