Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards - Page 154

post #1531 of 6967
hay Totally Dubbed can you help me with the offset and power options now that i have found my min stable volt for 4.5ghz .
post #1532 of 6967
I think I am in the same situation as Morta.

Finished 12 hours of Prime95: 4.4, 1.240 vCore idle, 1.268 vCore load, max core temp 85. Based on my temps I am not sure 4.5 is possible without delidding. I guess the worst than can happen if I try is I am out $229 right?

Any suggestions on fine tweaking of these 4.4 settings? Is the next step testing various levels of CPU PLL Voltage, testing any other levels on the DIGI+ bios page, or try offset mode now?
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1533 of 6967
Quote:
Originally Posted by morta View Post

hay Totally Dubbed can you help me with the offset and power options now that i have found my min stable volt for 4.5ghz .

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

I think I am in the same situation as Morta.
Finished 12 hours of Prime95: 4.4, 1.240 vCore idle, 1.268 vCore load, max core temp 85. Based on my temps I am not sure 4.5 is possible without delidding. I guess the worst than can happen if I try is I am out $229 right?
Any suggestions on fine tweaking of these 4.4 settings? Is the next step testing various levels of CPU PLL Voltage, testing any other levels on the DIGI+ bios page, or try offset mode now?

Of course lads!

First of all:
Temps can be driven down with the reduction of LLC - however be warned when doing that, it can also reduce stability.
to be honest the difference between 4.4 and 4.5 will be hard to notice.


For offset - it is very simple:

First of all, you should know your MANUAL vcore:
In my case it was 1.265 for 4.5ghz.

Then you take your VID - now the VID can be found, via Core temp - a program used for monitoring temps.
You'll see VID there.

Now your VID, like your voltage fluctuates with load.
So what you want to do is hit up Prime 95, and put it under the same load that you used for stability on your manual settings.

Leave P95 running for around 5-10mins.
Then look at your VID - your VID WILL fluctuate, even on load, but take both notes down for the amount it is at.

In my case it was fluctuating between: 1.2209 & 1.2260
As 1.2209 was more frequent I took that figure.

The simple maths:
(MANUAL vcore) MINUS (VID on 100% load) = offset value

SO for me it was: 1.265-1.2209 = 0.0441
Rounded, that's 0.045 - and that was my offset.

Your offset CAN BE negative OR POSITIVE.

If you VID is larger than your vcore, thne you'll have a NEGATIVE offset: ie (-0.045)

Hope that helps! thumb.gif
post #1534 of 6967
Hey I have a Hyper 212+ for right now, it's set for the 1156 socket, dunno if I can just take it out, and stick it in the 1155 socket. Does anyone know?

If not, is the stock cooler OK at stock clocks until I can get an h80 or something?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 PNY Quadro K5000  16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Velociraptor 1TB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (AD Inventor on it) Samsung DVD/CD burner/reader, pretty basic Custom WC 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" 2560*1600 Razer BlackWidow mech. keyboard Antec EA650 platinum series 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-7B Razer Abyssus mah desk Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3930K Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 PNY Quadro K5000  16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Velociraptor 1TB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (AD Inventor on it) Samsung DVD/CD burner/reader, pretty basic Custom WC 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" 2560*1600 Razer BlackWidow mech. keyboard Antec EA650 platinum series 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-7B Razer Abyssus mah desk Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1535 of 6967
thanks man i will try. one other question.I went to install the lucidlogix virtu MVP thing and in order to do this i had to enable the multimoniter thing in bios.do i need to have this constantly enabled for the lucidlogix to function in OS or is it just the installing process that has to have multimonitor enabled.and if so will having it enabled effect the overclock i have done following ur setup.sorry for all the questions. so much to learn.
post #1536 of 6967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonka16 View Post

Hey I have a Hyper 212+ for right now, it's set for the 1156 socket, dunno if I can just take it out, and stick it in the 1155 socket. Does anyone know?
If not, is the stock cooler OK at stock clocks until I can get an h80 or something?

1156/1155 have the same spacing. It will work.
post #1537 of 6967
Totally Dubbed,
Thanks again for all the help. When you say "Temps can be driven down with the reduction of LLC - however be warned when doing that, it can also reduce stability" does that mean just changing "ultra high" to high or medium then try Prime95 for 12 hours and see what happens? Is there anything else to adjust when you turn that down or just that one setting?
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1538 of 6967
Hey guys, I finally finished my 1st prime95 Test(15min) and my 1st attempt at overclocking.

Thank you for this great guide!

I followed the settings as exactly shown. I've set the multiplier to x44 with "Auto" CPU Manual Voltage.

Running Windows 8 Pro with Asus Sabertooth BIOS 1708 paired with i5 3570k with a NH-D14.

I ran Prime95 with 90% ava. memory . 15min test on auto Voltage. (picture attached).

A few questions:
1) Under your Picture for Prime95 it shows you have "8" Number of Torture test threads to run: I can only do 4. Is that correct?

2) Under "How I stress Test"

It says set ratio to 43 and tune Voltage to 1.20 Manual. Where do you set this

i) 1-Core Ratio Limit (Under AI Tweaker: Synchronizing Target CPU Turbo-Mode)
ii) CPU Ratio (Under AI Tweaker CPU Power Management)
iii) CPU Ratio (Under Advance -CPU CIE section)

Do you set the desired multiplier in all 3 areas or only a specific one?


