Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Telegraph] Apple design chief: 'Our goal isn't to make money'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Telegraph] Apple design chief: 'Our goal isn't to make money' - Page 9

post #81 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

oh so naive....
Steve Jobs used to say: "I was worth about over a million dollars when I was 23 and over ten million dollars when I was 24, and over a hundred million dollars when I was 25 and… it wasn't that important — because I never did it for the money" interesting....because...
  • Steve received a private jet (a Gulfstream V) as a gift from the Apple board in 2000, which he used to take his family to Kona Village in Hawaii almost every year.
  • . He bought a new model of the same car every 6 months (a Mercedes SL55 AMG in his later years (that's a 106,000 dollar car every 6 months)
  • 2010-2011, he spent a considerable of time designing a yacht with a glass deck, which he hoped to use to take his family on vacation, and to eventually retire
  • When Apple went public in 1980, he refused to give away stock and preferred to keep as much as possible to himself. When Woz asked him to give stock to Dan Kottke, the college friend that traveled with him to India and helped him out in the garage, Steve replied: "Fine. I'll give him zero."
  • The same happened fifteen years later, during the Pixar IPO. Steve made sure that he, Ed Catmull and John Lasseter got plenty of stock, but all the employees who had stuck with the company for many years, despite its failures, were hardly compensated at all. In fact, Steve had taken back their stock in 1991
  • When he came back to Apple, he insisted to have a $1 salary and kept him for his 14 years there, but he got generously compensated with stock and options.
  • "The board approved an option on 7.5 million shares.
  • After Jobs's death, a controversy arose again about his lack of any philanthropic initiatives. The refrain goes that Jobs never gave money to philanthropy, and that after shutting down Apple's philanthropic arm in 1997, when the company was in dire straits, he never reinstated it later
  • In 2007 Bill Gates gave away 30 billion dollars to charities, and in 2010, 10 billion to vaccinations....

Yuppers Mr. Jobs was a D**k head, there is no way around it.
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 590D 4K KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W bequiet! Silent Base 800 
MouseAudioAudio
Speedlink Omni VI  Sound Blaster Z  Bose Companion 2  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 590D 4K KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W bequiet! Silent Base 800 
MouseAudioAudio
Speedlink Omni VI  Sound Blaster Z  Bose Companion 2  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

That's just your opinion.
Can I tell Ferrari to stop charging so much for their sports cars? rolleyes.gif

No, it's a fact..
Apple charges grossly inflated prices and there's no way to argue against that. You look at market competition and there are companies with comparable products at lower prices points.
APPL plays of saps and stupidity. Look at the morons that constantly jump out with zealotry at defending a company - it's a psychological disorder stupid people have with a company

Ferrari provides a premium item which is not found in it's competition. A highly tuned, performance and premium product which is backed by a long history of international competition, racing pedigree and lust.

APPL does not provide such a product - the components they use - bone stock which can be found in other pcs.
The chassis design - a bit unique and forethought, with plenty of other companies with similar products.

If you were to argue something FOR APPL, it's that people, in general, are idiots and APPL has capitalized on that and found a way to illicit religious fervency over a product.

Steve Jobs was nothing special - and yet he was on national television with people saying how a product made them happy. Very sad state of people when they mourn some ass-hole CEO.
post #83 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd051 View Post

No, it's a fact..
Apple charges grossly inflated prices and there's no way to argue against that. You look at market competition and there are companies with comparable products at lower prices points.
APPL plays of saps and stupidity. Look at the morons that constantly jump out with zealotry at defending a company - it's a psychological disorder stupid people have with a company
Ferrari provides a premium item which is not found in it's competition. A highly tuned, performance and premium product which is backed by a long history of international competition, racing pedigree and lust.
APPL does not provide such a product - the components they use - bone stock which can be found in other pcs.
The chassis design - a bit unique and forethought, with plenty of other companies with similar products.
If you were to argue something FOR APPL, it's that people, in general, are idiots and APPL has capitalized on that and found a way to illicit religious fervency over a product.
Steve Jobs was nothing special - and yet he was on national television with people saying how a product made them happy. Very sad state of people when they mourn some ass-hole CEO.

here's another way of putting it.

