Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards - Page 698

post #6971 of 7025
Thanks for this guide, it has been very useful and it has helped me a lot getting started with my first experience with overclocking!

I have a question though.
When I'm trying to go from 4,6 to 4,7 ghz on my 3770k, I have to bump the vcore with approximately 0,13V in order to get I stable without WHEA errors, that's a huge step! I'm going from 1,29 to 1,42 vcore.

I have followed this guide and applied all the settings from the guide.

My setup:
Motherboard: Asus sabertooth z77 (latest bios)
CPU: 3770k
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair vengeance ddr3 @ 1866 MHz
GPU: Msi gtx 1070 gaming x
PSU: Corsair AX860
CPU cooler: corsair h80i gt

My temps at 4,6 are 75 Celsius at prime95 test and around 70 at gaming. The cpu is delidded.

So my question is: Is there something else that I can adjust in the bios in order to get the 4,7 overclock stable before my vcore gets this high?

Best regards
Nicolai
Edited by 9colai - 12/13/16 at 11:47pm
post #6972 of 7025
When you find the answer to that question. Let me know.
post #6973 of 7025
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9colai View Post

Thanks for this guide, it has been very useful and it has helped me a lot getting started with my first experience with overclocking!

I have a question though.
When I'm trying to go from 4,6 to 4,7 ghz on my 3770k, I have to bump the vcore with approximately 0,13V in order to get I stable without WHEA errors, that's a huge step! I'm going from 1,29 to 1,42 vcore.

I have followed this guide and applied all the settings from the guide.

My setup:
Motherboard: Asus sabertooth z77 (latest bios)
CPU: 3770k
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair vengeance ddr3 @ 1866 MHz
GPU: Msi gtx 1070 gaming x
PSU: Corsair AX860
CPU cooler: corsair h80i gt

My temps at 4,6 are 75 Celsius at prime95 test and around 70 at gaming. The cpu is delidded.

So my question is: Is there something else that I can adjust in the bios in order to get the 4,7 overclock stable before my vcore gets this high?

Best regards
Nicolai
I am by no means anything but a beginner but have you tried offset voltage?
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
PrimePC1
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930k ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM San Disk Ultra II Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc Swiftech H 240-X MS Windows 10 Pro Vizio 24" 1080p TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monito... Corsair K95 RGB EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Core None Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system Sound Blaster Zx 
OtherOther
NZXT Hue+  NZXT Grid+ V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6974 of 7025
personally if it took ~1.4v (when temps seem to really skyrocket!) to go from 4.6 to 4.7, i would go back to 1.29v. 100Mhz will hardly make a difference benchmarking let alone games.

one can try to slightly lower the PLL from 1.8 to decrease temps but that can lead to instability. but give it a go; lowering a tick or two at a time. thumb.gif
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #6975 of 7025
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

personally if it took ~1.4v (when temps seem to really skyrocket!) to go from 4.6 to 4.7, i would go back to 1.29v. 100Mhz will hardly make a difference benchmarking let alone games.

Agree
post #6976 of 7025
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ha7a5ian View Post

When you find the answer to that question. Let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

personally if it took ~1.4v (when temps seem to really skyrocket!) to go from 4.6 to 4.7, i would go back to 1.29v. 100Mhz will hardly make a difference benchmarking let alone games.

one can try to slightly lower the PLL from 1.8 to decrease temps but that can lead to instability. but give it a go; lowering a tick or two at a time. thumb.gif

Thanks for the replies all of you! I found out what did the trick. I reduced the PLL Voltage from 1.8 (auto) to 1.55V (at 1.5 my computer couldn't boot), and after that i could get my overclock at 4,7 GHz stable at 1,38 V. What a huge improvement!

Temps are not a big issue as i have Delidded my CPU and relidded with CLU. I'm getting max 70 degrees celcius when i game BF1 at 120 FPS.

Seems like I've hit a good spot for my CPU now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post

I am by no means anything but a beginner but have you tried offset voltage?

It's allright, yes i tried that :-).
post #6977 of 7025
had no idea lowering PLL would help lower vcore, just temps.

nice job!
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #6978 of 7025
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

had no idea lowering PLL would help lower vcore, just temps.

nice job!

Me neither. Don't know if it's common or I just got lucky. It seems like it's quite random with the PLL voltage, but it's definitely worth to play with it, if you don't see any progress in terms of stability when you increase Vcore, at higher clocks.
post #6979 of 7025
Hello,
Yesterday I installe my new 3770k.
The board is a P8Z68-V/Gen3.
I haven't had much time with it yet, but so far I settled for 4.6 ghz at 1.296v and memory at 2400 CL10-12-12-31-1T.

Is the voltage too high?
Thanks.
Cheers!
post #6980 of 7025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdourado View Post

Hello,
Yesterday I installe my new 3770k.
The board is a P8Z68-V/Gen3.
I haven't had much time with it yet, but so far I settled for 4.6 ghz at 1.296v and memory at 2400 CL10-12-12-31-1T.

Is the voltage too high?
Thanks.
Cheers!

Most people used to recommend 1.35 volts maximum for daily use, although others have pushed more for a long time. If your cooling solution can handle it at decent temps around 1.3 volts is no problem. I ran my 3570K at 1.32v or thereabouts for 4 years and it still does that today for reference.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards