Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Need Suggestions, critiques on build.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Suggestions, critiques on build. - Page 2

Poll Results: What would you rate it for the price?

 
  • 30% (3)
    2.5/10 Horrible
  • 30% (3)
    5/10 Ok
  • 40% (4)
    7.5/10 Works
  • 0% (0)
    8-10/10 Very nice for that price.
10 Total Votes  
post #11 of 23
Note that you will need to heavily overclock your Phenom in order to achieve satisfactory performance (at least 4.0ghz). If you're not comfortable doing so, or don't want to spend the time doing so, an i3-2120 + h61 or b75 mobo will be better for you (about $180 for the pair).

For HDD, you don't want a green drive if it's your main drive you're running everything off of. There's a 1TB seagate barracuda for $100 at newegg or us.ncix.com right now though.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

Note that you will need to heavily overclock your Phenom in order to achieve satisfactory performance (at least 4.0ghz). If you're not comfortable doing so, or don't want to spend the time doing so, an i3-2120 + h61 or b75 mobo will be better for you (about $180 for the pair).
For HDD, you don't want a green drive if it's your main drive you're running everything off of. There's a 1TB seagate barracuda for $100 at newegg or us.ncix.com right now though.

I don't plan on Overclocking , i use this forums because i know that there are alot of people with tons of experience with computers for the time being i won't be overclocking anything but really an i3 seems like very little performance 2 cores? i don't think i can do that.
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinoxide View Post

Same thing with the PSU.
Here is a list I compiled for you.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dOv6
If your budget allows, I would hop on one of fofamits psu suggestions.

This is an excellent build! Just switch out to the processor and mobo that you want. Windows 7 is only $100 for the home edition.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbati View Post

I don't plan on Overclocking , i use this forums because i know that there are alot of people with tons of experience with computers for the time being i won't be overclocking anything but really an i3 seems like very little performance 2 cores? i don't think i can do that.

To add to this, yes 2 cores is often enough for most things currently. However a lot of newer games are taking advantage of 4+ cores, BF3 for example has a difference from 2 to 4 cores by the number of AI controlled NPCs in game so 4 cores is going to be the new "in" amount of cores in the future. (minor difference but serves as an example)
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
1090T Asus Crosshair V Formula MSI GTX 470 Twin Frozr II MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE (Unlocked to 470) 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Kingston HyperX Black Ice GTX420 Black Ice GTX280 Swiftech 655 
CoolingCoolingOSKeyboard
Swiftech MCres Micro Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Professional x64 Steel Series 7G 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 1000W Modular NZXT Switch 810 Logitech MX Performance 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
1090T Asus Crosshair V Formula MSI GTX 470 Twin Frozr II MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr II GE (Unlocked to 470) 
RAMCoolingCoolingCooling
Kingston HyperX Black Ice GTX420 Black Ice GTX280 Swiftech 655 
CoolingCoolingOSKeyboard
Swiftech MCres Micro Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Professional x64 Steel Series 7G 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ZX 1000W Modular NZXT Switch 810 Logitech MX Performance 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbati View Post

I don't plan on Overclocking , i use this forums because i know that there are alot of people with tons of experience with computers for the time being i won't be overclocking anything but really an i3 seems like very little performance 2 cores? i don't think i can do that.

If you don't plan on overclocking, it's just stupid to get a Phenom II x4. An i3 will be superior in essentially every possible application. Don't forget it has hyperthreading, which gives it at least a small edge on programs that can use 4 threads.

Don't believe me? Check the benchmarks of basically any CPU review released after the i3.

If you do get the Phenom II x4 because MOAR COARS, then at least learn to overclock. Not doing so will simply mean (relatively) bad performance for gaming.

(Edit: why is this so? The i3 has better IPC - instructions per clock. This means that Intel ghz are better than AMD ghz, and the i3 will be more powerful per-core. This is at a premium with games. You can make most of this up with AMD chips by overclocking - increasing their ghz - but without overclocking AMD chips are clearly inferior for gaming.)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

If you don't plan on overclocking, it's just stupid to get a Phenom II x4. An i3 will be superior in essentially every possible application. Don't forget it has hyperthreading, which gives it at least a small edge on programs that can use 4 threads.
Don't believe me? Check the benchmarks of basically any CPU review released after the i3.
If you do get the Phenom II x4 because MOAR COARS, then at least learn to overclock. Not doing so will simply mean (relatively) bad performance for gaming.
(Edit: why is this so? The i3 has better IPC - instructions per clock. This means that Intel ghz are better than AMD ghz, and the i3 will be more powerful per-core. This is at a premium with games. You can make most of this up with AMD chips by overclocking - increasing their ghz - but without overclocking AMD chips are clearly inferior for gaming.)

I have basic knowledge of overclocking but nowhere near enough to do it can you give me a link to a thread that has some sort of guide , and also will this overclocking be so much that i need a high end Fan?
Edited by davidbati - 8/4/12 at 10:42am
post #17 of 23
I haven't owned an AMD Phenom II or Bulldozer CPU, so I can't give you advice there. My last AMD CPU was an Athlon 64 X2 (loved that little bastard, lasted so long).

I'd just say avoid the hassle and go for the i3, since even a heavily overclocked AMD chip is only going to equal it in gaming performance. But I'm sure there's some guides in the stickies of the AMD General or AMD CPUs forums.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

I haven't owned an AMD Phenom II or Bulldozer CPU, so I can't give you advice there. My last AMD CPU was an Athlon 64 X2 (loved that little bastard, lasted so long).
I'd just say avoid the hassle and go for the i3, since even a heavily overclocked AMD chip is only going to equal it in gaming performance. But I'm sure there's some guides in the stickies of the AMD General or AMD CPUs forums.

can you let me know which is best?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128555

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115092
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121529
post #19 of 23
The advantage of the first comes from the motherboard: you'll have USB 3.0, including an internal header for the front panel on cheap cases like the Antec One. Also, a SATA3 port for full use of an SSD if you ever upgrade that route.

The second combo is a tiny, tiny bit faster than the first, but probably not worth the money. Though if the motherboard advantages above don't seem great, you could just use the cheaper of both pairs.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

The advantage of the first comes from the motherboard: you'll have USB 3.0, including an internal header for the front panel on cheap cases like the Antec One. Also, a SATA3 port for full use of an SSD if you ever upgrade that route.
The second combo is a tiny, tiny bit faster than the first, but probably not worth the money. Though if the motherboard advantages above don't seem great, you could just use the cheaper of both pairs.

i'll go with the first combo , one last question and im sorry to ask so much but would there be any problem with my card and this Mobo since the card is Crossfire
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Need Suggestions, critiques on build.