Apple buys cheap OEM products, sells them for 2 twice the cost. (everybody hates on gamestop for something VERYYYY similar)

ON THE OTHER HAND

much of the ferrari is still indeed hand made. If you include hand assembled in the mix. Of course, much of the leather interior is hand made and ferrari still hand makes/ finishes much of the motor in house. Each car is fine tuned, roughly 6,000 ferrari's were sold this past year. apple sell that many iphones in.......like a minute
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 205
Lol, this is great. The title is the best!

This is the statement that they make then launch new products that are 2x more expensive than any comprable PC based on the same hardware.... We just make our products for the shere fun of it! lol
post #85 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

oh so naive....
Steve Jobs used to say: "I was worth about over a million dollars when I was 23 and over ten million dollars when I was 24, and over a hundred million dollars when I was 25 and… it wasn't that important — because I never did it for the money" interesting....because...
  • Steve received a private jet (a Gulfstream V) as a gift from the Apple board in 2000, which he used to take his family to Kona Village in Hawaii almost every year.
  • . He bought a new model of the same car every 6 months (a Mercedes SL55 AMG in his later years (that's a 106,000 dollar car every 6 months)
  • 2010-2011, he spent a considerable of time designing a yacht with a glass deck, which he hoped to use to take his family on vacation, and to eventually retire
  • When Apple went public in 1980, he refused to give away stock and preferred to keep as much as possible to himself. When Woz asked him to give stock to Dan Kottke, the college friend that traveled with him to India and helped him out in the garage, Steve replied: "Fine. I'll give him zero."
  • The same happened fifteen years later, during the Pixar IPO. Steve made sure that he, Ed Catmull and John Lasseter got plenty of stock, but all the employees who had stuck with the company for many years, despite its failures, were hardly compensated at all. In fact, Steve had taken back their stock in 1991
  • When he came back to Apple, he insisted to have a $1 salary and kept him for his 14 years there, but he got generously compensated with stock and options.
  • "The board approved an option on 7.5 million shares.
  • After Jobs's death, a controversy arose again about his lack of any philanthropic initiatives. The refrain goes that Jobs never gave money to philanthropy, and that after shutting down Apple's philanthropic arm in 1997, when the company was in dire straits, he never reinstated it later
  • In 2007 Bill Gates gave away 30 billion dollars to charities, and in 2010, 10 billion to vaccinations....

You forgot to abridge the rest...

When he came back to Apple, he insisted to have a $1 salary and kept him for his 14 years there, but he got generously compensated with stock and options. He actually even asked for more options in 2001, a SEC investigation revealed: "It wasn't so much about the money," he told an SEC lawyer. "Everybody likes to be recognized by his peers. … I felt that the board wasn't really doing the same with me. I just felt like there is nobody looking out for me here, you know… So I wanted them to do something, and so we talked about it. … I thought I was doing a pretty good job."The board approved an option on 7.5 million shares.

Some suggest it was a political use of stock and had nothing to do with their value. This is the same rationale that made Steve sell all but one of his Apple stock back in 1985, after he left the company, even though it made little business sense.

After Jobs's death, a controversy arose again about his lack of any philanthropic initiatives. The refrain goes that Jobs never gave money to philanthropy, and that after shutting down Apple's philanthropic arm in 1997, when the company was in dire straits, he never reinstated it later. He wouldn't talk about it to his biographer Walter Isaacson either. The truth is that he made donations to a couple of institutions, including the Stanford Hospital, and that he was a big help in the (RED) campaign by creating a red iPod. However, he did not spend his time picking up charities, feeling he served a better cause by working for Apple and creating money that his shareholders could distribute. He actually started a foundation in 1986, but closed it after 15 months, as he spent all his time at NeXT.
The Maestro
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Onboard g.skill Ripjaws g.skill Phoenix SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
Samsung Spinpoint Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone SG-05 
AudioAudio
M-Audio Profire 610 KRK Rokit 5 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
The Maestro
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Onboard g.skill Ripjaws g.skill Phoenix SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
Samsung Spinpoint Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone SG-05 
AudioAudio
M-Audio Profire 610 KRK Rokit 5 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd051 View Post

