Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards - Page 234

post #2331 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacoma79 View Post

What can I say I'm hard headed Lol

seriously not intentionally ignoring, just wondering why the system likes one set of timing versus another. Ram specs, here. Background: purchased kits separately, didn't buy them as single 16GB kit.

If it's my timings then should I just swap out the 1866s for 1600s? Seems the current aren't working out for me at stock timings

7hrs, where'd you get 7hrs from? Lol Did you mean in your case?

7hrs: I read that from your REAL TEMP reading and screenshot.

As for timings etc - It should run at:
9-9-9-24 2N @ 1866Mhz and 1.5v (go for 1.55v to be on the safe side).

As for purchased separately that's no problem as LONG as their specs are the same. If they run different speeds, timings, or even voltages - that's probably why you have been getting problems.

As for being hard headed - let me just put it this way:
I wish someone told me when I was having problems to test my RAM - no one really did, and I wasted 1 month. So if anything, just take it as someone making you aware of your ram, rather than "your vcore is too low"
post #2332 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

7hrs: I read that from your REAL TEMP reading and screenshot.

As for timings etc - It should run at:
9-9-9-24 2N @ 1866Mhz and 1.5v (go for 1.55v to be on the safe side).

As for purchased separately that's no problem as LONG as their specs are the same. If they run different speeds, timings, or even voltages - that's probably why you have been getting problems.

As for being hard headed - let me just put it this way:
I wish someone told me when I was having problems to test my RAM - no one really did, and I wasted 1 month. So if anything, just take it as someone making you aware of your ram, rather than "your vcore is too low"

Ah, didn't notice the timer on Realtemp, thanks for pointing that out. No look @ my prime screen started Jan 25 20:12 ended it @ Jan 26 08:23 (EST). Took the screenshot before I stopped the test. I think I must have accidentally closed RT by acciden at some point in the night then reopend. Lol

Wrt being hardheaded, we're guys it's in our nature. heh

Ok back to the bios I go!!!

+rep the advice
 
Git'er Done!
(14 items)
 
The Sleeper
(18 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 840T (Unlocked to x6) Asus M5A88-M Nvidia GTX 560TI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520  Crucial M4 Zalman LQ-310 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP2311x Logitech K350 OCZ ZT Series 750W Silverstone Sugo SG09 
MouseOther
Logitech G700 ASUS USB-N53 Wireless-N 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE Deneb Foxconn H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) VisionTek Radeon HD5670 2GB Kingston Hyper X Blu, 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 520 SSD 120GB Cherryville Intel 520 SSD 120GB Cherryville WD Caviar Green 1.5TB SuperMulti DVD Burner w/LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Delux infinity Nitro Series DLF-Q102 Windows 7 64-bit 2 x HP2311x LED monitors HP Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Internal 250W p6787c Logitech G700 Desk 
OtherOther
WEI Score 6.7 Internal SATA III PCIE Card 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Git'er Done!
(14 items)
 
The Sleeper
(18 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 840T (Unlocked to x6) Asus M5A88-M Nvidia GTX 560TI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520  Crucial M4 Zalman LQ-310 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP2311x Logitech K350 OCZ ZT Series 750W Silverstone Sugo SG09 
MouseOther
Logitech G700 ASUS USB-N53 Wireless-N 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE Deneb Foxconn H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) VisionTek Radeon HD5670 2GB Kingston Hyper X Blu, 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 520 SSD 120GB Cherryville Intel 520 SSD 120GB Cherryville WD Caviar Green 1.5TB SuperMulti DVD Burner w/LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Delux infinity Nitro Series DLF-Q102 Windows 7 64-bit 2 x HP2311x LED monitors HP Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Internal 250W p6787c Logitech G700 Desk 
OtherOther
WEI Score 6.7 Internal SATA III PCIE Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2333 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldman View Post

What happened when you ran Memtest86+ for several hours on your system with no CPU overclock, and stock timings and voltage for your ram (as shown on the box, the sticks, and the manufacturer's site)?

After a failed initial OC I ran the sticks through individually. That's when I found I had bad kit so RMA'd them to corsair. I know the other two are solid and new kits from corsair should be solid > hence the resistance to retesting RAM. Gonna try tweaks per TD, if things fall through I'll run my sticks through memtest...for 12 hours...on stock setting wheee.gif
 
Git'er Done!
(14 items)
 
The Sleeper
(18 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 840T (Unlocked to x6) Asus M5A88-M Nvidia GTX 560TI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520  Crucial M4 Zalman LQ-310 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP2311x Logitech K350 OCZ ZT Series 750W Silverstone Sugo SG09 
MouseOther
Logitech G700 ASUS USB-N53 Wireless-N 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE Deneb Foxconn H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) VisionTek Radeon HD5670 2GB Kingston Hyper X Blu, 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 520 SSD 120GB Cherryville Intel 520 SSD 120GB Cherryville WD Caviar Green 1.5TB SuperMulti DVD Burner w/LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Delux infinity Nitro Series DLF-Q102 Windows 7 64-bit 2 x HP2311x LED monitors HP Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Internal 250W p6787c Logitech G700 Desk 
OtherOther
WEI Score 6.7 Internal SATA III PCIE Card 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Git'er Done!
(14 items)
 
The Sleeper
(18 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 840T (Unlocked to x6) Asus M5A88-M Nvidia GTX 560TI Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520  Crucial M4 Zalman LQ-310 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP2311x Logitech K350 OCZ ZT Series 750W Silverstone Sugo SG09 
MouseOther
Logitech G700 ASUS USB-N53 Wireless-N 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE Deneb Foxconn H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) VisionTek Radeon HD5670 2GB Kingston Hyper X Blu, 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Intel 520 SSD 120GB Cherryville Intel 520 SSD 120GB Cherryville WD Caviar Green 1.5TB SuperMulti DVD Burner w/LightScribe 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Delux infinity Nitro Series DLF-Q102 Windows 7 64-bit 2 x HP2311x LED monitors HP Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Internal 250W p6787c Logitech G700 Desk 
OtherOther
WEI Score 6.7 Internal SATA III PCIE Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2334 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacoma79 View Post

