Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 660 Ti vs. GTX 670
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GTX 660 Ti vs. GTX 670 - Page 34

post #331 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Hmmm ok. What can you say about the MSI though? In terms of overclockability, does the EVGA win hands down?
How about the ASUS ones? Is unlocked voltage important nowadays for overclocking? Which of these are voltage unlocked?

avoid the ASUS cards as they are too many complaints. the MSI card's cooler is better than EVGA but not as good as Gigabyte WF3 . All of these cards overclock well without voltage increase. Voltage is locked on all Kepler cards as a result of Nvidia's warranty policy with card manufacturers.
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #332 of 363
Just Pick the cheapest and have a best customer support in your country, as for me, I would pick MSI GTX 670 PE, because its the cheapest, great card, and have a best customer support in my country.
My BIG Spirit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700K KabyLake CPU @5.0 GHz MSI Z270 Gaming M7 Motherboard MSI GTX 670 Power Edition Graphics Card Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000 MHz 16 GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor SSD 512 GB as OS Drive Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB Hitachi Hardisk 1 TB HDD ASUS DVD RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i Windows 10 PRO x64 Dell 22 Inch DSR @ 2560 x 1440 (from original 1... Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX760 80+ Platinum PSU Corsair Vengeance C70 Chassis Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
My BIG Spirit
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700K KabyLake CPU @5.0 GHz MSI Z270 Gaming M7 Motherboard MSI GTX 670 Power Edition Graphics Card Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000 MHz 16 GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Plextor SSD 512 GB as OS Drive Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB Hitachi Hardisk 1 TB HDD ASUS DVD RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i Windows 10 PRO x64 Dell 22 Inch DSR @ 2560 x 1440 (from original 1... Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX760 80+ Platinum PSU Corsair Vengeance C70 Chassis Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #333 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Hmmm ok. What can you say about the MSI though? In terms of overclockability, does the EVGA win hands down?
How about the ASUS ones?
Is unlocked voltage important nowadays for overclocking? Which of these are voltage unlocked?
Hi Kevin,

First of all, nice to find out that you finally made your choice. This however proves to me that sometimes you just have to go for something. Your initial post was about 3 months ago, meaning you could have had 3 months of pleasure with a nice GTX670 already. That alone would have been worth the 100 dollar price difference with the 660ti to me personally wink.gif.

Anyway, now about your choice of brand:

IMO the main cards to consider are the cards from MSI (Power Edition), Asus (DirectCU 2), Gigabyte (Windforce) and EVGA (FTW).

First of all, the EVGA FTW is interesting because it simply is EVGA (great service). However, I believe that this card makes by far the most noise. If you can live with that, great choice. Otherwise, there's plenty of other good cards out there. Because of the quality of the other models, I would personally not pick the EVGA because of the noise.

The Asus is also a great card (TOP or non-TOP). I've got one myself, and even with the fans at 100% it is very, very quiet. Besides that, I like having a good looking PC, and this card just looks great IMO. It comes with a backplate as well, which looks awesome. I've heard plenty of less positive stories about Asus' service in the US though. In short: quiet, great looking, but less service.

The MSI power edition also looks great IMO. However, it doesn't come with a backplate, which is too bad IMO. It seems like a great card to me though, it is not expensive at all compared to the other models, and I've heard it's really quiet as well. I'd say great choice. It is the only 670 that comes with unlocked voltage as well I believe. However, I wouldn't really care about that unless you want to do some really serious overclocking. In short: a little less great looking than the Asus, but probably better service than Asus, and quiet.

The Gigabyte Windforce is also a nice card. However, be warned: blue PCB! Lol, I really hate that. Therefore, to me it was a no-go. Because of the blue PCB, it looks horrific IMO wink.gif. However, it is supposed to be really quiet as well.

To sum things up, it all depends on what you prefer:
  • If you really care about service and not about noise: go EVGA
  • If you care about noise and looks: go Asus
  • If you care about overall balance but not about looks: go Gigabyte
  • If you care about overall balance: go MSI

Personally, I would go with Asus (looks) or MSI (mix of great things). But really, the final choice depends on what you prefer. Anyway, in-game performance will barely differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

avoid the ASUS cards as they are too many complaints. the MSI card's cooler is better than EVGA but not as good as Gigabyte WF3 . All of these cards overclock well without voltage increase. Voltage is locked on all Kepler cards as a result of Nvidia's warranty policy with card manufacturers.
In terms of complaints with the Asus: yes there were complaints initially because the TOP card was clocked too high. However, there is a firmware update available that should solve these issues, and I believe it has. So I wouldn't worry about that anymore.
Edited by keesgelder - 11/12/12 at 3:48am
Main rig
(15 items)
 
Spare rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K Asus Sabertooth Z87 2X EVGA 1080 FE SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB Crucial M500 960GB SSD LiteOn iHBS112 BD-RE Corsair H100i w/ 2X Noctua NF-F12 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro LG 34UM95-P Realforce 87U Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudio
In Win Tòu Logitech G502 Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
Main rig
(15 items)
 
Spare rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K Asus Sabertooth Z87 2X EVGA 1080 FE SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB Crucial M500 960GB SSD LiteOn iHBS112 BD-RE Corsair H100i w/ 2X Noctua NF-F12 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro LG 34UM95-P Realforce 87U Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudio
In Win Tòu Logitech G502 Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #334 of 363
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

avoid the ASUS cards as they are too many complaints. the MSI card's cooler is better than EVGA but not as good as Gigabyte WF3 . All of these cards overclock well without voltage increase. Voltage is locked on all Kepler cards as a result of Nvidia's warranty policy with card manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesgelder View Post

Hi Kevin,
First of all, nice to find out that you finally made your choice. This however proves to me that sometimes you just have to go for something. Your initial post was about 3 months ago, meaning you could have had 3 months of pleasure with a nice GTX670 already. That alone would have been worth the 100 dollar price difference with the 660ti to me personally wink.gif.
Anyway, now about your choice of brand:
IMO the main cards to consider are the cards from MSI (Power Edition), Asus (DirectCU 2), Gigabyte (Windforce) and EVGA (FTW).
First of all, the EVGA FTW is interesting because it simply is EVGA (great service). However, I believe that this card makes by far the most noise. If you can live with that, great choice. Otherwise, there's plenty of other good cards out there. Because of the quality of the other models, I would personally not pick the EVGA because of the noise.
The Asus is also a great card (TOP or non-TOP). I've got one myself, and even with the fans at 100% it is very, very quiet. Besides that, I like having a good looking PC, and this card just looks great IMO. It comes with a backplate as well, which looks awesome. I've heard plenty of less positive stories about Asus' service in the US though. In short: quiet, great looking, but less service.
The MSI power edition also looks great IMO. However, it doesn't come with a backplate, which is too bad IMO. It seems like a great card to me though, it is not expensive at all compared to the other models, and I've heard it's really quiet as well. I'd say great choice. It is the only 670 that comes with unlocked voltage as well I believe. However, I wouldn't really care about that unless you want to do some really serious overclocking. In short: a little less great looking than the Asus, but probably better service than Asus, and quiet.
The Gigabyte Windforce is also a nice card. However, be warned: blue PCB! Lol, I really hate that. Therefore, to me it was a no-go. Because of the blue PCB, it looks horrific IMO wink.gif. However, it is supposed to be really quiet as well.
To sum things up, it all depends on what you prefer:
  • If you really care about service and not about noise: go EVGA
  • If you care about noise and looks: go Asus
  • If you care about overall balance but not about looks: go Gigabyte
  • If you care about overall balance: go MSI
Personally, I would go with Asus (looks) or MSI (mix of great things). But really, the final choice depends on what you prefer. Anyway, in-game performance will barely differ.
In terms of complaints with the Asus: yes there were complaints initially because the TOP card was clocked too high. However, there is a firmware update available that should solve these issues, and I believe it has. So I wouldn't worry about that anymore.

Thanks for these insights. The reason I didn't buy a GTX 670 three months ago was because I was still selling my 560 Ti back then. It is very hard to sell it here in our country and was able to get rid of it just last weekend. I may have to research about the warranty here in our country first before finally deciding which card to buy.

Also, why does this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1289489/gtx-680-670-unlocked-voltage-bios seem to mention that the voltages of all these cards are unlockable?
Edited by kevindd992002 - 11/12/12 at 6:37am
post #335 of 363

Has anyone tried and install the firmware update for the  Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 on a Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5. Basicly the firmware from the Top version to the Non Top version?  if so how did it go and where did you download the firmware upgrade.

 

Thanks

post #336 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Thanks for these insights. The reason I didn't buy a GTX 670 three months ago was because I was still selling my 560 Ti back then. It is very hard to sell it here in our country and was able to get rid of it just last weekend. I may have to research about the warranty here in our country first before finally deciding which card to buy.
Also, why does this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1289489/gtx-680-670-unlocked-voltage-bios seem to mention that the voltages of all these cards are unlockable?
Ah I see, we'll good think you got it sold in the end and you can start enjoying some real performance! thumb.gif

I had not seen that thread yet, I guess you can unlock the voltage by a bios flash. But, that's at your own risk, and I definitely wouldn't do it if you want to be on the safe side and don't want to overclock like crazy anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gponcho View Post

Has anyone tried and install the firmware update for the  Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 on a Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5. Basicly the firmware from the Top version to the Non Top version?  if so how did it go and where did you download the firmware upgrade.

