Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › 3k builds popular right now, yes? Advice on 3k build please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3k builds popular right now, yes? Advice on 3k build please - Page 4

post #31 of 105
Thread Starter 
anyways started to tentatively put this together here's a public wishlist of what I am thinking about, feedback loved, different ideas loved
PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20271092

3770k simply because even though I might be afraid to OC right away, with enough researching I might try since I like tinkering with things
690 because its one card, and as newer things come out it should drop in price eventually (possible sli in future?)
1000w psu for possibility of sli 690s in future, also because I like head room on my psu
g. skill ripjaw 4x4 I've always liked g.skill but very open to better options, stuck this here because MOBO has list of specific ram and feedback has shown it picky with ram outside of list, ideally wanting 2x8gb though having trouble telling myself I really need the upgrade room. most ram used was on Photoshop CS5 with over 200 layers on a canvas bigger than my monitor
ASRock Z77 Extreme9 LGA 1155 party because it offers 2x16 option, partly because I love the black/yellow design (okay, so I'm really digging the colors for some reason)
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/ mainly because this suggestion looked really good

price so far: 2303.94

checked out combo deals and could save about 60.00s by swapping ram and psu
same items above except
OCZ ZX Series 1250W Fully-Modular 80PLUS
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Edited by archenstone - 8/17/12 at 10:56pm
Entry Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom x4 3.2 ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5 4gbs dual channelal 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd 320 sata dvd burner win 7 32bit [upgrading soon] asus 22" flat screen hdtv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
hp ultra 600w old grey case logitech wireless 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
Entry Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom x4 3.2 ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5 4gbs dual channelal 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd 320 sata dvd burner win 7 32bit [upgrading soon] asus 22" flat screen hdtv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
hp ultra 600w old grey case logitech wireless 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by archenstone View Post

anyways started to tentatively put this together here's a public wishlist of what I am thinking about, feedback loved, different ideas loved
PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20271092
3770k simply because even though I might be afraid to OC right away, with enough researching I might try since I like tinkering with things
690 because its one card, and as newer things come out it should drop in price eventually (possible sli in future?)
1000w psu for possibility of sli 690s in future, also because I like head room on my psu
g. skill ripjaw 4x4 I've always liked g.skill but very open to better options, stuck this here because MOBO has list of specific ram and feedback has shown it picky with ram outside of list, ideally wanting 2x8gb though having trouble telling myself I really need the upgrade room. most ram used was on Photoshop CS5 with over 200 layers on a canvas bigger than my monitor
ASRock Z77 Extreme9 LGA 1155 party because it offers 2x16 option, partly because I love the black/yellow design (okay, so I'm really digging the colors for some reason)
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/ mainly because this suggestion looked really good
price so far: 2303.94

Looks like it'll be a great build that totally discards any pretense of aiming for good price/performance. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Also, make sure the PSU is of a reputable brand. Most of them at that wattage are, but I'm just sayin'
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
G850 ASRock H61M-GS MSI Twin Frozr 650ti Patriot 2x2GB 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerMouse
Barracuda 500GB HR-02 Macho Rosewill Green 430 Mionix Naos 3200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 105
i would go with an x79 setup so when IB-E comes out you can easily pop one in. The 3820 (3930k is really king but alot more $$$) is a great chip and you obviously wont see any benefit from the better integrated graphics on IB. Honestly the 690 is just a waste. My sig rig runs everything i throw at it with ease. I would go with a single 680 and a nice water cooling setup with the money you save and if you're trying to get 120fps because you have a 120hz monitor or you're gaming on a 2560X1440 monitor you can always just add a 680
BTW... I had the exact same situation 2 months ago and my sig rig is what I did with $2500 of my insurance settlement biggrin.gif
Jenn
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-3930k Asus rampage 4 extreme EVGA 670 FTW Patriot Viper Extreme  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4  Asus 12X BDRW XSPC Raystorm RX360 Kit XSPC RX120mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
9X120mm Silenx 74CFM 15dBA Fans Radiator Fans: 4X120mm Delta 113.11CFM Jet Engi... Windows 7 Professional 64bit ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED 24"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Cooler Master RS850-AMBAJ3-US Silent Pro M 850W Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra Cooler Master Storm 
  hide details  
Reply
Jenn
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-3930k Asus rampage 4 extreme EVGA 670 FTW Patriot Viper Extreme  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4  Asus 12X BDRW XSPC Raystorm RX360 Kit XSPC RX120mm Radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
9X120mm Silenx 74CFM 15dBA Fans Radiator Fans: 4X120mm Delta 113.11CFM Jet Engi... Windows 7 Professional 64bit ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED 24"  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Cooler Master RS850-AMBAJ3-US Silent Pro M 850W Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra Cooler Master Storm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by archenstone View Post

anyways started to tentatively put this together here's a public wishlist of what I am thinking about, feedback loved, different ideas loved
PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20271092
3770k simply because even though I might be afraid to OC right away, with enough researching I might try since I like tinkering with things
690 because its one card, and as newer things come out it should drop in price eventually (possible sli in future?)
1000w psu for possibility of sli 690s in future, also because I like head room on my psu
g. skill ripjaw 4x4 I've always liked g.skill but very open to better options, stuck this here because MOBO has list of specific ram and feedback has shown it picky with ram outside of list, ideally wanting 2x8gb though having trouble telling myself I really need the upgrade room. most ram used was on Photoshop CS5 with over 200 layers on a canvas bigger than my monitor
ASRock Z77 Extreme9 LGA 1155 party because it offers 2x16 option, partly because I love the black/yellow design (okay, so I'm really digging the colors for some reason)
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/ mainly because this suggestion looked really good
price so far: 2303.94
checked out combo deals and could save about 60.00s by swapping ram and psu
same items above except
OCZ ZX Series 1250W Fully-Modular 80PLUS
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Sounding pretty similar to my build but I have to say the gtx690 is way over kill for 1080p, so unless your grabbing a 1440p monitor, I'd just prlurchase a 670/680, with the 690 on 1080p before I got my 1440p screen I was hitting 160+fps without Turbo boost, on my 1440p screen I'm hitting around 130+ fps.. save you money for the watercooling aspect.
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 105
But your also forgetting the recent statement by the OP of this kind of being a "once in lifetime" thing so shes gotta go a little bigger than needed for "future proofing"

A 690 would be a great idea. It is kind of a sli config with two gpus in one.

A psu 850+ would be great for possible future sli. However it manufacturing processes get smaller and smaller they may take less power. If you choose a psu with this budget and have no intentions of doing tri/quad sli an 800 psu possibly 80 platinum cert would be great.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151111

Also definitely go with a board that does 16x/16x and has pci 3.0 even though 4.0 is supposed to out next year. Hopefully that launch will at least push 3.0 limits. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135304



3770k is good and on this budget I would get fastest ram possible. corsair is supposed to have 3000 speed ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ST0B32412
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231597
Fresh Phenom 007
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k ASUS Maximus Impact 7 GTX 470 G.Skill Trident 2400 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M5 Western Digital 2.5" D5 Custom Loop Windows 8 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
50" HDTV Logitech K400R Silverstone SX-600-G Bitfenix Phenom M 
  hide details  
Reply
Fresh Phenom 007
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k ASUS Maximus Impact 7 GTX 470 G.Skill Trident 2400 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M5 Western Digital 2.5" D5 Custom Loop Windows 8 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
50" HDTV Logitech K400R Silverstone SX-600-G Bitfenix Phenom M 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 105
Thread Starter 
mister fred do have a recommendation for better priced parts for around the same performance? the power supply up there is
SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply thinking if I'm going to go high, might as well get the best energy efficiency for it

and struddles, why is the 1 690 a waste? I figured it would do me well for years to come. Since you mention water cooling, what would you recommend? I currently have a IN WIN Dragon Rider Black 1.0 - 0.8mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case I've only had it for 6 months so I would like to keep using it if possible

current monitor is getting updated to something nicer. I have to admit though, while some people have said I have a crappy monitor, this thing has survived unfortunate attempts of sabotage and being thrown. So while it may not be gamers paradise, it is one hard core monitor in terms of endurance.

