Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Weird noise from laptop speakers, sounds like russian radio loop?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weird noise from laptop speakers, sounds like russian radio loop? - Page 2

post #11 of 28
I cleaned up the audio as best I could, and using what Russian I remember, I hear no "9" nor do I hear "parameter". Stuff I could make out were "Zhe pap" which fits into the rest of the words I can't make out and "kilometr" or kilometer. The man also says "Harasho" pronounced with a K and a guttural zho at the end. Not a Moscow dialect, not one I was exposed to. That's the best I can make of it.

I'd venture to say your speakers are picking up a shortwave signal of a weather beacon report or some type of signal station. I couldn't clean out some gusting sound. Wind would be my guess. The frequency for the static was too high to be normal static.
Edited by SwitchFX - 8/10/12 at 5:31pm
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
I could, but since the issue has vanished I woud have no way of finding out whether that helped (nor any reason to do so either).

Well, case closed unless it returns.
SephilimIII
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus HD 7770 G.Skill RipjawsX 4x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Western Digital Caviar Black Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LiteOn iHAS124 rev.B Noctua NH-D15 Win7x64 2x Eizo EV2736WFS LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Topre Realforce 105UFB Zalman ZM600-HP Corsair Obsidian 550D Kensington Expert Ball 
AudioAudioAudio
Logitech X-230 Speedlink Medusa NX Logitech Z-640 
  hide details  
Reply
SephilimIII
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus HD 7770 G.Skill RipjawsX 4x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Western Digital Caviar Black Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LiteOn iHAS124 rev.B Noctua NH-D15 Win7x64 2x Eizo EV2736WFS LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Topre Realforce 105UFB Zalman ZM600-HP Corsair Obsidian 550D Kensington Expert Ball 
AudioAudioAudio
Logitech X-230 Speedlink Medusa NX Logitech Z-640 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 28
Yeah, it's rather interesting. A bit creepy, but a bit cool as well.
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchFX View Post

Yeah, it's rather interesting. A bit creepy, but a bit cool as well.

Yeah, it's slightly cool too biggrin.gif but indeed, I would rule out all radio interference since I can indeed record it from line-out on software level, so it should be there before digital-analog -transformation.
SephilimIII
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus HD 7770 G.Skill RipjawsX 4x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Western Digital Caviar Black Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LiteOn iHAS124 rev.B Noctua NH-D15 Win7x64 2x Eizo EV2736WFS LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Topre Realforce 105UFB Zalman ZM600-HP Corsair Obsidian 550D Kensington Expert Ball 
AudioAudioAudio
Logitech X-230 Speedlink Medusa NX Logitech Z-640 
  hide details  
Reply
SephilimIII
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus HD 7770 G.Skill RipjawsX 4x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Western Digital Caviar Black Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LiteOn iHAS124 rev.B Noctua NH-D15 Win7x64 2x Eizo EV2736WFS LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Topre Realforce 105UFB Zalman ZM600-HP Corsair Obsidian 550D Kensington Expert Ball 
AudioAudioAudio
Logitech X-230 Speedlink Medusa NX Logitech Z-640 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 28
A little curious has the problem come back yet?
post #16 of 28
Sounds like an air traffic controller to me. Working construction we used 2 way radios and at one work site we could not only hear the controller but actually got into a conversation with him. He wasn't happy frown.gif Do you live near any airports?
Main system
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7  3 x Sapphire 7950 16 GB GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 2x Samsung F1 Samsung TFC 480, 360, BI 140. EK 250 res. 355 with XSP... Win 7 + Vista 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Catleap Corsair K90 EVGA 1300 G2 Corsair 800d 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Coolermaster Spawn Ratpad Soundblaster XFi HD Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7  3 x Sapphire 7950 16 GB GSkill 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 SSD 2x Samsung F1 Samsung TFC 480, 360, BI 140. EK 250 res. 355 with XSP... Win 7 + Vista 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Catleap Corsair K90 EVGA 1300 G2 Corsair 800d 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Coolermaster Spawn Ratpad Soundblaster XFi HD Logitech Z5500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 28
could it be a radio? my pc randomly started playing the radio when i was a little.

like, does it have any radio feature?
post #18 of 28
Sometimes I think there are code monkeys out there who bury this random, completely insane crap in the untraceable guts of the firmware of electronics...

Back in my Quake1 days I used to play with .bat files a lot to see just how much I could tweak the game from there. Some of you might remember an unofficial expansion pack called the Killer Quake Pack, or something along those lines. There was a batch file in there that every time I opened it the only letter I could type was "D", and after closing it without saving anything Quake would not run until I reinstalled. I have no idea how they pulled that one off, or if it was some crazy glitch in my operating system. Windows 95 at the time I believe?....

I had a TX-89 calculator that would randomly freeze with an empty chessboard on the screen once a month or so. I can guarantee it was a chessboard and not just checkered boxes because it had the number and letters for the grid on the side.

I had a first generation Sega Genesis as a kid and occasionally when I'd borrow my friend's 32x and pop it in (I was convinced that one day I'd rent a game and find that it did more than just change the colors of it) the TV would go either Red, Green, or Blue and fill with random words with random letters replaced with a "☻" or solid Square, which I can't remember the key combination for. But it was either all ☻'s or all squares, never both on screen at the same time.

Had some outdated USB drivers on a computer once that would play random tones through my speakers at random times, at random volumes. It took me weeks to figure out. And no, they weren't USB speakers.

When I was a wee kid I had a Nikko RC car that for some reason stopped working. Naturally reluctant to throw away one of my favorite toys I just let it gather dust in my closet. Weeks later it started, and I swear this is the best way to describe it, twitching. For split seconds the servo controlling the steering and the motor would activate and cause it to randomly jerk around, accompanied with the noise of these parts running. I turned the power switch off repeatedly, removed the battery pack and the battery from the remote and it continued. For days.... I started wearing the same clothes because I was afraid to open my closet door. I eventually gathered up the nerve to take it out in the woods and smash it with a tree limb after two sleepless nights when it was twitching so often and so loudly that I could not go to sleep. I was too scared to even tell my parents. To this day I have no doubt that if I had had the wit to write down what it was doing I would have found a pattern.
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Sometimes I think there are code monkeys out there who bury this random, completely insane crap in the untraceable guts of the firmware of electronics...

Back in my Quake1 days I used to play with .bat files a lot to see just how much I could tweak the game from there. Some of you might remember an unofficial expansion pack called the Killer Quake Pack, or something along those lines. There was a batch file in there that every time I opened it the only letter I could type was "D", and after closing it without saving anything Quake would not run until I reinstalled. I have no idea how they pulled that one off, or if it was some crazy glitch in my operating system. Windows 95 at the time I believe?....

I had a TX-89 calculator that would randomly freeze with an empty chessboard on the screen once a month or so. I can guarantee it was a chessboard and not just checkered boxes because it had the number and letters for the grid on the side.

I had a first generation Sega Genesis as a kid and occasionally when I'd borrow my friend's 32x and pop it in (I was convinced that one day I'd rent a game and find that it did more than just change the colors of it) the TV would go either Red, Green, or Blue and fill with random words with random letters replaced with a "☻" or solid Square, which I can't remember the key combination for. But it was either all ☻'s or all squares, never both on screen at the same time.

Had some outdated USB drivers on a computer once that would play random tones through my speakers at random times, at random volumes. It took me weeks to figure out. And no, they weren't USB speakers.

When I was a wee kid I had a Nikko RC car that for some reason stopped working. Naturally reluctant to throw away one of my favorite toys I just let it gather dust in my closet. Weeks later it started, and I swear this is the best way to describe it, twitching. For split seconds the servo controlling the steering and the motor would activate and cause it to randomly jerk around, accompanied with the noise of these parts running. I turned the power switch off repeatedly, removed the battery pack and the battery from the remote and it continued. For days.... I started wearing the same clothes because I was afraid to open my closet door. I eventually gathered up the nerve to take it out in the woods and smash it with a tree limb after two sleepless nights when it was twitching so often and so loudly that I could not go to sleep. I was too scared to even tell my parents. To this day I have no doubt that if I had had the wit to write down what it was doing I would have found a pattern.
Dude I think your electronics are haunted nuff said.
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onex View Post

