Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › 2X Laing D5 vs 3x Laing DDC-3.2TP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2X Laing D5 vs 3x Laing DDC-3.2TP - Page 2

post #11 of 35
Two D-5's and you have redundancy and silence.
DUALBRAIN
(15 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon X5680 Xeon X5680 eVGA SR-2 eVGA GTX 780 Ti 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
eVGA GTX 780 Ti 24 GB Corsair Dominator Samsung 840 Pro Aqua Kryos x 2 CPU, Aqua Nickel Ti x 2, MIPS MB... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate Samsung 30" Func KB 460 & Happy Hacker Pro 2 Corsair 1200 AXi 
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH 10 Func Audio Engine 
  hide details  
Reply
DUALBRAIN
(15 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon X5680 Xeon X5680 eVGA SR-2 eVGA GTX 780 Ti 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
eVGA GTX 780 Ti 24 GB Corsair Dominator Samsung 840 Pro Aqua Kryos x 2 CPU, Aqua Nickel Ti x 2, MIPS MB... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate Samsung 30" Func KB 460 & Happy Hacker Pro 2 Corsair 1200 AXi 
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH 10 Func Audio Engine 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseekeroffun View Post

Two D-5's and you have redundancy and silence.


Two D5's is barely 2psi higher dynamic head pressure than one 35x. If you look at Martin's charts for RP452x vs 35x2, it's dumbfounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superericla View Post

Get a single PMP-450S (D5 Strong) and a 24V pump controller if you don't have extreme amounts of restriction. I get great flow out of mine.


This is the silliest one, double the cost of your one pump (pump+controller+top) for what? To match a single 35x.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 4820
(21 items)
 
SO's HTPC 3820
(21 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 4820
(21 items)
 
SO's HTPC 3820
(21 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 35
I have 2 mcp355 and 2 D5's.

With 2 mcp355 with EK top, I get 2.1 gpm in my current loop, with 2 D5's I get 1.8 gpm. Testing same mount and only switching out pumps, I get 0.2C better temps with 2 mcp355, with mcp35x might be 0.1C better temps yet.

Completely decoupling pumps with petra gel, using no screws through gel so sound is same as if held in my hand, 2 d5's can not be heard above 700 rpms fans on setting 4, or 800 rpm fan speed on setting 5, so I can have complete silence with 1.5gpm with 2 d5s on 4 and 700 rpm fan speed. Mcp 355 on a rheostat, because of the higher pitched sound, can be heard even at lower pump speeds unless you have fans running at least 1000-1100 rpms.

Like theseeker said, if you want dead silence, ie a computer that makes no more noise than a 700 rpm fan, get 2 d5's.

If you plan on running fans at 1100 rpms+ 24/7 then would get 1-2 mcp35x and get the ~0.5C better temps. I know mcp35x are pwm controlled, but unless very, very low speed, not as quiet as D5's, martins testing bears this out as well.

I was on a power phase last 8 yrs and always used ddc's, my last build was on quiet note...nothing louder than 700 rpm fans....except when stress testing.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.7ghz 1.29v Gigabyte Z97 UD5h Titan Corsair Dom 2x8gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb dual D5, 360 xspc + 280 sr1 rads Windows 7 64bit Samsung 27in LCD 1440 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Lian Li A71f 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.7ghz 1.29v Gigabyte Z97 UD5h Titan Corsair Dom 2x8gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb dual D5, 360 xspc + 280 sr1 rads Windows 7 64bit Samsung 27in LCD 1440 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Lian Li A71f 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Two D5's is barely 2psi higher dynamic head pressure than one 35x. If you look at Martin's charts for RP452x vs 35x2, it's dumbfounding.

I am well aware of the performance difference. However,two D-5's with EK tops will perform well enough for his loop and be quiet and redundant.
Edited by theseekeroffun - 8/20/12 at 7:00am
DUALBRAIN
(15 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon X5680 Xeon X5680 eVGA SR-2 eVGA GTX 780 Ti 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
eVGA GTX 780 Ti 24 GB Corsair Dominator Samsung 840 Pro Aqua Kryos x 2 CPU, Aqua Nickel Ti x 2, MIPS MB... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate Samsung 30" Func KB 460 & Happy Hacker Pro 2 Corsair 1200 AXi 
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH 10 Func Audio Engine 
  hide details  
Reply
DUALBRAIN
(15 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon X5680 Xeon X5680 eVGA SR-2 eVGA GTX 780 Ti 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
eVGA GTX 780 Ti 24 GB Corsair Dominator Samsung 840 Pro Aqua Kryos x 2 CPU, Aqua Nickel Ti x 2, MIPS MB... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate Samsung 30" Func KB 460 & Happy Hacker Pro 2 Corsair 1200 AXi 
CaseMouseAudio
Case Labs TH 10 Func Audio Engine 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by opt33 View Post

I have 2 mcp355 and 2 D5's.
With 2 mcp355 with EK top, I get 2.1 gpm in my current loop, with 2 D5's I get 1.8 gpm. Testing same mount and only switching out pumps, I get 0.2C better temps with 2 mcp355, with mcp35x might be 0.1C better temps yet.
Completely decoupling pumps with petra gel, using no screws through gel so sound is same as if held in my hand, 2 d5's can not be heard above 700 rpms fans on setting 4, or 800 rpm fan speed on setting 5, so I can have complete silence with 1.5gpm with 2 d5s on 4 and 700 rpm fan speed. Mcp 355 on a rheostat, because of the higher pitched sound, can be heard even at lower pump speeds unless you have fans running at least 1000-1100 rpms.
Like theseeker said, if you want dead silence, ie a computer that makes no more noise than a 700 rpm fan, get 2 d5's.
If you plan on running fans at 1100 rpms+ 24/7 then would get 1-2 mcp35x and get the ~0.5C better temps. I know mcp35x are pwm controlled, but unless very, very low speed, not as quiet as D5's, martins testing bears this out as well.
I was on a power phase last 8 yrs and always used ddc's, my last build was on quiet note...nothing louder than 700 rpm fans....except when stress testing.