3) How do i know Prime95 isn't stable besides BSOD? I've read there could be windows logs or etc? Where Can I find them?

4) I noticed when I closed Prime95 program my CPU was still running at 100%. I had to re-boot computer in order to stop the program. Is that normal?

5) I assume changing voltage is using the +/- in "CPU Manual Voltage"

6) My "auto-set" voltage was 1.328V during load at 78 max temps. I assume my HSF and TIM is ok?






Thanks guys! Sorry about these noob questions. First time i've used prime95 and overclocking.
post #1539 of 6967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonka16 View Post

Hey I have a Hyper 212+ for right now, it's set for the 1156 socket, dunno if I can just take it out, and stick it in the 1155 socket. Does anyone know?
If not, is the stock cooler OK at stock clocks until I can get an h80 or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickg1 View Post

1156/1155 have the same spacing. It will work.

As stickg said - they share the same spacing, however you will probably have to "rotate" the plate of the H80.

Stock cooler is also fine with stock clocks, but that said, i would never risk a stock cooler on such a processor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morta View Post

thanks man i will try. one other question.I went to install the lucidlogix virtu MVP thing and in order to do this i had to enable the multimoniter thing in bios.do i need to have this constantly enabled for the lucidlogix to function in OS or is it just the installing process that has to have multimonitor enabled.and if so will having it enabled effect the overclock i have done following ur setup.sorry for all the questions. so much to learn.

For that, you enable it int he bios, and that's it - the rest is software operated.
However, dude, if you got a graphics card, I would disable vitu and uninstall it - as its really made for people who don't have a great graphics card...or have on-board.
I found virtu screwed a lot of BF3 things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

Totally Dubbed,
Thanks again for all the help. When you say "Temps can be driven down with the reduction of LLC - however be warned when doing that, it can also reduce stability" does that mean just changing "ultra high" to high or medium then try Prime95 for 12 hours and see what happens? Is there anything else to adjust when you turn that down or just that one setting?

indeed that's what I mean.
LLC to med or high, will give you less alternations in voltages, thus lower temps, however when doing that, you might become unstable.
In other words, reaching higher OC's possibly like 4.5ghz might be impossible at a safe voltage with a med/high LLC.
This factor really depends on the individual chip.

If I were you I would settle for 4.4 - I had max temps of 92c though - so you got some lee-way till 105c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHamm View Post

Hey guys, I finally finished my 1st prime95 Test(15min) and my 1st attempt at overclocking.
Thank you for this great guide!
I followed the settings as exactly shown. I've set the multiplier to x44 with "Auto" CPU Manual Voltage.
Running Windows 8 Pro with Asus Sabertooth BIOS 1708 paired with i5 3570k with a NH-D14.
I ran Prime95 with 90% ava. memory . 15min test on auto Voltage. (picture attached).
A few questions:
1) Under your Picture for Prime95 it shows you have "8" Number of Torture test threads to run: I can only do 4. Is that correct?
2) Under "How I stress Test"
It says set ratio to 43 and tune Voltage to 1.20 Manual. Where do you set this
i) 1-Core Ratio Limit (Under AI Tweaker: Synchronizing Target CPU Turbo-Mode)
ii) CPU Ratio (Under AI Tweaker CPU Power Management)
iii) CPU Ratio (Under Advance -CPU CIE section)
Do you set the desired multiplier in all 3 areas or only a specific one?
3) How do i know Prime95 isn't stable besides BSOD? I've read there could be windows logs or etc? Where Can I find them?
4) I noticed when I closed Prime95 program my CPU was still running at 100%. I had to re-boot computer in order to stop the program. Is that normal?
5) I assume changing voltage is using the +/- in "CPU Manual Voltage"
6) My "auto-set" voltage was 1.328V during load at 78 max temps. I assume my HSF and TIM is ok?

Thanks guys! Sorry about these noob questions. First time i've used prime95 and overclocking.

Hi there!

1) yes, 8 is for threads, and as you got the i5 - that's 4.
2) All of them should be set - hopefully the screenshots will make more sense smile.gif
3) Prime is stable, if it doesn't: BSOD or fail a worker for an endless amount of hours. So if 1 worker in prime stops = unstable. If you get 1 BSOD = unstable.
4) Haha - you didn't stop prime. When you hit X on prime - it MINIMISES it to the task tray. You have to right click on the green prime icon, and click STOP workers - this will stop the workers smile.gif
5) Indeed
6) Don't know what you are referring too sorry! But usually if you are going to OC you need to manually change your voltage, "auto" won't cut it.
post #1540 of 6967
MrHamm,
Just add to Totally Dubbed's answers: as a noob myself I can tell you that copying every single setting from the first post here is key, you need to expand every section and every picture to make sure you have your bios exactly the same. I don't know if I would start with 44, 43 is probably better until you can run Prime95 as setup as the guide shows for 12 straight hours with zero errors, stopped workers, or even a hint of instability in any program. You set the 43 or 44 multiplier by clicking on "CPU Power Management" in Ai Tweaker then type in what you want in CPU Ratio, that number will automatically populate the 4 instances of it on the first Ai Tweaker page. After that the only thing you will change while testing is "CPU Manual Voltage" to try to find something that works. You can start with 1.200 and very slowly work your way higher while making sure none of your core temps go too high.

It is a long and tedious process but you have to find a reasonable overclock that you know is stable for 12 hours of stressing all the CPUs and 90% of your ram before you can try for higher overclocks.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards