Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards - Page 85

post #841 of 6790
Replying to thread for possible later use biggrin.gif!
Yumtime
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920@ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium GTX 470 SLI G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 12 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 R Samsung 830 Win7 Pro x64 Corsair 850W Mod PSU 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Yumtime
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920@ 4.0 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium GTX 470 SLI G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 12 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 R Samsung 830 Win7 Pro x64 Corsair 850W Mod PSU 
Case
HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #842 of 6790
Uhm so, from a reset bios i just changed the CPU ratio to 42 and kept voltage like it was (offset) and after stresstesting in prime95 with blend for 30 minutes it seems pretty set at 60-65c with core voltage at between 1.160v to 1.184v. Can i call it a day if i'm satisfied with 4.2?
post #843 of 6790
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ksthlm View Post

Uhm so, from a reset bios i just changed the CPU ratio to 42 and kept voltage like it was (offset) and after stresstesting in prime95 with blend for 30 minutes it seems pretty set at 60-65c with core voltage at between 1.160v to 1.184v. Can i call it a day if i'm satisfied with 4.2?

you need to prime for 12hrs, and start with manual voltage....
My Silent Beauty
(23 items)
 
Byte Sized
(15 items)
 
Reply
My Silent Beauty
(23 items)
 
Byte Sized
(15 items)
 
Reply
post #844 of 6790
ok, so at 4.2 with say.. manual voltage set to 1.2 and stress overnight to see if it's stable? 1.2 good starting point?
post #845 of 6790
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ksthlm View Post

ok, so at 4.2 with say.. manual voltage set to 1.2 and stress overnight to see if it's stable? 1.2 good starting point?

indeed - I bet you won't last 2hrs on 1.2 - but every chip is different - try 1.2, then go up and up from there, if it fails. Persistence and patience is the key here
My Silent Beauty
(23 items)
 
Byte Sized
(15 items)
 
Reply
My Silent Beauty
(23 items)
 
Byte Sized
(15 items)
 
Reply
post #846 of 6790
Thanks for being patient with me!
Two last things, when i increase the voltage it's like 1.2 > 1.21 > 1.22. Bump the second decimal in that way?
Also, when does the offset setting come into play? Do i switch to it when i am satisfied?
post #847 of 6790
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ksthlm View Post

Thanks for being patient with me!
Two last things, when i increase the voltage it's like 1.2 > 1.21 > 1.22. Bump the second decimal in that way?
Also, when does the offset setting come into play? Do i switch to it when i am satisfied?

Just hit the "+" key on your keyboard amigo. It goes up in 0.005's - ie: 1.2 / 1.205 / 1.21
As I said, slow but steady, but you'll be able to figure it out as to where your vcore lies.

Don't go over v1.35! You'll burn your chip.
Also MONITOR YOUR CPU TEMPS via core temp or real temp.

As for Offset:
You will work that out, after you get your manual voltage.
Basically, you have your manual voltage there to know what you're stable on, and what your chip needs to run the OC.
Once you know what it needs (say 1.265) - then you can work out the offset to save power.
In other words: Offset doesn't ALWAYS have your vcore at 1.265, which means -> power saving + less hot chip = win.

To calc the offset you would - take the VID off core temp whilst prime is running, and take your vcore (manual) you have in your bios.
then it is very simple:
vcore - vid = offset.

See my screenshots again of my bios & p95, it will help you understand what I'm talking about-hope that helps thumb.gif

@swag -> can i have a cookie biggrin.gif?
My Silent Beauty
(23 items)
 
Byte Sized
(15 items)
 
Reply
My Silent Beauty
(23 items)
 
Byte Sized
(15 items)
 
Reply
post #848 of 6790
3570K 4.5 @ 1.3vcore (45x100) (See CPUz in sig)

Sabertooth Z77

Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4 GB 1600Mhz

I work 6 nights a week, and don't trust leaving the system on prime95 testing while I'm gone. The hour I did do this, all was well. I had one "warning" but that was from the Motherboard I guess giving me some kind of warning pop up about voltage or something. It went away as quick as it showed up. Some said that's just normal?