Thanks for posting all this info. Great indeed. +rep for you. thumb.gif I love my D5. Doesn't overheat and is quiet.
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 35
Thread Starter 
post #17 of 35
That D5 is overkill and overpriced...

out of those two I would do with the 35x2....that being said a single D5 would be enough.
 
For Sale: [For Sale] 2x Sapphire R9-290s
$200 (USD) or best offer
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930k @4.8-5.2 Asus Rampage IV Extreme Sapphire R9-290 (Unlocked) Sapphire R9-290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @1866C9 Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black 2x Hitatchi 4TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Rampage IV Extreme Water Block D5 + XSPC Pump Top XSPC EX480, EX360 XSPC Raystorm CPU 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Advanced 250mL Res Copper Tubing w/ push fittings EK-FC R9-290X EK-Ascendacy Fan Controller 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Professional w/o Metro Mint15 / Ubuntu 13.04 Samsung U28D590D 4K Leopold Otaku 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200i Silverstone TJ07, heavily modified Corsair M65 Sennheiser HD595 / HD428 / HD280 
AudioAudio
Corsair SP2500 Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
 
For Sale: [For Sale] 2x Sapphire R9-290s
$200 (USD) or best offer
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930k @4.8-5.2 Asus Rampage IV Extreme Sapphire R9-290 (Unlocked) Sapphire R9-290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @1866C9 Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black 2x Hitatchi 4TB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Rampage IV Extreme Water Block D5 + XSPC Pump Top XSPC EX480, EX360 XSPC Raystorm CPU 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Advanced 250mL Res Copper Tubing w/ push fittings EK-FC R9-290X EK-Ascendacy Fan Controller 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Professional w/o Metro Mint15 / Ubuntu 13.04 Samsung U28D590D 4K Leopold Otaku 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200i Silverstone TJ07, heavily modified Corsair M65 Sennheiser HD595 / HD428 / HD280 
AudioAudio
Corsair SP2500 Asus Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 35

The 35x2 will beat dual 24v D5s and will consume less wattage than 1 24v D5, a lot less.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 4820
(21 items)
 
SO's HTPC 3820
(21 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 4820
(21 items)
 
SO's HTPC 3820
(21 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 35
Martins testing had 1 D5s at 24v with 8.5 psi and flow of 0.95 gpm with high restriction and 2.5gpm with low restriction per here

vs Martins testing of 1 mcp35x at 12 v with 6.5 psi and flow of 0.85 gpm with high restriction and 2.25 gpm at low restriction per here.

Or manufacturer specs, 1x D5s has 19 ft of head at 24V per koolance (2 would be 38ft head) here.
1x ddc 35x has 14.7 feet of head at 12v (2 would be 29.4 feet) per swiftech here.

Though agreed mcp35x are way more power efficient and consume less wattage, and may give better temps since flow is similar, but dump less heat in loop, or possibly a wash depending on ones loop.
Edited by opt33 - 8/20/12 at 5:31am
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.7ghz 1.29v Gigabyte Z97 UD5h Titan Corsair Dom 2x8gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb dual D5, 360 xspc + 280 sr1 rads Windows 7 64bit Samsung 27in LCD 1440 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Lian Li A71f 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790K 4.7ghz 1.29v Gigabyte Z97 UD5h Titan Corsair Dom 2x8gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb dual D5, 360 xspc + 280 sr1 rads Windows 7 64bit Samsung 27in LCD 1440 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Lian Li A71f 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by opt33 View Post

Martins testing had 1 D5s at 24v with 8.5 psi and flow of 0.95 gpm with high restriction and 2.5gpm with low restriction per here
vs Martins testing of 1 mcp35x at 12 v with 6.5 psi and flow of 0.85 gpm with high restriction and 2.25 gpm at low restriction per here.
Or manufacturer specs, 1x D5s has 19 ft of head at 24V per koolance (2 would be 38ft head) here.
1x ddc 35x has 14.7 feet of head at 12v (2 would be 29.4 feet) per swiftech here.
Though agreed mcp35x are way more power efficient and consume less wattage, and may give better temps since flow is similar, but dump less heat in loop, or possibly a wash depending on ones loop.

Yer reading the graphs wrong. That's 7.2ps at just under 1gpm. 8.5psi is with zero, which is baseline.

The realistic point is ideal flow, 1.5gpm. What happens when you're closer to ideal flow, 1.5gpm? 24v D5 is 6.7psi vs 6.2psi.

Now what's the cost of configuring a D5 to run 24v? Are you going to run a top like 99% of the people who get D5's do? Either way it's a helluva lot more than one 35x (85+40+40), not just in price but cost of power consumption as well. It costs 22w to run a 35x at optimal flow versus 34w.

The kicker is that the D5 will be running full on 34w all the time unless you are actively at the control turning it down, where a 35x will be puttering along dialed down via the PWM 5-6w all automatic, hell 30% duty cycle is a bit more than I run at idle.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 4820
(21 items)
 
SO's HTPC 3820
(21 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 4820
(21 items)
 
SO's HTPC 3820
(21 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › 2X Laing D5 vs 3x Laing DDC-3.2TP