Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Raven RV03 rear fan: intake or exhaust?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raven RV03 rear fan: intake or exhaust? - Page 2

post #11 of 18
haha... i was just wondering cause on a hot day my HDD's temp goes up to 44c so i was wondering if i should make the back plate fan intake or exhaust. :3 never too late to ask i suppose.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendari View Post

haha... i was just wondering cause on a hot day my HDD's temp goes up to 44c so i was wondering if i should make the back plate fan intake or exhaust. :3 never too late to ask i suppose.
Yeah that's a bit warm. Maybe an intake fan would be helpful for cooling those
Stryker-PC
(17 items)
 
 
Homemade NAS
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd apu a6-5400k msi onboard corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
western digital 2tb western digital 2tb hgst deskstar 3tb hgst deskstar 3tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
none nas4free hp logisys 480 
Case
logisys 
  hide details  
Reply
Stryker-PC
(17 items)
 
 
Homemade NAS
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd apu a6-5400k msi onboard corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
western digital 2tb western digital 2tb hgst deskstar 3tb hgst deskstar 3tb 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
none nas4free hp logisys 480 
Case
logisys 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendari View Post

haha... i was just wondering cause on a hot day my HDD's temp goes up to 44c so i was wondering if i should make the back plate fan intake or exhaust. :3 never too late to ask i suppose.
While 44c is on the high side your HDD is not in danger. I have a pair of 750GB HDD's that have run 34-45c for 4 years now.. one is my OS HDD.. and still going strong.

Western Digital Red
Operating Temperature: 0-70C
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2092/

Hatachi Deskstar
Operating Temperature: 5 to 60c
http://www.maxitmag.com/hardware-reviews/storage/hitachi-deskstar-7k1000-1tb-hard-drive-review.html

Seagate:
Operating Temperature: 5 to 50c
Newer models >60c
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/193771en
Edited by doyll - 7/26/13 at 8:40am
post #14 of 18
I have it as a intake and it did lower the temperatures of the GPU.
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mam72 View Post

I have it as a intake and it did lower the temperatures of the GPU.
I now have another issue. I bought the silver arrow extreme cooler and now I cannot use the top most PCI-E slot to plug in my audio card. I have it at bottom most at the moment. It completely blocks the fan's intake. frown.gif
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anusha View Post

I now have another issue. I bought the silver arrow extreme cooler and now I cannot use the top most PCI-E slot to plug in my audio card. I have it at bottom most at the moment. It completely blocks the fan's intake. frown.gif

Funny that I am using the SB-E too and i had the same problem so, I rotated the heat sink 90°, then I mounted the fans in the front of the case blowing into the heat sink. This will make it easier to acsess the PCI slots clip, something the Phanteks and the Noctua have problems with
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mam72 View Post

Funny that I am using the SB-E too and i had the same problem so, I rotated the heat sink 90°, then I mounted the fans in the front of the case blowing into the heat sink. This will make it easier to acsess the PCI slots clip, something the Phanteks and the Noctua have problems with
What's the direction of airflow through the heat sink? Front to back or back to front? Either way completely defies the case design though. Front to back would completely heat up the video card and other components. Back to front would allow hot air to be exhausted out using front exhaust fans. But the air intake to the CPU cooler won't be that "clean".
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anusha View Post

What's the direction of airflow through the heat sink? Front to back or back to front? Either way completely defies the case design though. Front to back would completely heat up the video card and other components. Back to front would allow hot air to be exhausted out using front exhaust fans. But the air intake to the CPU cooler won't be that "clean".

Trust me it is fine my OCed GPUs struggle to hit 70°C and this is in this horrible heat, You have the fans blowing onto the GPUs ( they are taking air blowing in from the front of the case onto the heatsink).

I know it sounds a little crazy but try it biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Raven RV03 rear fan: intake or exhaust?