Thanks
I haven't tried it myself, although my card overclocks very nicely. In theory it should work because the only actual difference between the non-TOP and the TOP is the clock speeds. However, if your non-TOP does not overclock well you might have crashes if you flash a TOP bios. Also, if you brick your card, it'll be entirely on you. In the end, you should ask yourself if it's worth it. If your card overclocks well, just overclock it to TOP speeds if you like, and you will have exactly the same performance.

The bios update can be downloaded here. Haven't tried it, but I guess it will likely give some error message if you use it on a non-TOP card. So, if it doesn't work, you should download your bios from somewhere else.

But honestly, I just wouldn't do it if I were you.
Edited by keesgelder - 11/12/12 at 8:31am
Main rig
(15 items)
 
Spare rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K Asus Sabertooth Z87 2X EVGA 1080 FE SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB Crucial M500 960GB SSD LiteOn iHBS112 BD-RE Corsair H100i w/ 2X Noctua NF-F12 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro LG 34UM95-P Realforce 87U Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudio
In Win Tòu Logitech G502 Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
Main rig
(15 items)
 
Spare rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K Asus Sabertooth Z87 2X EVGA 1080 FE SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB Crucial M500 960GB SSD LiteOn iHBS112 BD-RE Corsair H100i w/ 2X Noctua NF-F12 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro LG 34UM95-P Realforce 87U Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudio
In Win Tòu Logitech G502 Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #337 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by gponcho View Post

Has anyone tried and install the firmware update for the  Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 on a Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5. Basicly the firmware from the Top version to the Non Top version?  if so how did it go and where did you download the firmware upgrade.

Thanks

It probably won't work and you'd have to manually flash the ROM file if you can unpack it from the asus site. Plus you'd have to check to make sure the card is stable at the TOP version's clocks. You'd probably have to get the ROM file from someone here to flash it in NvFlash. But the major issue with the top cards is some chips wern't binned and wern't stable at the TOPs boost clock speed, thus creating a real problem from cards out-of-box crashing.
post #338 of 363
Thread Starter 
Is the TOP version of the ASUS still available right now? Is it recommended over the non-TOP?
post #339 of 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Is the TOP version of the ASUS still available right now? Is it recommended over the non-TOP?

Here in the Netherlands it is not available anymore. You can still order it at some stores but they say 10+ days of delivery time (and they have been saying that for a long time). They did quietly introduce the GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5 model here though, my guess is to replace the TOP. It only has a slight overclock though, nothing too special. The non-TOP is still easily available here. Anyway, get either one, the difference is maybe a couple FPS and you can always overclock a non-TOP if you want to play around (at least you will generally have some room to play around, what's the fun in having it done for you, especially when it's just a couple FPS difference). Once you start up BF3, you won't care anymore. It'll just be smooth.

IMO, the Asus 670 is a great card. If that's the card that caught your eye, I'd say enjoy!
Main rig
(15 items)
 
Spare rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K Asus Sabertooth Z87 2X EVGA 1080 FE SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB Crucial M500 960GB SSD LiteOn iHBS112 BD-RE Corsair H100i w/ 2X Noctua NF-F12 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro LG 34UM95-P Realforce 87U Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudio
In Win Tòu Logitech G502 Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
Main rig
(15 items)
 
Spare rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K Asus Sabertooth Z87 2X EVGA 1080 FE SLI Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB Crucial M500 960GB SSD LiteOn iHBS112 BD-RE Corsair H100i w/ 2X Noctua NF-F12 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro LG 34UM95-P Realforce 87U Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudio
In Win Tòu Logitech G502 Asus Xonar DGX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #340 of 363
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keesgelder View Post

Here in the Netherlands it is not available anymore. You can still order it at some stores but they say 10+ days of delivery time (and they have been saying that for a long time). They did quietly introduce the GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5 model here though, my guess is to replace the TOP. It only has a slight overclock though, nothing too special. The non-TOP is still easily available here. Anyway, get either one, the difference is maybe a couple FPS and you can always overclock a non-TOP if you want to play around (at least you will generally have some room to play around, what's the fun in having it done for you, especially when it's just a couple FPS difference). Once you start up BF3, you won't care anymore. It'll just be smooth.
IMO, the Asus 670 is a great card. If that's the card that caught your eye, I'd say enjoy!

Ah. But if I can still find a TOP, is it better than the non-TOP?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 660 Ti vs. GTX 670