Anywho. I have not messed with much else, but as I read these post's, I see a few things I could try. thinking.gif
Black Ivy
(22 items)
 
Dat old rig
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 64 x2 5000+ M2N-SLI GTS-250 DDR2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Western Digital Caviar Blue LG DVD RW CM Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Acer H233H 23" 1080P Logitech K120 BFG 550W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Nine Hundred Logitech M305 4 Port USB LED Pad Sound Blaster USB True Studio Pro 
Other
Generic Card Reader 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I can't C PU, but I smell it! yes she is photoshop yes, a new Dodge Ram 1500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
my car is hard driven everyday. Yes, I ware glases when I drive. yes, the AC is on. Oh yes! 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
I monitor everything piano much power I caught a case once 
MouseMouse PadAudio
her name is squeeky squeeky has a cage I can talk thank you. 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Ivy
(22 items)
 
Dat old rig
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 64 x2 5000+ M2N-SLI GTS-250 DDR2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Western Digital Caviar Blue LG DVD RW CM Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Acer H233H 23" 1080P Logitech K120 BFG 550W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Nine Hundred Logitech M305 4 Port USB LED Pad Sound Blaster USB True Studio Pro 
Other
Generic Card Reader 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I can't C PU, but I smell it! yes she is photoshop yes, a new Dodge Ram 1500 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
my car is hard driven everyday. Yes, I ware glases when I drive. yes, the AC is on. Oh yes! 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
I monitor everything piano much power I caught a case once 
MouseMouse PadAudio
her name is squeeky squeeky has a cage I can talk thank you. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #849 of 6790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantrill View Post

3570K 4.5 @ 1.3vcore (45x100) (See CPUz in sig)
Sabertooth Z77
Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4 GB 1600Mhz
I work 6 nights a week, and don't trust leaving the system on prime95 testing while I'm gone. The hour I did do this, all was well. I had one "warning" but that was from the Motherboard I guess giving me some kind of warning pop up about voltage or something. It went away as quick as it showed up. Some said that's just normal?
Anywho. I have not messed with much else, but as I read these post's, I see a few things I could try. thinking.gif

Oh those motherboard warnings.
Sure if you believe them, then my motherboard is at 127c atm tongue.gif! So yes, ignore them at your own judgement.

If you can't p95 it for long....well....at least run it for 1-2hrs with 5-10min intervals, or IBT it for 1hr

1.3 should be more than enough at 4.5
My Silent Beauty
(23 items)
 
Byte Sized
(15 items)
 
Reply
My Silent Beauty
(23 items)
 
Byte Sized
(15 items)
 
Reply
post #850 of 6790
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

Just hit the "+" key on your keyboard amigo. It goes up in 0.005's - ie: 1.2 / 1.205 / 1.21
As I said, slow but steady, but you'll be able to figure it out as to where your vcore lies.
Don't go over v1.35! You'll burn your chip.
Also MONITOR YOUR CPU TEMPS via core temp or real temp.
As for Offset:
You will work that out, after you get your manual voltage.
Basically, you have your manual voltage there to know what you're stable on, and what your chip needs to run the OC.
Once you know what it needs (say 1.265) - then you can work out the offset to save power.
In other words: Offset doesn't ALWAYS have your vcore at 1.265, which means -> power saving + less hot chip = win.
To calc the offset you would - take the VID off core temp whilst prime is running, and take your vcore (manual) you have in your bios.
then it is very simple:
vcore - vid = offset.
See my screenshots again of my bios & p95, it will help you understand what I'm talking about-hope that helps thumb.gif
@swag -> can i have a cookie biggrin.gif?

Thanks man, i decided for a 4.4 overclock with voltage manually set to 1.22 and i also lowered the CPU PLL voltage to 1.70000. Currently running blend which i will leave on for the next 12 hours then.
If it's still alive and kicking after that i can go ahead and adjust the offset and i'm set? If not i increase the voltage with baby steps. Think i got it!

Edit: Ugh, already hit 79c on two cores. Should i abort prime95 if i get over 80?
Edited by n1ksthlm - 11/16/12 at 11:14am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide ► Asus Motherboards