Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › ASRock X79 Extreme 11 Owners Issues & Hopefully Fixes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASRock X79 Extreme 11 Owners Issues & Hopefully Fixes - Page 120

post #1191 of 1199
^ oh that is not bad of a deal, and interesting to hear from you that using the card gives you faster performance. That will be something I do then! thanks for sharing the info. Hahaha that infamous X-fan out of the equation. Doesn't it feel great that you don't need to add a fan for the south bridge!? hahaha

Cheers!
jack
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1192 of 1199
I was looking for a watercooling block for the chipset, in vain.... After 2-3 days, the mobo fan went the way of the dodo, I extincted it tongue.gif

I installed a 120mm fan that blew air at where the stock cooler had been, less noise and better temps !

As for the new controller card, it appears to outperform the stock LSI controller, both higher throughput and it seems to handle multiple disk to disk transfers(between different set of disks) a lot better... I have 8 SAS drives attached to it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3970X P9X79 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Corsair  
RAMRAMRAMRAM
Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair  Crucial CT750MX300 Toshiba TR150  Seagate Constellation® ES.3 4TB SAS 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Constellation ES5 6 tb Western Digital Blue Seagate Constellation ES 6TB Samsung se-506AB USB BD Rom drive\writer 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Aquacomputer airplex 1800 radiator, with 9 120m... EK-Supremacy - Full Copper Windows 10 Pro-64 bit Asus ROG pg278q 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung UE40D6505 TV 1920x1080, 3d Logitech G510 Koolance PSU-1000ATX-12N  Fractal Design Define XL R2 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Imperator 4G 2012 Expert Razer Vespula Denon AVR - 4311 reciever Dali Suite c0.8 center speaker, dual 6.5" 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Dali Concept 10 front speaker, dual 10" Dali Concept 6 rear speakers dual 6.5" Nad 218 THX  Vibe Black Death 15" Subwoofer 
Other
LSI 9208I sas controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3970X P9X79 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Corsair  
RAMRAMRAMRAM
Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair  Crucial CT750MX300 Toshiba TR150  Seagate Constellation® ES.3 4TB SAS 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Constellation ES5 6 tb Western Digital Blue Seagate Constellation ES 6TB Samsung se-506AB USB BD Rom drive\writer 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Aquacomputer airplex 1800 radiator, with 9 120m... EK-Supremacy - Full Copper Windows 10 Pro-64 bit Asus ROG pg278q 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung UE40D6505 TV 1920x1080, 3d Logitech G510 Koolance PSU-1000ATX-12N  Fractal Design Define XL R2 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Imperator 4G 2012 Expert Razer Vespula Denon AVR - 4311 reciever Dali Suite c0.8 center speaker, dual 6.5" 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Dali Concept 10 front speaker, dual 10" Dali Concept 6 rear speakers dual 6.5" Nad 218 THX  Vibe Black Death 15" Subwoofer 
Other
LSI 9208I sas controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1193 of 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClaw View Post

I was looking for a watercooling block for the chipset, in vain.... After 2-3 days, the mobo fan went the way of the dodo, I extincted it tongue.gif

I installed a 120mm fan that blew air at where the stock cooler had been, less noise and better temps !

As for the new controller card, it appears to outperform the stock LSI controller, both higher throughput and it seems to handle multiple disk to disk transfers(between different set of disks) a lot better... I have 8 SAS drives attached to it.

I do the same, have a 120mm blowing at the xfan area to help lower temp on SB to keep the xfan under 3000rpm.

I have 8 drives connected to the LSI ports in RAID10. Thanks for the good info on the LSI card again. smile.gif

Cheers!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1194 of 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClaw View Post

I had to buy that LSI card, found it on Ebay from china for 68$ including shipping. Brand new in the box. I have to say, so far, it's been both faster and able to handle multiple disk writes/reaads at the same time without slowing down...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122294994036


On a positive note, I no longer have the need for a motherboard fan.
Opened this topic to look for the B2 error but and found this EPIC! post thumb.gifthumb.gif You sir are my HERO! thumb.gifthumb.gif
I have been looking for a cheap LSI 2008 based controller for ages for my future DIY NAS build and they were all insanely expensive... but not this one! Thank you! biggrin.gif


Now about my X79 Extreme11 : It won't boot with a MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X but it did with my old R9 290X 8GB which was PCIe Express 3.0 too as far as I know.
And yep : The B2 error code was suddenly there! frown.gif

I hope the tips in this topics will solve it, however I am bit confused by the following : To set all slots to PCIe 3.0, wouldn't I need a 4930K instead of my 3930K ?!
I know the PLX chip multiplies the lanes, but I can't remember what the setup was/how everything was connected to the CPU lanes...

Anyway... going to insert my HTPC's GT 630 and see what I can do... soo much for reverse compatibility of PCIe rolleyes.gif
post #1195 of 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by nero355 View Post

Opened this topic to look for the B2 error but and found this EPIC! post thumb.gifthumb.gif You sir are my HERO! thumb.gifthumb.gif
I have been looking for a cheap LSI 2008 based controller for ages for my future DIY NAS build and they were all insanely expensive... but not this one! Thank you! biggrin.gif


Now about my X79 Extreme11 : It won't boot with a MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X but it did with my old R9 290X 8GB which was PCIe Express 3.0 too as far as I know.
And yep : The B2 error code was suddenly there! frown.gif

I hope the tips in this topics will solve it, however I am bit confused by the following : To set all slots to PCIe 3.0, wouldn't I need a 4930K instead of my 3930K ?!
I know the PLX chip multiplies the lanes, but I can't remember what the setup was/how everything was connected to the CPU lanes...

Anyway... going to insert my HTPC's GT 630 and see what I can do... soo much for reverse compatibility of PCIe rolleyes.gif

I'm still on 680 so can't provide too much help, but can confirm I had all PCIe slots set to 3.0 in BIOS. Please let us know how it goes, since sooner/later I will need to upgrade video cards too. smile.gif

cheers!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1196 of 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackk View Post

I'm still on 680 so can't provide too much help, but can confirm I had all PCIe slots set to 3.0 in BIOS. Please let us know how it goes, since sooner/later I will need to upgrade video cards too. smile.gif

cheers!
Well... it works FLAWLESS biggrin.gifthumb.gif

I forgot that the motherboard has TWO PLX CHIPS and you basically control them and their link type/speed to the PCIe slots!

My i7 3930K for example has 40 PCIe 2.0 lanes :

- 8x 2.0 of these go to the LSI 2308 and when you set the Link Speed for the LSI controller you control the controller's link speed, not the link itself with the CPU!

Then :
- 16x 2.0 go to the upper PLX chip.
- Another 16x 2.0 go to the lower PLX chip.

And then the PLX chips each have their links to a number of PCIe slots :
- The upper has slots 1 to 3 : 16x/8x/8x or 16x/0x/16x
- The lower has 4 to 7 : 8x/8x/8x/8x or 0/16x/0x/16x
And all these are PCIe 3.0 !!


That's it! smile.gif


But when you forget this stuff then... you forget to change settings! rolleyes.gifredface.gif
post #1197 of 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by nero355 View Post

Well... it works FLAWLESS biggrin.gifthumb.gif

I forgot that the motherboard has TWO PLX CHIPS and you basically control them and their link type/speed to the PCIe slots!

My i7 3930K for example has 40 PCIe 2.0 lanes :

- 8x 2.0 of these go to the LSI 2308 and when you set the Link Speed for the LSI controller you control the controller's link speed, not the link itself with the CPU!

Then :
- 16x 2.0 go to the upper PLX chip.
- Another 16x 2.0 go to the lower PLX chip.

And then the PLX chips each have their links to a number of PCIe slots :
- The upper has slots 1 to 3 : 16x/8x/8x or 16x/0x/16x
- The lower has 4 to 7 : 8x/8x/8x/8x or 0/16x/0x/16x
And all these are PCIe 3.0 !!


That's it! smile.gif


But when you forget this stuff then... you forget to change settings! rolleyes.gifredface.gif

Great. So it is working fine now correct?

Cheers!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1198 of 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackk View Post

Great. So it is working fine now correct?
Like I said : FLAWLESS!!! thumb.gifbiggrin.gif
Quote:
Cheers!
drunken.gif
post #1199 of 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by nero355 View Post

Like I said : FLAWLESS!!! thumb.gifbiggrin.gif
drunken.gif

Oh great! sorry man didn't see the first line when i first looked at your reply. Nice of you to reply again thumb.gif

Cheers!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.2GHz Offset -0.05 ASRock Extrteme 11 EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate EVGA 680 + 4GB with backplate 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
32GB (8x4GB) Ripjaw Z Series Quad Channel @1866 C9 Cosair Force GT 2x240GB Intel RAID 0 4 x Seagate 3TB 7200rpm LSI RAID 10 Antec 920 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell u2711 XFX Black Series Platinum 1000 watts Coolermaster Cosmo II 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › ASRock X79 Extreme 11 Owners Issues & Hopefully Fixes