After a failed initial OC I ran the sticks through individually. That's when I found I had bad kit so RMA'd them to corsair. I know the other two are solid and new kits from corsair should be solid > hence the resistance to retesting RAM. Gonna try tweaks per TD, if things fall through I'll run my sticks through memtest...for 12 hours...on stock setting wheee.gif

Let us know how it goes! smile.gif
post #2335 of 6970
I was able to get this, but I'm experimenting with various things. I checked Event Viewer for WHEA errors and none appear.

It all seems weird to me, the voltage I'm using is way low compared to others clocking at this speed, but then when I use their voltages my temps skyrocket to like 80+ at 1.12 and higher with more using a Hyper Evo 212.

Just so strange (Small FFT's)

post #2336 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature1ders View Post

I was able to get this, but I'm experimenting with various things. I checked Event Viewer for WHEA errors and none appear.

It all seems weird to me, the voltage I'm using is way low compared to others clocking at this speed, but then when I use their voltages my temps skyrocket to like 80+ at 1.12 and higher with more using a Hyper Evo 212.

Just so strange (Small FFT's)
What are you setting in BIOS for manual voltage? Are you saying you get good temps with 1.070 but high temps with 1.120?

Also one of your worker windows in Prime95 is not showing, you should click on Window->Tile to show them all. Are you just doing the small FFT test? You should test as the guide shows.

I would switch to Prime 27.9 (at least that is what people are saying to do):
http://www.overclock.net/t/137251/prime95/120#post_18813324
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2337 of 6970
Yes, maybe I goofed here, but I thought I saw on one of your posts that you had an Asus motherboard and Antec Kuhler 620. (I'll get my own specs up when I get some time.) Anyway, I think I found my answer: the ring that mounts with adhesive for the Antec cooler mounts on the BACK of the board, not the front----this was not stated in the instructions. I found a link to another poster's mounting instructions (totally dubbed, I think) and it solved my problem. At some point I'll give his instructions a try.

Thanks for replying and I would still be grateful for any hints you might have if you did indeed install this cooler on an Asus board.
post #2338 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post

Yes, maybe I goofed here, but I thought I saw on one of your posts that you had an Asus motherboard and Antec Kuhler 620. (I'll get my own specs up when I get some time.) Anyway, I think I found my answer: the ring that mounts with adhesive for the Antec cooler mounts on the BACK of the board, not the front----this was not stated in the instructions. I found a link to another poster's mounting instructions (totally dubbed, I think) and it solved my problem. At some point I'll give his instructions a try.

Thanks for replying and I would still be grateful for any hints you might have if you did indeed install this cooler on an Asus board.
You are correct, I switched from P8Z77-V Pro and Antec 620 to a Maximus V Formula with an H100i. I would strongly, repeat Strongly, advise not using the adhesive. It took me forever to get it off when I needed to take it back. If you can afford it I would go for the 920 like TD has, an H100i, or wait a few weeks for the Swiftech H220.

If you stay with the 620, then at most just use one side of the adhesive on the back plate, don't use the sticky part on the motherboard. You will have to hold it place though, I don't what your case will or will not allow. Also it is not easy to figure out how hard to screw it down because of those little blue plastic adapters, so be careful to screw it down carefully and evenly.

Here are some links for the 620:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1580/4/
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/antec_kuhler_h2o_620_review/index6.php
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2339 of 6970
Thanks for the info on the new Prime95 version, I will re-run the testing since I've nothing better to do today.

This is my motherboard P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT and I'm just using the BIOS to up the multiplier to 4.2 and setting the voltage in Windows 8 with ASUS Suite II to 1.070

It seems to work alright, I was told the ASUS Suite II auto-adjusts settings itself and I've no problem with the temps I'm seeing. Any advice? I'm going to run 4.2 at 1 Core Voltage and see how that works since my chart shows 4.1 runs at 1 we'll see.
post #2340 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature1ders View Post

Thanks for the info on the new Prime95 version, I will re-run the testing since I've nothing better to do today.

This is my motherboard P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT and I'm just using the BIOS to up the multiplier to 4.2 and setting the voltage in Windows 8 with ASUS Suite II to 1.070

It seems to work alright, I was told the ASUS Suite II auto-adjusts settings itself and I've no problem with the temps I'm seeing. Any advice? I'm going to run 4.2 at 1 Core Voltage and see how that works since my chart shows 4.1 runs at 1 we'll see.
Any advice?...
Well my advice, and it is free so take it for what its worth, is to stop what you are doing.

Do not use AI Suite II to do anything except a minor vCore bump when you are checking for a voltage to do a long test.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but it sounds like you are not following the guide here. My opinion is that is a huge mistake. Go back and set everything by hand in BIOS to match the guide, except for your ram timings and voltage which you look up and type in manually.

With your cooler you have to watch temps, so after setting up all of your BIOS pages to match the guide, maybe try 4.3 and see what voltages that takes and what your temps are. Don't let any core go over 90c while you are trying to figure all this out.
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy 5.0
(14 items)
 
Ivy 4.8
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k 5.0 24/7 Maximus V Formula EVGA GTX 690 G.Skill Trident X 2400 (2x8gb) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB Pioneer BD-RW Swiftech H220 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 x NEC 30" Logitech G15 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9x Logitech G51 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards