Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Official Socket 939 Opteron Most Overclockable Stepping Averages + Info
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Socket 939 Opteron Most Overclockable Stepping Averages + Info - Page 4

post #31 of 68
Check this out. I got a 24hr. Ortho's stable run of the LCBQE at 281 x 10 - 2.81Ghz. at 1.25 vcore
LL
A Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Unlocked X3 710 Gigabyte 790 GX XFX 4850 1 gig version 6 gigs of G. Skill Pi and Crucial Ballistix mixed 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
5 x Seagate Sata II -1.64 TB total Phillips SATA DVDR/RW Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64 bit + Windows 7 Beta Hanns G 22" LCD 
PowerCase
Antec NeoPower 650 watt Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
A Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Unlocked X3 710 Gigabyte 790 GX XFX 4850 1 gig version 6 gigs of G. Skill Pi and Crucial Ballistix mixed 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
5 x Seagate Sata II -1.64 TB total Phillips SATA DVDR/RW Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64 bit + Windows 7 Beta Hanns G 22" LCD 
PowerCase
Antec NeoPower 650 watt Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 68
Buying a Opteron. 175 170 or 165? It seems that they all hit somewhere in the 2.7, 3.0 range so will it matter? From the info gathered it seems like its just a roll of the dice.
 
Blackmamba
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ socket 939 CPU 2.4 GHz T... ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon ... x1950/X1900xtx@762/1.7/2.2 Crossfire 2x1GB OCZ EL DDR400@496 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xRaptor74GB/ext 320gb usb Samsung dvd/r Windows XP pro 22'' BenQfp222 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Z-board 620w Corsair DD Torture Rack Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Blackmamba
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ socket 939 CPU 2.4 GHz T... ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon ... x1950/X1900xtx@762/1.7/2.2 Crossfire 2x1GB OCZ EL DDR400@496 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xRaptor74GB/ext 320gb usb Samsung dvd/r Windows XP pro 22'' BenQfp222 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Z-board 620w Corsair DD Torture Rack Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierceleaf View Post
Question for any opteron owners;

If you could choose between 165 170 and 175, and they were all the same price, what would you get?
Totally depends on your motherboard.

But, the simplest answer for me is to pick the 175, as this has the highest CPU multiplier. This means that the motherboard chipset is less stressed to get to the same speeds as a CPU with a lower CPU multiplier.

Example: Let's say you're trying to hit, say, 3.0GHz. To do this with a 165, you need 333.33 (let's say 334) MHz from your HT ("FSB") clock (333.33 x 9); with a 170, your motherboard needs 300MHz from its HT clock; from a 175, 273 (272.72, to be precise) MHz. I'm an advocate of getting the most performance for the least stress, so I'd choose the 175 on this basis.

If your motherboard can't scale past 270MHz, then the choice is obvious. But testing your motherboard's capability should've been something you've already done by this stage.

Hope this helps!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC3 10600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Almost 8TB of storage AMD Stock Cooler Windows Home Server CoolerMaster SilentPro M 700W 
Case
Lian Li PC-V2000B (with thlnk3r mods) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC3 10600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Almost 8TB of storage AMD Stock Cooler Windows Home Server CoolerMaster SilentPro M 700W 
Case
Lian Li PC-V2000B (with thlnk3r mods) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe View Post
Totally depends on your motherboard.

But, the simplest answer for me is to pick the 175, as this has the highest CPU multiplier. This means that the motherboard chipset is less stressed to get to the same speeds as a CPU with a lower CPU multiplier.

Example: Let's say you're trying to hit, say, 3.0GHz. To do this with a 165, you need 333.33 (let's say 334) MHz from your HT ("FSB") clock (333.33 x 9); with a 170, your motherboard needs 300MHz from its HT clock; from a 175, 273 (272.72, to be precise) MHz. I'm an advocate of getting the most performance for the least stress, so I'd choose the 175 on this basis.

If your motherboard can't scale past 270MHz, then the choice is obvious. But testing your motherboard's capability should've been something you've already done by this stage.

Hope this helps!
Nice info dude
post #35 of 68
Tanks, txtmstrjoe

So in theory, if the rest of your components are capable of getting each chip to 3.0 it shouldn't matter. It still comes down to if you get a good week or a good chip. Theoretically all the chips could be capable of hitting 3.0. Correct?
 
Blackmamba
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ socket 939 CPU 2.4 GHz T... ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon ... x1950/X1900xtx@762/1.7/2.2 Crossfire 2x1GB OCZ EL DDR400@496 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xRaptor74GB/ext 320gb usb Samsung dvd/r Windows XP pro 22'' BenQfp222 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Z-board 620w Corsair DD Torture Rack Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Blackmamba
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ socket 939 CPU 2.4 GHz T... ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon ... x1950/X1900xtx@762/1.7/2.2 Crossfire 2x1GB OCZ EL DDR400@496 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xRaptor74GB/ext 320gb usb Samsung dvd/r Windows XP pro 22'' BenQfp222 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Z-board 620w Corsair DD Torture Rack Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierceleaf View Post
Tanks, txtmstrjoe

So in theory, if the rest of your components are capable of getting each chip to 3.0 it shouldn't matter. It still comes down to if you get a good week or a good chip. Theoretically all the chips could be capable of hitting 3.0. Correct?
Theoretically (or, more precisely, potentially), all K8 Opterons can hit the magical 3.0GHz.

