Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Mercury from lcd monitor making me sick?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mercury from lcd monitor making me sick?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I know that the lcd monitors use fluorescent lighting with mercury in them, and I'm sensitive to mercury, so was wondering if this could be problematic to me?

I've been getting memory issues, fogginess and similar mercury symptoms ever since I bought this new samsung monitor...is it possible that enough mercury is being emitted that I'm getting sick?

I went on vacation for four days and my head cleared all up, but as soon as I got back home and used the computer, the negative symptoms came back so just wanted to know if this is an issue.

Thanks
post #2 of 6

I'm looking at your other 2 threads, and I can't think of what the cause could be.  I don't have any problems with my LCD monitor, and I literally live at my computer.  I'm not kidding:  I sit here from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to sleep.  this is usually 18-30 hours and I feel fine.  I never feel different when I'm away or when I come back.

 

In your most recent thread, you considered that maybe it is your 300W PSU.  So, which make and model 300W PSU do you have?

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.416V in Offset Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail Samsung 2253BW (1680 x 1050) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (not 1.1A) Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.400-1.416V in Offset Mode) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail Samsung 2253BW (1680 x 1050) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (not 1.1A) Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
The monitor should not be the culprit. Unless the lamps are damaged (in which case they wouldn't work at all) the mercury isn't released.

The fluorescent lighting uses mercury to produce the light by passing electricity through it while it is under very low pressures. If the mercury comes out, then the lamp cannot emit light.

The concern over mercury release with the fluorescent bulbs is when they break or opened. If you have dropped the a CFL bulb and it shattered then you would become exposed to the mercury.
post #4 of 6
You'll ultimately have to speak to an M.D about this one, as initial answers say one shouldn't be affected but it may be an extenuation/placebo in knowing that there is mercury present.
 
Alienware 13
(10 items)
 
Alienware Alpha
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k 4.0Ghz  MSI Z87 G65 MSI 780 Lightning + 550 Ti SC PhysX G.Skill Trident X 16GB @ 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair 480GB+1TB WD Black H100 Push|Pull W8.1 Pro|Start8 U2713HM + U22 LED + ACz1 Mount 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
RealForce 87U 55g  Corsair HX1050 Corsair 650D G500 
Audio
STX+SP2500, Asgard 2+HD650 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-5500U nVidia GTX 960m OC HyperX DDR3 16GB 1.35v M.2 Samsung 256GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 850 EVO 500GB Windows 8.1|Start 8 IPS FHD 1920x1080 Alienware FX 
AudioOther
SoundBlaster X-Fi Killer NIC-Wireless 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4785T, 3.2Ghz 8MB nVidia 960m OC 8GB LDDR3 1.35v 256GB Samsung SSD 
OSAudio
Windows 8.1|Start 8 DragonFly v1.2 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Alienware 13
(10 items)
 
Alienware Alpha
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k 4.0Ghz  MSI Z87 G65 MSI 780 Lightning + 550 Ti SC PhysX G.Skill Trident X 16GB @ 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair 480GB+1TB WD Black H100 Push|Pull W8.1 Pro|Start8 U2713HM + U22 LED + ACz1 Mount 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
RealForce 87U 55g  Corsair HX1050 Corsair 650D G500 
Audio
STX+SP2500, Asgard 2+HD650 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7-5500U nVidia GTX 960m OC HyperX DDR3 16GB 1.35v M.2 Samsung 256GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
M.2 850 EVO 500GB Windows 8.1|Start 8 IPS FHD 1920x1080 Alienware FX 
AudioOther
SoundBlaster X-Fi Killer NIC-Wireless 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 4785T, 3.2Ghz 8MB nVidia 960m OC 8GB LDDR3 1.35v 256GB Samsung SSD 
OSAudio
Windows 8.1|Start 8 DragonFly v1.2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Someone brought this back to life for me.

You need FLICKER-FREE computer monitors. (it's the stupid energy efficient model types that are causing these dumb flickerings).

This place gives you some good leads: http://pcmonitors.info/forum/topic/flicker-free-monitors
post #6 of 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Mercury from lcd monitor making me sick?