A little curious has the problem come back yet?
Nope, nothing so far. I've kept volume quite high in case it comes back, so that I'd hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac11 View Post

Sounds like an air traffic controller to me. Working construction we used 2 way radios and at one work site we could not only hear the controller but actually got into a conversation with him. He wasn't happy frown.gif Do you live near any airports?
Nope, the closest one is maybe 15-20 kilometres away. A colleague did think it could have been an over-flying aircraft, and Russia is our beloved neighbour, but that seems a bit far-fetched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolite View Post

could it be a radio? my pc randomly started playing the radio when i was a little. like, does it have any radio feature?
Shouldn't have FM radio, but it does have a 3G modem (no SIM card in it), bluetooth and WLAN up to 802.11n, 2.4 & 5 GHz. Again, none of those should receive radio like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Sometimes I think there are code monkeys out there who bury this random, completely insane crap in the untraceable guts of the firmware of electronics...
Back in my Quake1 days I used to play with .bat files a lot to see just how much I could tweak the game from there. Some of you might remember an unofficial expansion pack called the Killer Quake Pack, or something along those lines. There was a batch file in there that every time I opened it the only letter I could type was "D", and after closing it without saving anything Quake would not run until I reinstalled. I have no idea how they pulled that one off, or if it was some crazy glitch in my operating system. Windows 95 at the time I believe?....
I had a TX-89 calculator that would randomly freeze with an empty chessboard on the screen once a month or so. I can guarantee it was a chessboard and not just checkered boxes because it had the number and letters for the grid on the side.
I had a first generation Sega Genesis as a kid and occasionally when I'd borrow my friend's 32x and pop it in (I was convinced that one day I'd rent a game and find that it did more than just change the colors of it) the TV would go either Red, Green, or Blue and fill with random words with random letters replaced with a "☻" or solid Square, which I can't remember the key combination for. But it was either all ☻'s or all squares, never both on screen at the same time.
Had some outdated USB drivers on a computer once that would play random tones through my speakers at random times, at random volumes. It took me weeks to figure out. And no, they weren't USB speakers.
When I was a wee kid I had a Nikko RC car that for some reason stopped working. Naturally reluctant to throw away one of my favorite toys I just let it gather dust in my closet. Weeks later it started, and I swear this is the best way to describe it, twitching. For split seconds the servo controlling the steering and the motor would activate and cause it to randomly jerk around, accompanied with the noise of these parts running. I turned the power switch off repeatedly, removed the battery pack and the battery from the remote and it continued. For days.... I started wearing the same clothes because I was afraid to open my closet door. I eventually gathered up the nerve to take it out in the woods and smash it with a tree limb after two sleepless nights when it was twitching so often and so loudly that I could not go to sleep. I was too scared to even tell my parents. To this day I have no doubt that if I had had the wit to write down what it was doing I would have found a pattern.
I think lesser men would have already succumbed to overwhelming technophobia at that point biggrin.gif
SephilimIII
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus HD 7770 G.Skill RipjawsX 4x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Western Digital Caviar Black Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LiteOn iHAS124 rev.B Noctua NH-D15 Win7x64 2x Eizo EV2736WFS LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Topre Realforce 105UFB Zalman ZM600-HP Corsair Obsidian 550D Kensington Expert Ball 
AudioAudioAudio
Logitech X-230 Speedlink Medusa NX Logitech Z-640 
  hide details  
Reply
SephilimIII
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus HD 7770 G.Skill RipjawsX 4x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung Spinpoint F1 Western Digital Caviar Black Samsung 840 Pro SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LiteOn iHAS124 rev.B Noctua NH-D15 Win7x64 2x Eizo EV2736WFS LED 27" 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Topre Realforce 105UFB Zalman ZM600-HP Corsair Obsidian 550D Kensington Expert Ball 
AudioAudioAudio
Logitech X-230 Speedlink Medusa NX Logitech Z-640 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Weird noise from laptop speakers, sounds like russian radio loop?