In practice, though, the factors are just too numerous and random to make a clear and precise prediction. As you've alluded to, having a chip with a good stepping helps somewhat, as data collected by various observers suggest that certain batches of chips tend to have an average max overclocking level; however, since it's subject to the law of averages, there will be some chips who don't meet the average, and some that may exceed it. Trends are not absolute, no matter how much we may want to believe in them if they're favorable (or how much we may want to refute them, if not favorable).

There is only one absolute law in the world of the dark art, and that is "Nothing is absolute." Theory and potential are one thing; results, observation, and reality are entirely different.

Hope this helps!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC3 10600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Almost 8TB of storage AMD Stock Cooler Windows Home Server CoolerMaster SilentPro M 700W 
Case
Lian Li PC-V2000B (with thlnk3r mods) 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 BE Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC3 10600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Almost 8TB of storage AMD Stock Cooler Windows Home Server CoolerMaster SilentPro M 700W 
Case
Lian Li PC-V2000B (with thlnk3r mods) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe View Post
Theoretically (or, more precisely, potentially), all K8 Opterons can hit the magical 3.0GHz.

In practice, though, the factors are just too numerous and random to make a clear and precise prediction. As you've alluded to, having a chip with a good stepping helps somewhat, as data collected by various observers suggest that certain batches of chips tend to have an average max overclocking level; however, since it's subject to the law of averages, there will be some chips who don't meet the average, and some that may exceed it. Trends are not absolute, no matter how much we may want to believe in them if they're favorable (or how much we may want to refute them, if not favorable).

There is only one absolute law in the world of the dark art, and that is "Nothing is absolute." Theory and potential are one thing; results, observation, and reality are entirely different.

Hope this helps!
I have just added that Quote to the OP...Its very good as its true lol
post #38 of 68
If all factors are in my favor when purchasing an opteron(it hits 3.0 or more) to replace my 4800+.
Would you think it would be wise to spend 150$ replace the 4800+ that is limited to 2750, and try for a 3.0 opteron or just hang on to the 4800+. This is my conundrum. Do I take the chance and possibly get a chip thats does the same performance or worse as my current cpu, based on the hope that I may possibly hit 3.0 with an opteron.

I guess it comes down to if I'm willing to roll the dice with my expendable cash.

Sorry Ive kind of hijacked this thread. If I do purchase the opteron I will be sure to post its specs when Ive overclocked it.
 
Blackmamba
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ socket 939 CPU 2.4 GHz T... ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon ... x1950/X1900xtx@762/1.7/2.2 Crossfire 2x1GB OCZ EL DDR400@496 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xRaptor74GB/ext 320gb usb Samsung dvd/r Windows XP pro 22'' BenQfp222 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Z-board 620w Corsair DD Torture Rack Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Blackmamba
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ socket 939 CPU 2.4 GHz T... ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon ... x1950/X1900xtx@762/1.7/2.2 Crossfire 2x1GB OCZ EL DDR400@496 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2xRaptor74GB/ext 320gb usb Samsung dvd/r Windows XP pro 22'' BenQfp222 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Z-board 620w Corsair DD Torture Rack Microsoft 
Mouse Pad
Desktop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtmstrjoe View Post
Totally depends on your motherboard.

But, the simplest answer for me is to pick the 175, as this has the highest CPU multiplier. This means that the motherboard chipset is less stressed to get to the same speeds as a CPU with a lower CPU multiplier.

Example: Let's say you're trying to hit, say, 3.0GHz. To do this with a 165, you need 333.33 (let's say 334) MHz from your HT ("FSB") clock (333.33 x 9); with a 170, your motherboard needs 300MHz from its HT clock; from a 175, 273 (272.72, to be precise) MHz. I'm an advocate of getting the most performance for the least stress, so I'd choose the 175 on this basis.

If your motherboard can't scale past 270MHz, then the choice is obvious. But testing your motherboard's capability should've been something you've already done by this stage.

Hope this helps!
Txtmstrjoe, this is a very good point. I too will remember this when purchasing a new processor. +1
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 620 Asus M4A785-M Asus 5770 G.Skill 8GB DDR2-800 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WD3200AAJS Windows 7 Pro Acer AL2216W, Samsung P2770 Corsair 550VX 
Case
Tagan Black Pearl 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 68
Think the AM2 Optys can get some love?

CCBIF 6050 VPMW~ http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=233388

This is the highest i have had it stable with my current hardware config. It will go higher (see my sig) when i get a new board and some better RAM i have very little doubt it will break 3.0 stable. I suppose that remains too be seen though.

Pay no mind to CPU-Z recognizing it as a Santa Rosa it's a Santa Ana not sure what that is all about......

    
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
X2 3600+ Brisbane @ 3.0GHz ~ naked Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 2 x 1G DDR2 667 Samsung Spinpoint 160G SATA 3.0 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Optiarc DVD-RW Visat Home Premium Cooler Master Extreme Power 550w Big old server case I found in the alley 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
X2 3600+ Brisbane @ 3.0GHz ~ naked Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 2 x 1G DDR2 667 Samsung Spinpoint 160G SATA 3.0 
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
Optiarc DVD-RW Visat Home Premium Cooler Master Extreme Power 550w Big old server case I found in the alley 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
  • Official Socket 939 Opteron Most Overclockable Stepping Averages + Info
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Official Socket 939 Opteron Most Overclockable Stepping Averages + Info