Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TH] - No Booting Straight to Desktop in Windows 8
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TH] - No Booting Straight to Desktop in Windows 8 - Page 16  

post #151 of 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post

I don't like Aero but use it. My real complaint is that I can't separate color preferences for the taskbar and windows. I hate moving a window under the taskbar and it blocking the name of the windows open. It's irritating you can't change the colors and opacity separately, but that you can't even change the color of the text in the taskbar without editing some hexdecimal code in the system.

Don't worry, I'm sure Microsoft will sell an app for that for $5.99 in their Microsoft Store. wink.gif
post #152 of 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Don't worry, I'm sure Microsoft will sell an app for that for $5.99 in their Microsoft Store. wink.gif

Aero doesn't exist in W8, so I'm not mad about it. But I wish they thought about it when they were designing W7.
post #153 of 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post

My real complaint is that I can't separate color preferences for the taskbar and windows.

100% agree. That is my biggest complaint too.
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
post #154 of 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post


I feel this Win8 hate will fade away soon after release. It's very cheap to upgrade Win7 to Win8, and I see many people doing it. Most of the hate is from users who have never even tried the OS.

Sry man, too late. This thread made me realize that M$ will force more and more users to the way they want and force applications to us eventually to make money (something very similar to ads) and remove every customization and choice and the ability to personalize your computer. The problems is not Metro, it's MS actions.

If MS wants to play this way, I better go with the company that plays that game better. So today, I went and bought that Retina Macbook ( I was interested to see how it looks anyway) and I will transfer my Adobe suite to Osx. By tomorrow, I will have re-installed Ubuntu on my system and I' will try to relearn some few tricks here and there. Be sure though, I will keep my W7 for as long as it lasts. The only reason I need windows is for games and some programs but since those programs (that I use daily for my work and projects) work fine on Apple's Os then what is more important in the first place.

If I'm not free to use my OS (that I paid) the way I want, there is a point where complaining has its limits and choices start coming to the surface.
Nameless
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Sabertooth z77 2x 7970  Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardCase
Ocz Vertex 3 Ek Supreme HF (Nickel, Avoid) WASD Semi-Custom v1 Cosmos S 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathadder 3.5g Sennheiser 25 II 
  hide details  
Nameless
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Sabertooth z77 2x 7970  Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardCase
Ocz Vertex 3 Ek Supreme HF (Nickel, Avoid) WASD Semi-Custom v1 Cosmos S 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathadder 3.5g Sennheiser 25 II 
  hide details  
post #155 of 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

100% agree. That is my biggest complaint too.
I'm not sure whether you're joking or serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew grp View Post

Sry man, too late. This thread made me realize that M$ will force more and more users to the way they want and force applications to us eventually to make money (something very similar to ads) and remove every customization and choice and the ability to personalize your computer. The problems is not Metro, it's MS actions.
If MS wants to play this way, I better go with the company that plays that game better. So today, I went and bought that Retina Macbook ( I was interested to see how it looks anyway) and I will transfer my Adobe suite to Osx. By tomorrow, I will have re-installed Ubuntu on my system and I' will try to relearn some few tricks here and there. Be sure though, I will keep my W7 for as long as it lasts. The only reason I need windows is for games and some programs but since those programs (that I use daily for my work and projects) work fine on Apple's Os then what is more important in the first place.
If I'm not free to use my OS (that I paid) the way I want, there is a point where complaining has its limits and choices start coming to the surface.

A lot of talk about how MS should appease users' every whim and desire when you haven't purchased the OS or will likely use your university details to get it for free, or otherwise. Do you think companies keep existing one bonehead decision after another?
post #156 of 527
I have been giving Windows 8 an honest benefit of the doubt on my rig for a few days now. It's a great OS, to be 110% perfectly honest. I do, however DESPISE Metro. I have a 2560x1600, 30" monitor. I'm sorry, but I cannot STAND being forced to run my internet browser full screen. If Metro wasn't forcing everything full screen, and only one "app" at a time, I'd be a lot more happy with it.

By the way, "ClassicShell". wink.gif Enough said. This article is bogus, there's plenty of ways to disable Metro and restore the Start Menu. The Start Menu folders itself are ALL still there, in the same exact spots as they are in 7 and Vista.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
post #157 of 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post

Aero doesn't exist in W8, so I'm not mad about it. But I wish they thought about it when they were designing W7.

I know, I was commenting about the colors thing.

Another thing that Microsoft axed in Windows 8 that I liked ... Gadgets.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/personalize/gadgets
post #158 of 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post

Do you think companies keep existing one bonehead decision after another?

Windows BOB anyone?






Oh, how about ...






biggrin.gifthumb.gif
post #159 of 527
I give it 6 weeks tops after launch and someone will find a hack to boot straight to desktop. And then maybe, maybe, I will consider it. Until then... I paid real $$ for 7 and I like it. What does 8 offer that is "better"? Ooooh, big ass icons. No. HELL NO. Is it free? Then NO.

Nope. NO. Uh-uh. Negative.

Until I change my mind that is.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600k Asus Z170 Pro Gamer EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SC 16GB Patriot DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 250gb WD Black 1TB $15 SATA LG DVD+RW that serves as a drink holder Coolermaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 Home Acer K272HUL 1440p x2 Azio $15 mushy USB keyboard Thermaltake 850w modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P100 Logitech M510 Steelseries QCK+ x2 Soundblaster X-FI Titanium 
Audio
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600k Asus Z170 Pro Gamer EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SC 16GB Patriot DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 250gb WD Black 1TB $15 SATA LG DVD+RW that serves as a drink holder Coolermaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 Home Acer K272HUL 1440p x2 Azio $15 mushy USB keyboard Thermaltake 850w modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P100 Logitech M510 Steelseries QCK+ x2 Soundblaster X-FI Titanium 
Audio
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
  hide details  
post #160 of 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

I have been giving Windows 8 an honest benefit of the doubt on my rig for a few days now. It's a great OS, to be 110% perfectly honest. I do, however DESPISE Metro. I have a 2560x1600, 30" monitor. I'm sorry, but I cannot STAND being forced to run my internet browser full screen. If Metro wasn't forcing everything full screen, and only one "app" at a time, I'd be a lot more happy with it.
By the way, "ClassicShell". wink.gif Enough said. This article is bogus, there's plenty of ways to disable Metro and restore the Start Menu. The Start Menu folders itself are ALL still there, in the same exact spots as they are in 7 and Vista.

See, this is an issue for me. I run to above average sized monitors and prefer not to have my browsers maximized because it's a waste of space, and I like seeing my desktop background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I know, I was commenting about the colors thing.
Another thing that Microsoft axed in Windows 8 that I liked ... Gadgets.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/personalize/gadgets

Weren't gadgets removed recently due to security concerns? When I started using W7, there wasn't anything interesting and a lot of it looked trashy. The only widgets that were ever aesthetically pleasing were the ones Yahoo! bought and developed. Of course Rainmeter blows away the competition away, IMO.

Rambling aside, check this out.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/18b53644-6c6b-4d32-820a-53134a0913f3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TH] - No Booting Straight to Desktop in Windows 8