No, it's a fact..
Apple charges grossly inflated prices and there's no way to argue against that. You look at market competition and there are companies with comparable products at lower prices points.
APPL plays of saps and stupidity. Look at the morons that constantly jump out with zealotry at defending a company - it's a psychological disorder stupid people have with a company
Ferrari provides a premium item which is not found in it's competition. A highly tuned, performance and premium product which is backed by a long history of international competition, racing pedigree and lust.
APPL does not provide such a product - the components they use - bone stock which can be found in other pcs.
The chassis design - a bit unique and forethought, with plenty of other companies with similar products.
If you were to argue something FOR APPL, it's that people, in general, are idiots and APPL has capitalized on that and found a way to illicit religious fervency over a product.
Steve Jobs was nothing special - and yet he was on national television with people saying how a product made them happy. Very sad state of people when they mourn some ass-hole CEO.

Ferrari may be a gross exaggeration. Maybe a BMW.
The Maestro
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Onboard g.skill Ripjaws g.skill Phoenix SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
Samsung Spinpoint Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone SG-05 
AudioAudio
M-Audio Profire 610 KRK Rokit 5 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
The Maestro
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Onboard g.skill Ripjaws g.skill Phoenix SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
Samsung Spinpoint Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone SG-05 
AudioAudio
M-Audio Profire 610 KRK Rokit 5 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #87 of 205
Apple Design Chief: "Our goal isn't to make money, but if your government is interested, we have the new iMint that will print out monetary bills with Steve Jobs' face on it. Pretty neat, huh?
post #88 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Yes, wonderful customer support. Apple are a company truly to be trusted.
Anyone else remember the 1st Gen iPods with batteries that expired just after the warranty?

Still crying about the antenna? What did you expect them to do? If it bothered you so much, you return it. There's nothing that can be done to fix it other than a redesign of the phone. That is not customer support.

" Yeah sir let just take this in the back to the machine shop to make you a new phone without this problem, just wait right here... "

Derp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

I thought the Retina MBP used an IPS panel headscratch.gif

RMBP's are the first.
post #89 of 205
If the goals not to make money, then why don't they do philanthropy or something? Or maybe what they REALLY want is an army of brainwashed followers who will join them when they try to form a nation out of the ashes of capitalism (which will die as a result of aforementioned followers spending all their money on phones instead of mortgages)
Fractal Fury
(9 items)
 
TJ08-e Reborn!
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930k ASRock X99m Killer AMD Radeon Fury X G-Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Kingston Hyper-X Predator M.2 Corsair H100i GTX Ducky Shine III (MX Blue) EVGA Supernova 750 G2 
Case
Fractal Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
Fractal Fury
(9 items)
 
TJ08-e Reborn!
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930k ASRock X99m Killer AMD Radeon Fury X G-Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Kingston Hyper-X Predator M.2 Corsair H100i GTX Ducky Shine III (MX Blue) EVGA Supernova 750 G2 
Case
Fractal Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal View Post

If the goals not to make money, then why don't they do philanthropy or something? Or maybe what they REALLY want is an army of brainwashed followers who will join them when they try to form a nation out of the ashes of capitalism (which will die as a result of aforementioned followers spending all their money on phones instead of mortgages)

I think they opted to go with something instead.
The Maestro
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Onboard g.skill Ripjaws g.skill Phoenix SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
Samsung Spinpoint Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone SG-05 
AudioAudio
M-Audio Profire 610 KRK Rokit 5 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
The Maestro
(10 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k Onboard g.skill Ripjaws g.skill Phoenix SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
Samsung Spinpoint Windows 7 Dell U2410 Silverstone SG-05 
AudioAudio
M-Audio Profire 610 KRK Rokit 5 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Telegraph] Apple design chief: 'Our goal isn't to make money'