Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › AS Rock Extreme 4 Z77 not detecting Gigabyte GTX 670
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AS Rock Extreme 4 Z77 not detecting Gigabyte GTX 670

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Problem is as described above. Whenever my GPU is plugged in to the PCIE 3.0 slot on my motherboard, it is not detected by the board. I can't update GPU drivers or anything Nvidia related because the board is not detected in the BIOS. It works when plugged into the 2.0 slot, but I get this weird issue where when I shut WIndows off, it shuts down correctly, but all the hardware remains on until I manually turn off the computer. I had this problem when I first bought the system and figured I just had a faulty motherboard, but I have already RMA'd the motherboard and the problem persists. I also checked to see if it was a RAM issue, but both sticks check out.
System is as follows:
AS Rock Extreme 4 Z77
Intel i5-3570
Gigabyte GTX 670
16 GB G-Skill RAM
256 GB Corsair SSD (boot)
post #2 of 16
Try updating your Bios
Try enabling/disabling PCI-E Gen3 in Bios
TheSadFlute
(16 items)
 
DyingHeart
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K TUF Sabertooth MSI 1080 Ti 16GB 2400MHz C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 480GB LE 3TB WD Green Sammy 500GB 850 EVO H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro  BenQ XR3501 Logitech G710+ EVGA G2 750W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Stryker Logitech G602 Asus Strix Nakamichi 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965BE  Sapphire 790X Zotac GTX650  4GB Corsair 1066 DDR2 (1GBx4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB WD 2TB Green Stock 3x120mm UQ fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro SP1 x64 LG 21' 1680x1050 Genius  Corsair CX600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Gigabyte  E-Blue Mazer XFX WarPad On-board 
Audio
Logitech G35 
  hide details  
Reply
TheSadFlute
(16 items)
 
DyingHeart
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K TUF Sabertooth MSI 1080 Ti 16GB 2400MHz C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair 480GB LE 3TB WD Green Sammy 500GB 850 EVO H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro  BenQ XR3501 Logitech G710+ EVGA G2 750W 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Stryker Logitech G602 Asus Strix Nakamichi 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965BE  Sapphire 790X Zotac GTX650  4GB Corsair 1066 DDR2 (1GBx4) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB WD 2TB Green Stock 3x120mm UQ fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro SP1 x64 LG 21' 1680x1050 Genius  Corsair CX600 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Gigabyte  E-Blue Mazer XFX WarPad On-board 
Audio
Logitech G35 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXXon View Post

Try updating your Bios
Try enabling/disabling PCI-E Gen3 in Bios
I already updated my bios. I suppose I could do that. Akin to powering something off and then back on?
post #4 of 16
You are not the only one with this problem. Just built my computer a few days ago, and I have a EVGA 670. I can get the video card to work randomly, it seems, but its success rate is pretty nil. However, integrated video works fine. I don't get it. I even have primary video set to PCI Express. Using the top PCI-E Slot.
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerkz View Post

You are not the only one with this problem. Just built my computer a few days ago, and I have a EVGA 670. I can get the video card to work randomly, it seems, but its success rate is pretty nil. However, integrated video works fine. I don't get it. I even have primary video set to PCI Express. Using the top PCI-E Slot.
I did notice others had gotten the issue as well, and I too can get it to work sporadically, but probably something like <10% of the time. Some fixes I had seen were resetting Cmos--didn't work--installing updated drivers--can't do that if the GPU isn't detected--updating Motherboard BIOS--didn't work--and today I will be putting a friend's GPU in the system to see if it will work; however, I don't feel this will be very accurate data as my GPU is capable of PCIE 3.0 which is the slot I am having trouble getting to work while his GPU is only 2.0.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krendog24 View Post

Problem is as described above. Whenever my GPU is plugged in to the PCIE 3.0 slot on my motherboard, it is not detected by the board. I can't update GPU drivers or anything Nvidia related because the board is not detected in the BIOS. It works when plugged into the 2.0 slot, but I get this weird issue where when I shut WIndows off, it shuts down correctly, but all the hardware remains on until I manually turn off the computer. I had this problem when I first bought the system and figured I just had a faulty motherboard, but I have already RMA'd the motherboard and the problem persists. I also checked to see if it was a RAM issue, but both sticks check out.
System is as follows:
AS Rock Extreme 4 Z77
Intel i5-3570
Gigabyte GTX 670
16 GB G-Skill RAM
256 GB Corsair SSD (boot)