drnilly: you say 850 would be fine? so chances are I can save money there?
also neither of those ram are on the compatible list for the asrock mobo, I would like a recommendation of a different mobo in order to consider these options, ty
Edited by archenstone - 8/17/12 at 11:14pm
Entry Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom x4 3.2 ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5 4gbs dual channelal 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd 320 sata dvd burner win 7 32bit [upgrading soon] asus 22" flat screen hdtv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
hp ultra 600w old grey case logitech wireless 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
Entry Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom x4 3.2 ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5 4gbs dual channelal 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd 320 sata dvd burner win 7 32bit [upgrading soon] asus 22" flat screen hdtv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
hp ultra 600w old grey case logitech wireless 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperTeamTango View Post

^ hell just froze.

thumb.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k, 2700k, 34 lga 775 chippers z68x-ud4, MIVE, Commando's, and crap FX5500, 6970, 6670, 4890, and junk Team D9's/ Ballistix D9's, Muskin Hypers !! 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 / WD 500 / 640 Caviar Blue Asus Lightscribe / LG Win7/Vista/XP/Server 08 EE Acer P235H 1920 X 1080 HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Ill. Mushkin 1200 Joule CM690 II Adv/Tech Bench DiamondBack 3G 
Mouse Pad
eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k, 2700k, 34 lga 775 chippers z68x-ud4, MIVE, Commando's, and crap FX5500, 6970, 6670, 4890, and junk Team D9's/ Ballistix D9's, Muskin Hypers !! 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 / WD 500 / 640 Caviar Blue Asus Lightscribe / LG Win7/Vista/XP/Server 08 EE Acer P235H 1920 X 1080 HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Ill. Mushkin 1200 Joule CM690 II Adv/Tech Bench DiamondBack 3G 
Mouse Pad
eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by archenstone View Post

mister fred do have a recommendation for better priced parts for around the same performance? the power supply up there is
SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply thinking if I'm going to go high, might as well get the best energy efficiency for it
and struddles, why is the 1 690 a waste? I figured it would do me well for years to come. Since you mention water cooling, what would you recommend? I currently have a IN WIN Dragon Rider Black 1.0 - 0.8mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case I've only had it for 6 months so I would like to keep using it if possible

If future proof and overkill is what you want by all means buy it but that's 1k gone from you budget which leaves you with 2k for everything else and for a decent water cooling loop that includes your graphics card I'd at least set aside $500-$600, and far your case goes its alrite but doesn't look the freindliest to watercool.. but if you have memories with it and wanna keep it but the hard drive cages would have to go.. but ya decide weather or not you want to drop 1k of your budget on the gpu
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 105
Thread Starter 
if memory serves me right 2 680s is 1052.00s and more power hungry, I was thinking of that when I picked the 690. If you have a better idea though I am all ears. I'm used to budget building my pc 200-500 dollars at a time, not to mention using only phenom processors or older athlons. This would be my first high end build and my first intel plus I am looking at brands I am not familiar with, which always makes me leery.
Entry Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom x4 3.2 ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5 4gbs dual channelal 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd 320 sata dvd burner win 7 32bit [upgrading soon] asus 22" flat screen hdtv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
hp ultra 600w old grey case logitech wireless 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
Entry Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom x4 3.2 ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5 4gbs dual channelal 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd 320 sata dvd burner win 7 32bit [upgrading soon] asus 22" flat screen hdtv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
hp ultra 600w old grey case logitech wireless 
Mouse Pad
none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by archenstone View Post

if memory serves me right 2 680s is 1052.00s and more power hungry, I was thinking of that when I picked the 690. If you have a better idea though I am all ears. I'm used to budget building my pc 200-500 dollars at a time, not to mention using only phenom processors or older athlons. This would be my first high end build and my first intel plus I am looking at brands I am not familiar with, which always makes me leery.

A single 670/680 is more then enough for 1080p

2x 680s vs 690
The 690 is 6-8% worse in performance (which is amazing scaling)
Generates less heat
Uses less power
And looks sexy doing it!

Are you going to watercool right away? Or sometime in the mere future because if you watwrcoolimg right away I'd get the evga hydro copper 690.
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Devil's Lair
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K Asus Maximus VII Hero MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
240GB M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SilverStone Tundra TD03-E Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2913WM Corsair K65 EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2  SilverStone Raven RV05 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Steelseries Rival  Steelseries Qck+ Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › 3k builds popular right now, yes? Advice on 3k build please