The Z77 Extreme4 doesn't have any PCI-E 2.0 slots. It's 3.0 only. I would say that if it works in one slot and not the other, chances are it is a bad slot on the mobo. Try using a different video card, and if that doesn't work in the same slot, then you know what the problem is.
Pieced Together
(12 items)
 
Macbook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2120 EVGA Z77 FTW EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX PNY 2x4Gb 1866 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 240Gb CM Hyper TX3 Windows 10 LG 34UM95 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Seasonic 430W Rosewill Challenger Logitech G302 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 4278U Iris 5100 8Gb DDR3 256Gb PCIe SSD 
OSOS
El Capitan Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
Pieced Together
(12 items)
 
Macbook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2120 EVGA Z77 FTW EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX PNY 2x4Gb 1866 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 240Gb CM Hyper TX3 Windows 10 LG 34UM95 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Seasonic 430W Rosewill Challenger Logitech G302 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 4278U Iris 5100 8Gb DDR3 256Gb PCIe SSD 
OSOS
El Capitan Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by estabya View Post

The Z77 Extreme4 doesn't have any PCI-E 2.0 slots. It's 3.0 only. I would say that if it works in one slot and not the other, chances are it is a bad slot on the mobo. Try using a different video card, and if that doesn't work in the same slot, then you know what the problem is.
Oh, you are correct, it does not have any 2.0 slots; however, I doubt it is a bad port on the motherboard as I have already RMA'd the motherboard and am still having the problem.
post #8 of 16
So it works on the bottom slot but not the top?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Pieced Together
(12 items)
 
Macbook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2120 EVGA Z77 FTW EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX PNY 2x4Gb 1866 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 240Gb CM Hyper TX3 Windows 10 LG 34UM95 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Seasonic 430W Rosewill Challenger Logitech G302 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 4278U Iris 5100 8Gb DDR3 256Gb PCIe SSD 
OSOS
El Capitan Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
Pieced Together
(12 items)
 
Macbook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2120 EVGA Z77 FTW EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX PNY 2x4Gb 1866 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 240Gb CM Hyper TX3 Windows 10 LG 34UM95 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Seasonic 430W Rosewill Challenger Logitech G302 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 4278U Iris 5100 8Gb DDR3 256Gb PCIe SSD 
OSOS
El Capitan Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by estabya View Post

So it works on the bottom slot but not the top?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I did point this out in my post yes; however, if I use the bottom slot, I get a weird shut down error that I have already described.
post #10 of 16
Try another video card in the same slot, but I am guessing it is probably a bad video card. It seems like nvidia has had quite a few problems with the 670's reliability. I had to RMA the first one I got, and I have seen a lot of others who have had to RMA one or even two before they get one that works correctly. That would be my diagnosis based on the fact that you already RMAd the mobo, but if you have acces to one, try another video card to be sure.
Pieced Together
(12 items)
 
Macbook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2120 EVGA Z77 FTW EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX PNY 2x4Gb 1866 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 240Gb CM Hyper TX3 Windows 10 LG 34UM95 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Seasonic 430W Rosewill Challenger Logitech G302 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 4278U Iris 5100 8Gb DDR3 256Gb PCIe SSD 
OSOS
El Capitan Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
Pieced Together
(12 items)
 
Macbook Pro 13"
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 2120 EVGA Z77 FTW EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX PNY 2x4Gb 1866 CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 240Gb CM Hyper TX3 Windows 10 LG 34UM95 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Apple Keyboard Seasonic 430W Rosewill Challenger Logitech G302 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5 4278U Iris 5100 8Gb DDR3 256Gb PCIe SSD 
OSOS
El Capitan Windows 10 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › AS Rock Extreme 4 Z77 not detecting Gigabyte GTX 670